00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GigzMcGeezie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dissociation is a superpower.

1,033 Views | 28 Replies

Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 11:59:42

Imagine you had the ability to feel no pain. No fear.

Imagine if, whenever you wanted, you could send a piece of yourself to a place far away to wait out whatever it is your body must endure.

It doesn't make you invincible; you're still corporeal.

But all the psychological boundaries disappear. You can do anything at all, sending your body off like a remote controlled drone while your mind stays safely protected in some other world inside yourself, waiting for it to return.

If you got in a fight, you would not feel yourself being punched. If you had to run into a burning building, you would not feel yourself burning. You could do surgery on yourself if you had to. You could take a bullet if you had to.

Without fear. Without pain. Without worry.
Relentlessly. With your full strength. Unstoppable.

Imagine all the crazy shit people can do on drugs, only without the drugs. At any time, you can just flip a switch in your mind, and you become a machine instead of a person.

It's a fucking superpower, right? Like some Zen Monk lifting a burning urn with his forearms Enter the Dragon Bruce Lee type shit. Some barefoot walking on broken glass Die Hard Bruce Willis type action. Full blown Fakir with a cheek full of kebab skewers trance shit.

This is what dissociation is. This is how dissociation works. But instead of looking at it like some sort of emergency power mode that taps into your true power when you need it most, some dickwad just tells you it's "not normal" and "a disease".

In fact, if anyone finds out you have this ability, they do everything in their power to take it away from you, like a bad episode of X-men. In fact, there are whole hospitals dedicated to taking this ability away from those who have it. People get locked away for months, even years, because having this ability is seen as being too dangerous to be allowed to be free.

Truth is stranger than fiction. Dissociation is real, and with it, you can do anything.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 12:26:06

I won't lie. I am SUPER jealous of people who don't feel anything.
I hate having emotions.
And I'm a chick so it's 100 times worse.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 12:58:46

At 11/17/17 12:24 PM, tyler2513 wrote: You would still feel a punch to the face, or burning embers on your skin.

Define "feel".

Would you feel it at the time you were dissociated? No.

And since a punch to the face mainly hurts while it's happening, that would mean you would avoid most of the pain of being hit. Not any of the damage, but the pain.

Burns are a little different since they hurt worse after the fact than during, but the same principle.

Also there are lots of reasons to want to get rid of disassociation, like it may distract you from your studies.

Wouldn't it actually help you to focus, since you could dissociate away the distractions?

At 11/17/17 12:26 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I won't lie. I am SUPER jealous of people who don't feel anything.
I hate having emotions.

Apparently people only develop this ability if they were abused in the years of early childhood before language ability is well developed, so it's not really something you can learn to do after the fact. If the abuse happens after the mind develops more complex coping skills, you end with panic attacks instead. :(.

It's got a lot in common with hypnotism.

At 11/17/17 12:31 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Why do people call your posts "shitposting?"

Out of respect. My posts fertilize the forums and increase the quality and size of the memes we produce.

Sure you have some wack (well damn. That's the first time I've ever used the term "wack.") ones like the Sauce Rap

A REAL THING. I DID NOT MAKE IT WACK OR OTHERWISE.

Anything "Yankee" (Since I'm not from the US, I'm unable to identify with your 'Yankee' concerns),

Study them more; you'll learn to hate them as much as I do. Just read @righttime 's posts.

but a lot of the "shit" you post is true.

I'm not actually creative enough to make this shit up. Of course it's true.

Dissociation isn't a "super power" per se (eh I can forgive Hyperbole) but it's certainly a valuable asset if one has the ability to selectively dissociate. Isn't that the state most people in pain hope to achieve? Sadly some people have to rely on substances to be able to reach this state.

There's been quite a bit of research that says the opioid epidemic stems from the dissociative effects of opiates which help people deal with emotional pain.

I pretty much live in dissociation land, so when I was prescribed pain killers for a dental surgery, they were literally the most useless shit ever. Painkiller don't kill pain, they just make you too high to care it hurts.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 14:09:40

At 11/17/17 12:58 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/17/17 12:26 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I won't lie. I am SUPER jealous of people who don't feel anything.
I hate having emotions.
Apparently people only develop this ability if they were abused in the years of early childhood before language ability is well developed, so it's not really something you can learn to do after the fact. If the abuse happens after the mind develops more complex coping skills, you end with panic attacks instead. :(.

Well then I feel I got screwed over, because I was abused physically, and sexually,in early childhood.

I was then abused physically, and sexually AGAIN, in mid childhood,

And all I got was the panic attacks.

Lame.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 17:04:40

At 11/17/17 02:09 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Well then I feel I got screwed over, because I was abused physically, and sexually,in early childhood.

Lame.

Lemme try to hypnotize you with a gold watch anyways.

Sure it's quackery, but "mesmerism" is just fun to say.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 17:18:09

At 11/17/17 05:04 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/17/17 02:09 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Lame.
Lemme try to hypnotize you with a gold watch anyways.

Sure it's quackery, but "mesmerism" is just fun to say.

Does "hypnotize" mean the same thing as "netflix and chill"
Because I AM watching netflix.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 19:07:52

At 11/17/17 05:18 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Punisher?

Because I'm all about some netflix, but the temperature in the room is going to be the exact opposite of "chill"

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 19:21:49

At 11/17/17 07:07 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/17/17 05:18 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Punisher?

Because I'm all about some netflix, but the temperature in the room is going to be the exact opposite of "chill"

I'm tryin to get episode 3 to load but effin Netflix is givin me shit....

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-17 20:09:29

At 11/17/17 12:47 PM, Sekhem wrote:
generally people who display high levels of disassociation were traumatized or otherwise abused in very significant ways and need treatment for far more than physical detachment

Please, tell me more about this ambiguous "treatment." It seems like a magic word. If treatment worked, why are so many people on disability for PTSD?

If there's a cure, it wouldn't be disabling.

You know, if treatment worked, I mean.

So then you say "treatment" but what does that mean? Sedation? Not for their own benefit, but for the protection of society, right? Because people who can dissociate could resist deadly force. They can't be coerced. They have no fear, no emotional handles at all by which they can be manipulated or controlled.

they're not exactly professor xavier or even a lesser mutant like morph

More like Morlocks, with a mutation that renders them socially unacceptable with some mild abilities.

At 11/17/17 07:21 PM, SevenSeize wrote:
I'm tryin to get episode 3 to load but effin Netflix is givin me shit....

Click on it harder.

HARDER.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 07:17:36

I'm pretty much like this, except I also have hyper-awareness and near-flawless reflexes. Apparently I'm pretty good at sneaking up on people as well. Hire me as a ninja?

Fear is weakness. Eliminate weakness. Pain I feel, sure, but push through it.

@MPPlantOfficial I realize you're not from the US and all, and when you say "Yankee" you might think it just means "American", but here in the US, it doesn't. There are Southerners, there are Yankees, and there are those folks out West whatever they're called (I'm not even sure if they have a name but they're not Southerners or Yankees) but don't ever call a Southerner a Yankee. Yankee is like just the North-eastern US states pretty much.

I do have to say to @FUNKbrs whenever you talk about "the South" I find it quite odd because frequently those aren't Southern things at all. Maybe it's how things are in Memphis, possibly even elsewhere in Tennessee, but I can promise you that's not how it is in the vast majority of the South. Honestly most the time when you say something is how things are in "the South" I'm thinking "wtf no it isn't". Maybe you'd do better to call them Memphis things rather than Southern things.

Southern things would be Dukes of Hazzard, mudding, huge pickup trucks (optional lifted suspension, optional "truck nuts"), deer hunting, grits, joining the military, weightlifting at a gym, confederate flags, Lynyrd Skynyrd, wrestling, country music, fishing, hiking, deer antlers for decoration, NASCAR, and so on.

Most of the things you call "Southern things" are just hood things. You'd find the exact or similar things in ghettos in New York or New Jersey probably.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 08:25:19

Can you really do this? It sounds awesome, I know I have dissociated sometimes but can't quite enter that state of mind whenever I want yet. It's still something that happens to me if it's necessary in a challenging situation. A switch that my brain triggers, but not one I can control.

When it happens, can you feel pain at all? So, if you needed surgery could you just dissociate and not need any anesthesia at all?

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 09:10:05

At 11/18/17 07:17 AM, NeonSpider wrote: I'm pretty much like this, except I also have hyper-awareness and near-flawless reflexes. Apparently I'm pretty good at sneaking up on people as well. Hire me as a ninja?

Fear is weakness. Eliminate weakness. Pain I feel, sure, but push through it.
@MPPlantOfficial I realize you're not from the US and all, and when you say "Yankee" you might think it just means "American", but here in the US, it doesn't. There are Southerners, there are Yankees, and there are those folks out West whatever they're called (I'm not even sure if they have a name but they're not Southerners or Yankees)

We totally need a name for these people. I want to just call them "hippies" but most of them are actually pretty conservative. There is definitely a cultural shift once you get a certain amount west of the MS river.

but don't ever call a Southerner a Yankee. Yankee is like just the North-eastern US states pretty much.

I have to admit, I'd be offended. I'd be more offended if you attempted to pass off salt and vinegar chips off as food, which they are not.

I do have to say to @FUNKbrs whenever you talk about "the South" I find it quite odd because frequently those aren't Southern things at all. Maybe it's how things are in Memphis, possibly even elsewhere in Tennessee, but I can promise you that's not how it is in the vast majority of the South. Honestly most the time when you say something is how things are in "the South" I'm thinking "wtf no it isn't". Maybe you'd do better to call them Memphis things rather than Southern things.

Southern is a generic term that includes the Delta subsect, and yes, there is a large amount of difference between High Southern and Delta Southern subtypes. Most things which are considered "black" culturally (fried chicken, grape soda, watermelon, Dixieland Jazz music, impetuousness, stubbornness, low value for human life) are Delta Southern traits. Cotton plantation culture is Delta culture, so all descendents of slaves inherit Delta Southern culture by default.

As opposed to High Southerners. High southerners are highly segregated, and historically neither owned slaves nor associated with black people. High southern culture is inherently rural and isolated. The term "hillbilly" refers specifically to high southerners. High Southerners are the sort of people who's ancestors fought the Civil War not for the right to own slaves, but for the security of keeping the slaves of their neighbors under lock and key so they couldn't seek out justified revenge on the white race as a whole. High southerners are often the descendants of miscegenated native people who knowingly abandoned their tribal identities in favor of white citizenship. High southerners of mixed native ancestry are extremely proud of this fact, as this process of gaining white citizenship involved extensive mercenary involvement in the French and Indian and the Indian Wars before them. High Southern identity can be traced back to the first mercenary alliances between natives and whites against other native tribes such as the chickasaw, where many native nobles decided to intentionally merge into white society and religion for financial gain, including the right at their discretion to hold chattel slaves. The idea of inherited ancient nobility (read: Stars and Bars wavers) is a major part of High Southern identity.

Southern things would be Dukes of Hazzard, mudding, huge pickup trucks (optional lifted suspension, optional "truck nuts"), deer hunting, grits, joining the military, weightlifting at a gym, confederate flags, Lynyrd Skynyrd, wrestling, country music, fishing, hiking, deer antlers for decoration, NASCAR, and so on.

Right, those are southern things, but High Southern things. Delta is also a type of Southern.

It's also the BETTER kind of southern. Memphis is Delta, and Nashville is High Southern, and fuck Nashville.

Most of the things you call "Southern things" are just hood things. You'd find the exact or similar things in ghettos in New York or New Jersey probably.

Actually the Yankee version of "hood" is very different, because Yankees don't feel a paternalistic duty to the previously enslaved as only Delta Southerners do. High Southerners generally didn't own slaves, as they lived in hilly and mountainous areas unsuitable for plantations. Yankees never needed to import african labor. The "hood" in Yankee cities is an area settled by black immigrants from the South during the Great Migration, no different from any other immigrant community. In the South, any developed area is by default "hood." For example, there is no "good part of town" within the Memphis city limits.

Remember, Nathan Bedford Forrest was always very proud of is ability to lead black people. He made a fortune bringing black people to America. Forrest certainly did not see blacks as equal, but he obviously saw enough value in them to have them imported as labor. Slave owners generally liked their slaves in the same way people like their pets or farm animals, and were honestly deeply hurt by Northern claims of the cruelty of the institution of slavery. Generally the worst abuses of slavery were taken on by taskmasters who specialized in it, meaning the average person did not participate in nor was aware of the true hardships of slavery.

As opposed to Yankees, who can pretty glibly claim to have no use for africans as a whole.

Gosh that was a long post.

Think of the difference between delta southerners and high southerners as being like the difference between Creoles and Cajuns.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 09:15:29

I hate feeling anger cause it pisses me off. Wish I could dissociate that forever

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 09:26:59

At 11/18/17 08:25 AM, OneMoreNumber wrote: Can you really do this?

Sure. Lots of people can. It's one of the goals of zen meditation.

It's also considered a symptom of relatively severe mental illness.

But hey, lots of people think religion is a mental illness, so there you go.

It sounds awesome, I know I have dissociated sometimes but can't quite enter that state of mind whenever I want yet. It's still something that happens to me if it's necessary in a challenging situation. A switch that my brain triggers, but not one I can control.

When it happens, can you feel pain at all? So, if you needed surgery could you just dissociate and not need any anesthesia at all?

Okay, let me give you an example.

I was at a show, and six guys started jumping my buddy Steve (years ago).

I'd rather have my ass beat by three dudes than watch 6 guys jump a friend, so I jump in. I actually start doing pretty well pushing people off steve, until one of them cracks me in the head with a bottle.

I never felt it. I'm gushing blood, I walk to a buddy's house, get a shower, walk back, GET MY FUCKING HAT, whatever.

And I'm split open BAD.

I dissociate for a couple DAYS. Not one painkiller. We ended up cauterizing the wound shut with silver nitrate some dude had lifted off an ambulance. I still have a big ass scar.

The natural endorphins in your body are stronger and cleaner than any street drug you can buy.

I currently use dissociative techniques to ride my bicycle long distances for bike camping. So I'll get on my bicycle, dissociate, ride six hours with a little break every hour, then zone back in and set up camp. Next day, wake up, do it again on the way home.

I've been riding 110 miles in 2 days this way.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 09:56:40

It's also considered a symptom of relatively severe mental illness.

No wonder, almost everything that doens't fit into society's standards is considered a mental illness nowadays. Even opinions or abilities, whatever, apparently it's fine to medicate people for being different... I hate psychiatry far more than I've ever hated my worst enemies. It's a cancer that's spreading through the world, and destroying many people.

I dissociate for a couple DAYS. Not one painkiller. We ended up cauterizing the wound shut with silver nitrate some dude had lifted off an ambulance. I still have a big ass scar.
I currently use dissociative techniques to ride my bicycle long distances for bike camping. So I'll get on my bicycle, dissociate, ride six hours with a little break every hour, then zone back in and set up camp. Next day, wake up, do it again on the way home.
I've been riding 110 miles in 2 days this way.

Wow dude, congrats, that sounds amazing. Have you ever done zen meditation? For me, dissociating is just something that happens in a high pressure or dangerous situation, like when you got in that fight defending your friend, but I wish I could control when I enter or exit that state. Is it something you just think and it happens? Like "I'm going to dissociate now", and that's it? I wonder if there's some technique in it... is it something you learned to do at some point, or just an "innate superpower" of yours?

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 11:17:33

At 11/18/17 09:56 AM, OneMoreNumber wrote:
No wonder, almost everything that doens't fit into society's standards is considered a mental illness nowadays. Even opinions or abilities, whatever, apparently it's fine to medicate people for being different... I hate psychiatry far more than I've ever hated my worst enemies. It's a cancer that's spreading through the world, and destroying many people.

The medicalization of deviation is a really shitty movement. At this point the goal seems to be reinstitutionalization; the homeless have been malingering the medical system for so long homelessness is becoming a disease that requires inpatient hospitalization. Criminals have been using mental illness as a scapegoat for so long now being different is considered a crime.

Wow dude, congrats, that sounds amazing. Have you ever done zen meditation? For me, dissociating is just something that happens in a high pressure or dangerous situation, like when you got in that fight defending your friend, but I wish I could control when I enter or exit that state. Is it something you just think and it happens? Like "I'm going to dissociate now", and that's it? I wonder if there's some technique in it... is it something you learned to do at some point, or just an "innate superpower" of yours?

Yeah, it's been kind of weird for me to discover this as well. I assumed everyone could do this; as a child I was taught to dissociate during prayer to hear the voice of God and crazy christian stuff like that, so I thought this is what everyone did.

I've always been in lots of painful and stressful situations, and I've always coped relatively well in that environment. The idea that people would be weirded out by it is something I'm just finding out about.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 13:15:06

At 11/18/17 09:10 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: High Southerners are the sort of people who's ancestors fought the Civil War not for the right to own slaves, but for the security of keeping the slaves of their neighbors under lock and key so they couldn't seek out justified revenge on the white race as a whole.

While I found the majority of your post quite informative, I'm going to have to disagree with this. Most Southerners did not own slaves nor care to own slaves (so far so good). But they didn't fight the Civil War for the slaves of their neighbors either -- they fought because the North was literally invading the South. They were literally fighting for their own homes and lives, mostly. Most Southerners were little better off than slaves themselves. I'm sure they wouldn't have cared if the North kept the beef just with the slave-holders and left the other Southern folks out of it.

If I'm some poor cotton-picker (which a lot of Southerners were in those days), would I care to fight to defend some plantation owner just because that plantation owner has slaves? Hell no! At the very least that slave labor is competing with my labor so that wouldn't be in my best interests. Plus the North wasn't actually going to free their slaves until some time after the Civil War was already going, so clearly they can't honestly claim slavery was the reason for the Civil War, though they dishonestly claim it all the time. It's a position the North conveniently switched to because it was politically convenient and allowed them to claim moral high ground they didn't actually have.

High Southern identity can be traced back to the first mercenary alliances between natives and whites against other native tribes such as the chickasaw, where many native nobles decided to intentionally merge into white society and religion for financial gain, including the right at their discretion to hold chattel slaves.

Are you sure it wasn't simply because they didn't have any other choice? "Join us or die" is a pretty powerful motivator after all -- still is today (incidentally, is one of the reasons people join gangs).

Sure, I don't doubt there existed greedy people who sold out their tribes. There obviously were. But I seriously doubt the average native did this for financial gain so much as they probably didn't have any other choice. Well, they could die, but that's not much of a choice.

Right, those are southern things, but High Southern things. Delta is also a type of Southern.

Where all would you say this Delta Southern culture exists then, as you call it? Because everywhere I've been would be what you've called the High Southern culture. And, no, it's not the difference between blacks and whites, because there's about as many blacks as whites or in some cases even more blacks than whites and yet in all these places it's the High Southern culture and not the Delta Southern culture.

The South is incredibly racially diverse compared to almost anywhere else in the country. You can find people of almost any race down here, and it's not unusual in the slightest. Then up North most areas it's like whites only. So quite ironic Yankees fancy themselves as more racially "correct" than the South when no one but white folks even live many places up North.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in the South that is populated by whites only, yet up North that's not uncommon at all.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 14:11:30

I guess the only problem would be that we've got pain receptors because they're indicators as to whether we're in danger or whatever. I'm assuming that you're still as mortal and fragile as any other person on the planet.

So taking your fire situation, what if you're too far in a burning building to get out and you start to feel weak, you're kinda screwed there.

Does dissociation also apply when getting electrocuted? If not then you're also gonna die from that, most likely.

Seems like the advantages far outweigh the negatives, but there's still a pretty significant disadvantage. It might also depend on whether you've suddenly been given the power of dissociation or if you're born with it, if you're born with it then you'll never truly know what pain feels like. If you're suddenly given it I can imagine some people actually feeling inhuman in a sense.

It's food for thought, I suppose.

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 17:58:59

I hate having emotions.

Harden yourself more babe. Hard women are hardcore.

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 21:20:38

At 11/18/17 01:15 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
. But they didn't fight the Civil War for the slaves of their neighbors either -- they fought because the North was literally invading the South. They were literally fighting for their own homes and lives, mostly. Most Southerners were little better off than slaves themselves. I'm sure they wouldn't have cared if the North kept the beef just with the slave-holders and left the other Southern folks out of it.

Yea... no. High southerners are racist as shit, and their prime motivation was to keep the slaves on the plantations so they wouldn't move in next door. It's been 130 years since the south lost the war, and High Southerners have been with the shit that entire time. They're fucking racist. No cop out. High southerners are elitist racist assholes, full stop.

Are you sure it wasn't simply because they didn't have any other choice? "Join us or die" is a pretty powerful motivator after all -- still is today (incidentally, is one of the reasons people join gangs).

In Franklin TN non-slave holding whites rebelled against the confederacy. They had a choice. They chose to be racist shit bags.

Sure, I don't doubt there existed greedy people who sold out their tribes. There obviously were. But I seriously doubt the average native did this for financial gain so much as they probably didn't have any other choice. Well, they could die, but that's not much of a choice.

They could have marched on the Trail of Tears. They could have fled to Mexico, as most of the ruling class in fact did. If you study the spanish language accounts the natives first european contracts with with the spanish, so in any european conflict on the American continent, they would choose the spanish side first, then the french, with English speakers being dead last. In fact, a strong argument could be made that the Europeans were notorious for changing language and nationality in order to invalidate previous agreements made by earlier settlers.

Where all would you say this Delta Southern culture exists then, as you call it? Because everywhere I've been would be what you've called the High Southern culture. And, no, it's not the difference between blacks and whites, because there's about as many blacks as whites or in some cases even more blacks than whites and yet in all these places it's the High Southern culture and not the Delta Southern culture.

Dude, it's "Delta" culture. You find it on the Delta. It follows the MS river north. Houston, Nola, Memphis, St. Louis, and to a lesser part Chicago are places where you can find Delta southerners.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in the South that is populated by whites only, yet up North that's not uncommon at all.

To be fair, the black american traditional homeland is the south, so of course there are fewer indigenous american blacks in northern areas.

Holy fuck you have derailed the dogshit out of this.

At 11/18/17 01:58 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: Sounds more like psychopathy...

I'll trust your expertise. If anyone would know how a psychopath thinks, it's you.

At 11/18/17 02:11 PM, FloorAesthetics wrote: I'm assuming that you're still as mortal and fragile as any other person on the planet.

You are correct sir.

So taking your fire situation, what if you're too far in a burning building to get out and you start to feel weak, you're kinda screwed there.

Exactly.

Does dissociation also apply when getting electrocuted? If not then you're also gonna die from that, most likely.

Electrocution attacks muscles directly, so you can't power through it. That's why police use tazers on the mentally ill.

Seems like the advantages far outweigh the negatives, but there's still a pretty significant disadvantage. It might also depend on whether you've suddenly been given the power of dissociation or if you're born with it, if you're born with it then you'll never truly know what pain feels like. If you're suddenly given it I can imagine some people actually feeling inhuman in a sense.

Supposedly it's only an acquired ability, and yes, depersonalization and derealization are often experiences associated with dissociation.

It's food for thought, I suppose.

The nature of consciousness is interesting shit. The idea that the brain is a multicore processor that has diffferent unrelated processing layers is pretty wild to wrap your head around.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-18 23:14:26

At 11/18/17 09:20 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: The nature of consciousness is interesting shit. The idea that the brain is a multicore processor that has diffferent unrelated processing layers is pretty wild to wrap your head around.

Pretty much. We've already done a bunch of research on the brain like the location of our consciousness and the senses but I guarantee there's still so much shit that we haven't discovered. I don't know how true that "We only use 4% of our brain" thing is, but with the speed our technology is evolving and whatnot, it's not gonna be too long before we discover something truly mindblowing.

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 08:41:08

In the South, any developed area is by default "hood." For example, there is no "good part of town" within the Memphis city limits.

Remember, Nathan Bedford Forrest was always very proud of is ability to lead black people. He made a fortune bringing black people to America. Forrest certainly did not see blacks as equal, but he obviously saw enough value in them to have them imported as labor. Slave owners generally liked their slaves in the same way people like their pets or farm animals, and were honestly deeply hurt by Northern claims of the cruelty of the institution of slavery. Generally the worst abuses of slavery were taken on by taskmasters who specialized in it, meaning the average person did not participate in nor was aware of the true hardships of slavery.

Hmmm. Well let's start by saying most of Memphis is pretty bad but you can't say if you live in midtown or Raleigh or oakhaven that you're from the hood. Mostly orange mound, whitehaven, Westwood, and Binghamton is where you're gonna find your highest crime rate with Frasier coming in as a kinda good "hood".

Since you're from there i suppose you've been downtown to see Nathan Bedford Forrest park. He's not there for his views on racism or treatment of blacks, and let's not forget he started the kik. He's there because of the siege of Memphis and because he killed 31 men in hand to hand combat over his service.

At 11/19/17 08:41 AM, bumblefish wrote:
Hmmm. Well let's start by saying most of Memphis is pretty bad but you can't say if you live in midtown or Raleigh or oakhaven that you're from the hood. Mostly orange mound, whitehaven, Westwood, and Binghamton is where you're gonna find your highest crime rate with Frasier coming in as a kinda good "hood".

Dude, have you been to Raleigh in the past 20 years since annexation? Quentin Rampage Jackson went to highschool at Raleigh Egypt (so did I). Even Bartlett is kind of shit right now, and they're not even incorporated. Memphis is more of an area targeted for double taxation and a direct attempt at depopulation than anything else. Since 1968 the main plan for the city has been "Disperse, decentralize, deorganize" because frankly Memphis is hot wired for political activism and everybody knows it.

Since you're from there i suppose you've been downtown to see Nathan Bedford Forrest park. He's not there for his views on racism or treatment of blacks, and let's not forget he started the kik. He's there because of the siege of Memphis and because he killed 31 men in hand to hand combat over his service.

Actually, he's there because he founded the clan out of an offshoot off scottish rite masonry.

Full stop.

The park is next to the scottish rite mason hall. NBF was a notorious mason.

THE END.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 16:16:34

At 11/19/17 10:19 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
Dude, have you been to Raleigh in the past 20 years since annexation? Quentin Rampage Jackson went to highschool at Raleigh Egypt (so did I). Even Bartlett is kind of shit right now, and they're not even incorporated. Memphis is more of an area targeted for double taxation and a direct attempt at depopulation than anything else. Since 1968 the main plan for the city has been "Disperse, decentralize, deorganize" because frankly Memphis is hot wired for political activism and everybody knows it.

Actually, he's there because he founded the clan out of an offshoot off scottish rite masonry.

Full stop.

THE END.

You can't be serious. Raleigh is not hood. Of course I've been there. And if you've been to the park you would see what it says on the statue. Everybody from Memphis wants to claim they're from the hood. It's turned into a meme. Even yo gotti says it in his song "errbody". Take a walk down broad street in Binghamton or Winchester in Whitehaven.

Dissociation is a superpower.

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 16:26:01

At 11/19/17 10:19 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:

THE END.

Notorious? Why notorious? As though being a mason was intrinsically a bad thing...

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 16:54:37

At 11/19/17 04:16 PM, bumblefish wrote:
You can't be serious. Raleigh is not hood. Of course I've been there. And if you've been to the park you would see what it says on the statue. Everybody from Memphis wants to claim they're from the hood. It's turned into a meme. Even yo gotti says it in his song "errbody". Take a walk down broad street in Binghamton or Winchester in Whitehaven.

I also lived in Nutbush/berclair/binghampton for 3 years. Dude, Raleigh is WORSE than Nutbush. I actually quite liked living in Nutbush. I live in Castalia/South Memphis now.

At 11/19/17 04:26 PM, Lilaa wrote:

Notorious? Why notorious? As though being a mason was intrinsically a bad thing...

The Mason's founded the Klan. That's like saying "As though being Al-Qaeda was intrinsically a bad thing" when talking about ISIS.

Masons=Klan.

It is what it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 17:06:42

At 11/19/17 04:54 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
I also lived in Nutbush/berclair/binghampton for 3 years. Dude, Raleigh is WORSE than Nutbush. I actually quite liked living in Nutbush. I live in Castalia/South Memphis now.

There's nothing wrong with nutbush. Of course you don't mind living there. You have to stop with the jokes.

Response to Dissociation is a superpower. 2017-11-19 17:07:26

At 11/19/17 04:54 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
The Mason's founded the Klan. That's like saying "As though being Al-Qaeda was intrinsically a bad thing" when talking about ISIS.

Masons=Klan.

It is what it is.

Dude are you an actual idiot? The Free Masons also founded America. The American motto is even inspired by the Scottish Masons' motto. I mean. Are you going to do the sophistic gymnastics of saying that USA=Masons=KKK so USA=KKK?
As for the Scottish masonic rite, it doesn't exist per se, every lodge being independent and having pretty much autonomy over its own rituals and orientations.

At 11/19/17 05:07 PM, Lilaa wrote:
Dude are you an actual idiot? The Free Masons also founded America. The American motto is even inspired by the Scottish Masons' motto. I mean. Are you going to do the sophistic gymnastics of saying that USA=Masons=KKK so USA=KKK?

Apparently I don't have to; you seem to have done it for me.

As for the Scottish masonic rite, it doesn't exist per se, every lodge being independent and having pretty much autonomy over its own rituals and orientations.

First you say they founded America, then you say they don't exist. Hoo buddy, those aren't two mutually exclusive lines of reasoning or anything.

BBS Signature