00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

German National Elections Thread

687 Views | 7 Replies

German National Elections Thread 2017-09-23 10:01:40

Tomorrow, the people of Germany will elect a new national parliament. This matters because that parliament will then elect the chancellor, meaning it affects who your countries' leaders will have to deal with in international talks and what not. So this is a thread to discuss the election. I'll follow up with some information on how exactly it works.

We use a special form of proportional representation in Germany (the specifics of which are rather complicated, so I'll only explain on request) with an additional 5% threshold - any party that gets less of the popular vote is discarded entirely. There are still a bunch of smaller parties that will gain some seats, however, and they could wreck quite a bit if they want to. Many are taking a Merkel victory for granted (the campaign season was definitely the most boring one I've ever seen), but if her contender Martin Schulz proves to have more balls than Gabriel did four years ago, he might even lead a majority coalition against her. Well, hope dies last! Anyway, the following parties are expected to gain seats:

CDU (Christlich-Demokratische Union/Christian Democratic Union): One-woman party (Merkel). Has no clear positions, will stand for whatever they believe will get them votes, and have been very effective in hypnotising the populace into voting for them.

CSU (Christlich-Soziale Union/Christian Social Union): The CDU's mini-me. Has a death grip on Bavaria, but literally does not exist in the rest of the country. Furthermore, they don't seem to know that the CDU doesn't need them for a majority.

SPD (Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands/Social Democratic Party of Germany): The party of Schulz. Have been in a coalition with the CDU these past four years, completely failed to take credit for their achievements, and suffered declining poll numbers as a result. Also still haven't yet recovered from Schröder (chancellor 1998-2005) betraying their principles and dealing with 5 million unemployed in a half-assed way, which resulted in about half of those people employed and still not better off.

It should be noted that, barring a miracle, no one of any other party has a shot at becoming chancellor.

FDP (Freie Demokratische Partei/Free Democratic Party): Used to be liberal, then Lambsdorff came along and turned them into the party of big business. Been in a CDU-led government from 2009-2013, and been rewarded with 4% of the vote in the 2013 election, thus being kicked out of parliament. They are really desperate to get back in.

Die Grünen (The Greens): Former hippies who also sold their soul in the Schröder government. Still strong on environment protection, but will rubber stamp almost anything else that's put in front of them.

Die Linke (The Left): Formed as a result of the SPD's shift to the right. Champion social issues, and are willing to repair what Schröder broke. Still decried as being communists, which is especially comical given Germany's history. This is also the only party that won't enter a CDU-led coalition, and thus they are guaranteed my vote at least, for all the good it does them.

AfD (Alternative für Deutschland/Alternative for Germany): Basically the FDP's economic policies spiced with a whole lot of anti-foreigner rhetoric in order to fish for votes among the less savoury. Also host some really shady personalities (including some borderline or even outright neo-Nazis), and have already ousted their leadership twice in the short five years of the party's existence. This spells chaos.

So, there are quite some options as to whom Merkel will devour next, and even a slim chance it'll be herself. Depending on which of the bottom four parties emerge as #3 (which seems to be the most contested position, going by latest polls - each of them is somewhere around 10%), things could become really interesting. If you want to know when the results can be expected, voting stations close tomorrow at 6 PM German time - do the math for your own respective time zones.

So, feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here, and if you have any questions, ask and I'll try to answer them.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-09-24 16:51:34

Nazis get over 12% of the votes. Fuck that, didn't we learn ANYTHING AT ALL from history? You don't fucking vote for fucking Nazis!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-09-24 18:27:36

At 9/24/17 04:51 PM, Haggard wrote: Nazis get over 12% of the votes. Fuck that, didn't we learn ANYTHING AT ALL from history? You don't fucking vote for fucking Nazis!

I don't know why you're surprised, shitty immigration policies lead to reactionary retard movements. Merkel is a contributing factor in their success.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-09-25 05:52:22

At 9/24/17 04:51 PM, Haggard wrote: Nazis get over 12% of the votes. Fuck that, didn't we learn ANYTHING AT ALL from history?

yeah people realized that the bad guys won WW2 and now they're trying to fix the mess that they've made of the world for the past 70+ years.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-09-25 09:15:10

So, the results are in. I've added a picture below (source: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bundestagswahl-2017-alle-ergebnisse-im-ueberblick-a-1167247.html). Top is percentage of the vote, bottom is number of seats (and yes, we really have 709). Now what does this mean for our future government?

Option A: Go full Austria and leave everything as it is. Besides guaranteeing even more catastrophic results in the next election, this would also leave the role of opposition leader to the AfD, making it kind of a worst case. The SPD has already refused, but I'm not taking them at their word.

Option B: Coalition CDU-FDP-Greens. Seems the most likely at this point. Requires Greens and FDP to find some sort of compromise, which is hard, but not impossible.

Option C: Minority government. We've never had one on the national level before, and I don't think we ever will, since they might as well go straight for…

Option D: Scrap everything and have the election repeated. The question here is what good it would serve.

Either way, I'm in serious need of whiskey right now.

At 9/24/17 06:27 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
At 9/24/17 04:51 PM, Haggard wrote: Nazis get over 12% of the votes. Fuck that, didn't we learn ANYTHING AT ALL from history? You don't fucking vote for fucking Nazis!

Have you seen the poll about motivations to vote? 60% of AfD voters said they voted for them not out of support, but out of disappointment about everyone else (for context, for the other parties it's the other way around). So the majority of AfD voters are less Nazis and more plain fucking stupid for not knowing the people they thus elected are most definitely Nazis.

I don't know why you're surprised, shitty immigration policies lead to reactionary retard movements. Merkel is a contributing factor in their success.

I won't disagree our immigration policies are shitty, mostly because they're all improvised since we don't have any sort of law codifying them (and guess who blocked all proposals for one?), but I also think the refugee crisis was made out to be more of an issue than it really is.

German National Elections Thread

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-09-25 14:27:51

At 9/24/17 06:27 PM, Nickisabi wrote:

First, I am not surprised, it's just that you don't fucking vote for nazis, ever.
Second, the immigration policies are fine, but we don't have "mass immigration" we have "mass refugees", that's a difference. Third, what would have been the option? Saying "Oh, we would love to help you, but our borders are closed"? Germany is one of the most wealthiest countries in the world, we have the duty to help people in need, no matter if they are "economic refugees" or "war refugees". Fourth, the biggest factor in success for populist is that they know how to spread fear and the media is just too happy to help them. Just so they can hypocritically ask "where does all this hatred come from?" later on.

What I hope for now is that the other parties deal with AfD on a political basis. Don't react to their dumbness, that's just how they got so big in the first place. Deal with them on a political basis, question what they say, ask how they plan to achieve what they promised and it will become clear that there's not much of substance behind what they say.
Biggest proof was when Gauland was asked: "what constructive contribution do you think your party can offer to politics in germany?" and he answered "right now that's not our job". What the hell?

At 9/25/17 05:52 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 9/24/17 04:51 PM, Haggard wrote: Nazis get over 12% of the votes. Fuck that, didn't we learn ANYTHING AT ALL from history?
yeah people realized that the bad guys won WW2 and now they're trying to fix the mess that they've made of the world for the past 70+ years.

You'd still root for Hitler if he put you in a concentration camp, I bet.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to German National Elections Thread 2017-11-20 12:31:50

At 11/20/17 02:50 AM, lapis wrote: I thought she had it in the bag but apparently it's back to the drawing board for Merkel.

I would never have believed Christian Lindner of all people to have what Don Corleone would call "real balls".

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to German National Elections Thread 2018-03-04 06:16:53

Update since I feel like I shouldn't leave this thread without a conclusion:

It's settled. The election's biggest losers will form our new government, and we go full Austria. Some heads have rolled, but the one who'd need it the most (Merkel) will remain.

The fact that it took this long is kind of news in itself.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature