00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FewThe just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Retrowave vst freebies

4,028 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Figure i'd compile this publicly since it's currently the number 2 question in my inbox after "can i use x for my Y pls?"

Note that i am limiting this to known stable releases that generally offer 64bit support alongside whatever else ( mac/linux etc ) as i do not believe in encouraging people to use wonky trash merely by virtue that it's still hosted somewhere.

Synth1 : Love it or hate it, it's still a nord lead and if you can't stomach the interface there's bajillions of patches for it found anywhere.

PG-8X : the world's only Roland JX-8P + PG800 controller emulation, possibly also the first virtual analog plugin that actually matched it's hardware counterpart 1:1 soundwise.

Tyrell Nexus 6 : Still no clue what the reference hardware for this one has been exactly but it's easily up there with any of U-HE's commercial offerings.

HY-Mono : Oberheim SEM emulation, has a randomize button probably on account of the interface being about as weird as the hardware was. Allegedly the special sauce in john carpenter's early gear list.

OB-Xd : Oberheim OB-X emulation, rather popular cus it sounds really nice.

Cobalt : Frankenstein of several 1980s hybrid synths i.e digital sound source/wavetable but an analog signal path or an analog filter or both. Easy to use, sounds good.

Various Roland Emulations : Notably the JUNO 60 chorus on this page is used by everyone and their goldfish though that said the instruments are perfectly usable too and on record as continuing to make people money.

Dexed : It's a Yamaha DX-7, as heard in anything post 1983 and still found in every second preset of your local church' keyboard. Over 9000 patches available for it anywhere so don't worry about it's notorious programming, you're not obligated to.

Charlatan : I despise how the envelopes on this thing work but according to the majority opinion that's just my problem so with that said, great sounding synth.

Various ancient Korg emulations : Great sounding stuff but do be aware that most of these abruptly stop audio playback while programming them on the fly which can be irritating, their string synth in particular is extremely nice imo.

Fathom mono : No idea what it's based on and while i'm not jazzed by the interface it is a rather powerful synth and sounds kinda in the UH-E Zebra ballpark imo.

Kamioooka : It's a modular stack, dunno what manufacturer if any was referenced but it does what it says on the tin and can sound rather nice.

Viking 1 : Think it's based on the Moog Voyager, even comes with a synthwave presets folder.

VCV Rack : I lack the prerequisite autism to get this to work as a plugin myself but from everything i've heard to date it's the only alternative to spending a small fortune on a Doepfer centric stack.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-03 21:46:07

Viking 1 and Tyrell 6 are the only shit I use. Best stuff ever.

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-04 16:46:29 (edited 2018-11-04 17:15:54)

At 11/3/18 09:46 PM, I0TA wrote: Viking 1 and Tyrell 6 are the only shit I use. Best stuff ever.

Yeah they're pretty awesome, real easy to dial in a nice sound and very flexible, i can imagine with these as your go to mono and poly analog duo you could fill entire libraries.

I think out of this line up most others might be too similar sounding for you, maybe Dexed could fill a spot for fm keys if you're into that or Cobalt for those other than basic analog sounds or maybe the PG-8X on account of a rather different character lending itself more for ethereal sounding stuff.

example in order of appearance

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-24 18:57:44

Here's a couple more i took a gander at.

Lokomotif : Sounds like either of the elder JUNOS to me. Seems to suffer from the audio playback stop workaround but it does come with variable waveforms making it versatile as well as very good sounding.

Free Alpha 3 : Can't say what it's based on, great sound though with a very particular character. Powerful too on account of having a rather substantial mod matrix. Doesn't come with an initialise patch for rolling your own so i went and made a sawtooth one which you can grab here, just put that in the "my sounds" folder post installation.

Helm : Another contender for easily standing shoulder to shoulder with a commercial plugin imo. Nice modern interface, very easy to use and quite powerful with a rich feature set. If in doubt, there's a manual on the site.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-27 09:13:03

Ooooh~
Saved.

I make video game remixes/mashups on soundcloud!

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-28 00:22:36 (edited 2018-11-28 00:24:11)

Dexed and Kamioooka are my favorite tho.
But I also plan to use Synth1, TyrellN6, OB-Xd and Helm.

-:[ROBLESK]:-

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-11-29 03:48:27 (edited 2018-11-29 03:48:47)

At 11/28/18 12:22 AM, RoblesK wrote: Dexed and Kamioooka are my favorite tho.

I changed my mind, I won't be planning to use OB-Xd.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-02 02:16:14

At 11/29/18 03:48 AM, RoblesK wrote:
At 11/28/18 12:22 AM, RoblesK wrote: Dexed and Kamioooka are my favorite tho.

Also won't be planning to use Helm.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-08 12:34:21

Yet more potentially interesting doodads.

Plex 2 : Full blown, old school wavetable synth by none other then the inventor of wavetable synthesis himself, what are the odds. Interface is a bit unorthodox at first glance but it's plenty easy to work with and sounds beautiful. There's a demo video linked on site and it comes with a manual.

JuceOPLVSTi : It's that one Yamaha chip wot everyone knows as the sound of most any dos game from the late 80s onwards. Same emulation used in dosbox, easy to use and it sounds like you'd expect it to so perfectly usable for anything retro including dos oriented chiptunes, a genre no doubt merely waiting to happen any day now.

Deducktion : Same dev of some other passeable tidbits, has that audio playback stop during tweaking that annoys me but it could just be my problem. Pro looking interface, easy to use with plenty of modulation options and it sounds good.

@RoblesK : Considering you already own Serum you can download free wavetables of vintage analog synths and use those instead or alternatively buy a bank of retro presets, there's bound to be a bajillion by now. By and large it's a synth that can do just about anything you need it to but suppose if you do want a dedicated analog counterpart i suggest taking a look at U-HE Diva.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-08 13:37:39 (edited 2018-12-08 13:40:03)

At 12/8/18 12:34 PM, AliceMako wrote: Yet more potentially interesting doodads.
@RoblesK : Considering you already own Serum

Actually I don't have Serum yet, I have to pay.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-18 04:50:14

At 12/2/18 02:16 AM, RoblesK wrote:

So far, the only ones I'm planning to get is Synth1 and Dexed. I stopped using Kamioooka many days ago

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-31 15:13:04

Keep getting this error when scanning Viking 1 in FL:

iu_989_6107401.png

Any idea how I can fix this? =p

in a beautiful place out in the country...

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2018-12-31 22:29:42

At 12/31/18 03:13 PM, Hyenaedon wrote: Keep getting this error when scanning Viking 1 in FL:

Here's an idea ; maybe remove the macosx version and install the windows version instead. It just might do the trick.iu_1024_1238232.png

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-01-01 23:02:33

At 12/31/18 10:29 PM, AliceMako wrote:
At 12/31/18 03:13 PM, Hyenaedon wrote: Keep getting this error when scanning Viking 1 in FL:

Here's an idea ; maybe remove the macosx version and install the windows version instead. It just might do the trick.

Well yeah even when I remove that version it fails. It comes with it whenever I download the plugin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-01-01 23:42:19

At 1/1/19 11:02 PM, Hyenaedon wrote:

Here's an idea ; maybe remove the macosx version and install the windows version instead. It just might do the trick.
Well yeah even when I remove that version it fails. It comes with it whenever I download the plugin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That could have been useful to mention right off the bat, still i can't smell if you're installing them both or if this means fl's bridge can't differentiate either way. Moving right along, you can contact the developer and run him through your situation. Odds are he can give you a better answer then anybody here.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-01-02 04:51:16

At 1/1/19 11:42 PM, AliceMako wrote:
At 1/1/19 11:02 PM, Hyenaedon wrote:

That could have been useful to mention right off the bat, still i can't smell if you're installing them both or if this means fl's bridge can't differentiate either way. Moving right along, you can contact the developer and run him through your situation. Odds are he can give you a better answer then anybody here.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks =)

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-01-05 19:40:44

Good stuff, thanks !

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-01-18 16:04:19

And more still.

Cheeze Machine 2 : Despite it's self deprecating name and the absence of a larger feature set ala the mk2 by full bucket, it does exactly what it says on the tin.Very easy to use and sounds exactly as you'd expect i.e. instant blade runner anything.

SuperWave P8 : Based and expanded upon the Roland JP8000 aka the original supersaw synth. Gui is quite dated but perfectly usable still and it sounds good, windows only unfortunately.

K3-V Extended : Modeled after the Kawai K3 this gizmo boasts wavetable and additive synthesis along with it's own peculiar sort of sample based transient modulation. Like the more famous K1 and Roland's D-50 all this mid 80s weird science can make it challenging to wrap your head around as a modern user though that said nothing today sounds q u i t e like these early days hybrid synths.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-07-10 22:15:44

VeeSeeVSTRack : It's the modular stack as described in my OP except some pocket protector made it a plug and play plugin for use in ones daw. Windows and linux, no mac version unfortunately.

T-Force Alpha Plus 2 : Not sure what it's modelled on, sounds good though, easy to use, bunch of features and effects. 64 bit windows only unfortunately.

Anadyomene : Gui is an eyesore but it's a moron proof fm synth all the same, very easy to use and it sounds great. Again, 64 bit windows only i'm afraid.

Ambient Reverb : In the absence of owning something ala valhalla shimmer or eventide's black hole, this is a terrific colossal space verb, great for sending a snare all over the place or just drowning your mix in verb like the cool dreamwave kids do. Windows only but both sets of bit divisions.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2019-12-16 14:14:54

RD-19 Drum Module : A proper drum synth for making your own drums/percussion/whatever from scratch, doesn't come with it's own sequencer unfortunately and it's 64 bit windows only but other then that, pretty useful and it sounds good.

MauSynth : Another virtual analog poly synth and another case of sound generation shutting off whilst manipulating sound on the fly, oh well. Sounds great, the black gui looks nice etc. Windows only but available in 32 and 64 bit.

OSL Chorus : While the TAL Juno chorus is pretty much the gold standard this little doodad adds a lot more control so you can go beyond the verbatim Juno 60 sound whenever you want to.

Valhalla Freq Echo : A frequency shifting delay effect which while obviously geared towards way freakier use than typically found in retrowave can still play several roles in your production if applied conservatively. I.e. chorus, spring reverb, tape style echo or plain digital delay, that much vaunted vhs warble.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2020-01-02 15:52:57

Since y'all sharing reverb plugins...

Dragonfly Reverb - the best free alternative to Valhalla Room. Excellent for synthwave reverb uses.

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2020-01-08 05:54:57

June-21 : Roland Alpha juno emulation, apparently on the fence whether it's trying to do the alpha 1 or 2 but suppose both is fine too, sounds incredibly good, arguably nicer than a paid one i own. Comes with a manual, windows and linux support as well as the original seven stage envelope so be aware that programming it is rather different from something with a conventional ADSR.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2020-05-26 06:27:38

Exact Lite : 4 op fm synth, easy to use, looks good etc presets are nothing to write home about so best suited to people already familiar with or willing to learn fm synthesis. 64 bit only windows and mac.

Drag : 4 oscs, plenty of modulation and shaping options, bunch of effects and despite how they're marketing it can do bread and butter sounds just fine. Windows only both sets of bit division.

Tricent mk III : Korg Trident mk II emulation, nice sounding synth. Windows and mac and while you're there maybe give the full bucket plugins another look see or update the ones you already had cus the dev finally managed to get rid of the sound playback stop during live tweaking which makes them all infinitely more usable.

Supermassive : Largest reverb i've ever heard, doubles as a hybrid delay near as i can tell. Windows and mac.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2020-07-14 15:58:51

K1v : Kawai k1 emulation, includes every expansion card along with the factory bank and thanks to it's current year interface it's considerably more user friendly than the hardware ever was. Currently 32 and 64 bit windows only but mac and au is on the way so watch this space.

HY-POLY Free : Slimmed down version of their premium version, 4 voices only but it sounds great, plenty of features etc. Windows and mac both bit divisions.

Fury-800 : KORG Poly 800 emulation, can't comment on programming it cus i haven't sat down for that yet but it sounds great.

Valhalla Space Modulator : Another valhalla thingamabob that does six or seven other things besides it's stated purpose depending on how you use it, this one's ostensibly a flanger so just like their other freebies great for adding interest to your sounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2020-11-25 09:10:28 (edited 2020-11-25 09:10:49)

T'is the season for... ...Serum-alikes?

Vital : From the creator of Helm and Little LFO for the Reason crowd ; looks like Serum, sounds like it to my ears and apparently does a couple tricks it's obvious inspiration doesn't. Much like Helm it's basically a commercial grade synth for nada though this one comes with paid options for more wavetables and more access to a text to speech conversion service of all things. Windows, mac and linux.

Graphite : Virtually the same deal though still a little bit rough around the edges, pumps and dumps itself somewhere in your user documents folder so be mindful of that. Gui could do with some more contrast for my eye sight but this might not bother you, sounds nice, professional layout etc. Mac and windows.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2021-01-06 18:18:12

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus : Unclear whether or not this stays a freebie indefinitely but it is for now. Based on a design moog made for radioshack in the early 80s, good looking, very easy to use and sounds fantastic. 64 bit only windows and mac.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2021-03-22 19:24:14

wow, these vsts are very interesting, maybe i wiil make a song just by using them.

And they are free! Thank you so much!

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2021-03-26 19:55:03 (edited 2021-03-26 19:55:18)

Voltage Modular : From the same dev as the moog emulation in the previous post, this is their basic modular synth package which they've now made a freebie.Comes with all the usual suspects for cobbling together your own modular patches as well as a delay and reverb module. Like all their offerings it's user friendly, good looking and sounding. 64 bit win/mac and protools native.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2021-03-27 01:49:26

DOWNLOAD XEN-FMTS2 AND XEN-FONT

theyre the only vsts i use, for Good Fuckin'g Reason.

Xen-FMTS 2 is a 4op "FM Synthesizer" with some upsettingly versatile tuning capabilities, plus the most wonky filter setup ever devised for even more extremely odd sound design.

XenFont is a soundfont player built off of the same engine, with a whole lotta other shit on top. Go get it. Plug in your gayass Glover 64 soundfont and turn it into some micromicromicrotonal drones.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrowave vst freebies 2021-04-18 15:22:48

Various modern hybrids : Numerous formerly commercial wavetable/additive/fm etc combos, there's also samplepacks kontakt libraries/instruments and utilities here so probably worth taking a gander. The serial for the plugins is either on the page itself or will show up in the download menu, i haven't tried them all yet but they look good and sound nice etc. All appears to be windows only and some of them offer both sets of bit divisions.

BBS Signature