00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted SkilledFella supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Losing your files n' shit

353 Views | 12 Replies

Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 16:03:48

Okay, have you ever had that time the damn Windows update starts pestering you, and you decided to shut it's face by updating, and after that, your files n' shit are gone? Yes, that includes your fap folder sitting right next to those reaction images you gathered throughout the years. Well, that shit happened to me, recently....

...And I am not happy. So I was like "alright, time to get one of those "data recovery" apps." I did grab one of those, scan the shit out of it, and there's one little problem: Pay up, bitch. Yeah, after a couple hours of scanning & patience, this fucking program wants me to cough up $100 just to get my shit back.

Right now, I'm using a different one, Recuva, but I doubt that this will act the same thing as the previous one (which was EaseUS Data Recovery). So if Recuva finish scanning my crap & greets me with a paywall JUST to get my shit back, what other piece of software that's free & DOESN'T show me a paywall?

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 16:10:49

Recuva should be free all the way, I've gotten plenty of files back with that.

Though never lost anything via one of those Windows Update reminders... is this on Windows 10? If so one more reason I'm sticking with 7 as long as I possibly can...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 16:38:20

I know this is kind of an asshole question but, did you by chance have any sort of backup of your files or an external hard drive?

I've been in a situtation where I lost lots of files to an apple update and even had a backup and still couldn't get them back.

Another time I thought I lost files but the computer had multiple harddrives and moved eveything to another one. Before I found that out I was breaking shit and yelling FUCK at the top of my lungs and was becoming increasingly violent.

External harddrives are really the way to go IMO, but they can be corrupted if you unplug them wrong so you kind of have to have backups of backups in order to be extremely safe.

Shit this is making me want to backup my animation files.

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 18:24:37

woah sounds like you actually accidentally updated your entire OS somehow

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 18:58:13

At 2/23/18 05:52 PM, Sekhem wrote: if you're trying to recover files from unallocated space, you're going to be out of luck with most of those shitty commercial programs

just get your favorite carver and find the headers so you can recover your dumb .jpgs or whatever

Yeh, carvers. We call them carpenters where I live.

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 20:20:35

I think windows ten stops and asks you not sure tho or it saves auto again not sure

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 20:31:30

At 2/23/18 04:10 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Recuva should be free all the way, I've gotten plenty of files back with that.

After wasting 4 fucking hours, it should be...

Though never lost anything via one of those Windows Update reminders... is this on Windows 10? If so one more reason I'm sticking with 7 as long as I possibly can...

Yes, this is a Windows 10 thing.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-23 20:39:32

At 2/23/18 04:38 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I know this is kind of an asshole question but, did you by chance have any sort of backup of your files or an external hard drive?

Sadly neither, because 1: I was never expecting this shit to happen. And 2: I couldn't afford another hard drive and if I did, I'm not going through the effort dismantling my LAPTOP, just to switch hard drives.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-24 01:56:01

At 2/23/18 04:03 PM, Mace121 wrote: Okay, have you ever had that time the damn Windows update starts pestering you, and you decided to shut it's face by updating, and after that, your files n' shit are gone?

Sorry to hear your loss. Although, I am using a modified Windows 7 and it is pretty decent. The other one in the other partition is Windows 10, again, I prefer the Windows 7 (modified) version.

I did use a recovery software once, after accidentally emptying my recycle bin. But the recovered files were damaged any file greater than 2-Megabyte was not working, a sad day indeed, I feel your pain.

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-24 05:07:11

At 2/23/18 08:31 PM, Mace121 wrote: After wasting 4 fucking hours, it should be...

Those things do take a shitton of time! Fingers metaphorically crossed.

Yes, this is a Windows 10 thing.

The more I hear about this OS...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-24 06:50:58

At 2/23/18 08:39 PM, Mace121 wrote:
At 2/23/18 04:38 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I know this is kind of an asshole question but, did you by chance have any sort of backup of your files or an external hard drive?
Sadly neither, because 1: I was never expecting this shit to happen. And 2: I couldn't afford another hard drive and if I did, I'm not going through the effort dismantling my LAPTOP, just to switch hard drives.

bro im talking external HD you plug them into your usb can get a 1TB or 2TB will store all of your stuff, just gotta be careful that you don't unplug them wrong or itll get screwed up.

Think of a giant flash drive that has a USB cable.

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-24 08:53:40

At 2/24/18 02:50 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Before reading post: "Lemme guess: WIndows 10?"

After reading post: "Windows 10 strikes again."

Yeah I did the windows 10 udpate on my work laptop a few weeks ago, and this same shit happened to me.

Computer wouldn't even start. Not in safe mode. Nothing

I have it set to make recovery checkpoints every month---aaaaaaand , nope it hadn't done that. Nothing

I took it off of the network and wifi and everything, brought it home and rebooted it, and was able to get to at least my starting screen.

It turned out the issue was like, every program on it was trying to run at start up. I had to go into that menu of start up programs and disable like 20 things.

Did a quick cleanup of temp files, quick registry clean up.
Virus scan with malwarebytes was clean.

Restarted, everything was fine.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Losing your files n' shit 2018-02-24 12:19:35

Ladies & Gentlemen (mostly gentlemen)... I found mah shit. The "Network" folder is the most unpredictable place anyone thought of finding their stuff.

Losing your files n' shit

-Mace 2.0