00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Greatest games of the 80s

1,068 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Greatest games of the 80s 2018-09-07 14:41:47

People seem to put the 90s on a pedestal, but the 80s had their fair share of great games too. Some of my favorites are Lode Runner, Pengo, Qix, and Rogue (never actually played Zelda or Mario Bros, shoot me.) What are yours?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Mother came out in 1989 and that game was far ahead of it's time in my opinion. A great and challenging RPG. Unfortunately, it was only released in Japan. A great story for the time, as well as an awesome soundtrack, and the incredible lore it left behind. There's not many NES games I can pick up and play today and have an honest enjoyment of, but Mother is definitely one of them.

Greatest games of the 80s

BBS Signature

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-09-19 21:26:27

Tapper

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-09-21 20:59:18

At 9/19/18 09:26 PM, Robotao wrote: Tapper

galagga or dig dug for me

From redeyes to you!

BBS Signature

At 9/7/18 11:55 PM, Gameplay34 wrote: Mother came out in 1989 and that game was far ahead of it's time in my opinion. A great and challenging RPG. Unfortunately, it was only released in Japan.

Here in North America, it's officially known as Earthbound Beginnings. And it's only available for the Wii U.

Prior to that, there was a translated ROM version called Earthbound Zero.

Anyway...

Most of my first games were from the '80s.

And some the ones I remember are:

Alleycat
Bouncing Babies
Donkey Kong (with spring level)
PC-Man (obvious Pacman clone)
Tetris (1987 PC version)
Dragons
SimCity
SimAnt
Flightmare
Serpentine
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (US version)
Duck Hunt

That's about all I can think of right now.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-05 14:16:55

At 10/4/18 01:45 PM, Painbringer wrote: Tetris (1987 PC version)

Completely forgot about Tetris. At this point it's such a household name that its legacy overshadows the game itself, but it really is one of the greats. Such a simple and elegant concept.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-06 08:59:29

At 9/7/18 05:23 PM, JosephStarr wrote: Quite a few games on the Vectrex, which is a pretty cool overlooked console. (As long as you're wearing sunglasses.)
The way it used vector graphics can look outright hypnotizing.

I should try to get my hand one one some time. I'm not even sure if they where ever released in Europe.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-06 11:04:24

Legend of Zelda comes to mind. And this from someone who was born during the 90s.

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-06 20:31:01

At 9/7/18 11:55 PM, Gameplay34 wrote: Mother came out in 1989 and that game was far ahead of it's time in my opinion. A great and challenging RPG. Unfortunately, it was only released in Japan. A great story for the time, as well as an awesome soundtrack, and the incredible lore it left behind. There's not many NES games I can pick up and play today and have an honest enjoyment of, but Mother is definitely one of them.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture. Too bad it never got an official localization in the US...

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-08 08:19:29

Tetris.

I'm actually surprised that no one ever thought that the game was a communist propaganda with subliminal messages or some bullshit like that.

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

Response to Greatest games of the 80s 2018-10-22 14:34:08

At 9/7/18 02:41 PM, Kwing wrote: People seem to put the 90s on a pedestal, but the 80s had their fair share of great games too. Some of my favorites are Lode Runner, Pengo, Qix, and Rogue (never actually played Zelda or Mario Bros, shoot me.) What are yours?

game and watch. those games are so damn addictive