00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animate CC... wtf.

535 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I am working my ass off on my new cartoon. Then i updated Animate CC and now my workflow has been interrupted with problems and more problems.

I updated for the 'attach to camera' function. It's handy for my new cartoon, for a montage i have in it with a text overlay, that has to be in the same spot when the montage plays.

Well, for this particular cartoon it doesn't work.

- When I attach a layer to the camera, it does work when you press play in the user interface. Everything looks nice. But when i click on 'test video' it doesn't work. The attached layer isn't attached anymore.
The weird thing is, when i create a new file and do a quick test, then it does work when you click 'test video'.
So then i created another new file, and copied the layers from my cartoon in it and clicked 'test video'.... and it doesn't work! Why the fuck is it always so weird? And why isn't there an answer anywhere? This really frustrates my happy cartoon making process.

- Then we have this great new camera tool also totally fucking up the exporting when i want to convert it with Swivel, the exact same thing that happens to this guy, who, of course, has zero replies: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2428488
Then i tried to export to shitty .mov (.mov? Seriously? Is Adobe doing this on purpose?)
This 40 second .mov file is TWO GIGABYTES! I've got an expensive laptop not even 1 year old, and while it was also opening Media Encoder automatically the program just freezes. Wow.
In short - I don't want .mov. Not even initially for a few second to convert it. Why cant it be done efficiently like Swivel always did? My cartoon is probably going to be about 3 minutes, so that's a file of at least 8 GB. It's completely inefficient. What the hell is the fix for this?

- Then something that is less important, but another annoyance: When you have a background layer, and a character layer, it used to be that when you go into the character symbol to edit, you see sort of an 'onion skin' of the background layer.
Now when i go into a symbol i just see the stage color. No more vague background. I am sure this is a quick fix of some setting they deactivated or something so any help here is also appreciated.

Now why haven't I posted on the Adobe forums (yet) - i think this forum has very specific users who all animate so I guess the chance is bigger some people are here who have experienced these exact same annoyances.

Response to Animate CC... wtf. 2018-01-02 11:56:15 (edited 2018-01-02 12:01:47)

At 12/27/17 10:07 AM, insanetoons wrote: I am working my ass off on my new cartoon. Then i updated Animate CC and now my workflow has been interrupted with problems and more problems.

I updated for the 'attach to camera' function. It's handy for my new cartoon, for a montage i have in it with a text overlay, that has to be in the same spot when the montage plays.

Well, for this particular cartoon it doesn't work.

- When I attach a layer to the camera, it does work when you press play in the user interface. Everything looks nice. But when i click on 'test video' it doesn't work. The attached layer isn't attached anymore.
The weird thing is, when i create a new file and do a quick test, then it does work when you click 'test video'.
So then i created another new file, and copied the layers from my cartoon in it and clicked 'test video'.... and it doesn't work! Why the fuck is it always so weird? And why isn't there an answer anywhere? This really frustrates my happy cartoon making process.

- Then we have this great new camera tool also totally fucking up the exporting when i want to convert it with Swivel, the exact same thing that happens to this guy, who, of course, has zero replies: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2428488
Then i tried to export to shitty .mov (.mov? Seriously? Is Adobe doing this on purpose?)
This 40 second .mov file is TWO GIGABYTES! I've got an expensive laptop not even 1 year old, and while it was also opening Media Encoder automatically the program just freezes. Wow.
In short - I don't want .mov. Not even initially for a few second to convert it. Why cant it be done efficiently like Swivel always did? My cartoon is probably going to be about 3 minutes, so that's a file of at least 8 GB. It's completely inefficient. What the hell is the fix for this?

- Then something that is less important, but another annoyance: When you have a background layer, and a character layer, it used to be that when you go into the character symbol to edit, you see sort of an 'onion skin' of the background layer.
Now when i go into a symbol i just see the stage color. No more vague background. I am sure this is a quick fix of some setting they deactivated or something so any help here is also appreciated.

Now why haven't I posted on the Adobe forums (yet) - i think this forum has very specific users who all animate so I guess the chance is bigger some people are here who have experienced these exact same annoyances.

First of all, calm down :D

I don't know if my version of Animate CC have this "attached tool" (I have the 2017 one) but from what I've experienced with the camera tool on Animate, it's less good than a Vcam, you can't move it with the keyboard arrows and same for the zoom, and the rotation has a weird magnet feel
I would recommend you to wait until this camera tool is fully upgraded cause right now it's litteraly unplayable, get a Vcam and convert your file with Adobe Media Encoder:

Speaking of converting, because you also have a problem on that, your file is too big, Animate CC is the last version of flash but it doesn't mean that it can support a file that big, which causes problem in the converting, so on that, I would recommend to split your project into multiple files

Then you have 2 choices:
Convert it and compile the files in Swivel for making it a single video

If that doesn't work and Swivel don't want to convert (happens) convert your files in adobe media encoder and compile them in Sony Vegas Pro, that's what I do and it works pretty nice, I get my HD uploads

I know it doesn't help you very much but I'm trying to provide an answer because I know how frustating it is, I've been there too,

Find an Animate CC vcam on internet
And split your big projects

About your symbol onion skin, you have to double click your symbol directly on the stage to have what is on the stage in onion skin mode ( don't select it from the library)

Response to Animate CC... wtf. 2018-01-12 10:24:19 (edited 2018-01-12 10:26:27)

Hey thanks for the suggestions, after i made this thread i decided to use my good old vcam, so for now that's solved.
Also, the onion skins, i don't know why it did that, but once i started working it solved itself somehow... Maybe because it was a fresh install/update and it hadn't opened the other layers yet of my project.

btw I am using the newest animate (2018), apparently the camera has been changed so it's not compatible anymore with Swivel. Now that i have returned to the vcam I can use Swivel again as well, so all is good.

A late response from me but once i had the above figured out i have been animating all day every day, so much to do so little time!