00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LightyJaeger just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

123mine123's Learning Area

94,322 Views | 745 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-07-29 18:07:15

At 7/28/14 01:23 PM, 123mine123 wrote: *raises hands* DONE! I think.

This is definitely your best effort I've seen to this point! There's an interesting expression, and the color choices aren't too bad either. However, I can give a few critiques.

Your lighting is sort of coming from everywhere, and is minimal at best. There's a lack of light source with the head being fully lit, while the body is somewhat flat color. Try imagining where your light source is and how it hits the body. Draw from still life to practice. Put a piece of fruit or an object under a lamp, or shine a flashlight on it at angles. Also know the TYPE of light you're thinking. Is it the sun? A harsh spotlight? The type of light can depend on how harsh your shadows and gradients are.

With the fur texture, try to imagine the head in parts. The way it is now, the head blends a bit into the neck, while the fur is basically matted to the skin. While I can tell you thought of keeping the neck darker, don't be afraid to bring some of those fur strokes outside the line to give it more 3D space.

I'm still learning how to draw in volume myself, but that is enormously important. Thinking about your character in 3D shapes, spheres, cubes, etc will help you with depth and perspective. I notice in a lot of your drawings you're trying to show the whole body as much as possible, not thinking about 3D space and perspective. The body goes a little flat on the chest, and the right side of his body appears almost bigger than the left (the closer side to the viewer). Thinking in shapes will help you with this.

However, it's definitely an improvement and a new milestone from your earlier pieces. Keep painting, studying, watching tutorials, and if you really have the balls...you can learn a lot more and get critiques on your art from conceptart.org. Beware though, they won't sugarcoat anything.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-07-30 01:40:57

At 7/29/14 06:07 PM, fxscreamer wrote: This is definitely your best effort I've seen to this point! There's an interesting expression, and the color choices aren't too bad either. However, I can give a few critiques.
Your lighting is sort of coming from everywhere, and is minimal at best. There's a lack of light source with the head being fully lit, while the body is somewhat flat color. Try imagining where your light source is and how it hits the body. Draw from still life to practice. Put a piece of fruit or an object under a lamp, or shine a flashlight on it at angles. Also know the TYPE of light you're thinking. Is it the sun? A harsh spotlight? The type of light can depend on how harsh your shadows and gradients are.

I'm too new too this! D:
Since this is just a hobby, I don't wanna do still life. :C
However, there are other ways I could improve my lighting, and it's that I would take screen shots of movies and I'll try copying it. Maybe it'll work better and much more fun for me.

With the fur texture, try to imagine the head in parts. The way it is now, the head blends a bit into the neck, while the fur is basically matted to the skin. While I can tell you thought of keeping the neck darker, don't be afraid to bring some of those fur strokes outside the line to give it more 3D space.

I really have no idea what I was doing. xD
I should get back to the fur rendering tutorial I found on DA.
I'm thinking of drawing more real life rabbits.

I'm still learning how to draw in volume myself, but that is enormously important. Thinking about your character in 3D shapes, spheres, cubes, etc will help you with depth and perspective. I notice in a lot of your drawings you're trying to show the whole body as much as possible, not thinking about 3D space and perspective. The body goes a little flat on the chest, and the right side of his body appears almost bigger than the left (the closer side to the viewer). Thinking in shapes will help you with this.

I didn't really pay much mind to the body. This drawing was just a result of me doodling.
I haven't really got much time to practice torsos.

However, it's definitely an improvement and a new milestone from your earlier pieces. Keep painting, studying, watching tutorials, and if you really have the balls...you can learn a lot more and get critiques on your art from conceptart.org. Beware though, they won't sugarcoat anything.

Concept.org... That's where my friend is going buy an art course...
Definitely wouldn't come there. .-.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-07-30 09:38:26

So it went like this...
----------------------------
In Skype:
[6:23:38 PM] JKSSN.123MINE123: UGH give me something to draw
[6:24:20 PM] Daniel [Daker777]: a potato with a hat walking a fish
[6:24:53 PM] JKSSN.123MINE123: thats actually something i wanna draw...
[6:25:42 PM] Daniel [Daker777]: draw it and you will earn a free internet
----------------------------

WIP x3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-02 02:04:31

Eh...
Any ideas what I could use as a background?
I was thinking of a shop with a huge transparent window showing off wine or clothes (hats).

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-02 09:48:05

hue hue hue...
WIP

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-03 03:30:24

Finally done with Mr. Po-ta-to.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-03 11:10:12

DONE WITH GREY-SCALE!
NO MORE!!! >:C

...I'm so tired.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-03 12:25:10

if you put your characters in boxes you can see that both of them have a very different perspective.
Note that all of these supposed vanishing points should converge on 1 (horizon)line.
Also try blending with a hard brush and opacity levels. i only use soft brush on round surfaces to create gradients, and very limited aswell.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-03 12:37:35

At 8/3/14 12:25 PM, Flowers10 wrote: if you put your characters in boxes you can see that both of them have a very different perspective.
Note that all of these supposed vanishing points should converge on 1 (horizon)line.
Also try blending with a hard brush and opacity levels. i only use soft brush on round surfaces to create gradients, and very limited aswell.

Ugh, I'm having a hard time with perspective... too late to change now though. It doesn't look that bad.
And I painted this with a custom brush that looks like paint on a canvas with opacity with pressure on, max opacity is somewhere around 40, and flow is around 30. Just trying it out. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-05 12:03:58

Done and done! Took me almost 20 hours to get this done!
I don't mind. It was incredibly fun making this. xD

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-05 13:58:27

At 8/5/14 12:03 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Done and done! Took me almost 20 hours to get this done!

Great! I'm really starting to see improvement. Maybe it's because you've started painting too. :D

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-06 02:55:36

At 8/5/14 01:58 PM, fxscreamer wrote:
At 8/5/14 12:03 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Done and done! Took me almost 20 hours to get this done!
Great! I'm really starting to see improvement. Maybe it's because you've started painting too. :D

I'm really surprising myself that I can actually do this... Thanks FX!
Seems like the longer we draw, we eventually learn and improve...

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-06 06:49:58

Just a quickie..

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-09 11:41:16

Creating a webcomic!!! woot...
Character design on my sketchbook because someone else is using teh computer...

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-09 13:05:52

Hey, that turned out great! Nice job (and cute idea!)

I think part of what's throwing the perspective off is the angle of his front foot. It would be even more exaggerated than what I skewed it to, but you get the jist.

Other things to keep in mind are body movement and balance. If his left leg is forward, his left arm would be back ...and his right hand would be turned more inwards. Also... watch your placement in relation to other objects and the background. The lightest shade of the fish's back and Mr Potato's thumb are almost the same as the sidewalk so they get a bit lost (to the point that the back fin is almost indistinguishable).

As someone that's 'new to this' ...you're making a lot of progress! Keep it up! :D

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-09 13:06:58

crap, I knew I'd forget the pic. Sorry! lol

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-09 13:18:31

At 8/9/14 01:05 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Hey, that turned out great! Nice job (and cute idea!)

It was my friend's idea though. I can never think of anything like this unless I in those days where I'm overly imaginative.

I think part of what's throwing the perspective off is the angle of his front foot. It would be even more exaggerated than what I skewed it to, but you get the jist.

I am...TERRIBLE.. at perspective. However, I think I'm learning more of simplifying shapes to get those cylinders down that has foreshortening.

Other things to keep in mind are body movement and balance. If his left leg is forward, his left arm would be back ...and his right hand would be turned more inwards. Also... watch your placement in relation to other objects and the background. The lightest shade of the fish's back and Mr Potato's thumb are almost the same as the sidewalk so they get a bit lost (to the point that the back fin is almost indistinguishable).

Actually I did that with his arms on purpose, but I get how most people would get bothered by it.
When sketching this, I though it was a good idea because arms on a potato. .-.

As someone that's 'new to this' ...you're making a lot of progress! Keep it up! :D

Well, not entirely new, but still kinda sucky. xD Thanks for the criticism! Definitely gonna be even MORE cautious with perspective.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-09 15:22:36

Since i see your really trying to improve
Heres a pro tip i picked up in school for fore shorting
If you are able to put everything in boxes, and follow basic perspective drawing will become really easy.

this demonstrates the duplication of a object in perspective.

1 what you do is draw a cross in the cube, this is to find the center of the box

2. so you got the center, where it meets the edge of the cube you can draw a line from the corner through that one, where it hits the other line is where the next cube ends. and you have effectively duplicated the cube. put this in perspective and a lot is suddenly possible.

hope this makes sense, english is not my gooiest langangue

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-10 03:08:16

At 8/9/14 03:22 PM, Flowers10 wrote: this demonstrates the duplication of a object in perspective.

Yoooo! This is actually really helpful!
It's like math in artz! I'll definitely make use of this.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-10 03:13:05

Ugh.. here's my take on Daker's squirrel...

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-10 08:23:53

I should probably draw these characters close to Daker's instead.
So it should be a noticable difference but not too different to become irregular.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-10 08:24:54

At 8/10/14 08:23 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I should probably draw these characters close to Daker's instead.
So it should be a noticable difference but not too different to become irregular.

Annd forgot the pic...

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-10 11:19:37

Kibbles teh Ferretz. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-12 09:19:21

Our fox character...
I could probably done better..
Plus, I think we made him too evil.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-14 12:41:31

WIP. >.>

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-16 06:01:04

At 3/13/14 08:19 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Well, I'm just really guessing where the shadows and lights are.
Hope I'm doing it right.

The tail seems really stiff, kind of like a feather duster, there needs to be more flow and curve in the tail to stop it looking like that.

I feel slightly hollow inside.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-16 10:29:11

At 8/16/14 06:01 AM, VacantVirtuoso wrote: The tail seems really stiff, kind of like a feather duster, there needs to be more flow and curve in the tail to stop it looking like that.

Eh, this was done 5 months ago. Looking at it now, everything about his pose is stiff.
I think I'm drawing more looser now. I think. eh..
Also, lol feather duster tail.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-16 16:23:16

At 8/9/14 11:41 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Creating a webcomic!!! woot...

Kinda curious. What will it be about?

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-17 01:02:13

At 8/16/14 04:23 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote:
At 8/9/14 11:41 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Creating a webcomic!!! woot...
Kinda curious. What will it be about?

TBH, we have no idea...
So far, its this world where apparently is monarchy but rules by a corrupted king.
It will have rebels, but the story will be surrounded by orphaned kids.
We have these great story ideas, but so far, we still don't know what era we want this to be in. I say the '50's but Daker wants it to be...different.
Ugh, so we have an absolute monarchy, rebels, a created country with animal people, and an era we're not sure about (but definitely something modern)...
awdhbuqaezhfgerjha9eoigrjiagjmreg

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-17 05:38:06

At 8/17/14 01:02 AM, 123mine123 wrote: TBH, we have no idea...
So far, its this world where apparently is monarchy but rules by a corrupted king.
It will have rebels, but the story will be surrounded by orphaned kids.
We have these great story ideas, but so far, we still don't know what era we want this to be in. I say the '50's but Daker
wants it to be...different.
Ugh, so we have an absolute monarchy, rebels, a created country with animal people, and an era we're not sure about :(but definitely something modern)...
awdhbuqaezhfgerjha9eoigrjiagjmreg

Well, you got a setting. Thats means you have at least some idea.
You also have a vague idea of who the main characters should be.
Maybe you want to start writing the characters now and go deeper into world building. Create some conceptual works for the environments and characters for visual reference, so that you can draw them consistently.
Think about the history of the world, its society, its inhabitants (intelligent and not), character relations etc.
A good story needs an interesting world and well written, memorable characters, but does not need to be very complex in itself. Many good stories are actually very simplistic, but great characters and worldbuilding, aswell as a working and consistent narrative, give the story depth.

You may also want to sit down and make some style studies, perhaps even create a moodboard. It really hepls pinpointing down how you want to draw the comic by answering questions like:
What colors do I want to use? Do I even want to use colors? How will I stylize my characters? How will I illustrate backgrounds and characters together? What will be my panel distribution? Which font for speech bubbles? How will I
include sound words in the panels, if at all? What is the tone of my comic suppose to be like?

I know this sounds like alot (it is) but it can be a very fun and fulfilling work if you embrace it optimistically.
Good luck with your project and have fun :)

---------| You're welcome |----------