00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art

947 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-08 21:30:53

Tobyfox release a new under tale, and the internet loses it's mind with fan art of the same 2 characters in the same poses 1000x over.
Darksiders releases a legit badass female character, with a SICK design, and no one bats an eyelash.

This confuses the man.

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-09 00:53:42

Oh yeah, they're been a lot of angry fanart.

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-09 13:34:43

Lol I thought you meant

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-09 19:05:53

At 12/9/18 01:34 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Lol I thought you meant

LOL! See? This is what im talkin about. No one even really knows who she is for some reason. XD

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-15 18:39:01

That's Hilarious

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-15 19:18:27

You meant this?

It was shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-15 20:26:05

TBH that was the most advanced Windows game I've seen at the time.

I was even surprised Windows 3.1 could run such a beast...

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2018-12-15 20:50:47

Simplicity sells my friend

Because ur not furious enough

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-20 15:37:27

I misread the title as "lack of FURRY Fan Art" at first, and I'm like

"How about let's not."

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-21 02:56:53

At 2/20/19 03:37 PM, WhiskerMidi wrote: I misread the title as "lack of FURRY Fan Art" at first, and I'm like

"How about let's not."

same here, but to contribute to the topic, fanart of characters with particularly complex designs is hard to pull off.

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-21 05:07:50

I guess it's not as popular or have the same rabid cult following that Toby Fox has. Like I don't know anyone personally that even plays the Darksider games. But Undertale (lets be honest without Undertale Delta Rune wouldn't have been as popular right off the bat) is like universally known. You don't even have to have played the games to know some of the characters.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-21 16:43:49

At 12/15/18 08:26 PM, Painbringer wrote: TBH that was the most advanced Windows game I've seen at the time.

I was even surprised Windows 3.1 could run such a beast...

Do wonder what it was like to play something on Windows 3.1! How far back have you been? DOS and beyond?

Seems like an era when most people opted for other consoles for gaming purpose.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-21 18:36:58

At 2/21/19 04:43 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Do wonder what it was like to play something on Windows 3.1! How far back have you been?

Basically the contents of the Start Menu were stored on the desktop as program folders. Other than that, most Windows games were high resolution pixel 2D.

DOS and beyond?

DOS 3.x, Windows 3.1x (with DOS 6.x), Windows 95.

Seems like an era when most people opted for other consoles for gaming purpose.

Back then (early '90s) consoles were mostly for 2D platformers and fighting games.

To play the very first shooters you pretty much had to have a PC.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-22 05:08:22

At 2/21/19 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: Basically the contents of the Start Menu were stored on the desktop as program folders. Other than that, most Windows games were high resolution pixel 2D.

Definitely the best kind of resolution. :)

DOS 3.x, Windows 3.1x (with DOS 6.x), Windows 95.

Nice.

Back then (early '90s) consoles were mostly for 2D platformers and fighting games.

To play the very first shooters you pretty much had to have a PC.

Interesting. Looking back all the shooters I played were PC-based too, and that was on Windows 98 at earliest. It really took some time for consoles to overtake that niche... if they ever did. Good little history lesson here!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-23 02:28:01

At 2/21/19 02:56 AM, xjkappax wrote:
At 2/20/19 03:37 PM, WhiskerMidi wrote: I misread the title as "lack of FURRY Fan Art" at first, and I'm like

"How about let's not."
same here, but to contribute to the topic, fanart of characters with particularly complex designs is hard to pull off.

That's true. Fury's a pretty complicated character. She's colorful and distinct enough to be recognizable from a distance, but I feel that characters that get a lot of fanart are simpler ones with more basic shapes, like Shovel Knight or characters from Animal Crossing. That way there's more details to add from your own imagination. Undertale's simplistic style, I believe, is a huge part of why that game took off like it did.

Response to Surprised at lack of Fury Fan Art 2019-02-23 03:21:05

At 2/23/19 02:28 AM, WhiskerMidi wrote:
At 2/21/19 02:56 AM, xjkappax wrote:

"How about let's not."
That's true. Fury's a pretty complicated character. She's colorful and distinct enough to be recognizable from a distance, but I feel that characters that get a lot of fanart are simpler ones with more basic shapes, like Shovel Knight or characters from Animal Crossing. That way there's more details to add from your own imagination. Undertale's simplistic style, I believe, is a huge part of why that game took off like it did.

Also there's the connection factor, something that connects with audiences at a more emotional level is gonna get more attention and has more staying power, Mortal Kombat is cool and all but it's a pretty straightforward deal, ninja dudes and dudettes beat the ever living crap of each other in a tournament to the death, there is little journey or character growth, (we know there is but let's pretend we know little about MK)

While street fighter has a little more to it, Ryu and Ken are best bros, train together, travel the world kicking ass, Ken gets married, Ryu gets to be an uncle and as Ryu grows he becomes more relaxed and less angsty about his satsui no hado, this is gonna speak more to people, we grow, our bros get married, we become comfortable with who we are, now add more characters and dynamics, anime and animated movies and you have material ripe for fanart and fanfiction. Plus the franchise has been around for 25+ years.

Games and cartoons that talk to us and who we are and what we go through are more likely to elicit a lot of fan interest, relatability is needed, in the case of Fury, she might be badass but it's hard to identify one self with one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse summoned by the Charred Council and tasked in finding the Seven Deadly Sins.

None of this are rules, just things that seem to happen.