00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

July 2015 Challenge of the Month!

27,910 Views | 294 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 11:05:22

At 7/7/15 10:54 AM, animasouloss wrote: Still working on this. I need to add white and red in it. Going for surrealism expressionism look. I wonder if this still follows the color rule.

I like this, great work on the fluidity.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 11:34:44

A little update, I haven't had time to do any real work on it yet, but ill show what I have so far

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 14:02:10

I already submitted my drawing :D
These kind of contests are freaking awesome! Thanks Jazza for the initiative!

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 14:43:37

I'm still confused on the whole scouting thing....
Jazza won't be able to find my image if its not in the art portal.... ;w;

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 14:59:44

At 7/7/15 02:43 PM, kanpake wrote: I'm still confused on the whole scouting thing....
Jazza won't be able to find my image if its not in the art portal.... ;w;

He says in every COTM announcement video that it doesn't matter if you're scouted or unscouted; he wiil find it. In fact, you can find your entry in this link <http://www.newgrounds.com/art/browse/artists/unscouted/search/COTMFEAR>

Remember to check in the description of the COTM announcement videos on youtube to find the links for both scouted and unscouted entries.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 15:35:48

At 7/7/15 02:59 PM, RyanB12 wrote: He says in every COTM announcement video that it doesn't matter if you're scouted or unscouted; he wiil find it. In fact, you can find your entry in this link <http://www.newgrounds.com/art/browse/artists/unscouted/search/COTMFEAR>

oh..
sorry, I feel stupid now... ._.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 15:38:19

At 7/6/15 06:51 PM, Jazza wrote:
At 7/3/15 10:12 AM, TaylorMadeCartoons wrote: There is no way Bobhoboson didn't copy his submission. I don't like outing people I just don't think its fair he's taking attention away from people who generally have tried.
On the left is from Google images and on the right is Bobhoboson submission.
Thank you for pointing this out. It's difficult for me to see exactly which artists copied or stole their submissions, it's disappointing that people would do so and take advantage of the situation to steal a prize, but it's a sad inevitability. Do you guys have suggestions for me, to enable me to best check if a piece is stolen?

If you save the image submitted for COTM to your desktop then drag it into Google images it will show you the closest matching images (it pretty bloody accurate). be a pain to it will all images but shouldn't take long with just the winners.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 16:06:19

There! That skin was a pain.... But it was worth it! Now, the ground will need some care and finish the jaws of the said snake.... Nedd also to add the ligth effects with the color. Ahhh, so much to do. Still, I like where this is going.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 17:53:14

I need a bit of help here. I feel that the contrast is off or something along those lines. Cant for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 18:09:37

At 7/6/15 03:52 PM, Pencil-Pony wrote: i have been working 10 hours on this so far... a lot more to go

Immpresive!

At 7/7/15 09:45 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote: Hey guys. This is my first time doing an art challenge contest thingy. I would say that I am definitely a beginner at drawing, especially on the computer. If anyone has any input or advice on how to improve this it would be much appreciated :) I think that the title for this will be "Eye of the Beholder"

You have a bit too many eyelashes and the eyebrows are a bit too light. Also remember that even little hairs vary in brightness and contrast from start to end :) you are doing great so far though!

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 18:21:59

At 7/7/15 05:53 PM, DesidiAFilms wrote: I need a bit of help here. I feel that the contrast is off or something along those lines. Cant for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

I don't want to discourage you, but I think there's more than just contrast that would need a litle fixing :3 To begin with, the arm falling on the floor is too long, you should try to use cmd+t (don't put the + when typing it) to resize it. After, your gradients would need a little more blending. To do that, take a round brush (I think it's easier that way) with soft edge (or put the hardness to 0) and lower the opacity of your brush to, let's say 20-30% and pick a shade of grey that is slightly lighter than your dark color and pass on the edge of your circles as much time as needed. Don't forget to change the color as you approach the really light grey you have near your character. As for your contrast, add darker greys in the areas that you want darker. It should help. Oh! And when you'll have finished your picture, go to: layers» new setting layer» level and make the 2 opposed arrows come closer to the nearest value on the graphic. You could also use the same path and take luminosity/contrast instead or use it at the same time as the Level layer. Makes the whole thing a bit more alive :) Hope that helps

got to working some more dark tones in and i think i got it right. now onto the arm
. Thanks miliade
:D

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 18:59:23

Ok, now I've smoothed out the brush strokes for the shadows and added another gradient ontop of it as well as shifted the arm up a bit.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 19:26:09

At 7/7/15 06:15 PM, DaSlendyman wrote:
At 7/7/15 09:45 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote: Hey guys. This is my first time doing an art challenge contest thingy. I would say that I am definitely a beginner at drawing, especially on the computer. If anyone has any input or advice on how to improve this it would be much appreciated :) I think that the title for this will be "Eye of the Beholder"
You have a bit too many eyelashes and the eyebrows are a bit too light. Also remember that even little hairs vary in brightness and contrast from start to end :) you are doing great so far though!

Thank you for the response. I couldn't figure out why the eyebrows didn't look right. I will definitely be taking your advice :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 21:36:32

What do you guys think of the changes I made? If you have any advice for a drawing noob, I could really use it :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-07 23:33:45

At 7/7/15 09:36 PM, RaiOfTardis wrote: What do you guys think of the changes I made? If you have any advice for a drawing noob, I could really use it :)

You're welcome! Another thing is the eyelashes stick out instead of curved. It's an easy thing to miss, but since the eyeball bulges out, most eyelashes are also curved and especially if feminine. Another thing is the bottom eyelash should barely have any eyelashes. Very small at the ends and long in the middle remember. Also make sure to include the little pink ends. The eye hole is big, but because it is rather a slit, the eyeball itself only covers most of it.the only way it would work out without the ends would be if the eye slit was cut out like a circle for the sphere to fit into. The part that is still open needs to be included. Another thing is that it seems quite light and flat. Have you picked a spot where the light is? If so, you could have some dramatic lighting if it was put off to one side, instead of head on. Which then you can have the shadow become nearly black and leave the white spots light.

Hope this helps! I remember being new to it all and having no idea what to do. :) with practice it'll get better

does anyone else feel like they're taking forever on their pieces even though it really hasn't been forever

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 00:34:33

At 7/7/15 11:33 PM, DaSlendyman wrote:
At 7/7/15 09:36 PM, RaiOfTardis wrote: What do you guys think of the changes I made? If you have any advice for a drawing noob, I could really use it :)
You're welcome! Another thing is the eyelashes stick out instead of curved. It's an easy thing to miss, but since the eyeball bulges out, most eyelashes are also curved and especially if feminine. Another thing is the bottom eyelash should barely have any eyelashes. Very small at the ends and long in the middle remember. Also make sure to include the little pink ends. The eye hole is big, but because it is rather a slit, the eyeball itself only covers most of it.the only way it would work out without the ends would be if the eye slit was cut out like a circle for the sphere to fit into. The part that is still open needs to be included. Another thing is that it seems quite light and flat. Have you picked a spot where the light is? If so, you could have some dramatic lighting if it was put off to one side, instead of head on. Which then you can have the shadow become nearly black and leave the white spots light.

Hope this helps! I remember being new to it all and having no idea what to do. :) with practice it'll get better

Thank you sooo much. I just started learning to draw in May, so I really need the help. Most of the shading is from what I know of makeup. The basic highlights and contours, I am trying to work on making more shadows than bone structure, which is the point of contour. I have had a difficult time with the eyelashes because I am just using the mousepad on my laptop. At least the deadline isn't till the end of the month :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 00:37:52

At 7/8/15 12:34 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote:
At 7/7/15 11:33 PM, DaSlendyman wrote:

Thank you sooo much. I just started learning to draw in May, so I really need the help. Most of the shading is from what I know of makeup. The basic highlights and contours, I am trying to work on making more shadows than bone structure, which is the point of contour. I have had a difficult time with the eyelashes because I am just using the mousepad on my laptop. At least the deadline isn't till the end of the month :)

the only thing i can say is eyelashes normally don't go right in to the inner eye corners they normally only go to where the iris starts/finises (well they go in a little further then that but they're very small and can look a little odd when put into drawings depending on how your draw them) idk thats just where i like to finish mine for a more natural look you don't have to do it that way i think you're doing great :) keep it up!!!

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 00:39:05

At 7/8/15 12:34 AM, JettHenderson wrote: i honestly think you're doing great! the only thing i can really say is with the eyelashes don't bring them all the way to the inner eye corner, they normally finish along where the iris (the colour of the eye) starts/finsihes :) you're honestly doing great i really like the piece keep it up!!!!

Thank you so much :) I think I have a little too much focus on how eyelashes would look with makeup. Being that makeup art is something that I have always loved. When you put mascara on it makes the tiny lashes in the corners visible, without it on you can't even tell that the lashes are there. I guess I should work on trying to forget what I know about makeup while I'm drawing someone without it :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 00:42:34

At 7/8/15 12:39 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote:
At 7/8/15 12:34 AM, JettHenderson wrote: i honestly think you're doing great! the only thing i can really say is with the eyelashes don't bring them all the way to the inner eye corner, they normally finish along where the iris (the colour of the eye) starts/finsihes :) you're honestly doing great i really like the piece keep it up!!!!
Thank you so much :) I think I have a little too much focus on how eyelashes would look with makeup. Being that makeup art is something that I have always loved. When you put mascara on it makes the tiny lashes in the corners visible, without it on you can't even tell that the lashes are there. I guess I should work on trying to forget what I know about makeup while I'm drawing someone without it :)

yes i know that feeling haha if you wanted to keep it like that maybe make the outer lashes a little longer to kind of give that mascara look, eyelashes are hard and i had a lot of trouble drawing them when i first started so don't feel discouraged or anything you're doing great for a "drawing noob" hehe

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 00:52:15

At 7/8/15 12:42 AM, JettHenderson wrote:
At 7/8/15 12:39 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote:
yes i know that feeling haha if you wanted to keep it like that maybe make the outer lashes a little longer to kind of give that mascara look, eyelashes are hard and i had a lot of trouble drawing them when i first started so don't feel discouraged or anything you're doing great for a "drawing noob" hehe

Thanks :) This is the most I have ever had to work on eyelashes lol. I was trying to go for more of a gender neutral character, so I'm not wanting it to look like mascara. But I think I am starting to lean towards a female character, I made the jawline a bit too rounded so I'm just going with it now. But I will work on making the lashes look much more natural :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 03:42:04

At 7/8/15 12:34 AM, JettHenderson wrote: does anyone else feel like they're taking forever on their pieces even though it really hasn't been forever

yup finding the time to get it done inbetween other stuff has been tough.
We will get there though.

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 04:10:47

Here is the latest and last update of the night. I am having a hard time blending the highlights on photoshop, if anyone has any tips on that I could really use the help :) Thank you guys for all the help that has been coming in, if you have any more advice I would love to hear it :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 06:09:48

At 7/8/15 04:10 AM, RaiOfTardis wrote: Here is the latest and last update of the night. I am having a hard time blending the highlights on photoshop, if anyone has any tips on that I could really use the help :) Thank you guys for all the help that has been coming in, if you have any more advice I would love to hear it :)

I personally actually love the harshness of the blending and i don't think you need to blend it any more it adds a lot of interest and just makes it look so much more interesting i feel drawn to that harsh blending but thats just me :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 06:11:34

Slowly making progress
It is slowly coming together in a way I'm happy with though if you have any suggestions feel free to throw them my way :)

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 10:42:49

Here's my progress or workflow more like. I think I'm satisfied with the final image. Mostly did this just for fun and good practice. :D

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 11:23:34

I have a dilema... I'm not sure which one is better and what to improve so... Help? I put the 2 images next to eah other. Which one is better? With or without green lights in the back?

Response to July 2015 Challenge of the Month! 2015-07-08 11:27:51

At 7/8/15 11:23 AM, miliade wrote: I have a dilema... I'm not sure which one is better and what to improve so... Help? I put the 2 images next to eah other. Which one is better? With or without green lights in the back?

I prefer the green lights in the back. It appears to look toxic and almost radioactive.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature