00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forensic medicine cases and stories

332 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm a forensic medic - death and injuries examiner. My work is about both law and medicine. Unfortunately, it's mostly about bad endings. About murders, lethal accidents, suicides, violence. About human stupidity cause most of these cases are caused by someone's dumb actions or drunkness wich is also dumb. Some of this cases may be interesting from medical point of view or as an examples that you'd better NOT follow. I'm not really sure if anyone will be interested in reading about this, but I'll try it anyway.

ATTENTION! The following post contains some description that can be unpleasant to someone.

I think I'll start with one of the most complicated and rare examinations I've performed. It was a few years ago, I was sent to another city for a month to replace its examiner during his vacations. It was a city far in the North, near the polar circle. It was April, but it was still cold and the city was covered with snow and coal mine fumes.
I've returned to a flat I rented after quite a tiresome day of work at morgue. After a really pleasant hot bath I started making dinner. A deer steak was murmuring something on a hot frying pan, filling the kitchen with tasty and peculiar smell (it was the first time I've tried a deer meat). I was anticipating a filling dinner and calm evening when I got a phone call. A number of local police station on the phone screen wasn't a pleasant thing to see - it most probably meant they need me for an accident scene investigation. But what I heard when I picked the phone was even worse.
"We have a helicopter crash" - they said. I've imagined a size of territory that will be covered in blood and body remains from a crash of a big transporter helicopter and I can swear my teeth were clanging when I replied "How many?"
The reply "one" was the most revealing thing I've ever heard in my life. So I had to turn off the fire under the pan and soon I was heading to the crash site.
Have you ever seen a snow-covered tundra? I hadn't - until that day. I went out of the car and saw it. It was breathtaking. It was vast. It was white. It was pure. A snow-covered plain, wherever you look, and the rays of the setting sun threw a colourful splashes on it. Somewhere at the huge distance stood the grey mountains, its silhouettes blurred with a veil of mist. And in the middle of this masterpiece created by nature was an artificial stain of black and red. A pile of distorted metal that one could barely recognize as a remains of a small helicopter and a human shaped figure connected to the vehicle by a wide trace of blood-covered snow.
The pilot was lying face-down, he had no helmet on him. Multiple bone fractures caused by a hard fall turned his body into a marionette doll, his body parts could be moved and twisted independently. When I turned him face-up, I saw a deep wound in his forehead. The still hot blood seeped from the wound, melting a snow under his face.
The next day I performed a corpse examination. The wound in his forehead was caused by a metal fragment of the helicopter panel - the hit was so hard it pierced even the bone and went deep into the brain. The man's spine was torn in half, his organs severly damaged and mostly turned into a bloody pulp. He had no chances to survive.
The pilot was a buisenessman, quite a rich one. He owned the vehicle. He had no pilot license. He hadn't informed the authorities about his flight. He wasn't drunk, but that meant nothing - he just had not enough skills to control a vehicle in a poor weather conditions anyway. The moment he sat in the helicopter that day he signed his own death sentence.

Please let me know if you find this at least a bit entertaining and if there is a reason to post more cases.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Forensic medicine cases and stories 2017-11-13 10:11:34

So first off, I would love to read these whenever you post them so feel free to tag me in the post or send me a message when you do. (I'll probably see it anyway, I check the forum daily)

Second, are you allowed to share these stories? I mean, I guess as long as they're public knowledge and you don't share anything that could give any sensitive details... I just don't want you to get in trouble if your employer ever finds out.

Response to Forensic medicine cases and stories 2017-11-14 00:19:24

At 11/13/17 10:11 AM, Fro wrote: So first off, I would love to read these whenever you post them so feel free to tag me in the post or send me a message when you do. (I'll probably see it anyway, I check the forum daily)

Sure I'll do! I'm really glad to hear you are interested in them.

Second, are you allowed to share these stories? I mean, I guess as long as they're public knowledge and you don't share anything that could give any sensitive details... I just don't want you to get in trouble if your employer ever finds out.

Nah, It's fine if I don't post any personal data. The cases I'm going to post are already solved and closed, so it's okay to describe them.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Forensic medicine cases and stories 2017-11-21 05:37:31

Finally found some time to describe another case from my work. I've decided to give this one a title.

Gone fishing.

As I've already mentioned, one of my task as a forensic medic is helping the police in case scene investigation, even if it's not a murder, but there is a chance of homicide or another crime involved. Unfortunately, such incidents don't take place only in comfortable city area, but, as in the previous example, far in the wildlands. Sometimes the site is so hard to reach that the way to it can turn into a small adventure by itself.

It was the year after the helicopter crash, in the same northern city, a bit later in the spring. The snow almost completely melted, but it was still cold, and the nights were still bright as days. Approximately at 22:00 the police got a report of a drowning case in quite a distance from the city, and an investigation group was arranged. There was no way to reach the scene by car, so we had to travel by the railroad. Unfortunately, it usually takes a lot of efforts to convince the train crew to let us hop into, since the railroads are a commercial company and they give no shit for police problems. But that day the negotiations went well, so we made part of the way with some comfort.

Of course, there was no train station near the place we headed to, so we had to enjoy a undescribable pleasure of a midnight walk along the railroad, acoompanied by delicate smell of occasionally passing by coal-transoprting trains. According to the initial report, the corpse and the witness must've waited for us near the rail bridge over a small river, but - surprise, surprise, when we finally reached it, we found NO ONE. The group had to split to search each part of the coast, and, of course, we couldn't find any trace of witness or corpse. Suddenly, the man in question appeared out of nowhere (from dense bush covering the coast, to be correct) and brought some extremely good news - the case scene isn't exactly here, but it's near - just 7-10 km through the forest. This caused some really emotionall and educational comments from police officers (educational for me as I've learned some new obscene words), but these comments couldn't save us from yet another walk.

To be honest, I'm not that good with physical excercises. For example, I hate running or weightlifting. But I do love walking, including a forest walk, since my childhood. Unfortunately, I hadn't many chances to go for such a walk since my graduation from high school, and... That forest wlak was SO refreshing! Maybe the forest we were straddling through that day wasn't really welcoming. It was indeed wet, it tried to cath our feet into a water-filled pits hidden by green grass or leaves, and a heavy rain made sure that our heads were also thoroughly wet. There was no paths, and we were jumping over or crawling under fallen trees, balancing on rotten tree trunks when crossing small ponds, etc... But it was still very refreshing. The forest was already awakening for a short northern spring, and a mixture of green patches of grass and white patches of last snow was extremely pleasant for my eyes after days spent in grey dull city. All the smells of forest, mixed in the raindrops, were tingling my nostrils, and my head was as clear as it hadn't been for really long time.

This walk took us approximately 3 or 4 hours but we finally reached our destination. The incident scene was a part of coast that was low and covered with sand, where two boats were tied to a tree. The witness told us that he went fishing with his fellow, and that man fell from the boat while cheking the fishing nets. Of course, they had no lifejackets. And of course they were drunk. The corpse was catced by a bushes branches in the middle of the river, wich had quite strong and VERY cold stream. The witness proposed to tie two boats together, swim to the corpse and pick him up into the second boat. The problem was - there was only one oar, the others were dragged away by the stream when the deceased fell from the boat. No one liked this idea, especially since it was coming from obviously drunk man, but there were no other options. Thank gods, I wasn't the one who picked a short straw and had to sit in the boat with that drunk fisherman.

As I've already mentioned, the stream was strong. Right after the pair of boats tried to swim towards the corpse, they were pulled in by the stream and flipped bottom up. The witness and the unlucky officer fell neck deep into the ice-cold water. The rest of us hurried to drag them out of there (luckily there was a really long and sturdy tree branch in the water, they grabbed it and we pulled them on the coast). Of course, the river took both boats somewhere far away. We had no options but to dry ourselves near the fire and contact the rescue service for their assistance with special equipment. And of course, there was still a long way back too.

This was the longest scene investigation I've ever partisipated in, we wasted 12 hours for this useless (from professional POV) journey, the whole group cought a cold, and we almost lost the witness and one officer. Oh, and one more thing - both the deceased and the witness didn't know how to swim. AT ALL.

Here comes the morale - If you want to catch fishes and not feed them with yourself, don't drink while fishing. Obvious, but multiple drawning cases shows that some people don't understand this.

Response to Forensic medicine cases and stories 2017-11-21 15:41:54

I never enjoyed fishing, but the older I get the more I realize I like to have some quiet time with nature and a beer.... I may rethink picking up fishing as a hobby unless I harness myself in and stay on shore.

Response to Forensic medicine cases and stories 2017-11-21 23:58:14

At 11/21/17 03:41 PM, Fro wrote: I never enjoyed fishing, but the older I get the more I realize I like to have some quiet time with nature and a beer.... I may rethink picking up fishing as a hobby unless I harness myself in and stay on shore.

So you aren't fond of fishing? What about hunting then? I have some bloody stories about that in store too )