00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to keep my brain from melting

400 Views | 5 Replies

How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-07 10:08:48

I've been out of school for a year and a half, and I already feel everything I've learned has dribbled out of my ears. My grammar has definitely slipped into retarded territory, and everything important from my personal finance classes has fled my memory. My diction is shrinking, and my sentence building skills are pitiful.

Most people's solution to this is to go to college, but that's expensive and stupid. Besides, I want to go to an online school for music (my top choice right now is Berklee Online, but it's also the only one I've researched). Again, it's too expensive right now, so my question is this: Are there any good apps or websites that either challenge my brain or do something to keep it from rotting while I'm in between educations? I used to be a really bright kid, but a year and a half of nothing but working at McDonald's has turned me into a typical millennial bum. pls help

BBS Signature

Response to How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-07 10:27:54

At 12/7/17 10:08 AM, larrynachos wrote: Are there any good apps or websites that either challenge my brain or do something to keep it from rotting

No.

Your brain was at it's maximum capacity right before puberty.

Every day after that is just a descent into senescence.

Welcome to the void.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-08 07:20:35

Yeah, just keep your mind open to new things. Do you like to read? Definitely do that. And hey, if you can, try to learn at least one new thing every day. Not only will that expand your mind, but it can help combat mental issues, such as Alzheimer's, later in life.

You can also check out the brain-busters on Luminosity if you want to test your cognition and stay sharp. Don't let being out of school and working at McD's turn your brain to mush, man. But hey, you've already taken the first step simply by acknowledging the problem.

Oh, and totally jump on a stint at university whenever possible. Higher education is important, not to mention earning a degree or two (or three or four, etc., if you're really into school).

Response to How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-08 10:10:19

Just read dude. Go back through the classics, preferably the ones you used to think were boring. Also, the work of Kafka and Alexander Camus are really good at making your mind spin. Anything with a shred of philosophical undertone should keep you up at night flipping your perspective about why that guy taking your order at McDonald's can continue smiling all day while spitting the same "Can I upsize that for you?" script day in and day out so that he can get home and rewatch old episodes of the Big Bang Theory. Just read dude. Always wonder why authors make characters a certain way and how their perspective on life led to their fictional brain child rejecting or embracing the cold indifference of the universe. If you don't particularly enjoy reading I would start with short stories, but the really popular old ones. Fyodor Dostevsky's "Notes From the Underground" is a personal favorite of mine. The Dunwich Horror is a good piece of chaos as well, and if you haven't already; I highly recommend "Choke" by Chuck Palahnuik. Just read. I'm sure there are some people who don't suck the life out of everything that are also published, but I thought the second half of Freakonomics was a little racist personally. Reading exercises all of those things you seem to be concerned about, but it also sort of bums one out. "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" Robert Pirsig, not a quote just another suggestion. "The Stranger" Albert Camus.... I'm done

Response to How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-08 10:18:22

I meant Alexander Dumas the first time and Camus the second... I'm a pretentious f@ck either way.

Response to How to keep my brain from melting 2017-12-08 10:34:32

At 12/7/17 10:08 AM, larrynachos wrote: I've been out of school for a year and a half, and I already feel everything I've learned has dribbled out of my ears. My grammar has definitely slipped into retarded territory, and everything important from my personal finance classes has fled my memory. My diction is shrinking, and my sentence building skills are pitiful.

The way that you formed your sentences there certainly doesn't seem like your brain is melting.

Anyway, college is a scam. I graduated college and it did nothing but land me $40,000 in debt with a shitty $12/hr receptionist job, while everyone else in my company that works at way higher up positions never went to college and just gained real life experience in their field. Job employers don't care about school.

Go to trade school and learn a real life skill that will actually matter in finding a job, like plumbing or construction. That also won't land you into crazy debt. And trust me, being a millennial bum is fucking awesome. I did that from age 18-22 and it was the most fun I ever had. Chilling with girls, playing music and knowing I could be a stupid kid with no financial obligations is something I miss dearly since entering adult life and dealing with miserable home owners that only care about their stupid fuckin family and kids. Having money does not make up for it at all. Embrace your current life.