00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

It begins. Special Prosecutor named

653 Views | 14 Replies

Well, it looks like it begins. The Deputy Attorney General of the DOJ, Rod Rosenstein, names Robert Mueller, former FBI director, as Special Prosecutor to probe any possible links between Russia and the Trump administration/campaign.

It might turn up a few things, but I'm not sure if it will do much to get congressional Republicans to denounce Trump and think about impeachment hearings. But this is better than the current partisan show going on in Congress.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-05-22 15:03:05

This is one of those stories that is probably going to lie dormant for awhile (like this thread) because any concrete, good investigation is going to take awhile to produce anything. Mueller gets very high marks for his thoroughness, and for the White House it's just another in a long string of headaches, this perhaps worse then many of the others due to the nature of these sorts of investigations.

This right now isn't much more then what the opening post says it is. But it has the potential to become a discussion of historic importance. Stay tuned.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-05-22 16:20:01

Probably won't see as much in the news about this for a while, since Mueller is supposed to be a no-nonsense guy. He'll keep the door closed and work on it seriously, without playing media games. At least, that's the characterization he's been given.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-05-22 21:54:48

At 5/22/17 05:48 PM, watertemplefml wrote: pence's nose is so fucking small

The only thing smaller on him is his...

heart.

He is an evil, hateful man. He is the reason I hope this investigation drags on past 2018, but does not result in an impeachment. Trump may a fucking nut job, but at least he's a fucking nut job. Regardless of what he wants (or whomever is picking the policy) wants, he's so much of a self sabatoging oaf that he can't get any traction. Pence directly wants to discriminate against women, racial minorities, and the LGBT crowd, ANF he knows how to do it, and how to do it relatively deftly.

I say let Trump and the GOP languish under their entirely self made shitshow, and then return a result when the consequences of that result can no longer millions upon millions of Americans.

I was watching PBS Newshour, and one the guest, a media friend to Trump, Chris Ruddy, who works for the Conservative media site Newsmax, blurted out that Trump is seriously thinking about firing special counsel, Robert Mueller. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump was talking about this, and it seems that he can fire a special counsel, if he doesn't like the way it's heading. Of course, this will just make things a 100 times worse, but, this is Trump we are talking about, who seems to be devoid of good common sense not to do things that put him into even more trouble.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-13 00:46:04

At 6/12/17 10:31 PM, EdyKel wrote: I was watching PBS Newshour, and one the guest, a media friend to Trump, Chris Ruddy, who works for the Conservative media site Newsmax, blurted out that Trump is seriously thinking about firing special counsel, Robert Mueller.

Kamala Harris brought this very issue up a few days ago, which Rod Rosenstein basically gave a non-answer for (despite her insistence for him not to do so - which she was wrongly reprimanded for). So this is your answer: no, the investigation will not be independent, and yes, the president will likely try to pressure him out of the investigation, as well.

Oh boy, let's see the inevitable tirade of "But he has the right to fire whomever he wants!" from people who miss the fucking point if/when he fires Mueller.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-14 19:58:25

The criminal investigation has begun

The last two impeachment proceedings were for this exact crime.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-15 17:44:01

At 6/15/17 05:39 PM, megabyte12345 wrote: hillary isnt in jail yet tho

the wildfire has started and you cant stop it

For what? And besides, she's no longer a threat to Trump, or Republicans, so they have no reason to persecute her with a witch hunt.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-15 18:02:33

At 6/15/17 05:50 PM, megabyte12345 wrote:
At 6/15/17 05:44 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 6/15/17 05:39 PM, megabyte12345 wrote: hillary isnt in jail yet tho

the wildfire has started and you cant stop it
For what? And besides, she's no longer a threat to Trump, or Republicans, so they have no reason to persecute her with a witch hunt.
authors write, users use, planes fly, and criminals serve time.
that said, trump should probably have some time too (i dont know what for but he seems bad enough idk what do i know)

It's highly unlikely that Trump will ever go to jail, even if there is evidence of collusion with Russia, or that he is found guilty of obstructing justice, or other cases of corruption.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-15 19:31:21

At 6/15/17 06:02 PM, EdyKel wrote: It's highly unlikely that Trump will ever go to jail, even if there is evidence of collusion with Russia, or that he is found guilty of obstructing justice, or other cases of corruption.

It is, but not impossible. Because if he gets convicted of obstruction, then the next logical question is: WHY did he obstruct? Is he protecting a subordinate he values (seems unlikely given he's.....well....never really done that)? Or was/is he trying to cover up and get someone off the hook who could possibly ruin him, or people close to him (I mean, Kushner got busted a little while back for that "back channel" thing, maybe it's as simple as trying to shield him from consequences)?

Like I said at the top, this is a thread that's going to be moving slow, because investigations this big tend to move slow....because they have to. Because even a President like Trump is still the President....you do not want to cast stain on that office unless you're entirely and completely sure.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-15 19:32:38

Trump only has himself to blame for this. If he had been smart and stayed away from all of this, hell if he had welcomed the investigation with home arms then none of this would have happened. Instead he had to get involved in the worse possible way.

Of course he is going to find someone to blame for this because he can never admit fault.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-16 12:04:50

Investigating Trump for Obstruction and actually getting a conviction or impeachment are very far apart even when you ignore political bullshit.

They have to prove the connection to some circle close to Trump to differentiate from the right of the boss of the FBI to shut down any investigation. They may have to also prove that Trump knew that something may be found. I'm not versed in Federal obstruction case law, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is included in intent.

My guess is that this investigation will likely turn on the Russia investigation. If the Russia issue turns out to be all smoke no fire, or that it stays comfortably away from Trump most inner circle, I bet that obstruction, even with intent, will not go anywhere.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-16 12:11:55

At 6/16/17 12:04 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Investigating Trump for Obstruction and actually getting a conviction or impeachment are very far apart even when you ignore political bullshit.

They have to prove the connection to some circle close to Trump to differentiate from the right of the boss of the FBI to shut down any investigation. They may have to also prove that Trump knew that something may be found. I'm not versed in Federal obstruction case law, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is included in intent.

My guess is that this investigation will likely turn on the Russia investigation. If the Russia issue turns out to be all smoke no fire, or that it stays comfortably away from Trump most inner circle, I bet that obstruction, even with intent, will not go anywhere.

Well, you never know where these investigations are going to lead. The Clintons were investigated for 7 years over Whitewater, and Bill was impeached by house republicans over a lie he told over an affair with Monika Lewinsky.

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-17 13:27:19

There has been some rumblings for some time now about the Acting Attorney General, Rob Rosenstein, who appointed the special council, recusing himself from the Russian investigation. This week that got a bit more teeth in it after Trump tweeted, moaning, about how unfair it was that the person who was investigating him was the one who told him to fire Comey - though, Trump had already made up his mind about that before he got the letter from Rosenstein. The next in line at the DOJ to take over the investigation would be Rachel Brand, if Rosenstein recuses himself. I wonder if the DOJ will run out of lawyers at this rate? XD

Response to It begins. Special Prosecutor named 2017-06-17 15:14:22

At 6/17/17 01:27 PM, EdyKel wrote: This week that got a bit more teeth in it after Trump tweeted, moaning, about how unfair it was that the person who was investigating him was the one who told him to fire Comey - though, Trump had already made up his mind about that before he got the letter from Rosenstein.

That's Trump for you. Backtracking and throwing someone else under the bus rather then take blame himself.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page