00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HAST3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for Reviews for New Game

385 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for Reviews for New Game 2017-04-25 16:43:09

Hey, I recently released a game. It doesn't seem to be getting as many reviews as my games usually do.
Its sitting at 3.68 stars at the moment, but isn't on the best new games and movies when it is rated higher than half of the stuff on there.

I would strongly appreciate reviews for my game, positive or negative (but constructive though).
Anyways here it is:

At 4/25/17 04:43 PM, FIL1994 wrote: Hey, I recently released a game. It doesn't seem to be getting as many reviews as my games usually do.
Its sitting at 3.68 stars at the moment, but isn't on the best new games and movies when it is rated higher than half of the stuff on there.

I would strongly appreciate reviews for my game, positive or negative (but constructive though).
Anyways here it is:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/692419

I jumped the gun on my review, and shortly after, I wanted to amend it.
The review:

Better than I was expecting. The UX is actually very polished, but I wouldn't have guess that from the empty load screen, and cumbersome home page.

I'm confused why I should go with a higher quality publisher with a lower royalty, I assume it's for more revenue, but that's not conveyed well.

The fact that you break down how skills affect book types in the description indicates that the game does not make this clear enough, there's also random things I wish had mouse over descriptions, like "compo".

Overall, it's an interesting game, that I wouldn't have expected to enjoy.

Change the name

I figured out most of what I didn't (still could be conveyed better), but my problem is, once I find a good combo what's to stop me from just publishing that over and over, and focusing on those skills? You could have some kind of trend stat that shows what types of books are popular, forcing me to change genres. The only benfit to being multi faceted is the medals. but the easiest way to get those is to delete your save and start over. Speaking of medals, 100 books is well beyond how long this game can keep my attention.

I also think the game is too freely paced, I recommend putting some sort of milestone in there, like you need X money by week Y to pay for something or else the game ends, kind of like Papers, Please, how you have upkeep on your rent and children's doctor bills.

Overall, the game is still interesting and deceptively entertaining but the game gets repetitive really fast, and there's absolutely no obstacles to overcome. and seriously scrap that home page book with turnable pages. it looks and interacts like garbage.

Response to Looking for Reviews for New Game 2017-04-26 09:27:40

At 4/26/17 02:19 AM, GeoKureli wrote: I figured out most of what I didn't (still could be conveyed better), but my problem is, once I find a good combo what's to stop me from just publishing that over and over, and focusing on those skills? You could have some kind of trend stat that shows what types of books are popular, forcing me to change genres. The only benfit to being multi faceted is the medals. but the easiest way to get those is to delete your save and start over. Speaking of medals, 100 books is well beyond how long this game can keep my attention.

I also think the game is too freely paced, I recommend putting some sort of milestone in there, like you need X money by week Y to pay for something or else the game ends, kind of like Papers, Please, how you have upkeep on your rent and children's doctor bills.

Overall, the game is still interesting and deceptively entertaining but the game gets repetitive really fast, and there's absolutely no obstacles to overcome. and seriously scrap that home page book with turnable pages. it looks and interacts like garbage.

That is very helpful thanks.

I think the idea of genre and topic trends was something I scrapped in 4 and forgot to revisit for 5.
The idea was that if you wanted experience you would write a book that would take a long time to write. If you wanted lots of money you would find the cheapest combo. If you wanted immersion you would choose whatever you felt like.

I wanted the game to give the player lots of freedom, but I guess that was perceived as a lack of direction or any kind of goal.
Writer Man is done. I never liked the name, but couldn't think of something better. I'll probably make a spin-off that has goals, time constraints and whatnot.
"Deceptively entertaining" is a good way of describing the issues with the game which makes the spin-off idea all the more tantalizing.
The turn-able pages seemed like a neat idea, but was a little gimmicky.