00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Speed Demon (WIP) Criticism

312 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey everyone!

I'm in the middle of making a toon that is based on a Tumblr post I saw a while back and thought it would be fun to animate. Obviously, it is not finished yet but it will be soon!

https://pics.me.me/yabkat-ohen39-gets-pulled-over-cop-do-you-know-how-36183119.png

I'm going to post a link to my progress so far (unlisted) and I hope you get some thoughts on it. Let me also put a few points that I feel I should share.

(1) Yes, This is my first attempt at a completed animation.
(2) The live-action pictures on top of 2D animation is an intentional style choice and are not placeholders for future backgrounds or props. I find cartoons such as the Brak Show, Angela Anaconda, Tom Goes To the Mayor, ETC. very charming and want to emulate that style.
(3) SFX have not been added yet and will be the last step.
(4) Should I switch the position of the police car and the main character car? I noticed the cop pulls up from the back and enters the scene from the front. So I might correct this.
(5) I might add a part at the end where the grandma turns into a monster and eats him just because I think it would be entertaining but I have yet to decide if I wanna pick that battle. This would obviously lead to a title change for the cartoon since there would be no 'Demon' if I chose to not animate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzmYOyu22M&feature=youtu.be

Any thoughts and additions you think would work here? What do you like? What do you Hate? Do you have any advice to pass along? Please give me ANYTHING. I came to Newgrounds to submit art, get shit on and come back better so please be honest. That's what Newgrounds means to me. Honest criticism.

Speed Demon (WIP) Criticism

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Demon (WIP) Criticism 2018-10-01 19:30:32

Well firstly, i'd suggest mixing the audio first, then drawing the frames around the audio, as it's harder to make sound that syncs up with a video than it is to make a video that syncs up with the audio. of course, It's a bit too late for that, so dont worry this time.
Now about the animation: I'm not at liberty to say if it's good or not, as I am currently making my first animation (almost done too!). also I'm having troubles seeing it, but that's probably on my end. I do wish the best of luck to you, and perhaps we'll cross again.

Keep up the good work!

You can do anything, as long as it's cool i guess

At 10/1/18 07:30 PM, DaddyDiogenes wrote: Well firstly, i'd suggest mixing the audio first, then drawing the frames around the audio, as it's harder to make sound that syncs up with a video than it is to make a video that syncs up with the audio. of course, It's a bit too late for that, so dont worry this time.
Now about the animation: I'm not at liberty to say if it's good or not, as I am currently making my first animation (almost done too!). also I'm having troubles seeing it, but that's probably on my end. I do wish the best of luck to you, and perhaps we'll cross again.

Keep up the good work!

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for your criticism!
Next time I'll try to mix the audio better but I rushed passed the draft phase and went straight into making the cartoon so next time when I have a proper story board I'll have a layout to mix the audio better. I'm sure we will cross again. Thank you!

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Demon (WIP) Criticism 2018-10-08 15:12:06

hello! i like your animation. i think the mixing of 2d and 3d is a great style, i don't know the references you mention though so can't compare. i feel that there is an artistic decision about how much to ground 2d characters and props into 3d background / objects, and in my videos, to help this, i add the shadow (there is several ways to do this in after effects that i learned on youtube) or can be done manually. the story is very strange, sounds like a dream dialogue, i like it! but given it is unusual, i would give a pause before the boy react, with a blink, so that our brain has time to digest at the same time as the boy. i feel the moment when the cop reveals his other self as the grandma is the key moment. i find the way the movement is very slow builds the tension and the drama. i don't know if there is something in the meantime, in the face or the attire, that can be replaced or be oddly placed or an expression maybe, so as to prepare us for the transformation. i can see that the hair is grey already, like a grandma's hair. the first scene with the car driving through the road in 3d is remarquable. thanks

At 9/30/18 09:22 PM, xDeadBoii wrote: Hey everyone!

I'm in the middle of making a toon that is based on a Tumblr post I saw a while back and thought it would be fun to animate. Obviously, it is not finished yet but it will be soon!

https://pics.me.me/yabkat-ohen39-gets-pulled-over-cop-do-you-know-how-36183119.png

I'm going to post a link to my progress so far (unlisted) and I hope you get some thoughts on it. Let me also put a few points that I feel I should share.

(1) Yes, This is my first attempt at a completed animation.
(2) The live-action pictures on top of 2D animation is an intentional style choice and are not placeholders for future backgrounds or props. I find cartoons such as the Brak Show, Angela Anaconda, Tom Goes To the Mayor, ETC. very charming and want to emulate that style.
(3) SFX have not been added yet and will be the last step.
(4) Should I switch the position of the police car and the main character car? I noticed the cop pulls up from the back and enters the scene from the front. So I might correct this.
(5) I might add a part at the end where the grandma turns into a monster and eats him just because I think it would be entertaining but I have yet to decide if I wanna pick that battle. This would obviously lead to a title change for the cartoon since there would be no 'Demon' if I chose to not animate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzmYOyu22M&feature=youtu.be

Any thoughts and additions you think would work here? What do you like? What do you Hate? Do you have any advice to pass along? Please give me ANYTHING. I came to Newgrounds to submit art, get shit on and come back better so please be honest. That's what Newgrounds means to me. Honest criticism.