00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thatgooner just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Movie References in Games?

790 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Maybe a few obscure movies perhaps?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-01-05 00:22:54

Everything in Conker's Bad Fur Day

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-01-05 03:53:51

Silent Hill/Kindergarden Cop.

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-01-05 07:26:13

Snakes on a Plane reference in the original Guild Wars.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

I addressed this in another post, but Silent Hill's elementary school has clutter and architecture modeled after the school in the movie "Kindergarten Cop." One of the newspapers has the title "BILL SKINS FIFTH" which is a reference to "Silence of the Lambs"

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Leatherface reference in Silent Hill 2. While idling the chainsaw for about 30 seconds, James will lift it over hes head, rev it up and start screaming. His standing animation with said chainsaw is modeled after Ash from Evil Dead.

Countless references to 80s movies and shows in FarCry: Blood Dragon. Opening sequence of the game is shooting a minigun from a helicopter whilst "Long Tall Sally" plays. A side mission makes you look for mutant turtles that are wearing bandanas and eating pizza. Most of the guns are movie references too. The handgun is a 3-round burst pistol called the "AJM 9," "AJM being the initials or the guy from Robocop. You shoot the same sawn-off as the Terminator, with the same badass finesse. It's also full of video game references, like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect.
TL;DR - Get FC Blood Dragon.

Can't remember the name of the game, some dated FPS game, but while shooting the minigun after about 30 rounds your character starts screaming, which is either a "Rambo" or "Predator" reference. If anyone knows what game that is, let me know.

In Hitman: Contracts (the only one I've ever played, aside from 5 minutes of Absolution) there's a shotgun is a box of roses in one of the missions. Obvious "Terminator 2" ref. Also, there's ghosts in the hotel mission. Possibly a "The Shining" reference.

In Bully the character Petey dresses up in a bunny costume. That might be a "Christmas Story" reference, or just a cowinkiedink.

"Jason" is the name of a machete-wielding, hockey-mask-wearing, buffed up, murderous NPC in the jungle in Dead Island. You can get a chainsaw in his house, but if it runs out of gasoline you have to kill him again to go inside to get another one.
The challenge "Cardio" is a reference to "Zombieland." There's a pickaxe called the "Pick of Destiny."

In Red Faction (1) the guards occasionally yell "Rebel scum!" which is a "Star Wars" reference

In Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, in the bank robbing mission, you can interrogate a guard for a reference to the movie "Brazil," telling him that you're "Harry Tuttle" ... " an ill-tempered heavily armed engineer who's asking about the ventilation system"

In FarCry 3, you tell you're brother to "Get to the chopper" and when he can't fly it you tell him to "use the Force"

That's all I can think of from games I've played. I'm skipping GTA of course. Every mob movie and gang movie is referenced pretty much.

[edit] someone else already mentioned Silent Hill's "Kindergarten Cop" references. Pliz disregard

I was born ready. My eyelashes, alas, were not.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-01-05 17:57:58

In Jak III, when Jak dies, sometimes there's a short scene where Daxter talks to Jak while he's on the ground dead. In one of these scenes, Daxter says, "You came, you saw, you got your butt kicked.". I am very sure he was alluding to Dr. Venkman(Bill Murray) when he said in the original Ghostbusters movie, "We came, we saw, we kicked his ass!" after capturing Slimer.

"Get busy living or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne -The Shawshank Redemption

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-02-20 15:23:40

At 1/5/17 12:22 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote: Everything in Conker's Bad Fur Day

I agree. I loved this game online and the D day and ww2 part of the campaign. A lot of fun.

I can still recall remember laughing my ass off at the Matrix level in that game. Still love that game's sense of humor.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-02-20 21:17:36

At 2/20/17 09:05 PM, ZJ wrote:
I can still recall remember laughing my ass off at the Matrix level in that game. Still love that game's sense of humor.

Yes. It was my fave n64 game and still is

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-03-06 02:03:21

While playing Deadpool yesterday, there was a movie reference to Pulp Fiction at the end of chapter 6. Deadpool and Death were dancing like John Travolta and Uma Thurman from when they entered a dance contest at a restaurant in the movie. I thought it was the coolest thing ever because Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-03-06 14:02:39

Stuntman & Stuntman Ignition actually had parodied versions of real movies.

-A Whoppin & a Hollerin' dualogy is a parody of the Dukes of Hazzard
-Night Avenger is a parody of Batman
-Blood Oath is a inspired by the John Woo films
-Live Twice for Tomorrow & Never Kill Me Again is a parody of the James Bond films
-and The Scarab of The Lost Souls is a parody of the Indiana Jones movies

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Favorite Movie References in Games? 2017-03-07 05:49:56

Supposedly the sequence in which Snake jumps from sewers to the river below in MGS3 was inspired by a movie... Don't remember which one it was tho.