00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

suggestions on starting animation

353 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-04 15:09:20

I practiced on animation about a year ago in school and now that i have stopped on taking that class, i have been wondering on any suggestions if theres websites or videos on starting animation :)

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-04 20:51:48

At 12/4/18 03:09 PM, Dovahxull wrote: I practiced on animation about a year ago in school and now that i have stopped on taking that class, i have been wondering on any suggestions if theres websites or videos on starting animation :)

read the book "THE ANIMATOR'S SURVIVAL KIT"

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-06 00:43:12

At 12/4/18 08:51 PM, newrcm wrote:
At 12/4/18 03:09 PM, Dovahxull wrote: I practiced on animation about a year ago in school and now that i have stopped on taking that class, i have been wondering on any suggestions if theres websites or videos on starting animation :)

I personally would suggest getting hands on an animation software (There's some good ones like Pencil2D that is free, Opentoonz and Grease are also free) and just try making things move. Find tutorial videos to see how to use the basics of the software. You best learn it by trying it out yourself and discover things on your own first. If it is something you enjoy, then start looking into things like the animator's survival kit to understand the basic mechanics of animation.

The animation survival kit is a great resource, but its also a very cookie cutter response to give to anyone trying to get into animation. Treat the survival kit as a reminder of how to do a walk cycle, the principles and appeal.

Figure out your goals and what type of animation you want to get into. When I started learning animation, I began with sprite animation and stick figures because I thought those were awesome and I wanted to do that. I tried emulating anime on my own, especially those fight scenes. Study how those animators figured those scenes out. That's how a lot of my favorite animators got to where they're at and they didn't always rely on books for that stuff.

What I encourage you to do is find the animations that inspire you, go through them frame by frame and ask yourself why it works for you. That way you are actively learning on why an animated piece is successful.

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-06 04:25:05

At 12/6/18 12:43 AM, Stringbing wrote:
I personally would suggest getting hands on an animation software (There's some good ones like Pencil2D that is free, Opentoonz and Grease are also free) and just try making things move. Find tutorial videos to see how to use the basics of the software. You best learn it by trying it out yourself and discover things on your own first. If it is something you enjoy, then start looking into things like the animator's survival kit to understand the basic mechanics of animation.

The animation survival kit is a great resource, but its also a very cookie cutter response to give to anyone trying to get into animation. Treat the survival kit as a reminder of how to do a walk cycle, the principles and appeal.

Figure out your goals and what type of animation you want to get into. When I started learning animation, I began with sprite animation and stick figures because I thought those were awesome and I wanted to do that. I tried emulating anime on my own, especially those fight scenes. Study how those animators figured those scenes out. That's how a lot of my favorite animators got to where they're at and they didn't always rely on books for that stuff.

What I encourage you to do is find the animations that inspire you, go through them frame by frame and ask yourself why it works for you. That way you are actively learning on why an animated piece is successful.

Saw your stuff on twitter. Really cool!

You mentioned a few free software packages, Pencil2D seems to be your first suggestion, is that because you know the other not as deep, or are they are missing a feature that makes the superior in your mind?
I don't want to sound lazy. It's just that I had my hands on various painting and 3D software and they are not only vastly different in their handling but also in their focus. ^^°

I'll give Pencil2D a try later today. Thank you!

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-06 13:33:47

At 12/6/18 04:25 AM, Nachtmahr wrote:
At 12/6/18 12:43 AM, Stringbing wrote:

Saw your stuff on twitter. Really cool!

You mentioned a few free software packages, Pencil2D seems to be your first suggestion, is that because you know the other not as deep, or are they are missing a feature that makes the superior in your mind?
I don't want to sound lazy. It's just that I had my hands on various painting and 3D software and they are not only vastly different in their handling but also in their focus. ^^°

I'll give Pencil2D a try later today. Thank you!

Another one is Opentoonz that I know of, popularized that its the same open source used by studios like Ghibli animation. I've used it once but I found it a frustrating experience because it would often crash when I tried to save. The learning curve of that one is pretty steep, but people have made some good work with it. Ever since then there's a lot of tutorials for it now, but there are also free ones with easy to get into interfaces.

There's Clip Studio and Krita that are free too. Those two are raster, so its like animating on programs like tvpaint and photoshop.

But if you do have the budget, Animate CC (flash, and a lot of people from newgrounds use this) and toonboom (pretty highly expensive tho) are more mainstream and popular ones.

If you really want to learn classical hand drawn animation the best way (due to its limitations and requirement of discipline), then there's the traditional way paper and pencil with peg bars and light tables! However not everyone has access to that compared to free anim software.

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2018-12-07 09:26:40

Thank you!

Budget is a bit tight atm. Just like time, which is probably the bigger issue. I'll try pencil2D for starters. :)

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2019-01-09 14:25:39

I know alot of youtubers who does animations though the most advice i can give you is practice no amount of lectures or tutorial are going to help you improve more then practice. I share the videos btw.

Response to suggestions on starting animation 2019-01-09 16:46:04

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions I’ll use them to practice on animation for this year :)