00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonBot just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★

27,882 Views | 414 Replies

Finished this book:

54. Das Joshua-Profil, Sebastian Fitzek, 430 pages

Das Joshua-Profil:

Max Rhode is a writer, his last books, infact all after his first very succesful debut, are not selling well. Rhodes is a law abiding citizen until he gets caught up in a net of horror, endangering his own life and more importantly, his adopted daughter Jola.

Great book, especially the last third is very thrilling. Book deals with child abuse, pedophilia and its treatments, the extent of Surveillance and Predictive Policing.

No english version available (yet).

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Done reading this book:

55. Die Bücherdiebin (The Book Thief), Markus Zusak, 586 pages

The story of The Book Thief is told by Death as a narrator. He tells us about Liesel, who is nine years old at the beginning of the book, just lost her younger brother and is in the process of finding a new home and meeting her foster parents, Hans and Rosa Hubermann.

Hans, the accordion player with the purest heart, teaches Liesel how to read and among other things, how to live. Also features Rudi, the smartest idiot and other great people.

Book begins with the Second World War and showcases how Liesel lives through those times (and steals some essential books in the process) and about Max the Jew, who finds a secret home in the cellar of the Hubermann's.

Wonderful book. One thing that many books about the Second World War have in common is being overly preachy but that's not the case here. It showcases the dismay of jews but also the difficulties of the german people standing up to it, one scene for example shows that giving a jew bread results in getting beat to a pulp with a whip.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Finished another book:

56. Lockwood & Co. - Das flammende Phantom (Lockwood & Co. - The Creeping Shadow), Jonathan Stroud, 492 pages

Lockwood & Co. - The Creeping Shadow is the 4th book of the Lockwood & Co. series. The series plays in London around the early 20th century. London is plagued by various forms of undead, phantoms, ghosts,etc. Supernatural entities of a higher level often have a source that has to be found and neutralised to truly seal them away (like an object that had significance to them when they were alive), so each case also has a fair share of detective work involved.

Several ghost agencies try to keep the undead at bay with silver nets, iron chains, salt bombs and various other things. One of those agencies is Lockwood & Co., the members are Anthony Lockwood, George Cubbins and Lucy Carlyle, newest member and main character of the books. Only children and teenagers can see (and thus effectively fight) the undead but all agencies are lead by adults (excluding Lockwood).

Cool books with an interesting setting. Most people know Stroud probably more for his great Bartimaeus series (finished series, 4 books, last one being a prequel that is a bit less good than the original trilogy).

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Done reading these three books:

57. Blade Runner (Blade Runner - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), Philip K. Dick, 260 pages
58. Ubik (Ubik), Philip K. Dick, 246 pages
59. Marsianischer Zeitsturz(Martian Time-slip), Philip K. Dick, 324 pages

Blade Runner - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?:

The year is 1992. Earth has become pretty much a desert planet after the last nuclear war. Not many humans are left on earth, many left to the Mars colony, constantly praised as paradise in the tv. Androids, that are nearly indistinguishable from human beings play a big role, Bounty hunter Rick Deckard has to find illegal Androids via tests (similiar to a Turing Test) to identify and eliminate them.

Pretty much all animals died out and having a real animal is a huge status symbol, one major motivation for Rick Deckard is gaining enough money to buy a real animal (he only owns an electric sheep).

As the book unfolds, it becomes clear that Rick Deckard struggles more and more with his job, as he starts to sympathize with the androids.

Great book. Love the setting of a rotten, hopeless planet and the net of distrust, never knowing who is an Android or not and being able to choose your emotion with a special device just resulting in a fog of numbess. Also questions how the humans can deny that far developped artifical intelligence has a consciousness.

Ubik:

The year in this one is also 1992. Death hasn't been defeated, however, people can be, when they are close to death, be shockfrosted and then brought out of that stasis for conversations. There are also people with mind powers, telepaths, that can read the minds of others and precogs, who can see all the possible futures and choose the best one for themselves (reminded me heavily of Dune).

The main character, Joe Chip, works for an organisation that protects people from those telepaths. One day the Runciter Associates gets a big offer: they are ordered to work for Stanton Mick on the moon to protect his workers. Shortly after the group of "inertials" (people who basically can stop telepathy) arrives, they are target of a bomb.

From that point on, reality gets absolutely thrown into shambles, Joe Chip and his group witness how they themselves age rapidly, how everything around them gets replaced in steps with older models (like older, previous versions of cars for example), culminating in a horrific scenario where nobody knows what's going on anymore, aside from the constant threat of death.

Also great. The story is tough to get into and gets crazy weird towards the end, I think it showcases how high forms of technology can trick our minds and warp our sense of reality (we see the potential start of something similiar with the VR-glasses).

Martian Time-slip:

Plays in 1994, on Mars. The colonists from earth have taken control of roughly 1/5 of the surface and banished and enslaved huge parts of the martian tribes, which are very similiar to human beings. First part of the book shows how various families live on Mars and what struggles exist, like limited food and water, both in terms of quantity and quality.

Jack Bohlen, a mechanic, suffers from schizophrenia. His destiny crosses with Arnie Kott, the leader of the Worker's union. Kott is constantly tring to increase his influence and power an gets increasingly distrustful of his surroundings. He tries to use the autistic child Manfred Steiner, who he (rightfully) assumes to be able to see the future; with the help of Bohlen, who is ordered to build a machine that makes communication with Manfred possible.

As the story unfolds, Jack suffers from multiple schizophrenic break-downs, further made worse by Manfreds's mysterious influence on reality. Pretty much all other characters also go through various forms of tragedies and stress, resulting in everyone's perception of reality getting shaped for the worse, culminating in a tragic net of distrust.

Liked that one as well. It shows greatly how our reality is formed by our beliefs, senses and state of mind, like fears and hopes.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Book #1: The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage, by Haruki Murakami (298 pages)

Tsukuru Tazaki had four best friends. By chance all of their names contained a colour. The two boys were called Akamatsu, meaning 'red pine', and Oumi, 'blue sea', while the girls' names were Shirane, 'white root', and Kurono, 'black field'. Tazaki was the only name with no colour in it.

One day, Tsukuru Tazaki's friends announced that they didn't want to see him, or talk to him, ever again.

Since that day Tsukuru has been floating through life, unable to form intimate connections with anyone. But then he meets Sara, who tells him that the time has come to find out what happened all those years ago.

=

Not sure where to start with this. This is the first I've read from Murakami, a name I often see in the context of potential nobel prize laureates. The prose is more simple and straight forward than I was expecting, and of course I'm a the mercy of a translator here, but apparently he's taken much more influence from western writers, even having translated books from English to Japanese and having his own writing criticised as "un-japanese".

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki is an intimate story of one overly ordinary man's life with a tinge of weirdness spread throughout. Very much about the journey rather than the destination, as many of my favourite parts were seemingly inconsequential side-stories. My favourite part was a complete tangential story told to Tazaki, of a friend's father who in his youth befriends an ailing pianist with an odd power. There's a very slight sense of magical realism but the book's world never enforces it outside of the character's minds. I can't tell if it's Murakami's style or Tsukuru's slightly unhinged mind, but for such a plain, ordinary person he thinks in some hella weird ways and paves the way for some trippy ideas. Like believing a particularly weird nightmare could manifest in reality, and retroactively cause him to do something in the past. Being written in third person makes it hard to gauge moments like that, if it's the whole fictional world that's weird or just Tsukuru.

The title refers both to Tazaki's years of isolation and more literally to a record he owns of Franz Liszt's Years of Pilgrimage. It's the only record he owns and was left behind by another friend, Haida (whose name contains the colour grey). Specifically the piece "le mal du pays" played by Lazar Berman comes up several times and in Tazaki's mind it serves a connection between important people and disparate parts of his life. The emphasis on music gave a really cozy, tangible atmosphere in some scenes (I guess it helps that I had to put on every track as it was mentioned). Another moment has a piano solo of Thelonuious Monk's Round Midnight - "His playing was so soulful it made Haida forget about the piano's erratic tuning. As he listened to the music in this junior music room deep in the mountains, as the sole audience for the performance, Haida felt all that was unclean inside him washed away"

The early chapters describing Tazaki's depression had me hooked - "It was as if he were sleepwalking through life, as if he had already died but not yet noticed it... and after school, when he would return to his solitary apartment, sit on the floor, lean back against the wall, and ponder death and the failures of his life". Once we're caught up to the present the rest of the book has Tazaki tracking down each of his old friends. This part has an excellent sense of forward momentum, and each one feels rewarding even for different reasons.

It's not without issue, though. Particularly the character of Sara, I found her chapters the hardest to get through. She's sort of a weak plot device, in that after so many years its her 'intuition' and insistence on arbitrary conclusions that sets Tsukuru in motion. It doesn't help that she's only described in terms of sex appeal and doesn't contribute much beyond forcing the plot into gear, and for me that left the end feeling a bit cold too. Their suddenly stagnant relationship is what spurs Tsukuru toward uncovering his past and getting back on track with her serves as his reward, like a feminine carrot on a stick.

The idea of 'Colourless Tazaki' not being so colourless after all is undermined somewhat with this fixation on Sara and her apparent control over him, rather than seeking resolution for his own catharsis and well-being, as that seems more than valuable enough to be its own reward, and one scene in particular seems there only to muddle Tazaki's growth further. It's somewhat frustrating as I feel the whole novel would have been more worthwhile had Tazaki moved forward of his own accord, removing Sara altogether, or failing that by expanding her into a character who isn't completely uninteresting. I wont make assumptions on Murakami's ability to write women based on just this one but it's certainly not a good example.

In the end while the blurb mystery does get resolved, much of the book is left unanswered, being left to the reader as to whether nightmares may infect reality, if someone's name and 'colour' has a special precedence in defining one's life, or if a weird ass pianist was actually carrying an amputated sixth finger in a little pouch (did I not mention that bit?). More than that it's a meditation on how much can get lost in the aggressive flow of time, and what can be held in spite of it. To that end I would say it falters a bit, but isn't unsuccessful.

“You can hide memories, but you can't erase the history that produced them.”

tl;dr; a weird book, uneven, questionable female characters, good use of music, cozy scenes, memorable and good overall but there's a few nails your enjoyment could get snagged on. Also very weird sex, don't think I mentioned that.

=

Man, this took me a while, didn't it? I'll be tearing through some <200 page books next just to get my number up. This review took a lot longer than I expected as well.

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-18 22:37:47

January:
1. Go Ask Alice
2. The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

February:
3. You Are a Badass: How to stop doubting your greatness and start living an awesome life
4. Where the Wild Moms Are
5. Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation
6. New Summer

March:
7. Playground - 50 Cent
8. Love That Dog - Sharon Creech
9. Classic American Love Poems
10. The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events #6)
11. Please Ignore Vera Deitz

April:
12. Such a Pretty Girl

BBS Signature

At 4/18/17 08:15 PM, Jackho wrote: Book #1: The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage, by Haruki Murakami (298 pages)
Man, this took me a while, didn't it? I'll be tearing through some <200 page books next just to get my number up. This review took a lot longer than I expected as well.

First of all, fantastic review and congrats on your first book. If you are into books that are similiar (exploring the mind, showcasing effects of mental illnesses and how it affects social interaction and perception of reality and being lost in a rapidly changing society) and are also on the short side, then Der Steppenwolf from Hesse and Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Martian Time-slip from Philip K. Dick fit the bill pretty well.

You sold me on this one and it is available in german, so I'll probably read it later this year, the three books from Philip K. Dick were quite a trip though so for now I'll read stuff that is a bit more on the straight-forward side of things.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Finished another book:

60. Drohnenland, Tom Hillenbrand, 423 pages

Drohnenland (translates to Drone state/country):

Plays roughly 20 years in the future. State drones control huge parts of the public life, countless information, ranging from hobbies, which restaurants you visitc, etc is stored in databases. Those databases are used to create an interactive VR-overlay-world called mirror space. Aaart van der Westerhuizen is a cop and has to solve the murder of the politician Paazi. Soon he finds out that the mirror space data has been manipulated to hide the true murderer. What unfolds is a series of betrayal and corruption.

Average book, writing is just subpar, tons of short sentences, bad attempts at humour in not funny situations, no feeling of danger even when the main character is surrounded by enemies, whole thing reads like a bored diary entry.

The premise is nice but I found the story largely predictable, the characters are also all pretty flat. My perception of this book is further worsened by having read Unsterblich by Jens Lubbadeh earlier this year, similiar premise but much better story and writing.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-19 22:23:34

4 more. Once you start reading hard books, the less intimidating ones come as a breeze.

Where the Red Fern Grows --Wilson Rawls (Now I know why everyone says not to read the ending of that book)
Blue Willow --Doris Gates
The Stranger --Albert Camus (I feel like I've been reading about a lot of books from the viewpoint of a murderer lately)
I am the Cheese --Robert Cormier (Not my type of book. The ending is horrifically depressing)

~ZaBrina Q.

Done reading this book:

61. Dark Zero (The Kraken Project), Douglas Preston, 475 pages

The Kraken Project:

Dr. Melissa Shepherd is a member of a team of scientists, they plan to send a spacecraft to Titan, the largest moon of the planet Saturn. For that goal she programmed a new A.I. called Dorothy. Unlike other A.I., Dorothy is able to learn and change itself (her source code for example) to adapt and act independently. The test simulation goes horribly wrong and 7 scientists die, while the A.I. Dorothy manages to upload itself to the internet and flee.

Melissa Shepherd survives and runs away from the FBI to find and capture Dorothy, who threatened to kill her via a Skype call on her Laptop and then overheating the laptop and burning it.

Lansing is a Wallstreet banker, with the help of an algorithm program written by his business partner Eric Moro, they manage to gain profits from buying and selling stocks. A better algorithm program lures them into losing 500 million dollars within minutes. Lansing is very angry and wants to find the people behind the program and in the process is turning out to be a complete psychopath.

Jacob is 14 years old. Due to a car accident, his left leg is heavily damaged, leaving him incapable of ever surfing again. His dad tries to cheer him up by building a robot called Charlie for him.

Those stories mold together as the book progresses and build a thrilling, emotional and philosophical journey.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Finished these two books:

62. Von Zeit zu Zeit (Time and again), Jack Finney, 515 pages
63. Im Strom der Zeit (From time to time), Jack Finney, 362 pages

Time and again and its direct sequel From time to time are both Time Travel stories. A secret government organisation wants to develop time travel, their approach is unique: the basic idea is that our perception of time is built by our surroundings, stuff like current technology, newspapers, etc. In a huge project, they rebuilt parts of past cities, then add actors with the right clothing, etc. Then select participants try to convince themselves via self-hypnosis that they are in the portrayed year, if it works, they actually travel back in time.

Graphics designer Simon Morley is one of those people and he succeeds, what follows is him documenting the past, 1882 in the first book and 1912 in the second one. Books are filled with tons of historically correct information about these times and features some photographs of that time to make it more authentic.

One thought that Morley has throughout the books is that the people of those times seem to be more authentic and generally more hopeful towards the future, he sees the people of his time more bleak and just going along with daily business largely without any enthusiasm.

Loved these books. It's almost like I myself travelled back in time and was allowed to see how people lived in New York in those times, what they thought and how their mentality was.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Done reading this book:

64. Farm der Tiere (Animal Farm: A Fairy Story), George Orwell, 133 pages

Animal Farm: A Fairy Story:

The animals on Manor Farm are being treated badly. One day, they decide to revolt against their owner. The pig Old Major leads them at first and teaches the other farm animals the Seven Commandments of Animalism. After his death, the two pigs Snowball and Napoleon lead the other animals. At first everything gets well organised, milking the cows, work on the field, etc. Slowly though the pigs, especially Napoleon, get more advantages, justified by them being the smart leaders and thus needing more resources. From then stuff gets worse and worse, Snowball gets banned from the farm and then is used as propaganda reason for anything bad happening on the farm. It all culminates in an ending that left me speechless.

Fantastic book and a must read. The book makes the claim that any revolution just ends up in the ones who lead the revolution turning into the next, likely even worse rulers and I feel inclined to agree. Unquestioned, uncriticised authority (no matter if the criticism is right or wrong) leads to an absolute hell, where common people slit each others throat while the king(s) sit on the blood throne.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Finished another book:

65. Schöne neue Welt (Brave New World), Aldous Huxley, 253 pages

Brave New World plays roughly 600 years in the future. Everyone is happy, guaranteed. People are produced in incubators, with some chemical process they are divided into alpha, beta, down to epsilon classes, each class has a set of jobs that they fulfill for their full life. New borns are kept in cages and are indoctrinated with social behaviour rules while they sleep. Babies are trained via electric shocks to associate books with pain, thus avoiding them forever.

Society lives in a state of insant gratification, Soma pills are a drug that makes you instantly happy and have presumably no downsides unlike other drugs. People have no families and relationships for the most part don't exist and are heavily discouraged, instead they are told, starting from childhood, to just live out their sexual needs.

Good book. I found the first ~50 pages the most captivating, the all compassing emotion and thought control scheme is presented in an eerie but also morbidly fascinating manner.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-26 15:54:04

Finished the next one:

Wittgenstein's Mistress (in german "Wittgensteins Mätresse)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein%27s_Mistress

A beautiful story about Kate (an artist) who tells you an insane story about her behaviour in an endtime fantasy kind of sci-fi earth scenario. I don't want to spoiler so that is all i will tell you about the act. The book is a fantastic journey into the human mind and at the same time an utopian puzzle from a brilliant ambiable woman. Absolutely recommended.

66. Die unheimliche Biblothek (The Strange Library) ((Fushigi Na Toshokan)), Haruki Murakami, 63 pages
67. Afterdark (After Dark) ((Afutā dāku)), Haruki Murakami, 237 pages

The Strange Library:

A young boy wants to bring back to two books to the library. He also wants to get some books about the tax system in the Ottoman Empire. In the process, he gets imprisoned by an old librarian, deep within the labyrinth under the library. He gets forced to read the three books about the Ottoman Empire; before he doesn't know them fully, he can't leave, the old man claims.

The sheep man, the servant of the librarian and masterful baker of doughnuts, tells the boy that in reality his head will get chopped off and his brain sucked out after a month passes. A mysterious girl, taking the same place as the sheep man, wants to help the boy escaping.

Deals with fear of loneliness, unavoidable loss and materialism. Athmosphere wise, it's similiar to Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

Good short story. Picked it up to get into Murakami's writing style and because I happened to bring back two books back to the library. Thankfully I didn't end up getting imprisoned, and more importantly, forced to read books about the tax system of the Ottoman Empire.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

After Dark:

It is night in Japan, a haze of melancholy lies above everything. We see what happens in that night to the 19 year old Mari and her beautiful sister Eri, the trombone player Takahasi and a man who beat up a prostitute in a love hotel. As invisible suspectors, we are allowed to witness conversations between the characters of the book and get a glimpse of what happened to Eri, who on the surface, seems to sleep endlessly.

As the night progresses and the next day gets closer, the characters stories get intertwined.

Beautiful book. Themes include perception of time, value and dread of memories, the nature of criminal behaviour and how we see ourselves (good and bad) varies heavily from how others see and appreciate us. Story is told in a wonderful usage of words, even the songs that play at various points and their titles have a connection to what happens.

Heavily recommended.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-30 17:13:45

At 4/19/17 01:36 AM, Asandir wrote: If you are into books that are similiar (exploring the mind, showcasing effects of mental illnesses and how it affects social interaction and perception of reality and being lost in a rapidly changing society) and are also on the short side, then Der Steppenwolf from Hesse and Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Martian Time-slip from Philip K. Dick fit the bill pretty well.

Well, thanks. Steppenwolf and Do Androids Dream are already on my list to get to, but I haven't heard of the other two and been meaning to read more Philip K. Dick (I think I've only read a few of his short stories), so good recommendation.

Have you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I'll assume you have, but if not I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it's probably my most longstanding favourite book. Some of the funniest stuff ever written coupled with occasionally fairly heady sci-fi. It's sort of like Rick and Morty actually.

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-30 22:09:54

At 4/30/17 05:13 PM, Jackho wrote: Monthly post coming up tomorrow, get your updates in if you haven't yet.

Unfortunately the last few books I tried to read turned out to be duds. I'm hoping to make it through a few good ones next month.

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-04-30 22:33:51

I'm currently still working on Blitzed, but I got a few new ones I've read through

Shipwrecks of lake erie vol II

Do zombies dream of undead sheep

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 01:49:32

At 4/30/17 05:27 PM, Jackho wrote:
Have you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I'll assume you have, but if not I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it's probably my most longstanding favourite book. Some of the funniest stuff ever written coupled with occasionally fairly heady sci-fi. It's sort of like Rick and Morty actually.

I actually haven't read them, yet. They (as in, 4 books of the series) have been re-released last month in Germany though and I'll likely pick them up for my personal library.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 08:27:43

3 more

All Quiet on the Western Front --Erich Maria Remarque
Cry, the Beloved Country --Alan Paton
The Battle for the Atlantic --Jay Williams

~ZaBrina Q.

One more book:

68.Der Circle (The Circle), Dave Eggers, 558 pages

The Circle:

"SECRETS ARE LIES
SHARING IS CARING
PRIVACY IS THEFT”

Mae, a young woman in her mid-twenties, has a horrible job. Thankfully, with the help of her best friend Annie, she starts her new job in the company The Circle.The Circle is basically a super fusion of all search engines, Facebook and payment sites and is constantly increasing the stuff it offers, all brought together in one mega-account called TruYou.

As time progresses,The Circle introduces new programs like SeeChange, portable mini-cameras that are cheap and are aimed for a global usage, thus making all public life constantly filmed. The Circle wants to make everyone and everything completely transparent, if they want to or not.

Mae, thanks to some of her great ideas, gains more power in the company. Soon she meets the mysterious, untrack-able Kalden, whose plans and identity are a mystery.

Decent book. Shows pretty well where obsesssion with making every part of everyone's life public can lead. Fascinating and also scary how we could get a scenario like in the book in probably less than 10 years from now. One thing that is negative is how one-dimensional the characters are, especially the main character is almost like a robot, unable to change or even re-think any of her views.

Recommended, especially if you like books like 1984 and Brave New World.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 11:27:45

Volumes 5,6,7 of th Gulag Archipelago are all I've gotten through for April, I'm about 300 pages in to a book by Carl Jung that I'll finish in the next day or two.

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 13:30:55

READING CHALLENGE ROLL CALL - APRIL

Username - Progress for March - Total Progress Toward Goal
@Alias - 1 read this month - 11 out of 30 |
@Asandir - 19 read this month - 49 out of 25 |
@Bit - 0 read this month - 2 out of 20 |
@Dean - 0 read this month - 4 out of 10 |
@Dr-Worm - 1 read this month - 3 our of 25 |
@FinaLee - 0 this month - 1 out of 25 |
@Ganon-Dorf - 1 read this month - 8 out of 24 |
@Hoodie - 0 DUNEs read - 0 out of DUNE |
@Jackho - 1 read this month - 1 out of 25 |
@Jurornumber3 - 0 read this month - [No Goal] |
@Mrccbirdguy - 2 read this month - 7 out of 20 |
@RightTime - 0 read this month - 2 out of 26 |
@Sensationalism - 0 read this month - 7 out of 12 |
@Sciencefreako - 12 read this month - 26 out of 50 |
@TheQuietGamer - 1 read this month - [No Goal] |
15 Users - 39 read this month - 153 out of 293 |

Top Readers
1. @Asandir (17)
2. @Sciencefreako (5)
3. @Mrccbirdguy and @TheQuietGamer (2)

Drive-by Readers
@ZJ with Ready Player One

@Alias @Dean @Ganon-Dorf @Mrccbirdguy @Sensationalism @Sciencefreako and of course @Asandir are still on track.

We could do with an update from @Bit and @FinaLee

I've probably fucked something up so go ahead and point out what it is.

-

@BlackerTheBerry - 1 this month(?) - 3 out of 25(?) |
You're not in the pic/totals simply because I'm not totally sure where your progress is at, you bring up different books every post but don't clarify if you've finished the old ones or anything else, lol.

@MistyWaterflower - I'll add you when/if you post more books, don't want to mess up the totals too much.

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 16:39:00

@BlackerTheBerry - 1 this month(?) - 3 out of 25(?) |
You're not in the pic/totals simply because I'm not totally sure where your progress is at, you bring up different books every post but don't clarify if you've finished the old ones or anything else, lol.

Ouh hell, i'm sorry. I'm only posting the books i have finished. I am not mentioning any books i read right now, only the one's im through. Sorry if i din't point that out. And yeah i'm very slow :/ that sucks, but well... I am trying ^~^, my time management is obv. shit

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-01 21:29:09

I'll be finishing a book on Golden Ratio design tonight most likely, I'll post when I complete it.

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-02 01:49:27

Finished Geometry of Design by Kimberly Elam. The book just looks at ways of ordering visual and functional design of objects, mostly focusing on the Golden Ratio and Fibonacci sequence, but it does apply Rabatment and Diagonal Centers which don't strictly follow the Golden Ratio.

Wasn't a long read as it had lots of pictures with grids and rectangles drawn on them accompanied by some explaining text on the sides.

Next I'm going to read Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises. I'll be reading it concurrent with the book I've bee picking through by Carl Jung, that subject matter is really heavy and I require lots of time to think and reflect on it as I read 20 pages or so.

BBS Signature

Finished these four books:

69. 2001:Odyssee im Weltraum (2001:A Space Odyssey), Arthur C. Clarke, 221 pages
70. 2010:Odyssee II (2010:Odyssey Two), Arthur C. Clarke, 299 pages
71. 2061:Odyssee III (2061:Odyssey Three), Arthur C. Clarke 245 pages
72. 3001:Die letzte Odyssee (3001:The Final Odyssey), Arthur C. Clarke, 211 pages

2001:A Space Odyssey:

Starts 3 million years ago, when ape-men discover a strange monolith. The monolith seems to be some kind of device and enhances the brains of the ape-men, making them able to use tools and thus start the process towards becoming human beings in the far away future. 2001, that same structure is found buried on the Moon.

Then it tells us about Dr. David Bowman and Dr. Francis Poole, who are sent out via a spaceship, the Discovery, to travel to Jupiter. They are being supported by the board computer HAL 9000. From then, shit hits the fan and Bowman has to fight for his survival.

Good book. It goes into great lengths to describe the planets and technologies used for space travel (different from for expample, Asimov novels, which concentrate more on human power plays and use a futuristic setting more as a background).

Personally I lean more towards the Asimov-like narrative but Clarke, with his vivid, and for the most part scientifically accurate description of planets and stars, etc. manages to invoke a feeling of wonder and interest in exploring the depths of space.

The next books are all sequels, so I won't go into much detail, still refrain from reading further if you want to avoid spoilers.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

2010:Odyssey Two:

Another spaceship is sent out to bring back the Discovery and reprogram HAL 9000, the main character Dr. Floyd being one of the members. Another spaceship from China explores the moon Europa and finds plant-like sentient lifeforms there. Also, a gigantic version of the Moon monolith is now on Jupiter. Also explains what happened to Dr. David Bowman from the first book.

Liked this one a bit more than the first book, since it explains more of the weird things of the first one and features a larger amount of characters and their interactions, balancing out the descriptions of the moons Europa and Io and their environment.

2061:Odyssey Three:

Jupiter has imploded and is now a sun, thus deleting the day-night cycle of earth. Dr. Floyd is 103 years old, he ages more slowly due to living on a spaceship. He, with some space tourists, visit a comet called Hayley. From there, they start a mission to save another spaceship with Floyd's grandson on it from the moon Europa, a mission, that thanks to the new atomic engines, takes much less time than 50 years ago.

Also sheds some more light on the mystery behind the monoliths, Europa and Dr. David Bowman.

Decent book.

3001:The Final Odyssey:

Dr. Francis Poole lifeless body is found in space. Thanks to modern medicine, he gets revived, basically turning this novel into a time traveller story. Most people don't live on earth anymore, instead in huge towers grounded on earth and reaching into space. First section deals with the advancements humanity has made in that timefrime and how Poole adjusts to it. Soon enough, Dr. David Bowman, whose "mind" by now has more or less fused with HAL, has a devastating message for humanity.

Liked this book the most out of the four, most likely because it deals with time travel and is somewhat the futuristic version of the Jack Finney novels I read recently.

I recommend them and think they are a good starting point to get into Science Fiction, though the brilliant Neuromancer trilogy from William Gibson might be better for that.

Tuturu~ ♫

BBS Signature

At 5/1/17 01:30 PM, Jackho wrote: We could do with an update from @Bit and @FinaLee

Sure. Need to up my book game if I want to be on track to finish this, but:

1. "Daring Greatly" by Brené Brown.

Great read if you're a person who is prone to risk-aversion, or just have trouble putting yourself "out there," for lack of a better term. Making yourself vulnerable can be a great thing, and I do not think that most people do it as much as they should.

2. "The ABC's of Political Economy" by Robin Hahnel

Game theory, psychology, and models. Oh my! For many people, their understanding of how our economic system works does not extend beyond a few buzzphrases like "the market" and "supply and demand." If you want to get a fundamental lesson on our economic system without taking the first two introductory economic courses in school (which is about the depth of this text, with a few advanced concepts), this book can help accomplish that. Easily digestible read.

I'm still currently reading several books at once, and I should be able to finish a bunch of them by the end of the month.

What else? Oh yeah, @Asandir is an alien.

Ok bye.

BBS Signature

Response to ★ Reading Challenge 2017 ★ 2017-05-05 13:44:28

I finished another book today. Called "The catcher in the rye" by J.D. Salinger. I guess everybody knows it so i woen't explain it in detail. I totally recommend the book especially to teenagers or people 16+ who are not so comfortable with their life/environment and don't know what do do with their existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye

@Jackho 4/25 right now. I know i'm too slow to reach my target :/. But i try my best. just for your list so you can update next month.