00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"?

4,492 Views | 19 Replies

Gamejolt, Origin, Steam. They have their "launchers", or "access without needing a browser"
It would be awesome to have this on Newgrounds.

Gamejolt, Origin, Steam. Eles têm seus "launchers", ou "acesso sem necessidade de um navegador"
Seria daora se isso fosse adicionado aqui no Newgrounds.

null

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-15 11:56:51

At 5/15/17 11:40 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: @TomFulp tell this man why this can't happen...

I would actually like to have one. We don't need one as much at the moment because our content all works in a web browser - the purpose of traditional launchers is to run downloadable games which may also require other software on your PC. However it would be cool to have a version of NG that exists outside the web browser and that can support SWF content after browsers stop... It would also increase the potential for us to move into downloadable content if we decided to do that once and for all.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-15 12:16:58

At 5/15/17 11:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I would actually like to have one. We don't need one as much at the moment because our content all works in a web browser - the purpose of traditional launchers is to run downloadable games which may also require other software on your PC. ...

Well ok, thank you!
(PS: you are awesome!)

null

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-15 18:57:49

That would be awesome cause of flash compatibility, like Tom said, but in order to stay relevant in today's era of html&js/webgl/etc. this platform would also need to support other technologies. Tom would probably have to write a new "browser" that handles javascript, html and so on. It's a lot of work, if you can't use some open source interpreters. I'm not sure if there are any.

BUT IMO if this was to become reality, it would be great opportunity to make a (I guess) first quasi-browser that uses Python as the 'main language' instead of JavaScript. That could probably make Newgrounds great again or some shit like that - if successful, that could spark a revolution in web game industry.

@DJ-Ri what do you think?

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-15 20:33:56

At 5/15/17 06:57 PM, Makakaov wrote: @DJ-Ri what do you think?

That would be pretty cool. If the site had some sort of API where the client could connect directly to some host and request specific pieces of data, it would be possible to implement a platform-independent desktop client without the overhead of HTTP. Definitely non-trivial project, though.

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-15 22:55:44

thats interesting and im down for that and im sure many others would like that as well.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-16 14:16:22

I mean like the idea! I mean it could still be based on the web languages, just that it has surefire Flash support even in the future.

Imagine what the interface would look like.. mmhm

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 12:23:00

Flash has been around for quite a while. Newer versions of it just won't run older files reliably, so any kinda Flash player could sure use legacy buttons... and not like the ones Windows uses (which rarely work), since it's all emulated crap anyway

Also and for the record, I've got a little over 10 GB (almost 4,000 files) of old NG flash animations/games hoarded away, back from a time I didn't have any internet at home, and would burn a CD or load a thumb drive from a relative's house on the weekends. Problem is, the filenames don't always match the title of the submission, but with a little luck...
(bringing this up, because I've heard certain submissions were pulled, never to be seen again, even by their own authors!)

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 12:45:26

At 5/19/17 12:23 PM, VicariousE wrote: Also and for the record, I've got a little over 10 GB (almost 4,000 files) of old NG flash animations/games hoarded away, back from a time I didn't have any internet at home, and would burn a CD or load a thumb drive from a relative's house on the weekends. Problem is, the filenames don't always match the title of the submission, but with a little luck...
(bringing this up, because I've heard certain submissions were pulled, never to be seen again, even by their own authors!)

Keep them safe for the day I take over newgrounds' legal department and all the lost content makes their triumphant return.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 13:10:24

At 5/19/17 12:45 PM, YomToxic wrote: Keep them safe for the day I take over newgrounds' legal department and all the lost content makes their triumphant return.

Can only wonder if I have any long lost Klacid content (or other ForkHeads stuff) that was deleted... I do have short thing Emily did at a Pico Day, that was blammed/removed by author. Might have some stuff from that guy who made Memohuntress (who made it big on Steam, found religion, and took all his stuff off NG). Having the submission number's the easiest way for me to check... wonder if the Obituary pages are fixed?

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 13:49:20

I AGREE, but idk if a NG launcher is really useful.

The post above makes no sense and shouldn't be taken seriously given that the person who said it is completely braindead. I was talking about me in case you didn't notice.

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 14:27:12

Would actually be fairly straight forward to create this. Its easy to embed browsers inside native desktop applications these days.

CEF, Electron to name but a few.

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-19 16:51:10

A Newgrounds launcher would be pretty damn cool. Not only would it be great for downloadable content and flash retro-compatibility, it could also be used to introduce and distribute purchasable content, like music albums, animated movies (like, full lenght movies) and more ""advanced"" games. Heck, it could even support non-html5 and non-flash games, kinda like Steam. So content creators and Newgrounds could somehow raise their earnings and people would be more prone to publish things via the Newgrounds platform.

These are just ideas though.

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-05-20 02:56:27

the steam launcher is the stupidest shittiest thing to ever happen

Now thinking about it....after all this time with this topic. Yes, it would be nice (and awesome), but useless because of the browser version. (the only version). I think Newgrounds is ok where it's today. Even praying to have a mobile version.

null

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-12-21 10:45:01

At 5/15/17 11:40 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: @TomFulp tell this man why this can't happen...
I would actually like to have one.

Pfft, I could make that in 1 day. But I know how much you hate my guts.

I made the Newgrounds Mobile app, but it's gone now.

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-12-21 11:36:47

I doubt I'd use it but it would be cool!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-12-21 16:10:24

With all the cash flow NG receives you'd think it'd be possible.

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-12-23 08:43:49

What do you think of creating a mobile app from Newgrounds? 'o'

In the days of Kings and Queens I was a jester . Treat me like a God or they treat me like a leper ^~^

BBS Signature

Response to What about a "NewGrounds Launcher"? 2017-12-23 19:11:08

At 12/23/17 08:43 AM, MeowPew wrote: What do you think of creating a mobile app from Newgrounds? 'o'

It would be awesome! An android/IOs version of Newgrounds.

null

BBS Signature