00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KungFuCarafu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing while listening to music

381 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Writing while listening to music 2014-02-09 00:47:55

When you're writing something, do you sometimes listen to certain music to help keep you focused? If so, what kind of music would you listen to as you write?

For me, it depends on what story I would write, especially when it comes to fanfictions, it varies. For example, the crackfic of DBZ I'm working on, I listen to the opening theme from the movie, "A Man Called Hero".

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing while listening to music 2014-02-09 00:55:00

I'm into writing a lot of coming-of-age stories, so to get me in that kind of zone, I usually listen to Fall Out Boy, Airborne Toxic Event, and Lorde, since they all write songs about teenage angst and the struggles young ones go through. It's really there just to give my head something to listen to, since writing isn't always the most entertaining thing.

Today I learned I'm a pimp and a cool. Upvote me to karma heaven, bitches.

Here's my letterboxd that I don't update.

Here's my IMDb that I update more.

Response to Writing while listening to music 2014-02-10 16:04:56

I do this but usually don't pay attention to the lyrics or even whatever story I'm trying to write. Generally my taste in music is "epic", or progressive-ish and something to make it a bit heavier like a fast tempo or heavy sounding instruments. Songs that transition through different stages tend to work well when writing usually, or really any song that I feel would make a good theme song. Just off the top of my head, Foo Fighter's Walk would fit this description but it can vary wildly. Honestly the sheer fact that there is music I like playing can inspire me.

Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing while listening to music 2014-02-22 09:11:54

I prefer quiet, but often listen to something to get into 'character'. Mandy's Plan from the 24 soundtrack by Sean Callery is a personal fav.