00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Government Shutdown 2013

16,152 Views | 246 Replies

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-25 18:54:51

At 9/25/13 05:18 PM, Th-e wrote: There is now a date for when the U.S. will default on its debt without a deal: October 17.

Should this be given its own topic or should discussion be kept here? The reasons for both situations are the same.

I heard about the new limit. I think it's fine here for now, but when we learn more it could get a new topic.

When I say it's inevitable I mean considering the variables involved and the 30 hour waiting periods, and then factor that in to the inadequacy of our legislative branch, a shutdown is highly likely. I found a great timeline with the countdown. Check it out.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-26 14:22:42

Shutdown is increasingly likely as GOP leaders rejected the short-term spending plan expected to be passed by the Senate.

Asked if the House would pass the bill if it cleared the senate, Boehner replied: “I do not see that happening.”

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-26 23:44:42

Rather than have everyone all nervous about a "government shutdown," why don't we just get rid of all of the unnecessary federal agencies, bureaus, offices, etc.?

Examples:
Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs
Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs
Bureau of Human Resources
Bureau of Information Resource Management
Bureau of Intelligence and Research
Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs
Bureau of International Organization Affairs
Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation
Bureau of Legislative Affairs
Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs
Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs
Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations
Bureau of Political-Military Affairs
Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Bureau of Public Affairs
Bureau of Resource Management
Bureau of South Asian Affairs
Bureau of Verification, Compliance, and Implementation
Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs
Office of International Information Programs
Office of the Legal Adviser
Office of Management Policy
Office of Protocol
Office of the Science and Technology Adviser
Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons

and many, many more.

The Constitution makes quite clear the role of the Federal government..
1) Defense, war prosecution, peace, foreign relations, foreign commerce, and interstate commerce
2) The protection of citizens’ constitutional rights and ensuring that slavery remains illegal
3) Establishing federal courts inferior to the Supreme Court
4) Copyright protection
5) Coining money
6) Establishing post offices and post roads
7) Establishing a national set of universal weights and measures
8 ) Taxation needed to raise revenue to perform these essential functions.

How any of the aforementioned bureaus, offices, etc. have anything to do with these is beyond me.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 00:08:16

At 9/25/13 01:09 PM, Feoric wrote:
At 9/25/13 12:47 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: What do you all think of Cruz's 21 hour speech to the Senate last night? Seemed like he was stalling.
It was for his constituents and right wing media. It was for nobody but the Tea Party. Note that it was not a filibuster, but rather a speech as you correctly pointed out. Cruz pre-arranged a deal with Harry Reid before doing so. There are now officially 60 votes to move forward with the bill in the Senate. Guess who voted for cloture?

Ted Cruz.

Also, hate to double post, but this needed to be pointed out. Cruz voted to advance it to cloture. The cloture vote hasn't happened yet. That's tomorrow. So, he did not vote for cloture. No one has voted on that either way, nor will they have until tomorrow. As previously stated, he voted to advance it to a cloture vote.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 01:46:22

option A: shut down government, wide spread rioting and panic will happen for sure, which will probably shut down many sectors of the economy.

option B: raise debt ceiling, meaning they will solve the problem later when it's even worse.

option C: balance the budget, which will turn out a lot like option A.

don't think there are any good ways out of this. They will probably just choose option B because as Keynes puts it "in the long run, we're all dead"

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 01:56:29

At 9/27/13 01:46 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: option A: shut down government, wide spread rioting and panic will happen for sure, which will probably shut down many sectors of the economy.

option B: raise debt ceiling, meaning they will solve the problem later when it's even worse.

option C: balance the budget, which will turn out a lot like option A.

Option D) Cease funding for, and eliminate, unnecessary federal agencies.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 07:27:16

At 9/26/13 11:44 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote:
essential functions.
How any of the aforementioned bureaus, offices, etc. have anything to do with these is beyond me.

so you think that the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs has nothing to do with Copyright protection?
A lot of those Bureaus provide a supporting role to the essential function, and typically supporting roles account for 10 times the positions filled for every 1 that is directly responsible for the essential functions.

It's the same in the military you need at least 10 service man on support for each marine in actual combat. Also Think about what is needed in order for you to go buy a gallon of milk from the grocery store. The infrastructure that has to be implemented and maintained.

I would like to see some real impact analysis to properly judge whether a bureau isn't supporting an essential function of the federal government.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 09:21:08

lol this is all i can think of

the way i look at it is they had this all planned 30 to 50 years ago and we are just watching politicians on a script playing it out. meanwhile as we speak they are coming out with the script to be played out in 2030 and 2050 and beyond.

Government Shutdown 2013

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 09:26:13

At 9/27/13 09:21 AM, Rampager wrote: lol this is all i can think of

the way i look at it is they had this all planned 30 to 50 years ago and we are just watching politicians on a script playing it out. meanwhile as we speak they are coming out with the script to be played out in 2030 and 2050 and beyond.

and people in 2050 will still believe things are happening on accident and incident, kind of like a man walking through a cow field and only looking at his toes "oh we stepped in another cow pattie, didn't see that coming" kind of mentality instead of looking 10 feet infront of him at the truck full of cows pooping from behind the truck

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 10:07:55

At 9/27/13 12:08 AM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: Also, hate to double post, but this needed to be pointed out. Cruz voted to advance it to cloture. The cloture vote hasn't happened yet. That's tomorrow. So, he did not vote for cloture. No one has voted on that either way, nor will they have until tomorrow. As previously stated, he voted to advance it to a cloture vote.

No, this is incorrect. There are two cloture votes. One was on Wednesday, and the other one is today. This Post article gives the rundown.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 12:05:17

At 9/26/13 02:22 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Shutdown is increasingly likely as GOP leaders rejected the short-term spending plan expected to be passed by the Senate.

Asked if the House would pass the bill if it cleared the senate, Boehner replied: “I do not see that happening.”

Then it's coming down to the wire. Once the Senate passes the CR bill the House only has 30 hours to make a decision. Both sides think the other will cave. Boehner isn't insane but his job is on the line. Whether we shut down is all on Boehner, and I'm beginning to think he lacks the gumption to not cave in to the loonies.

This is precisely the reason why I don't pretend like I know what the House is going to do. The House GOP has a very slim majority. For them to pass anything they either need to compromise with the Democrats or get every single Republican to vote yea. However, this is not taking into consideration the Tea Party caucus. You only need about 15-20 House TP Republicans to prevent a GOP-only bill from passing, unless the bill is made to be absolutely fucking crazy. The Senate rejects bills that are absolutely fucking crazy. Thus, the only option left for the House GOP leadership is compromising with the House Democrats. There are two problems here: (1) there is a very real and present danger that the Republican leadership will be ousted in favor of one of the Tea Party challengers if it ever came to that, and (2) the 2010 election ousted most of the moderate Democrats. Which poses another huge issue when it comes to compromising, since Pelosi and Hoyer have firm control over their conference. So there really are no viable avenues of approach to get a deal going here, since "compromise" is more like "capitulation." Capitulation is a huge problem, because then you get back to the issue of a Tea Party coup. It's a vicious feedback loop and I'm not too sure most people understand just how paralyzed the House is right now.

Looking ahead of the CR, we've got 10, 15, maybe more Republicans who aren't going to vote for a debt ceiling raise no matter what. What are you supposed to do? I'm still wishing for that trillion dollar coin!

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 12:34:34

Looking ahead of the CR, we've got 10, 15, maybe more Republicans who aren't going to vote for a debt ceiling raise no matter what. What are you supposed to do? I'm still wishing for that trillion dollar coin!

Ah, the trillion dollar coin. Probably the best of the worst debt relief ideas ever. It will be locked up alone in the treasury forever.... and if it somehow gets into the wrong hands the world's economy will be totally screwed.

Shutdown, at this point, has about a 95% chance of occurring. They have three days to negotiate (Friday, Saturday, Monday) and the first two will be spent just getting the final bill to the house and preventing filibusters. The third we'll see the house reject it (which they vowed to do) or accept it with egregious conditions that will never pass the senate. The humanity!

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 12:39:49

Oh, and isn't this amusing.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 13:32:41

At 9/27/13 12:34 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Ah, the trillion dollar coin. Probably the best of the worst debt relief ideas ever. It will be locked up alone in the treasury forever.... and if it somehow gets into the wrong hands the world's economy will be totally screwed.

Exactly. It's the most fun option. Invoking the 14th is certainly the preferred approach, but that would be a long boring legal battle. Not very good for headlines. The coin, on the other hand...

Shutdown, at this point, has about a 95% chance of occurring. They have three days to negotiate (Friday, Saturday, Monday) and the first two will be spent just getting the final bill to the house and preventing filibusters. The third we'll see the house reject it (which they vowed to do) or accept it with egregious conditions that will never pass the senate. The humanity!

The amendment process happens before the vote on passing the CR. Both of those votes will be held on Saturday. They were set to be on Sunday, but the Senate unanimously voted in favor on advancing the Senate calendar one day. It is possible that the Senate will repeal the medical device tax and other tax related issues in exchange for a one week CR. Keystone pipeline authorization is another possibility.

Here's a good article that breaks down how the GOP have gerrymandered themselves into a situation where 80 representatives in the "Suicide Caucus" districts have an R+30 advantage, which results in the most hyperpartisan districts that elect Tea Party congressmen. The GOP leadership is Victor Frankenstein and they've created a monster.

It doesn't help that the public has bought into the GOP's lies. Only 10% of people think the deficit is getting smaller despite the dramatic drop the past two years.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 13:44:05

At 9/27/13 12:39 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Oh, and isn't this amusing.

It is, actually:

"On a Thursday conference call, a group of House conservatives consulted with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas about how to respond to the leadership’s fiscal strategy. Sources who were on the call say Cruz strongly advised them to oppose it, and hours later, Speaker John Boehner’s plan fizzled.

It’s the latest example of Cruz leading the House’s right flank.

The private call came together after Boehner unveiled his strategy at a Republican conference meeting earlier this week. Boehner’s plan — to focus on a debt-limit package, rather than a drawn-out CR battle — made many conservatives uneasy. As they mulled a response, they reached out to Cruz.

On the call, Cruz told them that Boehner was making a mistake, and urged his friends to fight until the end on the CR. The group agreed, and they complained that Boehner’s shift to the debt limit was a diversion. Senator Mike Lee of Utah joined Cruz on the call, and both senators said they’d stand with House conservatives as they opposed the leadership.

By the call’s end, there was a consensus: until the CR talks are complete, Republicans should whip “no” on Boehner’s debt-limit plan, as a way of preventing the leadership from directing the strategy. And that’s exactly what happened late Thursday afternoon: GOP whip Kevin McCarthy worked the floor, but couldn’t find the votes for Boehner’s debt-limit plan. After McCarthy reported back about the Cruz-inspired uprising, the leadership shelved it."

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 16:40:35

It doesn't help that the public has bought into the GOP's lies. Only 10% of people think the deficit is getting smaller despite the dramatic drop the past two years.

I mentioned that earlier, the bit about the ball rolling down the slope... but for some reason everyone thinks the deficit is being increased exponentially...

Ah, nice map. "Suicide Caucus" has a nice ring to it. Now the republicans don't need Obamacare's Death Panels, eh?

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 16:49:34

Here's a brilliant excerpt from the 19th hour of Cruz's speech:

“What we have here is our core values as Americans and Christians slipping away into this facade where we should take care of our poor, sick, and disabled. It is disheartening to know that the nation our forefathers built is no longer of importance to our president and his Democratic counterparts. Not only that, we are falling away from core Christian values. I don’t know about you, but I believe in the Jesus who died to save himself, not enable lazy followers to be dependent on him. He didn’t walk around all willy nilly just passing out free healthcare to those who were sick, or food to those who were hungry, or clothes to those in need. No, he said get up, brush yourself off, go into town and get a job, and as he hung on the cross he said, 'I died so that I may live in eternity with my Father. If you want to join us you can die for yourself and your own sins. What do I look like, your savior or something?' That’s the Jesus I want to see brought back into our core values as a nation. That’s why we need to repeal Obamacare.”

Your welcome.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 17:33:14

Did anyone actually believe anything would come of this?

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 22:06:36

At 9/26/13 11:44 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: Rather than have everyone all nervous about a "government shutdown," why don't we just get rid of all of the unnecessary federal agencies, bureaus, offices, etc.?

Because then you end up like Greece. Government spending stimulates the economy, I know to Conservatives and Libertarians that is like nails on a chalkboard to hear but it's true, the government employs people and firing them is like firing any other worker. When that happens the people then are not buying as much, so then other companies lose money as their customers are dwindling, then they fire workers who then also go on unemployment insurance and also pay less taxes. Then what happens? You cut your government spending but your revenue has also declined by alot more... so you cut spending again and again. This is what happened in Greece, after the Olympics in Athens they began to go into deficits and debt, the EU told them to get their books balanced and shit started to hit the fan especially after Goldman Sachs helped them hide their massive debt hole for a while. This is why Republicans go after welfare spending because of the belief that they're just doing nothing while sucking in government funds, if you cut off those funds then they'll be forced to get a job, which would then make it so that they pay taxes raising revenue and cutting spending. While it's not a great thing to hear cutting government jobs hurts the economy and is not something you do in a recession, it's something you do in an economic boom to curb inflation. Unfortunately the last time I recall anyone doing anything of the like was Al Gore with his plan to cut down on the government bureaucracy through retirements.

Economics isn't something people like to listen to though, even politicians who have degree's on it probably won't espouse such views in public since people don't like to hear such controversial stuff.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 23:17:29

At 9/27/13 10:06 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 9/26/13 11:44 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: Rather than have everyone all nervous about a "government shutdown," why don't we just get rid of all of the unnecessary federal agencies, bureaus, offices, etc.?
Because then you end up like Greece. Government spending stimulates the economy, I know to Conservatives and Libertarians that is like nails on a chalkboard to hear but it's true, the government employs people and firing them is like firing any other worker. When that happens the people then are not buying as much, so then other companies lose money as their customers are dwindling, then they fire workers who then also go on unemployment insurance and also pay less taxes. Then what happens? You cut your government spending but your revenue has also declined by alot more... so you cut spending again and again. This is what happened in Greece, after the Olympics in Athens they began to go into deficits and debt, the EU told them to get their books balanced and shit started to hit the fan especially after Goldman Sachs helped them hide their massive debt hole for a while. This is why Republicans go after welfare spending because of the belief that they're just doing nothing while sucking in government funds, if you cut off those funds then they'll be forced to get a job, which would then make it so that they pay taxes raising revenue and cutting spending. While it's not a great thing to hear cutting government jobs hurts the economy and is not something you do in a recession, it's something you do in an economic boom to curb inflation. Unfortunately the last time I recall anyone doing anything of the like was Al Gore with his plan to cut down on the government bureaucracy through retirements.

Economics isn't something people like to listen to though, even politicians who have degree's on it probably won't espouse such views in public since people don't like to hear such controversial stuff.

I was fully conscious of the probability of lost jobs when I made the post. I'm not saying "Oh, go ahead and end all these agencies, right now, at the same time." Would there be short-term economic impact? Sure. But in the long term, government spending would be knocked back down, and the revenue saved from not having to fund these ridiculous agencies would allow for tax cuts, which would allow for people to spend more money, which would allow for business expansion and the creation of more jobs, therefore giving the unemployed government workers a chance to find work. Then there's the possibility for businesses to take care of funding college and training for their employees as well. Even with reduced taxes, I couldn't see the spending getting as out of control as it already is. Keynesian economics have been proven to not work. Why people constantly see that economic system is good is beyond me (not taking a shot at you there personally, just people in general)

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 23:30:06

At 9/27/13 11:17 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: I was fully conscious of the probability of lost jobs when I made the post. I'm not saying "Oh, go ahead and end all these agencies, right now, at the same time." Would there be short-term economic impact? Sure. But in the long term, government spending would be knocked back down, and the revenue saved from not having to fund these ridiculous agencies would allow for tax cuts, which would allow for people to spend more money, which would allow for business expansion and the creation of more jobs, therefore giving the unemployed government workers a chance to find work.

Not exactly. Government spending has a greater effect on the economy than cutting taxes. The reason being that whereas the government spends all of its money, people save a portion of theirs. Thus if you cut taxes by 5,000$ and cut spending by 5000$ you still have a negative net effect. Even then these agencies only make a tiny portion of the government so this won't really even dent the deficit.

Then there's the possibility for businesses to take care of funding college and training for their employees as well. Even with reduced taxes, I couldn't see the spending getting as out of control as it already is.

You're assuming the government wouldn't willingly going into a deficit, we're like deep in debt and it has had no effect on us. Generally what you do is you cut taxes and increase spending in a recession, then raise taxes and cut spending in an economic boom, that way you get the economy going and you curb on inflation all the while paying off that debt you incurred. That said those theories assumed you would be able to pass some sort of budget which Congress is incapable of.

Keynesian economics have been proven to not work. Why people constantly see that economic system is good is beyond me (not taking a shot at you there personally, just people in general)

Oh no it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be the best model for economic systems, it isn't perfect but it's much better than the other models which couldn't explain economics as well. Everyone's a Keynesian essentially, it's the basis of modern left wing and right wing economics because it's simply correct. The fight is over, pure Classical Economics is gone. We tried going back to that under Carter with his monetarist appointments to the Federal Reserve, but Reagan's Conservative Keynesian Supply Side economics ended up winning the day.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 23:30:13

At 9/27/13 04:49 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Your welcome.

What about the Jesus who gave the poor bread and fish? He was an impostor, right?

Also, Cruz would have me, yes ME, begging for scraps on the side of the road to pay for my healthcare (at upwards of $30,000 a month) if I was able to even afford it and be alive today, and he has the GALL to call himself Christian? There's a sad and sorry place in Hell for people like him.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-27 23:47:52

At 9/27/13 11:30 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 9/27/13 11:17 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: I was fully conscious of the probability of lost jobs when I made the post. I'm not saying "Oh, go ahead and end all these agencies, right now, at the same time." Would there be short-term economic impact? Sure. But in the long term, government spending would be knocked back down, and the revenue saved from not having to fund these ridiculous agencies would allow for tax cuts, which would allow for people to spend more money, which would allow for business expansion and the creation of more jobs, therefore giving the unemployed government workers a chance to find work.
Not exactly. Government spending has a greater effect on the economy than cutting taxes. The reason being that whereas the government spends all of its money, people save a portion of theirs. Thus if you cut taxes by 5,000$ and cut spending by 5000$ you still have a negative net effect. Even then these agencies only make a tiny portion of the government so this won't really even dent the deficit.

Well yes, clearly if the government cuts their spending it will have a greater effect on the debt. That's what I'm saying we need to do here. Reduce government spending, not continue to increase it as we've done. While we're at it, reduce military spending as well. It's not like we have the most powerful military forces in the world or anything *end sarcasm*

Then there's the possibility for businesses to take care of funding college and training for their employees as well. Even with reduced taxes, I couldn't see the spending getting as out of control as it already is.
You're assuming the government wouldn't willingly going into a deficit, we're like deep in debt and it has had no effect on us. Generally what you do is you cut taxes and increase spending in a recession, then raise taxes and cut spending in an economic boom, that way you get the economy going and you curb on inflation all the while paying off that debt you incurred. That said those theories assumed you would be able to pass some sort of budget which Congress is incapable of.

Sure, there may have been no effect yet, but what is to happen in the future, as the debt continues to increase and increase? Eventually, someone is going to come calling for their money. I will agree with you in the handling of an economic boom. There are times when taxes need to be raised in an effort to curb inflation. To increase government spending in a recession is, to me, counterproductive.

Keynesian economics have been proven to not work. Why people constantly see that economic system is good is beyond me (not taking a shot at you there personally, just people in general)
Oh no it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be the best model for economic systems, it isn't perfect but it's much better than the other models which couldn't explain economics as well. Everyone's a Keynesian essentially, it's the basis of modern left wing and right wing economics because it's simply correct. The fight is over, pure Classical Economics is gone. We tried going back to that under Carter with his monetarist appointments to the Federal Reserve, but Reagan's Conservative Keynesian Supply Side economics ended up winning the day.

I respectfully disagree. The best bet is to follow the Austrian School model of allowing the free market to regulate credit expansion, and allowing it to clear out bad investments accordingly. All political attempts to handle a recession do is lengthen the duration of the recession, and then pass the bill on to the next generation, and the next one, and the next one. Just take a look at the response of the Harding Administration to the Depression of 1920-21 for examples of the successes of the Austrian School. With regards to the current credit problems, the Austrians have been raising red flags and predicting the collapse for years. Keynesians asserted over and over that there was no credit problem, and the politicians followed them instead. Now, here we are.

(Also, off topic, I really hope this post doesn't come out totally butchered. This quoting system confuses the hell out of me, haha)

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-28 14:54:05

At 9/27/13 10:06 PM, Warforger wrote: Government spending stimulates the economy

If that is the case, then why haven't these trillion dollar deficits over the past 4-5 years fixed our economy? Why is the labor force as small as it was in the 1970s? Why can't I get a job nearly two years after getting a Master's Degree in an engineering field? The only kind of people who can't get jobs with engineering Masters are worthless, lazy deadbeats who will never amount to anything in their life!!!

Now, to be honest, government spending can be stimulative. But for it to work, it has to be used properly. As far as I know, a lot of that massive spending has gone to waste or the money has been used to make the rich richer. That's right, these Democrats, the so-called "defenders of the middle class," have put more money in the hands of the wealthy (along with the government-dependent poor). Now the Republicans haven't been any better with money. Yes, including Dubya, who I believe got shot in the head and was unharmed except for two holes in his head and a vast, empty cave in between.

It depends on how the money is spent. And right now, neither party is willing to do it right.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-28 15:49:52

At 9/27/13 11:47 PM, AmateurPsychonaut wrote: Well yes, clearly if the government cuts their spending it will have a greater effect on the debt.

The thing this is what Greece did, and their debt became worse because their revenue declined due to the negative effect on the economy.

Sure, there may have been no effect yet, but what is to happen in the future, as the debt continues to increase and increase? Eventually, someone is going to come calling for their money.

The thing is we are paying it back, the US government remains the only real safe investment. Also keep in mind most of our debt is owned by private individuals and foreign debt only makes up a smaller percentage of it.

I will agree with you in the handling of an economic boom. There are times when taxes need to be raised in an effort to curb inflation. To increase government spending in a recession is, to me, counterproductive.

Increasing government spending either creates jobs or it gives it to people who then spend it which creates jobs.

I respectfully disagree.
The best bet is to follow the Austrian School model of allowing the free market to regulate credit expansion, and allowing it to clear out bad investments accordingly. All political attempts to handle a recession do is lengthen the duration of the recession, and then pass the bill on to the next generation, and the next one, and the next one. Just take a look at the response of the Harding Administration to the Depression of 1920-21 for examples of the successes of the Austrian School.

Most of the depression was under Wilson's term (the President does not take office until January 21st a year after the election, this depression lasted until July so Harding wasn;t the only one responsible). It was a rather special recession regardless caused by a large cut in defense spending and the economy's readjusting to peace time production. Essentially there was a recession because a flood of soldiers came home looking for work, this caused the average wage to spiral downwards causing prices to decreases. When prices are lower producers don't like to sell, but since wages were also pretty low it eventually fixed itself out and people were back on track towards healthy inflation. All Harding did was let Hoover gather a conference of all the leaders of the economy to work together and a huge anti-Austrian school tactic of passing more tariffs. This is vastly different from the Great Depression or the 2008 crisis.

With regards to the current credit problems, the Austrians have been raising red flags and predicting the collapse for years. Keynesians asserted over and over that there was no credit problem, and the politicians followed them instead. Now, here we are.

As far as I know all I've ever heard from the Austrians was "hyperinflation coming soon, invest in gold its price will store the value of your money as its value increases!", well gold kinda failed as the price began to decrease recently and no hyperinflation occurred. As for credit, what exactly do you mean? The Credit Card system works just fine, if you mean the housing crisis well that was another can of worms. That was the Free Market allowing for a few people to get rich while they crash the economy. If I understand it correctly, investment and commercial banks merged, these banks then began to make home loans and then begin to make more loans to riskier and riskier investments all so that they may take over their homes. The banks did this without that many people noticing by getting crediting agencies to label those investments as safe. Since homes were constantly increasing in value this would make the banks net worth go up. Then when the banks took over too many homes they began to get into a huge supply increase, causing their prices to decrease. Right before this the CEO's gave themselves millions of dollars in bonuses in an attempt to siphon as many funds as they could before their banks went in the shitter.

This was coupled with a huge increase in the price of gas which caused stagflation in places like California. In general though saying things like "the Banks will fail", "the economy is going to go into a recession" or "mass unemployment in the future" is like saying "there's going to be a hurricane somewhere on the East Coast" or "there's going to be a massive natural disaster killing many people somewhere in America" or "A President will be elected who people don't like", yah it's going to happen because it tends to happen alot. You can find similar people like Lyndon LaRoche the anti-semitic crazed conspiracy theorist saying things like "the banks will fail".

Now this had little to do with either economic ideology, banks thought that they thrive from taking the assets of people who had in the past declared bankruptcy and make huge profits. The government wasn't spending money in the economy for this to happen nor was it really doing anything (people argue that it was the fact that the government was not enforcing its regulations and shooting down the people who tried to sue these corporations for their violations of these regulations that caused the crisis though but that can go either way).

But this isn't disproving what I said, this isn't the Keynesian school v. Austrian, what I was saying was that Keynesian economics were so good that every modern school of economics is at least influenced by them. I mean obviously not everyone believes everything Keynesian economics espouses, but they do argue conclusions based off of them. By this I mean Supply Side economics are still Keynesian, it's just instead of calling for more government spending they instead call for government support of industries, giving them tax breaks, removing regulations etc. so that they decrease the cost of production and allow them to produce more all the while decreasing inflation. It's hard to explain this without a Aggragate Supply graph but that's outside the point.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-28 16:06:43

At 9/28/13 02:54 PM, Th-e wrote: If that is the case, then why haven't these trillion dollar deficits over the past 4-5 years fixed our economy? Why is the labor force as small as it was in the 1970s?

We don't have trillion dollar DEFICITS, we have a trillion dollar debt not deficit. That and because government spending has contracted, not expanded (especially after the sequester), under Obama because of the idea that the Private sector will create a net increase in jobs. While the private sector did increase it wasn't enough to outpace the loss in public sector jobs, so that didn't work out.

Why can't I get a job nearly two years after getting a Master's Degree in an engineering field? The only kind of people who can't get jobs with engineering Masters are worthless, lazy deadbeats who will never amount to anything in their life!!!

I don't know, maybe the engineering field is saturated by people who think that simply having an engineering degree means that they can get a job easily. There are actually alot of open jobs, it's just there are not enough people who have the appropriate skill set like a Liberal Arts degree. It's why some art degree's are one of the few programs a university offers which guarantee's employment after graduation in that particular field. This is all speculative and you can try to find the answer yourself by asking people who didn't hire you why they didn't hire you (they usually tell you) because I wouldn't know.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-28 16:13:22

The House will probably pass a new amended funding measure—with changes including a one-year delay in the health-care law and permanently repealing a medical-device tax included in the law. With the Senate unlikely to pass this new measure, shutdown is now likely.

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-28 18:06:17

At 9/28/13 04:06 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 9/28/13 02:54 PM, Th-e wrote: If that is the case, then why haven't these trillion dollar deficits over the past 4-5 years fixed our economy? Why is the labor force as small as it was in the 1970s?
We don't have trillion dollar DEFICITS, we have a trillion dollar debt not deficit. That and because government spending has contracted, not expanded (especially after the sequester), under Obama because of the idea that the Private sector will create a net increase in jobs. While the private sector did increase it wasn't enough to outpace the loss in public sector jobs, so that didn't work out.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/Content/GIF/fed_receipt_sum_historical.gif

Scrolling down we see Deficits in excess of 1 Trillion from 09 to 012, They are projected to fall below 1 trillion in 2013, assuming the economy continues to do what it's been doing for the last few years.

Total Outlays per year starting in 2009 [in billions]

3517.7, 3456.2, 3603.1, 3537.1

Projected... 3684.9, 3777.8, 3903.2, 4089.8, 4247.4, 4449.2

We are instructed to treat this period as a period of government contraction. 2009 was in absolute terms a historic high in spending. 2010 saw a decrease of 1.7% then an increase of a little over 4%, then then a decrease of 1.8%, All subsequent federal spendings involve annualized increases of somewhere between 3 and 4 percent per year. Deficits are projected to close on the assumption that tax revenues will grow at roughly double the annualized rate of federal spending increases.

You can look at this one of two ways. One is that since 2009 we have been living in an era of great federal austerity, since there has been relatively little net increase from 2009 to 2012. Or that federal spending is at a historic high but has been temporarily halted.

I don't know, maybe the engineering field is saturated by people who think that simply having an engineering degree means that they can get a job easily. There are actually alot of open jobs, it's just there are not enough people who have the appropriate skill set like a Liberal Arts degree.

Are you calling a liberal arts degree an appropriate skill set? Before I show you my data perhaps you'd like to show me yours.

At any rate a more plausible set of non-counter-propositional explanations:

1. The University the individual went to was not reputable
2. He majored in a Particular type of Engineering he majored in was saturated or on the decline [Aerospace is an example]
3. Simply bad luck, since no degree has an unemployment rate of 0%

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-29 08:23:50

The House passed another CR that delays Obamacare for one year, in exchange for a CR that funds the government for 3 months. See? They're compromising!

This means the hot potato is now in the Senate. The Senate will not reconvene until Monday afternoon. Where will it wind up when we shut down? Will Congress Bread Bad on Monday night?

BBS Signature

Response to Government Shutdown 2013 2013-09-29 08:28:31

At 9/29/13 08:23 AM, Feoric wrote: Will Congress Bread Bad on Monday night?

I meant Break Bad, but if Congress were bread it would definitely be white bread, made from refined refined white flour, which is definitely bad for you. So in the end it all works out.

BBS Signature