00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Scirrra Construct Is a Scam!

2,838 Views | 29 Replies

Just giving people here a heads up to not get involved with any Scirra Construct engine and it is a scam.

I got scammed into buying a licensed version because they claimed it had working exporters for lots of platforms. Complete lie and the exporters don't work properly and many don't work at all.

The engine is full of bugs and Scirra owner Ashley will not do anything to fix them and after 5 years there are still hundreds of bugs in the engine causing games to crash or not export right and all kinds of editor glitches.

Now they are trying to scam people in to getting a subscription engine where you have to pay $99 up front and $99 a year but you don't own anything and you can't edit your own games without the subscription. If they go out of business (very likely) or just stop renewing your subscription you are totally screwed and you can't even open your own games.

The new C3 engine is a total joke and crashed even on their own demo games. 12 pages of bugs in the first day and hundreds of bad reviews of it in the forum that they are now banning members for and hiding.

Now they are claiming they will build new runtimes for the engine which is what we all thought they were doing to start but is really an excuse for creating a disaster of an engine and they want people to subscribe without seeing any of the features and exporters working because they don't even have them coded yet.

Ashley and Tom are a couple of f***ing liars and they are taking advantage of new game designers with a scam subscription for an engine that doesn't work and is full of bugs and they have no intention of keeping their promises to add features and exporters.

So do yourselves a favor and steer way clear of Scirra!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-04 18:57:53

Tom here from Scirra, just throwing in my hat here for anyone who might stumble across this thread.

We are obviously not a scam, and any online business has a handful of irrationally angry customers ;)

I've spent a few hours over the last week attempting to answer this particular customers questions, but nothing would satisfy him. So, time to move on.

Anyone who has a concern or question about what we offer is more than welcome to email me personally! (Email address is tom@construct.net). We've always been very accessible to our customers ever since we started 5 years ago.

> Ashley did this once before when he worked for Gamemaker and he designed 3D engine and advertised we could share our games but no way to share with anyone. When we all complained he ran away with our money and started Scirra. I was not aware it was the same person until just recently.

Utterly and factually incorrect, there's about 4 falsehoods in your opening sentence alone.

Adios!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-04 20:17:27

At 4/4/17 06:57 PM, Scirra wrote: We are obviously not a scam, and any online business has a handful of irrationally angry customers ;)

That's the damned truth. I remember coming across Construct before version 2 several years ago, and found it to be a solid program. Never actually made anything with it, but it was, at the time, one of the best game making tools I'd used. (I haven't looked at Construct 3 as I've not done anything game dev-related for years.)

I can say with confidence that Construct is not a scam.

Honestly, @RadicalGames, it seems like you have an axe to grind.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-04 20:28:14

At 4/4/17 08:17 PM, Diki wrote:
At 4/4/17 06:57 PM, Scirra wrote: We are obviously not a scam, and any online business has a handful of irrationally angry customers ;):

" Never actually made anything with it"

So you are not a game designer and your opinion means nothing.

At 4/4/17 06:57 PM, Scirra wrote: Tom here from Scirra, just throwing in my hat here for anyone who might stumble across this thread.

You are a f***ing liar Tom and you and Ashley are running a massive scam trying to get people to subscribe to an engine full of bugs by promising exporters and features you have not even coded and after 5 years waiting for Ashley to fix C2 you abandoned us with an engine full of bugs and exporters that don't work.

You can't even find 10 people that have said they want a Chrome browser based subscription engine.

You are straight lying to the members and you will abandon C3 and run off with their money just like Ashley did before.

C3 is just another scam you perpetrate on new game designers but us old C2 users are not going to let you get away with it this time.

Tell everyone the truth Tom or pay the price!

At 4/4/17 08:28 PM, RadicalGames wrote:
At 4/4/17 06:57 PM, Scirra wrote: We are obviously not a scam, and any online business has a handful of irrationally angry customers ;):

You don't need to be a game designer or developer to be able to recognise quality programs, or, more notably, to recognise programs being used as a scam. I never made anything with it because I don't need the aide that Construct provides; I can make games by writing code without the help of a point-and-click interface. (I also haven't done game dev work recently because my job is web development and that takes up a lot of my time.)

I'm not sure who you expect to sway from using Construct by being this petulant.

At 4/4/17 08:57 PM, Diki wrote:
At 4/4/17 08:28 PM, RadicalGames wrote:

You don't need to be a game designer or developer to be able to recognise quality programs

Yes you DO need to be a game designer to even understand if an engine is functional and does what is promised.

Tom and Ashley straight lied to all of us long time game designers and they promised an engine with working exporters and features and promised to fix bugs and it was never done.

Now they are abandoning us to make a new browser based engine no one wants that can't run our games and they expect people to subscribe so they can hold our games hostage.

That is the truth and you can go look at the hundreds of bug reports and terrible reviews of the new engine here:

https://www.scirra.com/forum/so-what-is-your-first-impression-of-c3_t189564

https://www.scirra.com/forum/bug-reports_f194

I have nothing against you man and I am just trying to keep other people from being scammed like we all were.

At 4/4/17 06:57 PM, Scirra wrote: Tom here from Scirra, just throwing in my hat here for anyone who might stumble across this thread.

We are obviously not a scam, and any online business has a handful of irrationally angry customers ;)

I've spent a few hours over the last week attempting to answer this particular customers questions, but nothing would satisfy him. So, time to move on.

Attempting to answer my questions Tom?

Now tell the truth and you tried to silence me with threats to ban me and when that didn't work you got your little pack of troll buddies to attack me personally and when I beat the hell out of all of them you banned me and then made up lies to everyone that you were being threatened.

Go read the forum people and you will see how Tom has lied in this post.

Ashley straight lied about his blog and you and I know he said you are sunsetting C2 and he went and changed it real fast when I caught it.

Ashley straight lied when he asked for feedback that he had responded to me and EVERYONE on that thread knows he lied and he just does not want it exposed that you are abandoning C2 for a bullshit browser engine full of bugs and it is a complete scam.

Now people on the forum and all your members will know the truth as I will contact each and everyone of them and not a damn thing you or Ashley can do about it.

Tell the forum members the truth Tom or pay the price!

At 4/4/17 09:21 PM, RadicalGames wrote: Yes you DO need to be a game designer to even understand if an engine is functional and does what is promised.

Design and development are two different schools of thought. Either way, it's usually very easy to tell a finished, professional product from a scam or just poor implementation. I just downloaded a trial of C2 and ran through a few examples to give it a look; it seems solid enough. I agree that without proper context and time spent with a particular product or engine it's difficult to determine what, if anything, needs fixing and what is done correctly- however that doesn't mean every bug report and complaint is an accurate representation of the product, or even accurate at all.

As Diki said earlier, you clearly have an axe to grind. Best not do it here. Honestly I love discussion provided it is at least relatively reasoned. Hot debate is sometimes fun as long as it doesn't de-rail things too much. If you can point out real flaws or issues with proof of concept (preferably helping items like images or video) then I'm sure the developer would be reasonable in discussion as well. I personally would love to try (or just see, provided a particular item or feature is missing) something new and throw my two cents in.

So far all I'm getting is "C2 is missing features and has bugs, and C3 is coming out" which seems fairly logical to me, considering that version numbers tend to go up when new features are introduced and old bugs are fixed. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

At 4/4/17 10:19 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 4/4/17 09:21 PM, RadicalGames wrote:

So far all I'm getting is "C2 is missing features and has bugs, and C3 is coming out" which seems fairly logical to me, considering that version numbers tend to go up when new features are introduced and old bugs are fixed. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Yes you are missing alot and I provided the links to the hundreds of bugs and reviews in my post so this is not just my rant and and if you have not been on the forum and worked with those engines and felt the frustration of many hundreds of people that can not get a game they worked for a year to export so they can make some money then you are just not following what I am saying.

We are not hobby designers and we produce games for steam and Newgrounds and many platforms and those games take lots of time and money for graphic designers and sound producers and to have your engine totally fuck up your game in an export or eat you game in a crash is not acceptable for what we pay for a license and Ashley and Tom straight lied to us all.

Now they are abandoning us when we spent our time developing plugins and workarounds for that engine so it would finally work and instead of respecting us they drop support for C2 and go with with a browser based engine no one wants and they want to hold our games hostage so we can't edit them unless we pay their blackmail.

So I am very pissed and my post here is to advise people to not get scammed like we were and that does not just effect game designers it also hurts the graphic designers, sound designers and websites like Newgrounds when that happens.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-05 00:37:05

At 4/4/17 08:33 PM, RadicalGames wrote: C3 is just another scam you perpetrate on new game designers but us old C2 users are not going to let you get away with it this time.

So you support Construct 2, but not Construct 3? You claim these people are crooks yet you support their previous works. Sounds like C3 has some bugs to iron out in an ongoing Looking at the the scirra forums, C3 has been in beta for a week (free beta, might I add), don't expect perfection and hold off until the waters calm.

Now tell the truth and you tried to silence me with threats to ban me and when that didn't work you got your little pack of troll buddies to attack me personally and when I beat the hell out of all of them you banned me

I'd ban anyone who acts the way you are

Yes you are missing alot and I provided the links to the hundreds of bugs and reviews in my post so this is not just my rant and and if you have not been on the forum and worked with those engines and felt the frustration of many hundreds of people that can not get a game they worked for a year to export so they can make some money then you are just not following what I am saying.

Nothing here strikes me as a scam, if anything it's a shaky transition. don't expect all of the bugs to be fixed immediately.

At 4/5/17 12:37 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 4/4/17 08:33 PM, RadicalGames wrote:
Nothing here strikes me as a scam, if anything it's a shaky transition. don't expect all of the bugs to be fixed immediately.

You apparently have no idea how game design works. We pay a lot of money for an engine to design our games and Scirra falsely advertised their engine to have exporters we need for different platforms. Without those exporters the engine is worthless. Those bugs crash our games won't let users play on their systems so we look bad.

So please don't stick your nose in stuff you don't understand. It isn't a shaky transition and Tom and Ashley is scamming people out of their money and now they are starting another scam with a new engine so full of bugs it won't even run their own demos but they are advertising all kinds of features and exporters and a new runtime they haven't even coded yet and their history proves they are dishonest and that engine is never going to work as advertised and then they will run off with people's money.

I am trying to keep people from being scammed lime all of us were.

You apparently have no idea how game design works.

RadicalGames, you need to calm down and stop insulting everyone who doesn't agree with you. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you need to work with us here. Lets break it down shall we.

You have made multiple claims, and accusations.

I got scammed into buying a licensed version because they claimed it had working exporters for lots of platforms. Complete lie and the exporters don't work properly and many don't work at all.

What proof do you have that the exporters dont work at all? Did you personally encounter bugs in export of the application? If so did you make bug reports on the Scrirra forums you can link?

After a quick google search I could not find any exporter threads on their forums older than 2014.

The engine is full of bugs and Scirra owner Ashley will not do anything to fix them and after 5 years there are still hundreds of bugs in the engine causing games to crash or not export right and all kinds of editor glitches.

All software has bug, all software has a bug fix backlog and some bugs that will simply never be fixed. What bugs did you encounter in the engine? did you make bug reports on the Scrirra forums you can link? Can you link a bug thats been open a long time that they have refused to fix?

Now they are trying to scam people in to getting a subscription engine where you have to pay $99 up front and $99 a year but you don't own anything and you can't edit your own games without the subscription. If they go out of business (very likely) or just stop renewing your subscription you are totally screwed and you can't even open your own games.

This is interesting, I would very much like to know if this is true. If it is true, it is not illegal. When you buy any software, there are terms and conditions you have to agree to, if in the terms it says that they can refuse you access to anything you upload to their site, then people need to be aware of this when they get the subscription. However it seems highly unlikely to me that they would lock me out of my own games if I cancelled my subscription. that would not be good for business, it seems far more likely that they would simply remove a load of features from my account, such as the ability to export my games to a certain format. Which is perfectly acceptable. If you cancel your netflicks subscription do you still expect to enjoy netflicks services for free? thats not how the world works.

I just checked on their FAQ page, here is an exert that completely counters your above claim that they will lock you out. As I thought, they will restrict your export, but you will still have access you all of your assets. I see no problem with that.
"What happens when my subscription ends?

You'll still be able to open your projects in the free edition, but you will not be able to edit or export them. You will still have access to all your files and assets."

"Can I continue to sell my games after my subscription expires?
Yes.

You do not need an active subscription to sell your games once you've published them."
https://www.construct.net/ie/make-games/faq#pricing

The new C3 engine is a total joke and crashed even on their own demo games. 12 pages of bugs in the first day and hundreds of bad reviews of it in the forum that they are now banning members for and hiding.

Its beta software, there will be bugs, and they are a small company, they cannot fix hundreds of bugs in a few days, it will take time. Based on the threads you linked, they are active on the bug fixing already.

Now they are claiming they will build new runtimes for the engine which is what we all thought they were doing to start but is really an excuse for creating a disaster of an engine and they want people to subscribe without seeing any of the features and exporters working because they don't even have them coded yet.

Bold claim, links to evidence of this?

Personally, I have used C2, and taught a game development course for kids where we made several projects and all of the exports worked fine. Perhaps you have simply not implemented your game correctly resulting in a buggy export?

Have a pleasant day :D

At 4/5/17 07:43 AM, Funkmachine wrote:
You apparently have no idea how game design works.
RadicalGames, you need to calm down and stop insulting everyone who doesn't agree with you. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you need to work with us here. Lets break it down shall we.

Another person that has no clue how game engines work trying to give me advice.

So let's get you all an education:

C2 was created over 5 years ago and they included in their advertising that it would work to export on multiple platforms. It has NEVER worked correctly and most of the exporters do not work at all. That means game designers that may have spent years and lots of money on a project can not publish their games to the format promised in the advertising and they can't make revenue from their games.

These are not hobby game designers and they are people like the developers of Penelope and many professional designers with games on Steam that now can not port those games to other revenue platforms because Scirra lied to us all.

This has been going on for 5 years and we have waited patiently for Scirra to fix exporters and bugs that crash our games and many of us wrote plugins and workaround to help Scirra solve some of the problems but the problems are too much for most designers so they just give up and go to another engine and Ashley and Tom continue to lie to us all that they would get those problems fixed while selling that same engine to thousands of people knowing full well they ere falsely advertising and the engine would not work for any serious game design.

Now after 5 years they come out and tell us they are dropping support for C2 that thousands of us use and instead they are going to sell a C3 browser based engine that we will not be able to use with our C2 games because they rely on the plugins we created to fix the issues of C2 so that engine is worthless to anyone that created any serious C2 game and they are making it impossible for people to use that engine to export those games.

That means many years of hard work and money thrown down the drain on games for many people that had expected Scirra to honor their license and advertising. Get it now!

The new engine hs been reviewed by MANY long time C2 usrs and it so full of bugs it won't even run their own demos and Ashley is deliberately limiting the beta because they know that the engine will crash the Chrome browser cache if you make anything more serious than pong that uses many functions, sprites and effects. That means that engine will NEVER be useful to any serious game designer but again they are falslsy advertising it as a serious development tool.

Only this time it is not a onetime payment and they are scamming new developers into a subscription model and they are not telling people that you do not own the engine and if you stop the subscription you WILL NOT be able to edit your games and if Scirra goes out of business or stops renewing subscriptions you are totally screwed.

Ashley and Tom are straight lying to people in the forums and when their lies are exposed by me and other experienced designers they have silenced us using trolls and banned us with false claims.

There are not just a few bugs in C3 and there were 12 pages of bugs and it was filling up so fast Ashley started hiding the bugs and blaming it on users and now blames it in the runtime which he wrote and is saying he will make a new runtime but won't give any time frame and that is just an excuse to keep people hooked in so he can sell them a useless engine full of bugs and lock them into a subscription.

He is again promising all these features and exporters will work but won't let anyone test hem and they are planning to release that garbage engine and hook in a bunch of new game designers just like they hooked in C2 users with promises that someday the engine will work.

Ashley and Tom are liars and they scammed thousands of people with C2 and now they are trying the same scam with C3 and people need to be made aware of that scam.

So you can have your opinion but I and many C2 users have watched this go on for over 5 years and we are not going to let Scirra get away with scamming a lot of new game designers again.

Scirra is dropping support for C2 and the C3 engine is a pile of garbage and no one should believe that Ashley and Tom will ever fix that engine because that is just a scam they use and they will drop support for C3 after people catch on to the scam and just release the next Scirra garbage engine to scam the next group of new game designers.

Now you know!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-05 08:56:06

At 4/4/17 02:31 PM, RadicalGames wrote: Just giving people here a heads up to not get involved with any Scirra Construct engine and it is a scam.

Ashley and Tom are a couple of f***ing liars and they are taking advantage of new game designers with a scam subscription for an engine that doesn't work and is full of bugs and they have no intention of keeping their promises to add features and exporters.

So do yourselves a favor and steer way clear of Scirra!

Be aware that some of Scirra employees are here trying to pass themselves off as game designers to cover up the scam Scirra is promoting.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-05 09:18:49

At 4/5/17 08:56 AM, RadicalGames wrote: Be aware that some of Scirra employees are here trying to pass themselves off as game designers to cover up the scam Scirra is promoting.

No they're not. @egg82, @GeoKureli, and myself have been active posters on here for years—the only user who hasn't been as active as us is @Funkmachine, and even a cursory glance at his posting history will show his account is not a sockpuppet. There is also nobody in this thread posting from an IP address shared with another Newgrounds account.

You seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant and/or incompetent, and now, apparently, also a shill. As I said before, you're not going to convince anyone of what you're asserting by being petulant and condescending.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-05 10:00:58

At 4/5/17 09:18 AM, Diki wrote:
At 4/5/17 08:56 AM, RadicalGames wrote: Be aware that some of Scirra employees are here trying to pass themselves off as game designers to cover up the scam Scirra is promoting.

Stop Lying About The C3 Pile of Garbage!

The first thing Scirra needs to do is stop lying to game designers that C3 is ever going to work properly and that you have any intention of providing working exporters and features and this is just another scam.

For 5 years now C2 users have watched Scirra lie to us over and over about fixing the exporters you advertised and fix the hundreds of bugs that constantly crash our games and put in the features you keep promising only to have Ashley use the same excuses he is giving in this idea thread.

The truth is Ashley has no intention of ever fixing anything and the exporters will never work properly and once enough people catch on to Ashley and Tom's scam they just drop support for that engine claiming it is a runtime issue or the users fault and start their next scam engine to sucker in a bunch of new game designers.

Tell us how long it will take to build those fancy runtimes and features you are promising Ashley?

You better have 5 years to sit around and wait for those if they ever happen and I can tell you now they will never happen.

The fact is Ashley is dropping support for C2 and our C2 games will never work on C3 because of the many plugins we use and those plugin designers are not going to waste their time on a Chrome browser based engine no one wants and is so full of bugs it won't even run their own demos.

The fact is Scirra engines are only useful for beginners and hobbyists and will never be a serious game design tool and you are wasting your money and time on Scirra engines. There are many better engines out there for serious game design.

The fact is Ashley and Tom have been notified by me and several programmers that the C3 engine will never perform properly because it relies on Chrome cache which can not be changed without a system hack and when your cache fills up you will see significant lag and it can crash your entire system.

The fact is C3 is relying on Chrome which is using WebGL that is only an experimental feature available on Chrome and Chrome could decide to stop using that or make radical changes to that tomorrow leaving you with an expensive but useless pile of garbage that Ashley will blame on Chrome even though he knows that can happen.

The fact is Ashley and Tom won't do a 3D engine because Ashley was run off from GameMaker for stealing there 3D designs and selling a crap 3D engine that he claimed we could export from that never allowed anyone to export their games and when he was exposed by hundreds of angry customers he ran off with our money and started Scirra. He is probably being sued and has been forced to never produce a 3D engine. Contact GameMaker and get that information.

So do not fall for the same scam that thousands of C2 users did and C3 is never going to be anything but another Ashley scam and pipe dream of unfulfilled promises while he rakes in money from new game designers and then drops the engine to promote his next scam.

How about we fix that issue Ashley and Tom!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-05 18:42:46

Well, it's been fun reading Radical's pages of butt hurt text, and telling us we know nothing of game design (when he actually means game development and engineering, since this has nothing to do with design) when he is actually the least qualified in that department, here. Good luck convincing anyone of anything when you just act like a 6 year old every time your absurd allegations are questioned.

If you hate Scirra so much, learn to program, or team up with one. Thanks for the warning, move on

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-08 14:22:12

At 4/5/17 06:42 PM, GeoKureli wrote:

Why are you helping Ashley and Tom scam people?

Seriously- C2 users have been waiting 5 years for Ashley to fix the exporters and hundreds of bugs in C2 only to be fed a bunch of empty promises he never intended to keep.

Many long time C2 users got fed up and left and some made plugins and workarounds to at least keep C2 workable for basic game design but now those won't even work in C3 so most of our C2 games are useless in a C3 engine and the members that created plugins and tutorials to try and support C2 to make it better have been shit on by Ashley with a subscription engine that no one wants.

Most of the plugin developers have long since moved on from Scirra to better engines and a company that respects them so don't expect any of them to fix the problems you can all see exist in C3.

Ashley makes all kinds of promises to add features and fix bugs and include exporters but he releases C3 so full of bugs it won't even run their own demos and crashes for no explained reason so why would anyone think he is going to be capable of adding in features and exporters and keep his promises. He had to hire outside programmers just to create the garbage they are calling C3 and they are just temporary and will not be around to fix things later.

So you all need to ask yourself if you are willing to wait another 5 years and listen to the promises and lies of Ashley that he will someday fix bugs and add features and exporters and create a runtime that actually works when his history with C2 shows he can't and won't keep his promises?

What Ashley and Tom are hiding from you all is the fact that a Chrome based browser engine will never work properly on an average system because of the cache limitations in Chrome that can not be changed without a system hack. They have been notified of those limitations and they are hiding that fact from members by releasing a very limited beta with just 40 events and no features to test because they know if you have lots of sprites and effects and music files it will crash the Chrome cache and and probably crash your entire system.

The fact is C3 is relying on WebGL which is only an experimental feature on Chrome and tomorrow Chrome could decide to stop using WebGL or radically modify it and then your C3 games and engine will not work and you will be left holding an expensive subscription pile of garbage. Ashley knows this is true so why does he keep pushing a Chrome browser engine and he is straight lying that it will ever work on any other browser because they do not use Chrome WebGl and never will.

The reason Ashley wants a browser based engine is simple. They don't want anyone to own an engine so that you are forced to maintain an expensive subscription and they will hold your games hostage so you can't edit them unless you pay their ransom.

Tom has admitted that and if Scirra goes out of business (very likely) or just stops renewing your subscription for any reason you are totally screwed.

People need to accept the reality that Scirra will never be a serious design tool for game designers and is at best a prototyping tool for simple games and hobby designers and if you want to waste money on an engine full of bugs with out features and exporters you can verify will work and you have 5 years to wait only to learn Ashley lied to you then go ahead- but at least now you go into that decision with your eyes wide open.

Three simple questions for Ashley and Tom to answer:

1- why after 5 years have you not fixed the hundreds of bugs in C2 and if you have those features and exporters working now why won't you just include them in a C2 update so the people that already paid you for those can have them?

2- You have made many promises of features and exporters and a new runtime in C3 but what is the timeline to create those and why can people not test those now in the beta?

3- You have made promises to keep supporting C2 users but your entire focus is now on C3 and those C2 games with plugins will not run on C3 and those plugin designers have all moved on so how is that supporting C2 users?

Hi guys, I'm a new member here, just came across this and wanted to throw in my 2c -- hope that's ok! I'm not a Scirra/Contruct employee and have no affiliation with them. My name on the Scirra forums is jbadams if anyone wanted to investigate that further.

Firstly, the claim that OP "was silenced" at the Scirra forums I think is pretty demonstrably false. His handle on their forums was 'lamar', and I think a quick look at OPs profile and most recent forum topic pretty clearly shows that he was in fact allowed to continue asking questions and (rather aggressively) sharing his dissenting opinion far beyond the point many other engine developers would likely have banned the account.

Secondly, the ranting about "hundreds of bugs" is a bit silly given the product is in very early beta -- the whole point of this phase is to find and fix bugs, so the fact that hundreds have been reported (a very reasonable number of which appear to have been fixed or started to be fixed) is a Good Thing™. This is not "released" software, it's still in development (open beta) and paid licences are not yet available.

Thirdly, OP is rather fixated on the fact that "no one wants a browser-based engine". It's absolutely true that no one was asking for this particular design decision. However, a cross-platform editor is something that many people have asked for repeatedly, and going browser-based is one way of offering that -- a lot of feedback from the beta has been from Mac users who are happy to be able to use the editor without switching to Windows. A small number of people were also requesting the ability to edit projects on mobile, and again going browser-based has offered that. Although no one asked for it, a lot of people are pretty excited about the remote preview feature that is much more easily possible because of the browser-based architecture. The fact that no one was asking for a browser-based editor is largely immaterial; creating the engine this way seems to have allowed Scirra to provide a number of other features that lots of people do want as a by-product.

Construct 2 has always been very stable in my experience, and the overwhelming majority of features that were promised were provided; the one real exception to that has been ongoing problems with some of the exporters for different platforms, which were indeed provided but relied on third party services and at various points have unfortunately suffered different problems ranging from serious stability problems, bugs, and frequently less-than-ideal performance. From everything I saw in several years of using the product for prototyping, there was, however, a constant effort to try to address these problems and switch to better alternatives when possible. If it were my company I would certainly have done things differently and offered these as "not officially supported" advanced options clearly advertised as having some issues, but I don't think what Scirra did provide can be reasonably described as a "scam", but perhaps rather an unfortunate situation despite the developer's best efforts.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-08 23:04:59

Got a couple of Tom and Ashley's lapdog trolls coming here trying to defend Scirra.

Scabs that have never contributed anything to C2 and their opinions are worthless.

Ashley has now hid all the bugs in C3:

https://www.scirra.com/forum/we-re-moving-bug-reports-now-on-github-issues_t190239

Over 12 pages and 300 bugs reported that he just closed and hid so people won't know how bad C3 is.

Yes, because openly announcing that you're moving bugs to a better suited (and still publicly accessible) system whilst leaving the old forum-based bug reports visible (they're not really hidden as suggested) is very sneaky and underhanded.

Of course like anyone else who dares to share an opposing opinion (even one that acknowledged faults with Scirra) I'm apparently a lapdog who's opinion doesn't count, so I won't waste any further time engaging with the OP. Perfectly happy to discuss my experiences with the software with anyone else though. :)

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 03:44:11

Seriously- C2 users have been waiting 5 years for Ashley to fix the exporters and hundreds of bugs in C2 only to be fed a bunch of empty promises he never intended to keep.
Many long time C2 users got fed up and left and some made plugins and workarounds to at least keep C2 workable for basic game design but now those won't even work in C3 so most of our C2 games are useless in a C3 engine and the members that created plugins and tutorials to try and support C2 to make it better have been shit on by Ashley with a subscription engine that no one wants.
Most of the plugin developers have long since moved on from Scirra to better engines and a company that respects them so don't expect any of them to fix the problems you can all see exist in C3.
Ashley makes all kinds of promises to add features and fix bugs and include exporters but he releases C3 so full of bugs it won't even run their own demos and crashes for no explained reason so why would anyone think he is going to be capable of adding in features and exporters and keep his promises. He had to hire outside programmers just to create the garbage they are calling C3 and they are just temporary and will not be around to fix things later.
So you all need to ask yourself if you are willing to wait another 5 years and listen to the promises and lies of Ashley that he will someday fix bugs and add features and exporters and create a runtime that actually works when his history with C2 shows he can't and won't keep his promises?
What Ashley and Tom are hiding from you all is the fact that a Chrome based browser engine will never work properly on an average system because of the cache limitations in Chrome that can not be changed without a system hack. They have been notified of those limitations and they are hiding that fact from members by releasing a very limited beta with just 40 events and no features to test because they know if you have lots of sprites and effects and music files it will crash the Chrome cache and and probably crash your entire system.
The fact is C3 is relying on WebGL which is only an experimental feature on Chrome and tomorrow Chrome could decide to stop using WebGL or radically modify it and then your C3 games and engine will not work and you will be left holding an expensive subscription pile of garbage. Ashley knows this is true so why does he keep pushing a Chrome browser engine and he is straight lying that it will ever work on any other browser because they do not use Chrome WebGl and never will.
The reason Ashley wants a browser based engine is simple. They don't want anyone to own an engine so that you are forced to maintain an expensive subscription and they will hold your games hostage so you can't edit them unless you pay their ransom.
Tom has admitted that and if Scirra goes out of business (very likely) or just stops renewing your subscription for any reason you are totally screwed.
People need to accept the reality that Scirra will never be a serious design tool for game designers and is at best a prototyping tool for simple games and hobby designers and if you want to waste money on an engine full of bugs with out features and exporters you can verify will work and you have 5 years to wait only to learn Ashley lied to you then go ahead- but at least now you go into that decision with your eyes wide open.
Three simple questions for Ashley and Tom to answer:
1- why after 5 years have you not fixed the hundreds of bugs in C2 and if you have those features and exporters working now why won't you just include them in a C2 update so the people that already paid you for those can have them?
2- You have made many promises of features and exporters and a new runtime in C3 but what is the timeline to create those and why can people not test those now in the beta?
3- You have made promises to keep supporting C2 users but your entire focus is now on C3 and those C2 games with plugins will not run on C3 and those plugin designers have all moved on so how is that supporting C2 users?

You're just reposting the same thing over and over again any time anyone points out that not only do you not know what you're talking about, you've shown you have no experience with any form of development, let alone one aimed firmly at the mid-tier with features designed to assist beginners. In fact, your posts in this thread are just a carbon copy of the posts in the other thread you started on the EXACT SAME THING (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1421856).

This is why you were banned from the Scirra forums and, hopefully, NewGrounds has a mod or two paying attention to make sure your vitriol doesn't leak out any farther into their forums.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 18:03:36

At 4/9/17 12:35 AM, jastleadams wrote:

Change your profile pic little stinky lapdog:

Scirrra Construct Is a Scam!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 23:01:29

At 4/9/17 12:29 PM, PixelMetal wrote: In fact, your posts in this thread are just a carbon copy of the posts in the other thread you started on the EXACT SAME THING (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1421856).

Thanks for pointing that out; I would have closed that sooner had I known he posted this thread twice.

Having said that, @RadicalGames: I'm going to leave this thread open for now but if you continue acting like a child and talking down to anyone who offers dissent, I'll just close this one as well. You're more than welcome to voice your opinion, but these forums are meant for discussions, not you going on inane and inefficacious rants.

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 23:17:29

At 4/9/17 11:01 PM, Diki wrote:

Having said that, @RadicalGames: I'm going to leave this thread open for now but if you continue acting like a child and talking down to anyone who offers dissent,

Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately- even in a minor arcade website apparently.

Do you know how people become moderators on a minor websites like New Grounds?

Just be a major loser in real life!

Now back to discussing Scirra's new engine C3.

Ashley won't tell people the fact that it will never function properly because it relies on the Chrome browser cache and once you get a bunch of sprites, effects and sound files in a game it fills up the cache and shows significant lag and will likely crash.

Ashley knows that and there is no way to change the cache setting without a system hack but he is hiding it by releasing C3 without any features and only 40 events so people don't know it won't work with any game more complicated than pong.

Ashley also is lying that C3 will ever work in any other browser because no other browser uses WebGL and WebGL is just an experimental feature in Chrome that they could discontinue using tomorrow or radically change so people's games and engine won't work leaving them with a big expensive subscription pile of garbage.

But hey who cares right!

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 23:34:18

I can't attest to whether or not it's a scam, but unless you're about 7 years old, you shouldn't be using Construct to begin with.

It really is Baby's First Game Engine, and you'd get far more mileage in every possible regard with Unity, Unreal, Source, OpenGL, SDL, Game Maker, LWJGL, or by just making your own engine from scratch using Java with awt.Swing, C++, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Scirrra Construct Is a Scam! 2017-04-09 23:47:08

At 4/9/17 11:17 PM, RadicalGames wrote: Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately- even in a minor arcade website apparently.

I don't know what you thought would happen if you posted Nazi imagery after I told you to stop acting childish, but I'm closing this thread. Don't make another one regarding this.