00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how do you co write with a partner

333 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

howdy all i have been wanting to work with a cowriter for a while now i figured it would help counteract my burn out habit and have had my eye on certain artists that i think would complement my style well but i dont know how to write with a partner. so i was wandering how that works.

does one write a script and the other add to edit and improve it then switch over so the other can repeat the process. or do you make a rough outline script that just shows the direction of the project and each writer just flush's out scene ideas that either they specifically want or ones that are asigned to them by a project manager. or is it some third thing i dont know about

Response to how do you co write with a partner 2018-04-02 15:37:52

All of the above. I've found that it works smoothly once each member comes to terms with their roles. Having the specifics hammered out and working with a team that completes what they start is awesome.

Response to how do you co write with a partner 2018-04-02 18:09:51

At 4/2/18 03:37 PM, QAN wrote: All of the above. I've found that it works smoothly once each member comes to terms with their roles. Having the specifics hammered out and working with a team that completes what they start is awesome.

thank you very much when ever i tried to hammer out the hows with writing partners in the past they kinda up and left some people really dont understand that sometimes a partner is going to ask for advice to work with them better. so thank you very much for the primo advice i greatly appreciate it.

Response to how do you co write with a partner 2018-05-20 19:44:19

a friend of mine has writen a whole book already with a partner. there stragety is that one first write a chapter and than the other writes the other and so it goes on and on. mabey that helps otherwise i wouldn't know i usually write my stories on my own anyway good luck ^^

At 4/1/18 10:48 PM, nanocon wrote: howdy all i have been wanting to work with a cowriter for a while now i figured it would help counteract my burn out habit and have had my eye on certain artists that i think would complement my style well but i dont know how to write with a partner. so i was wandering how that works.

does one write a script and the other add to edit and improve it then switch over so the other can repeat the process. or do you make a rough outline script that just shows the direction of the project and each writer just flush's out scene ideas that either they specifically want or ones that are asigned to them by a project manager. or is it some third thing i dont know about

Response to how do you co write with a partner 2018-06-10 20:17:30

"A whole book" you say? 40 200 words so far, 12 chapters. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Fanfic with our 2 Khajiit's who we will also cosplay as in the New York Comic-Con ;3

Anyway, the draft for the story, for you will need a rough draft that can be altered (parts removed, tweaked or added) by both of you. We created that draft with text messages on our phones. That eventually became the 3 first chapters, but only after we had converted the messages to a document file, which was then sent back and forth like I mentioned. Now we write 1 chapter each, and ask for input underway if new dialogue has to be made. Before the chapter is published (on https://archiveofourown.org/ ) the author sends it to the other, who reads it, tweaks it a final time, and sends it back. Then the other publishes it again.
What is so awesome about having the chapters online is that both of you can change each chapter as much and as often as you'd like. You can correct some grammar, add a paragraph, remove a sentence, rearrange dialogue, all this whenever you want. (and I do 1, some, or all of the aforementioned almost every single day ;P, and this is a story we first published online the 11th of February '18 )

Hope this helped! Good luck!
[JamesHatfeld]

At 5/20/18 07:44 PM, NyanaCreation wrote: a friend of mine has writen a whole book already with a partner. there stragety is that one first write a chapter and than the other writes the other and so it goes on and on. mabey that helps otherwise i wouldn't know i usually write my stories on my own anyway good luck ^^

At 4/1/18 10:48 PM, nanocon wrote: howdy all i have been wanting to work with a cowriter for a while now i figured it would help counteract my burn out habit and have had my eye on certain artists that i think would complement my style well but i dont know how to write with a partner. so i was wandering how that works.