00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nardballs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting

3,916 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 05:50:51

I know, I fucked my mixing up. Really pressed for time and ideas, as you might gather from the file name, it was my second attempt for round 1, so yeah... I will do better in round 2, I promise!

BBS Signature

At 11/20/15 02:59 AM, SkyeWint wrote:
Track 8: Jungle Brawlers | @PeterSatera

Good points:
-Very nice percussion throughout - much appreciated! The feature at 1:20 is also very good.
-That distorted sound at 1:05 is very, very nice. I'm mildly curious about where you got it from.
-I really like the guitar solo at 2:25, though I feel it could have been humanized a little bit more.
-That section around 2:55 was excellent. I would have loved to hear it extended a little bit more or placed in more than the one section - this would have done really well taking turns with the guitar soloing.

Not-so-good points:
-Peter, man... it feels like you definitely suffered from the lack of your strings and horns in this piece. It seems like the normal organization of your music suffered from this primarily in the escalation of drama. The drums were placed appropriately, as was the initial melody, but then around 0:50 and 1:07 it feels like you very much wanted to use strings or horns for additional dramatic flair in it.
-I actually find it mildly interesting - you used quite a bit of percussion here, and it started burying the piano and guitar, especially around 1:40. This also occurs towards the end at around 3:20, where everything peaks.
-The use of percussion in place of the normal strings/horns also becomes apparent in that the percussion rarely lets up, even for a few seconds - it's a constant aspect of the piece, and stays fairly intense even in the lighter portions.

Overall: Classic Peter right here - very powerful-sounding, and heavy-hitting. It definitely fits the title of "Jungle Brawlers" (though perhaps a bit more dramatic than the title suggests). Well-deserving of the joint 3rd-place.

Thank you very much for your feedback (and everyone else too). I really appreciate it.

You're completely spot on Skye! I found my impulsive creating showed my flaws and it became nothing more than a percussion splat. You're completely right about my dependency on the other parts of the orchestra, and massively on my synths, etc. I felt completely naked without them, and idiotically never did enough research into jungle music. But I loved the contest for that reason, I loved how it forced me to think about these things, and brought weaknesses to the forefront. It showed me a lot. I unfortunately had to push this back as my machine was rendering for nearly 2 weeks, but that wasn't a bad thing, because it showed me that my dependency on a lot of time and my usual traits were my downfall. Once I made it, it just sounded spanish to me, and then when I heard the rest of the entries, I was kicking myself haha.

The tracks submitted were excellent. Some of them even though unfitting to the theme were superb! Hope to see everyone back for round 2.

At 11/20/15 05:50 AM, Septyrikon wrote: I know, I fucked my mixing up. Really pressed for time and ideas, as you might gather from the file name, it was my second attempt for round 1, so yeah... I will do better in round 2, I promise!

I think that is the aim of this contest, to isolate the areas where we are weak so we can further challenge ourselves and improve. So now that you know where your weakness lies, you and all of us too can challenge that head on to improve. :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 06:44:35

At 11/20/15 06:40 AM, PeterSatera wrote: I think that is the aim of this contest, to isolate the areas where we are weak so we can further challenge ourselves and improve. So now that you know where your weakness lies, you and all of us too can challenge that head on to improve. :)

Well, yes. But it was a downright mistake, I don't usually overblow my track so bad :D Tried something and it didn't pan out in the end. Stupid, but yeah there you go.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 10:15:06

I could see why many of you missed the jungle theme in my piece - I somehow was dong experiments a bit since I had to somehow find a way to make it fit - somehow things did not go so well for me, I kind expected people to think it through a little more than I thought...

Interesting fact is that if you strip the chords off and place the melody in the same octave (if the notes don't wander down there naturally, let it naturally move as well), you would get one melody. I simply passed it between bass and treble a lot... even in the measure of straight up chords...

And for help so I could make a stand for round II, anyone know how to get the soundfront into FL studio? That would be helpful...

Now, I will admit some pieces other than mine also had some drawbacks... some of which were instant killers, either in theme or were simply not that convincing. I judged not in instrumentation, I could care less about what instruments you used, and sound mixing really did not play much into it either (I don't even have the best equipment around... and this soundfront player might be helpful.)

The reason I named the piece the way I did was I somehow was lacking names... I also saw many of you say about cluster of notes, &c. - did you guys think there may have been something with that? Does that cluster relate to some characteristic in a jungle?

@SkyeWint those comments were helpful... thinking I probably should have put on that fortissimo mark (I could have gone louder there, but I could not change dynamics - major drawback and a half since I could only use sheer composition to get things moving)

Track I - I saw you had ideas, but I was not very convinced that I was either going into a Jungle or relating to some of it's characteristics

Track II - Very good getting in the theme, however, I have to say it, if I hear a bass line, It better be a good bass line, and sadly the bass line kind of wiped you out with that one...

Track IV - You had good material, however, some really off with you key changes here - they made little sense and distorted the intentions of your piece. I was also very close for calling it out for vocals, though I was unsure whether they were vocals or not (vocals are considered an instrument of infinite sustain).

Track V - Pretty well played overall, did see some errors where you were not quite as convincing... and frankly, you might wish to go in and see how you would be more immersive to the listeners than you were.

Track VI - Solid piece, was convincing, did not have many of the errors other pieces had, was immersive, it needed that push of extra immersion and some more variety to better immerse your listeners.

Track VII - Overall a solid piece, could have been way more immersive however, as it felt dry, but still much better than many other pieces.

Track VIII - Very well done until you managed to fall apart on yourself with a half - like cadence at the end - half cadences are among the biggest sins in ending a song.

Track IX - Not only was it not very well done from the git go, it also made the same mistake as track VIII with the half - like cadence at the end, which can cause an otherwise good piece to fall apart.

Track X - I did not feel like I was in a jungle there, and not only that it was also not that good like track IX (though you at least did not commit the third trouble with final cadences...)

Track XI - Not only was it too short to be immersive, because of it's length it could not build up enough immersion to be convincing that I was in a jungle.

Track XII - Very well played. Not only did you have superb composition, it was also the most convincing piece. And your lucky someone did not call you out directly with it on the piano pedals (that is a type of infinite sustain). Outside of being pushy to the challenge it was the best piece by far.

There you have it guys. Hopefully I did not miss anything that had not yet been said about those pieces...

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 13:44:28

At 11/20/15 06:40 AM, PeterSatera wrote: percussion splat.

ok, I have no reason specifically to quote this aside from it being really really hilarious to me whenever I read it.

I think that is the aim of this contest, to isolate the areas where we are weak so we can further challenge ourselves and improve. So now that you know where your weakness lies, you and all of us too can challenge that head on to improve. :)

Bingo! That's exactly what this is about - pushing you out of your comfort zone and making you try something different. With more unique experiences, challenging yourself to go out of your norm, you can evolve as an artist and learn some new tricks to use in the future. Notice that it's the people who really pushed themselves to try something unique and different who got three of the top four spots! (...sorry, Peter, I think you didn't quite push yourself this round - but in round 2, it'll be a bit hard to avoid <3)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 13:55:14

At 11/20/15 10:15 AM, Chris354 wrote: And for help so I could make a stand for round II, anyone know how to get the soundfront into FL studio? That would be helpful...

Ah, yes! You can use the Fruity Soundfont Player or other free soundfont players like the one from DSK. (look them up if you need it)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-20 18:52:15

At 11/20/15 01:44 PM, SkyeWint wrote: Notice that it's the people who really pushed themselves to try something unique and different who got three of the top four spots! (...sorry, Peter, I think you didn't quite push yourself this round - but in round 2, it'll be a bit hard to avoid <3)

Yeah, you're absolute right. Time to set up a template!

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-21 00:58:07

FINALLY I can be honest about my overall opinion on this round.

I really didn't like what mostof you did. Like I really didn't. So many themes were so... recycled. As a musician and composer in training, that is quite disappointing to hear themes that you would expect. When I'm listening through something, and I can very easily anticipatelike exactly where the piece is going before it gets there, it just bored me to the extreme unfortunately.

I'm happy to be participating, so I'll guess that we will see what the next round holds. But my word... Jungle here and jungle there. I felt a lot more than "jungle" after observing the artwork and I wish that more people tapped into that, but that is just me I guess. Well it's not really just me, it's just jazz guys I guess who get bored with (normal) music :P

Anyway, no hard feelings at all but I really hope that you guys can try to break the ground with the next round!

Out! ;)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-21 06:00:58

At 11/21/15 12:58 AM, frootza wrote: FINALLY I can be honest about my overall opinion on this round.

I really didn't like what mostof you did. Like I really didn't. So many themes were so... recycled. As a musician and composer in training, that is quite disappointing to hear themes that you would expect. When I'm listening through something, and I can very easily anticipatelike exactly where the piece is going before it gets there, it just bored me to the extreme unfortunately.

I'm happy to be participating, so I'll guess that we will see what the next round holds. But my word... Jungle here and jungle there. I felt a lot more than "jungle" after observing the artwork and I wish that more people tapped into that, but that is just me I guess. Well it's not really just me, it's just jazz guys I guess who get bored with (normal) music :P

Anyway, no hard feelings at all but I really hope that you guys can try to break the ground with the next round!

Out! ;)

Remember. Most music is based in repetition, anticipating what is coming can be very rewarding when it arrives. When you listen to a song you have tend to wait on the chorus for instance. Most of us aren't receiving audio training either, we're here for hobbies and to naturally grow, it's newgrounds. Don't get me wrong, I'd jump at the chance to do it as a night course, I've been even looking into theory courses too I can do one day a week after Sam's suggestions. But most of us work or are in another form of education. The fact is we're still trying to mold ourselves to today's standards, before breaking the mold itself.

When I think jungle, I actually think tranquillity. Woodwinds and auras, but with short notes only it pretty much conformed people to go quick paced, yourself included. So don't be too hard on folk. We're all learning still.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-21 11:34:19

At 11/21/15 06:00 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 11/21/15 12:58 AM, frootza wrote:
Remember. Most music is based in repetition, anticipating what is coming can be very rewarding when it arrives. When you listen to a song you have tend to wait on the chorus for instance. Most of us aren't receiving audio training either, we're here for hobbies and to naturally grow, it's newgrounds. Don't get me wrong, I'd jump at the chance to do it as a night course, I've been even looking into theory courses too I can do one day a week after Sam's suggestions. But most of us work or are in another form of education. The fact is we're still trying to mold ourselves to today's standards, before breaking the mold itself.

When I think jungle, I actually think tranquillity. Woodwinds and auras, but with short notes only it pretty much conformed people to go quick paced, yourself included. So don't be too hard on folk. We're all learning still.

SHUT UP PETE YOU DON'T KNOW NOTHIN!

Ahahaha I'm kidding dude. I wasn't sure how many people would take my post seriously because a lot of people were doing some crazy good mixing techniques that I have no freaking idea how to do yet, among other really great things in terms of composition etc. I mean you really have no idea what people are going to come up with in contests like this but I definitely find this particular contest to be really fun to play with.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-22 09:10:20

At 11/21/15 11:34 AM, frootza wrote: SHUT UP PETE YOU DON'T KNOW NOTHIN!

lol

Ahahaha I'm kidding dude. I wasn't sure how many people would take my post seriously because a lot of people were doing some crazy good mixing techniques that I have no freaking idea how to do yet, among other really great things in terms of composition etc. I mean you really have no idea what people are going to come up with in contests like this but I definitely find this particular contest to be really fun to play with.

yeah I agree. there was a lot of great tracks that had stuff i didnt even think about. Im sure in the next round we'll have a bit more diversity due to the theme.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-22 11:56:45

At 11/21/15 12:58 AM, frootza wrote: I really didn't like what most of you did. Like I really didn't...
...composer in training, that is quite disappointing to hear themes that you would expect...
...I can very easily anticipate like exactly where the piece is going before it gets there...
...it just bored me to the extreme unfortunately.
...it's just jazz guys I guess who get bored with (normal) music :P
Anyway, no hard feelings...

Highlight reel.

Well that's not fair for the other contestants at all. Peter said most of it; lots of people here have other lives, other career choices, and other important things to worry about, so it's impressive for them to put as much effort as they do into these contests in the first place, especially considering the limited time given to work. I often commend those people more than those who chose to pursue music fully because you get condescending comments like this from musicians even when you're sitting right next to them learning in the same classroom. Though some of the tracks were questionable, I certainly wasn't bored listening to any of them, and I'm also a composer in training so...you shouldn't pour all that hard stuff out and then try to pass it off with 'no hard feelings' because I felt slightly offended.

*calls Homeland Security with credit card ready*

At 11/21/15 06:00 AM, PeterSatera wrote: I'd jump at the chance to do it as a night course, I've been even looking into theory courses too

Have you not done theory?
*opens your portfolio and clicks pen*

BBS Signature

At 11/22/15 11:56 AM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 11/21/15 06:00 AM, PeterSatera wrote: I'd jump at the chance to do it as a night course, I've been even looking into theory courses too
Have you not done theory?
*opens your portfolio and clicks pen*

Haha!! Yeah, I appreciate that those learned musicians can hear primitive elements, but I agree. It's a light hearted competition driven by passion for audio.So we shouldn't read too much into it.

Life commitments get in the way for sure. So much this has been the only track I made for newgrounds in 2015. shocking..but that's how pressed for time we can be to do this.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-22 15:19:00

At 11/22/15 03:09 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Life commitments get in the way for sure. So much this has been the only track I made for newgrounds in 2015. shocking..but that's how pressed for time we can be to do this.

That is very interesting because I did recount your latest song here and then noticed it was from last year...

*writes*

BBS Signature

At 11/22/15 11:56 AM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 11/21/15 12:58 AM, frootza wrote:
you shouldn't pour all that hard stuff out and then try to pass it off with 'no hard feelings' because I felt slightly offended.
Where else am I supposed to pour it though!

Hey baby, I would never steer you wrong ;)

Don't be offended Zip, you are a legitimate wizard at what you do, and you DAMN WELL know it. I'm just one man experimenting with how people react sociologically to different mental stimuli.

It's only the internet, and you really slayed Zip so sincerely, do not sweat it, you are the man, and I mean it! :)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-22 23:42:22

At 11/22/15 10:08 PM, frootza wrote: It's only the internet

And it's so easy to be influenced by it.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-23 11:58:41

At 11/22/15 11:42 PM, ZipZipper wrote:

Somewhat relevant. ;)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-23 15:53:42

At 11/23/15 11:58 AM, frootza wrote:
Somewhat relevant. ;)

Yeah that one was Hollywood's fault. At least they tried.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-24 21:12:49

At 11/23/15 03:53 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 11/23/15 11:58 AM, frootza wrote:
Somewhat relevant. ;)
Yeah that one was Hollywood's fault. At least they tried.

Quit being weird, m'kay? Cool man, thanks.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-24 21:44:19

At 11/24/15 09:12 PM, frootza wrote: Quit being weird, m'kay? Cool man, thanks.

I enjoyed this whatever this was.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-25 16:55:46

At 11/24/15 09:44 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 11/24/15 09:12 PM, frootza wrote: Quit being weird, m'kay? Cool man, thanks.
I enjoyed this whatever this was.

Me too brother! It was kind of fun!

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-25 17:46:49

You know what we're all waiting for...

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT '15 - Round 1 Voting 2015-11-26 14:16:14

At 11/25/15 05:46 PM, PeterSatera wrote: You know what we're all waiting for...

This slowly evolved into SUCH a romantic thread.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature