00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

out-of-pocket just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct 2030 Jam Update

14,865 Views | 36 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-02 12:56:37

I second this! Thanks Tom for giving us a portal to show our work! Best of luck to all!

At 7/2/14 10:59 AM, HenerzH wrote: Really appreciate the time and effort you put into this!
I also appreciate the encouragement of low score not necessarily meaning bad game ideas.
I look forward to, and am afraid to see the results.
I am also looking forward to the new theme being announced next Friday!
At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: I have now played all 134 entries in the Construct 2030 Jam and am working with some judges to narrow down the top 9 as well as the 15 runner-ups.

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-02 22:54:19

First off, big hats-off to Tom for being such a swell guy by putting so much personal care & involvement in site events. Luv ya, man!

Second, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring about the "platform jam" idea (gee, I like hats today). I agree that pitting different platforms against each other would create unnecessary animosity between them, and would likely end up with poor representations of respective platforms' quality (especially if participants decide use such a jam as an opportunity to try a new framework/program for the first time). What might be a better idea is to continue the platform-oriented jams NG has been having as of late, like the Construct/Touch Jam and whatnot. Having a jam now and then dedicated to a specific platform (HTML5 Jam, Haxe Jam, etc) would give people a good excuse+environment to try new things, without fear of feeling limited by their working environment as everyone would be on a (relatively) equal footing. I'm not sure how the turnouts would be for such jams would be, but that approach would be more about getting people to try new things rather than being huge site-wide events.

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-03 05:35:41

Waiting with this update!

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-03 10:36:30

At 7/2/14 10:54 PM, mr-johnson22 wrote: What might be a better idea is to continue the platform-oriented jams NG has been having as of late, like the Construct/Touch Jam and whatnot. Having a jam now and then dedicated to a specific platform (HTML5 Jam, Haxe Jam, etc) would give people a good excuse+environment to try new things, without fear of feeling limited by their working environment as everyone would be on a (relatively) equal footing. I'm not sure how the turnouts would be for such jams would be, but that approach would be more about getting people to try new things rather than being huge site-wide events.

Agreed, I've been enjoying the platform-based events and I like how it puts everyone on a level playing field (except for when some people have paid features unlocked that others don't). I also like that it gets people to try the different platforms and the overall result is a decent representation of what the tools are capable of.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-03 12:25:47

I think theme based is better than platform based and here is why.
When you give people a theme, they will need to use their creativity to make the best game.
Even with limited tools the developers will find a way to showcase their best work.
They will create what they are capable of doing it based on their skills and tool's capabitlies.
For example, a game created with Construct 2 most likely will be a 2D game. You might not see anyone trying to mimic a 3D with it because it will never win against Unity.

I have played an enormous amount of games throughout my life.
I don't remember one occasion that I thought a such game should be built in a different platform to be better.
All the games were built to work in that specific setting. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it don't.

Creativity will always win against expensive tools.

Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-04 02:27:09

I'm here waiting for the results, can't wait!