00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Catch20Two just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any good Resident Evil clones?

2,945 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Any good Resident Evil clones? 2017-08-04 19:23:23

I love the Resident Evil games especially RE2 and RE4 because of the atmosphere and story. It's a shame there are not many horror games like those anymore. I am looking for a survival horror game that has a lot of things in common with the Resident Evil series of games. I do not care if they are AAA or indie, just as long as it has an awesome atmosphere, decent storyline and some action thrown in. However, I have already played the following Resident-Evil like games:

Parasite Eve(PS1)
Extermination(PS2)
Galerians(PS1)
Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2(PS1)

Just throw me anything besides the games I mentioned that you think is similar to the Resident Evil games. I appreciate it.

"Get busy living or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne -The Shawshank Redemption

Have you played RE7 yet? It's far more faithful to the original games than you might think at first glance.

Anyway here's some suggestions.

-Silent Hill 1 and 2 - probably the best 'RE clones' ever made, I'd be surprised if you haven't already played them but you didn't list them so... (SH1 is on PS1 and for download on PS3/PSP/Vita, SH2 is on PS2 and Xbox. There's an HD remake of SH2 on 360 and PS3 but they infamously butchered the graphics for it and ruined the look of the game)

-Dead Space 1 and 2 - basically Resident Evil 4 in space. Very action heavy with unique weapons and an emphasis on dismembering your enemies. Dead Space 1 is one of my absolute favorite games of last gen. (PS3, 360, PC)

-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Very similar to RE1's gameplay, with slightly more complex combat (it's sort of like Fallout's VATS, you lock onto an enemy and tilt your stick left/right/up/down to target an enemy's arms/legs/head). More melee combat as well since it starts in the modern day but later on it has you playing several characters in historical settings. Infamously this has a sanity meter, and as it drops the game gets really creative in how it fucks with you, from making you think you've sat on your remote to making you think your save file has been deleted. Very unique. (GameCube exclusive sadly)

-Haunting Ground - Another Capcom game, has you exploring a creepy castle. It's a spiritual sequel to Clock Tower but with full movement instead of the point n click gameplay of the earlier games. (PS2)

-Alone in the Dark - One of the main inspirations for RE. Very dated now, but if you like RE1 you might still get something out of this. RE1 is one of my favourite games and I loved playing through this as a result, it has basically everything RE1 does gameplay-wise but with a Lovecraftian backdrop. (PC, try the GOG.com version)

-Myst - now hear me out, because there's no combat or supplies or anything, but in terms of exploring an eerie place and solving puzzles this is still great. If that's what you like about RE this might be worth playing. (PC, I'd recommend the "realMyst: Masterpiece" version)

@sirleibl nice userpic btw, Zidane is a coolboi

At 8/4/17 08:44 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I've heard Deadly Premonition's tank controls compared to Resident Evil before. It fits your other requirements as well.

Deadly Premonition is good for its characters, story and general goofiness but the horror segments are utterly abysmal and combat is by far the worst part of the game. I'd say this is only entertaining in spite of the RE similarities.

Response to Any good Resident Evil clones? 2017-08-07 04:51:05

At 8/4/17 07:23 PM, sirleibl wrote:

Parasite Eve(PS1)

I'd argue that Parasite Eve 2 is much more in line with being a Resident Evil clone than the first game.

Response to Any good Resident Evil clones? 2017-08-11 05:58:47

Not that I have much experience with these games, but the Clock Tower series might be worth looking into. I think they were all "point and click" style games, other than Clock Tower 3 which was released on PS2.

The only game in that series I've played for any length of time is the 1996 Clock Tower on PS1. The graphics are goofy but I don't think any other game I've played has felt as tense as that one. You're exploring various areas without any weapons knowing that the killer could appear at any moment (randomly) and you have to run. It feels really slow though.

At 8/5/17 11:39 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 8/4/17 08:44 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I've heard Deadly Premonition's tank controls compared to Resident Evil before. It fits your other requirements as well.
Deadly Premonition is good for its characters, story and general goofiness but the horror segments are utterly abysmal and combat is by far the worst part of the game. I'd say this is only entertaining in spite of the RE similarities.
The director's cut of the game that was released on the PS3 and PC fixed those issues. Particularly the combat system. It still feels dated, but it is infinitely more playable. You are able to appreciate the atmosphere of the horror sections so much more as a result.

I'm not sure how much I'd say the director's cut improved the issues with Deadly Premonition, but it did get rid of the tank controls, which did make it easier to play. Still my favourite game of all time regardless.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature