00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Life and Death of Flash (VICE)

15,547 Views | 67 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 07:56:40

At 10/20/15 08:14 PM, Viper wrote:
At 10/20/15 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Then there are people who can't get their mouths off Steve Jobs' rotting dick.
Wow. Did not think I'd live to see the day where you'd say something like that. Good for you.

It's a 100% accurate description of a subset of our society.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 08:11:08

At 10/20/15 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Then there are people who can't get their mouths off Steve Jobs' rotting dick.

This whole post was worth reading for this one single comment. Holy fuck.

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 09:57:51

Just when i am starting to learn Flash, it ends. I hope Newgrounds will support Flash till at least 2017, so i can show my things too. Developing animations with HTML 5 is a whole other thing. It's like i am starting school again.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 10:31:39

At 10/20/15 05:10 PM, Zanzlanz wrote:
Firefox confirmed that they will get rid of all NPAPI plugins, during 2016.
They said they will continue to work with Adobe to keep Flash working on their browser.

I really hope so. Since Mozilla Firefox Version 41 I have a lot of issues with Flash, even had to reinstall it, clean the whole cache, change some settings... Maybe the next updates will fix this, I will rather leave Mozilla behind then NG!

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 10:53:39

It's pretty sad how this is right above the thread about XGen dying. I guess Flash died with him. There's just too many tragedies out there.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 11:27:56

Long live NG! I tell every artist I meet about it.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 12:38:42

For the animator, at least, I wouldn't be too hard pressed about it. There are a plethora of software for both FBF and Tween-based animation that is within price range or free (TVPaint, ToonBoom, Cacani, Synfig, etc). I've personally always exported my SWF files and composited them in another program to render as an MP4/ AVI/ etc. The software is simply a tool for the animator. For the programmer, I would assume that backwards compatibility would be why people still create Flash games. I haven't done a lot of object-oriented coding, and primarily use code like Ruby, HTML, CSS and frameworks for web development/ UI UX stuff, so I don't know that much about it. I still might not touch actionscript and look towards Javascript and/or Swift. Mobile compatibility would be one of my concerns with Flash if I ventured towards making Flash games.

Animate or go home

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 12:48:49

At 10/21/15 09:57 AM, bolisa wrote: Just when i am starting to learn Flash, it ends. I hope Newgrounds will support Flash till at least 2017, so i can show my things too. Developing animations with HTML 5 is a whole other thing. It's like i am starting school again.

You will never have to use HTML5 to make animations. You could spend the rest of your life making quality animation with the existing Flash tools if you wanted to.

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 13:00:46

When browsers stop supporting Flash, it indeed will die. But that being said, I can not support browsers which do not support Flash.

What is the installement base of Unity? I think, Flash will live on just a little longer.

Either way, Tom, you earned a special place and the article is very much in favour of Newgrounds. And rightfully so!

Flash: What the Web could be. Newgrounds: What we all made out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 15:18:52

Flash movies aren't really much of a problem thanks to swivel but flash games are definitely in trouble which is a shame because there some some unforgettable classics that we may never get the chance to play again.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 15:49:47

Hey Tom. Thanks for makin' that there button up there. I thought it was a great idea when I first saw it and have already used it.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 16:06:45

At 10/20/15 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/20/15 01:21 PM, TheMAM wrote:
Then there are people who can't get their mouths off Steve Jobs' rotting dick.

Well Said, well said.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 16:21:38

Regardless of any excuse provided, cutting off flash renders a massive percentage of the internet's current content inaccessible. Pretty shitty shit.

It's quite literally the "easy way out" of fixing something that wasn't optimized properly in the first place. Either way, Newgrounds isn't going anywhere, the community is still strong with or without flash.

r-right?

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 16:22:25

Thanks for the article. Feeling as part of what was happening back then, I shed a tear. But then the article is right about Flash not being dead in the certain hands - I still do most of my animation work in Flash, and now am crazy enough to keep developing a modern game in Flash! Love it, hate it, it dies hard.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 16:44:46

At 10/21/15 04:21 PM, Carrion wrote: It's quite literally the "easy way out" of fixing something that wasn't optimized properly in the first place. Either way, Newgrounds isn't going anywhere, the community is still strong with or without flash.

r-right?

If Flash support was dropped we would take a major hit in terms of tons of content being unavailable... As long as cool new content keeps coming, we'd be able to get over that hump. I definitely want to be able to sponsor a lot more regular exclusive content, though.

That's a plan we're working on now... A monthly supporter subscription where you can pay what you want (minimum $3) per month to be a supporter. The goal is to use supporter money to sponsor more original content each month, with the option to also give supporters one week of exclusive access like we tried with Phonotopia last year.

The other big positive about a monthly subscription is it will help us have a more stable and predictable revenue source and if we can rally enough people it will give NG more long-term stability than depending on the ever-fluctuating ad market.

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 17:21:38

flash is love
flash is life

adobu ackbar

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-21 22:43:19

This just makes me sad.

I understand Newgrounds is attempting to adapt to the modern age but to be quite frank I don't think it will, and the reason is that people don't really care about quality because their attention spans are shorter. Sure, compared to a book or a 50-hour Final Fantasy game, you could beat Stick RPG in a couple hours, mess around with Interactive Buddy for ten minutes, or play through Sift Heads in half an hour, but when you're scrolling through news feed that's been put in front of you you're encouraged not to spend more than two MINUTES looking at something.

It's not just Newgrounds that's dying, it's an entire style of entertainment that involves slowing down and acknowledging what someone else has made. The issue is that the field has become over-inflated with trash due to misuse of Unity and Greenlight and it's making people jaded. If something becomes popular, it's because it's short or because its lack of quality gives people something in common with each other. Unless something has been produced by a big company with a reputation, nobody is going to trust that digital media is quality work, and a game being free is no longer enough for someone to take a chance on it when there's so much more to waste your time than there was ten years ago.

I'm probably really biased here because part of it is also my own personal lifestyle. When I was between the ages of 8 and 14 I could spend hours playing Flash games, whereas now I have more responsibilities. Certainly there are people of that age now that have time to become invested in stuff the way I was when I was younger. Then again, social media is SO much more prevalent now, and that sucks up an unquantifiable amount of time.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Sheesh… I've heard Flash is dead for about 2 years (which is so hard to believe; no other scripting and 2d animation combos exist I think).

And while I'm wanting to revive my creativity lost (soon, I hope), I've read on FGL (FlashGameLicense) that Adobe is asking developers what flash improvements are needed @ https://www.fgl.com/view_thread.php?thread_id=57490&offset=0#post365788 (HTML errors worst than Flash? And it's similar to Tom's words...hopefully u can read).

And even if flash ads. die, those who have Adobe Flash can continue making .swfs to their bleeding heart's content.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 03:04:02

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 04:08:54

Haven't signed into NG for a long time... But i felt the need to say the flash cannot die. When I say flash i don't mean the media player. I am alluding to the short animated cartoons that gave the internet character and were really the first to be able to push boundaries. More often than not the cartoons i am thinking about were made with flash but its what they symbolize that is what is important.

When television was heavily censored and we all didn't have HD cameras in our pocket (or the social media to share the videos we make with them), there was the flash community. Websites like NG, Ebalmsworld, funny stuff, mini clip although still relatively low key gave us an outlet like no other and allowed people with interests in art, music, games, and comedy to congregate while satire call out the world.

For me it was always NG:
I remember waiting nearly 45mins on AOL dial up to watch Dragon Ball z Vs Harry Potter. The first pico day and madness day and being awestruck with the turn out of all the great submissions people put in as well as that shitty ones that still got a laugh with either goriness, shock value, or something just random as hell. Lines from online videos still swim around my mind, and from time to time i have to reexperience those vids.

"Gonads in the lighting, in the lighting, in the rain!"
"Badger, badger, badger"
"Hey Steve, Hiya captain"
"i like rusty spoons."
"I am the Fucking fucker!" ( finding all the easter eggs in RAB)

i've seen the old generation of NG and its came along way and although I still used the classic portal i also have seen a lot of the new work from current contributors and i have to say, I hope flash in that sense never dies!

P.S. All your pies are belong to us.

Well, what Unity and HTML5 games absolutely needs right now is support for NG APIs so that they can have features like Leaderboards and Medals.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 04:28:07

At 10/20/15 02:00 PM, NicholasCabraja wrote: I tired to upload a .wav file at the upload page as it says you now accept it... Which is great! But my attempt didn't go through?
Is this transition still in the works?

Sorry about that. You can go ahead and try now. If you still have problems, please drop me a PM.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 05:40:24

At 10/20/15 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Then there are people who can't get their mouths off Steve Jobs' rotting dick.

Goddamnit Tom, I love you.

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 06:00:27

We need to find someone that can make a converter to run .swf into something like javascript i really want to know if this is possible and if it would keep flash above water... :s

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-22 09:44:05

At 10/22/15 04:26 AM, LauriJ wrote: Well, what Unity and HTML5 games absolutely needs right now is support for NG APIs so that they can have features like Leaderboards and Medals.

I've been working on this exact thing. We have a new web API that's in private beta at the moment. I have an early html5 library working, and am in the middle of a Unity library right now. Once those get some additional testing, we'll be moving that to a public beta.

At 10/22/15 06:00 AM, rhys510 wrote: We need to find someone that can make a converter to run .swf into something like javascript i really want to know if this is possible and if it would keep flash above water... :s

While I haven't used it yet myself, OpenFL looks really promising for moving from flash to other platforms: http://www.openfl.org/

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-23 01:11:14

That was a very fascinating read. Thanks for the link, Tom!

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-23 04:21:13

Nice to see you still haven't lost your edge after all these years.

Enjoyed that article, and the 'Upload' button is just like old times too! :D So much nostalgia here.

Also, didn't realize the format toggle on submission pages was actually saved, what a useful unofficially unintroduced (?) feature addition!

As for Flash, it's definitely getting an unfairly bad rep, and Adobe aren't making the best of things either. Glad to see the browsers aren't about to phase it out yet, but even when they do I'm sure there'll be plenty of workarounds, just like there is for mobile now. If the main browsers fail, there'll be alternatives ones you can use. Hope Flash lives long yet, officially!

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to The Life and Death of Flash (VICE) 2015-10-24 17:03:42

At 10/23/15 02:46 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: As for Flash, it's definitely getting an unfairly bad rep, and Adobe aren't making the best of things either. Glad to see the browsers aren't about to phase it out yet, but even when they do I'm sure there'll be plenty of workarounds, just like there is for mobile now. If the main browsers fail, there'll be alternatives ones you can use. Hope Flash lives long yet, officially!

Yeah, but nobody usually uses technical workarounds, especially on hand-held devices: they (internet users) want their bread and circuses without too much fuss. It just sucks Adobe and the major browser companies just don't get it :\ Maybe Flash will still be behind the scenes in production, but for the average user, they're going to take whatever's given them. Hopefully all concerned parties will read that excellent article, have a no-bullshit re-think on the matter |:

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

At 10/24/15 05:03 PM, VicariousE wrote: Yeah, but nobody usually uses technical workarounds, especially on hand-held devices: they (internet users) want their bread and circuses without too much fuss. It just sucks Adobe and the major browser companies just don't get it :\ Maybe Flash will still be behind the scenes in production, but for the average user, they're going to take whatever's given them. Hopefully all concerned parties will read that excellent article, have a no-bullshit re-think on the matter |:

Well, all you really need to do to get Flash working on Android is install an alternative browser app (like Now Browser). If only more people were aware of how simple it is!! If the bigger browsers drop support for Flash on regular devices too, it'd be a great opportunity for smaller devs to jump in and offer their alternative product; get some extra attention. I wish more people spoke about how to keep using Flash than what you can move onto instead of it, though. For a while Unity seemed like the sublime successor, but that image sure has waned... yeah, hope so!

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature