00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

titanmo01 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

data transfer question

939 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

data transfer question 2004-06-17 09:28:22

ok i have 2 computers in my home...
both are running off of a 3.3megabit internet split with a router
for some reason i can setup a home netwerk...even tho i have everything we need on both computers and have run the set-up and it still doesnt work

i kno this isnt about ng's but i need help
i need to transfer a 1gb .rar file from my computer to my moms...
i dont have a dvd burner...
i can burn it onto multiple cd's because the rar is only 3 files and the main one(important one) is too big for a cd
how do i send the data?

i tried aim but it only goes up to 22kbps and that will take 10 hours...
but it closes automatically sometimes...
i dont need it on my moms computer for another month,but still
i have a site i can download it from....but it only goes at1-5kbps...that says it takes about 200 hours but it doesnt shut down as long as the window isnt closed...

is there anyway, some1 that cant get a dvd burner, can tranfser this stuff faster?

i'd rather go with the 200 hours because we can turn our back and check up every couple of hours
instead of a 10 hour constant watch(that we cant stop from stopping mid-way and corrupting the downloaded data so i have to start all over...

now the file is already zipped...

im stuck can any1 help
i cant use my home netwerk because it wont work ive had perfesionals try,but it just wont i think i need a replacement network card on my compy

p.s. i didnt want this to go into general because this is the area that u go when u need advice...

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-17 15:03:57

How would you feel about using MSN rather than AIM for transfering the file? I have yet to have a problem with it, but bare in mind I have only used it for 'casual' files; not behemoth sized ones.

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-18 06:33:26

well i have a problem with using messangers...
because they disconnect
msn might not do it quite as fast but this file will take a full day to transfer at least
and all those messangers cant restart the download using what its already downloaded like bittorent can...so i think i'll stick with bittorent for this...but for future things this could get VERY irritating...
im only 16 and theres no jobs available right now...but i think im going to get one soon and just buy a damn website and use that...
my friend bought some space at airax.net and hes got a damn arcade on it

i probably wont do that but buying sumtin like that online could be usefull
im starting to get tired of yahoo email
i might just buy a damn domain if gmail doesnt come out soon...that way i can have a GOOD email and tranfer data(just put it up on the site and download it again) and watever else i want with it

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-18 07:33:36

If you are using a router you should be able to set up a home network through it. What OS(s) are you using on them?

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-18 23:46:30

At 6/18/04 07:33 AM, D0GMA wrote: If you are using a router you should be able to set up a home network through it. What OS(s) are you using on them?

winxp home
but i think i have a bad network card because if run the setup on both compy's and they both HAVE network cards...but my moms compy has a big list of "shared" documents when i click network places,but my computer wont list any of the files i selected to share...

but networking is just to difficult to set-up

does any1 kno a good place to get a domain with good space
theres a yahoo one with 350mb but its only for buisnesses
are there any good ones form places like yahoo with good space and for personal use?

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-20 00:15:57

i just saw the lunar pages link on the front page...
i checked it out....
1200mb storage
80gb bandwith...

ok and its only like 22 bucks

any1 have expirience with it
i dont like to buy from ppl ive never heard from...

but this is definitly worth it if there good and not some scam...

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-20 04:36:55

You know, the easiest thing to do in this situation would be to just set up one computer as an FTP or HTTP server. For the absolute quickest and easiest setup, I recommend using Python.

So what you'll do first is head over to www.python.org and then download the latest Windows installer. Go ahead and install the server. Then it should be installed in C:\Python23 (I think).

You want to copy this file: C:\Python23\Lib\simplehttpserver.py . Next, copy that file to your C:\ folder. The last step from this computer is to just double click that file you copied, and you will now have a web server for everything on your C:\ drive running. You need to know the IP of that computer, which HOPEFULLY is on a private network, meaning it will be 192.168.*.* . Finally, go on the computer to which the files should be transfered, and open a web server and go to http://192.168.0.5:8000 (make sure the address is whatever is correct for you, and the web server automatically binds to port 8000).

For this to work, all you should need to do is connect the two computers directly to one another. In fact, that's preferred, so nobody else can access your whole hard drive from the outside.

Hopefully, that is clear and well-written. If you're at least a little computer literate, you should be able to work through it without any hitches, though.

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-20 08:07:51

You say the file is too big for a CD? You know there are programs which splits files, winzip, for example can do it... have a search on the net, i'm sure there are others

Would be a lot less painful than trying to transfer it over the internet

Response to data transfer question 2004-06-20 14:46:20

At 6/20/04 04:36 AM, pieoncar wrote:
Hopefully, that is clear and well-written. If you're at least a little computer literate, you should be able to work through it without any hitches, though.

wow u know what i hate about what u said....i understood it all...but i wanna set up a website for other reasons(arcades) and i have transfered the file and found a good place to get a web site if i knew html and all those things,which i dont,but i can find away to get a web builder or watever
but thank you this will help ALOT