00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

OVCharlie's Art Thread

386 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:13:50

Last year I stumbled across some art videos / tutorials on Youtube. At the time it was mostly drawing tutorials, and pen and ink work (primarily Draw with Jazza and Alphonso Dunn). I was 35 years old at the time and have never had the urge to draw or paint. Something in the videos resonated and I've been practicing since then (with a lot of lulls). Admittedly the drawing has been very slow going. I don't have progress pictures, but imagine the worst of the worse.

About three weeks I (again) stumbled across some master class watercolor videos on Youtube, and then immediately starting searching and watching tutorials. After buying some watercolor supplies I've been at it pretty steadily since then. I watch a lot of various artists but the primary ones I'd like to credit are: Jazza, Alphonso Dunn, theVirtualInstructor - Matt, Peter Sheeler, Alison Fennell, Proko, Alan Owen, Circle Line Art, Mind of Water Color, and Yong Chen.

Any critiques and suggestions (even who to learn from online) are greatly appreciated.

I've uploaded some images to my gallery but will post them here as well. Seems like the thing to do.

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:21:24

This one I did following along with Peter Sheeler's line and wash tutorials here.

This was my fifth watercolor attempt, and third line and wash (or is it Pen and Wash?). This was the first drawing / painting I was every satisfied with. Which gave me motivation to start doing more line and wash.

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:27:37

I attempted to recreate the hare in the tutorial by Alison Fennel here.

The first one I thought my blending was pretty bad and I had a lot of hard edges. The main difference between materials used by Alison and I are the paper. She is using hot press and I only have cold press (140lb/300 gsm).

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:28:16

Then I tried again and added horns...

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:33:59

This is a line and wash I did from a Pinterest post. I don't have the link to the original, but I changed the fence slightly, moved the bucket, and changed the colors.

I was fairly satisfied with this one. Though I would definitely change the fence post color.

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-03 10:39:29

Another watercolor attempt by following along with Alison Fennel, found here. This was a little too ambitious for my current skill level. Inadvertently it looks like ice cream and bacon (as suggested on imgur). That could be something to try.

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-04 02:41:11

At 6/3/17 10:21 AM, OVCharlie wrote: This one I did following along with Peter Sheeler's line and wash tutorials here.

This was my fifth watercolor attempt, and third line and wash (or is it Pen and Wash?). This was the first drawing / painting I was every satisfied with. Which gave me motivation to start doing more line and wash.

In the top center of the door it looks like you tried to bend the lines into perspective to meet the opening door, I would recommend making a vanishing point to base your perspective off so that you won't have to bend lines. Good luck! :)

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-04 10:40:01

In the top center of the door it looks like you tried to bend the lines into perspective to meet the opening door, I would recommend making a vanishing point to base your perspective off so that you won't have to bend lines. Good luck! :)

Yes, thank you. That is exactly what I did. I also noticed the error- but it was too late. I feel I did the same thing with the vertical line of the door on the far left.

Thanks for reading and providing input. I'm very new and every bit helps!

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-04 10:51:41

Anatomy attempt of a nose with color pencil. Taking some lessons from the virtualInstructor on Youtube here

OVCharlie's Art Thread

Response to OVCharlie's Art Thread 2017-06-05 00:03:21

I jumped on Pencil Kings to check it out. The website design seems pretty terrible to navigate, and a lot of the community seems dried up. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my first impression. The first course I took, on caricatures, ended with decent results. So no complaints there.

OVCharlie's Art Thread