00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Secret Medal display is bad

523 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Secret Medal display is bad 2018-02-13 20:47:58

Secret medals have *always* told you the name of the medal. That is, until today where they just all say "Secret Medal".

I strongly suggest whoever changed this to change it back. The vast majority of games which have secret medals in them in fact intend that the players use the medal names as a hint (sometimes the only hint) as to how to possibly obtain it.

Changing this is game-breaking in the sense you're literally changing the intent of I would say 99% of games submitters for why they even put secret medals in their games to begin with.

I repeat. It is and was *extremely common* for games submitters to include secret medals with the intent the players use the medal names as their hint, with clever or coy names for the medals in some cases. The only thing meant to be secret is the description, not the name.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to New Secret Medal display is bad 2018-02-14 05:59:15

At 2/13/18 08:47 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Secret medals have *always* told you the name of the medal

Not true, though that goes back to before you signed up.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

At 2/13/18 08:47 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I repeat. It is and was *extremely common* for games submitters to include secret medals with the intent the players use the medal names as their hint, with clever or coy names for the medals in some cases. The only thing meant to be secret is the description, not the name.

Agreed.

It didn'talways use to be this way, as noted above, but these days it does seem like most game-makers name their medals with this in mind. Without titles there's really nothing to go by either, just hope those hidden medals will unlock as a bonus... do hope this is more of an unintentional change; it'll go back to how it used to soon.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to New Secret Medal display is bad 2018-03-02 04:01:05

At 2/13/18 08:47 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Secret medals have *always* told you the name of the medal. That is, until today where they just all say "Secret Medal".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with this change.

There used to be at least the name of the medal to give users a hint on how to obtain it, but now nothing. Like you said, it just says, "Secret Medal". It makes it way more difficult to figure out what to do to obtain any secret medal now.

Really hope this is just a temporary thing.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to New Secret Medal display is bad 2018-03-02 04:25:32

At 3/2/18 04:01 AM, Big-Boss wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with this change.

There used to be at least the name of the medal to give users a hint on how to obtain it, but now nothing. Like you said, it just says, "Secret Medal". It makes it way more difficult to figure out what to do to obtain any secret medal now.

Really hope this is just a temporary thing.

Not only that but the vast majority of games submitters have intentionally used that fact in designing games, intentionally giving the one and only hint in the medal name, and nowhere else ever. It will be a clever riddle or pun, and when you think you may know, you try it, and if you were right, medal get.

Making all secret medals just say "Secret Medal" completely ruins this and defeats the entire point and purpose that the vast majority of games submitters even bothered to include secret medals in the first place.

As a completely fictional example (but not at all unlike how secret medals were typically used in the vast majority of cases), perhaps the medal name could be "It's Getting Hot In Here", with no mention in-game of how to obtain this or anything. On the character selection screen, if the user happens to customize the character so they're completely nude (with pixellated nudity, of course), and plays that way, no armor or anything just nude, medal get.

So how would that be your hint? "It's Getting Hot In Here" so you might think of that song which was popular some years ago where the next line was "so take off all your clothes". If you were playing the game, saw that as the medal name, and perhaps "got" the reference you then try that out, and get a medal if you were right.

Again, completely entirely broken the way it is now.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to New Secret Medal display is bad 2018-03-08 07:03:48

I usually don't post much, but I want to add 2 cents.
Personally, I am against secret medals at all.
There are plenty of games that don't have secret medals, and it's very hard to figure out them
Recent example from my own experience:
Pongboal Blitz

I dare you to figure out on your own how to get "Sliced and Diced", and "Oscar" medals.
(I will not lie, I asked the author about them, because I had no clue how to get them)
As you can see, they are not secret, they have a description, you can see a picture as well, and yet, they are still hard to figure out. If an author wants to make a medal "secret achievement", they can do so without making it literally secret.

But it's only my 2 cents.

At 2/14/18 06:05 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/13/18 08:47 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I repeat. It is and was *extremely common* for games submitters to include secret medals with the intent the players use the medal names as their hint, with clever or coy names for the medals in some cases. The only thing meant to be secret is the description, not the name.
Agreed.

Disagree... strongly.

Secret medals are medals where the user has no idea what they pertain to. Sometimes devs put in things that not everyone will think to try and want to reward the people who try things out with no explicit reward mentioned. Or they don't specifically want to tell the player to do EVERYTHING that they've made and just let the player freely explore.

If I wanted to give a player a hint without saying exactly what to do I would make it a non-secret achievement with a cryptic name or description

this is how steam works too.

At 3/2/18 04:25 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Not only that but the vast majority of games submitters have intentionally used that fact in designing games, intentionally giving the one and only hint in the medal name, and nowhere else ever. It will be a clever riddle or pun, and when you think you may know, you try it, and if you were right, medal get.

As much as I think the new way is better (for devs and players), I have to agree here, perhaps games submitted before a certain date should use the old system