00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Grounds Rebellion

10,291 Views | 151 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 04:25:07

Roster update. We've added a programmer.:)

Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 13:02:37

At 4/29/13 04:25 AM, greyhawk241 wrote: Roster update. We've added a programmer.:)

Feel free to use APFG game engine its free and open source under GPL V3 and its a fighting game engine https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 13:08:42

I'm still in for the project, but I'm gonna go ahead and help out a bit by saying a few things. It's good to have motivation to get it done, but read this and tell me if somethings wrong.

"Hey guys! I've got an idea and I want it to be amazing. I can do writing and supply ideas and be the director. Here are the requirements:

Free-flowing combos
Detailed animation
Large Character Roster
Ludicrous Hyper-combos
Amazing soundtrack
Infinite Replay value
Engrossing Story-line"

See the problem? If not, the problem is, you're asking for a lot.
Having free-flowing combos is difficult. Being creative enough to invent hypercombos can be hard. Detailed animation is pretty tough. And with a huge roster, it's even tougher. And you're not contributing much to it aside from "directing". I'm still on the team, but I've worked with teams like this in the past and it did not end well.

I hope this doesnt end the same.

E

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 13:39:53

At 4/29/13 01:08 PM, Chongo wrote: I'm still in for the project, but I'm gonna go ahead and help out a bit by saying a few things. It's good to have motivation to get it done, but read this and tell me if somethings wrong.

"Hey guys! I've got an idea and I want it to be amazing. I can do writing and supply ideas and be the director. Here are the requirements:

Free-flowing combos
Detailed animation
Large Character Roster
Ludicrous Hyper-combos
Amazing soundtrack
Infinite Replay value
Engrossing Story-line"

See the problem? If not, the problem is, you're asking for a lot.
Having free-flowing combos is difficult. Being creative enough to invent hypercombos can be hard. Detailed animation is pretty tough. And with a huge roster, it's even tougher. And you're not contributing much to it aside from "directing". I'm still on the team, but I've worked with teams like this in the past and it did not end well.

I hope this doesnt end the same.

You make an excellent point good sir. Perhaps I let my excitement get the better of me. What I meant by "Free-flowing" combat, was simply that I'd love to be able to have at least a few characters whose combos can cancel out into one another.

By "Ludicrous Hyper-Combos" I simply meant that every character should have one-or-two good ol' fashioned flashy moves, ya dig?

Other than that, thank you for your input, and have a great day.

Oh and, I feel your pain man, I've been on plenty of projects that have fallen through....However, I've also been a part of plenty that were a success! :D With you, and the rest of this epic crews help, we shall pull off a MAJOR success story!

Hey there, if your character lacks a voice, I will help to put words in their mouths.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 13:44:42

Hey there folks, a quick update. The initial launch of this game has a set-in-stone character roster count. 30 fighters (15 Users, 15 Corrupted). This way our roster is large, but do-able. Anywho, I had a recent discussion with one of our team members, and his questions really helped to flesh out the final product.

1-"Will there be a free roam aspect, with exploration and hidden items and such."

Being that this is a 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3 fighting game (primarily) it is more likely that we will indeed have that as a side thing, in story mode.

2- "Will there be side quests for the player where they can gain new skills, equipment etc."
Yes, there will be a challenge mode of sorts (Ala Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl. Do X in X amount of time, do X under certain conditions, etc.)! This will unlock alt. costumes, hidden stages, and all sorts of good thangs!

3- "Will there be monsters or will it be solely human character Vs. Human character."

The roster of fighters are all humans (well, humanoid at least, Think Guilty Gear or Blaz Blue for Inspiration). However, there shall be monsters/demons/all sorts of hellish beings known as "Corrupted" in Story mode.

4- "How sick and twisted can I make their back stories (One character I wrote is a victim of abuse and escapes to the game as an outlet to their pain)."

That is an excellent concept, and should ABSOLUTELY make it into the final product!!!!!!! Perhaps as a member on the side of the Corrupted? Also, we're going for a hard-T rating (mainly so that we can sell to a wider audience). We can definitely push the boundaries with a mature storyline, but as for shit-tons of gore, leave that to Mortal Kombat. :P

5- "Will the game have it's own story inside the story for our game, like we have the story where the trolls attack, but will the game that Tom developed have it's own story."
Yes indeed, the game is the very world that gets corrupted in the first place, and is what drags all of our fighters in.

6- "Character customization (This is less of a question pertaining to the game, I'm just curious). How big will the customization aspect be? Like character clothing, skills etc."

After talking it over with one of my animators recently, it's become clear that building a separate Character Custimization tool would be a HUGE pain. Instead, we are going to have the artists that want to add characters animate it themselves, and then we will smooth-out, and polish it, and get it working in our final product. :)
As for skills, the more you use a character, the more of their skills you unlock. Alt. costumes and the like shall all be designed by us.

Well, I hope that clears up a great deal for yeah, have a fantastic day!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 13:49:33

I was wondering what do you think of the game engine I am using for APFG http://mlpforums.com/topic/49011-awesome-pony-fighting-game/
the APFG Game Engine https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG it is made from scratch

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 15:14:06

At 4/29/13 01:49 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering what do you think of the game engine I am using for APFG http://mlpforums.com/topic/49011-awesome-pony-fighting-game/

It's a very nice engine, though I wonder, could we use it to make a fighter that had 2-d characters on 3-d backgrounds?

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 15:39:23

I do not use APFG, but Flash. As for your question, yes, but it's not going to be fully 3D but an image, of course. Also, will it be a platformer or a beat'em'up style (See my sig)?

It shall be neither good sir, but more akin to this:

http://youtu.be/wneMdNs6yNs

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 16:45:40

If Egoraptor becomes a playable character, his hypercombo should be to leave the arena and make Game Grumps.

E

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 16:48:20

At 4/29/13 03:14 PM, greyhawk241 wrote:
At 4/29/13 01:49 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering what do you think of the game engine I am using for APFG http://mlpforums.com/topic/49011-awesome-pony-fighting-game/
It's a very nice engine, though I wonder, could we use it to make a fighter that had 2-d characters on 3-d backgrounds?

It has a shader that gives the allusion of 3D. Also wouldn't HTML5 be better . From what I heard flash is pretty buggy and hard to use .Wouldn't it be better to use Torque 2d which is free and open source under MIT or Construct 2.
If we use APFG Engine which is under GPL V3 we will have more freedom to do whatever we want with the Engine and we could report issues in the issues section https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG/issues and fix them quickly.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 20:40:19

At 4/29/13 04:45 PM, Chongo wrote: If Egoraptor becomes a playable character, his hypercombo should be to leave the arena and make Game Grumps.

Hahahaha, BRILLIANT!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-29 21:01:19

Hey there folks here's a quick team- roster update:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPjypTfvO2ZqeTOorXzruK7d zsYpzYjbvYWJQv4N8mA/edit

I hope you are all doing well. :)

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 00:03:02

Here's a quick promotional video in honor of all of you fine folks. From beginning to end, this project is nothing without you guys! :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiD5gmZTMRs

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 01:34:32

At 4/29/13 09:01 PM, greyhawk241 wrote: Hey there folks here's a quick team- roster update:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPjypTfvO2ZqeTOorXzruK7d zsYpzYjbvYWJQv4N8mA/edit

You can add me as a voice actor. Should be fun!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 01:50:45

At 4/30/13 01:34 AM, pooterjon wrote:
At 4/29/13 09:01 PM, greyhawk241 wrote: Hey there folks here's a quick team- roster update:

You can add me as a voice actor. Should be fun!

You've got it! Welcome to the team!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 02:15:01

This is cool. Can't wait to start sketching out ideas.
Whats happening so far in terms of who's doing what?

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 06:41:00

I want my character in it going to commission someone to draw him.
By the way have you taught about recruiting people from the art section http://www.newgrounds.com/art

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 15:15:31

At 4/30/13 02:15 AM, Antiskill wrote: This is cool. Can't wait to start sketching out ideas.
Whats happening so far in terms of who's doing what?

This should give ya a good idea on who's assigned to do what. :)

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 15:44:30

Ill throw down as a voice actor

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 21:35:54

So I'm just going to throw mah two cents in...

1. I think we should simmer down the roster from 30 characters to a fewer. I can't say how many less, but we should consider the hard work that'll go into making 1 detailed character. (JUST REMEMBER, SkullGirls needed to raise a ton of money just to add 4 characters to their game, and Super Smash Bros N64 started off with a strong 12 characters)

2. I believe that aspects of the game (like background stories, free roam, exploration, challenge mode, customization) should come second from our initial gameplay, I don't think it is a good idea for us to count our chickens before they've hatched, you know? If our gameplay is flawed, no one will care about story mode or customization. Tom Fulp's Cathode Raybots, for example, gets straight to the gameplay.

Now, I am by no mean trying to discourage anyone, but this is a huge beast of game, that can make us or break us.

I think we should begin with a detailed layout of the gameplay,

-CONCEPT DESIGNERS, PROGRAMMERS: should discuss, in detail, what will be occurring in a single match (EXAMPLE: low attack, med attack, high attack, block, special etc.) as well as UI (EXAMPLE: Character's hubs, menu icons, etc.) Once that is covered, to the last specific, you pass the info to the animators, and programmers get started on an engine, knowing what to design.

--ANIMATORS: tell us our boundaries and our freedoms (EXAMPLE: characters can't be bigger than the screen lol, etc.) tell us what animations we need (EXAMPLE: icons, idle, attack 1, etc.) we should then create a checklist of animations ranging from easy animations to more difficult, where then the animators can check off, one by one, what animations are done and which ones need to be finished, giving the entire team an outlook on our process.

ANYWAYS :D

this is just whats going through in my head, only because I feel that this is an AWESOME idea and I don't want us to just blow it off...

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 21:55:59

At 4/30/13 09:35 PM, skullzNHERO wrote:

this is just whats going through in my head, only because I feel that this is an AWESOME idea and I don't want us to just blow it off...

I agree with every single point you made here. We need to keep this simple and have a good line of communication.
Everyone within each individual task should get together and discuss all possibilities and ideas to help narrow down the concepts so that we can cut out the fluff and start working on a nice well polished.

Good game examples btw. I've been thinking about those games in comparison to this one myself.

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-04-30 22:22:22

At 4/30/13 09:55 PM, StaticBlu wrote:
At 4/30/13 09:35 PM, skullzNHERO wrote:

I agree with every single point you made here. We need to keep this simple and have a good line of communication.
Everyone within each individual task should get together and discuss all possibilities and ideas to help narrow down the concepts so that we can cut out the fluff and start working on a nice well polished.

Good game examples btw. I've been thinking about those games in comparison to this one myself.

Thank you, kind sir!

A short, well polished, finely designed flash game will KILL a long, poorly adjusted game.

We wanna make this an awesome game

I know we can do it!

Dont' be a newt!

New Grounds Rebellion

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 03:32:29

<--animator . i say the characters should be designed with less details. the more details in the character , the more it's gonna kill us XD

spread the word!!!

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 12:26:43

At 5/1/13 03:32 AM, pinoytoons wrote: <--animator . i say the characters should be designed with less details. the more details in the character , the more it's gonna kill us XD

What would be some examples?

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 15:57:20

Everyone, PLEASE LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!

SkullzNHero makes some very good points! :)

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 17:04:28

Hey, guys. Just to let you know, if you got a random invite to a testing project area, that was me, and it was for the Newgrounds Rebellion project we're working on. Soooooo yeah, my bad for the confusion! XD

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 17:12:37

Everyone on the team, please look at the current team-member roster:

We're gonna need to start breaking down into teams. :) So folks, the easiest way to communicate is via Skype. Mine is Greyhawk241.

It's time to boot this project into PHASE 1.

Thank you all.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 17:14:10

Whoops. It would help if I actually posted the roster, huh? :P

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 17:17:56

At 5/1/13 05:04 PM, geniebmusic wrote: Hey, guys. Just to let you know, if you got a random invite to a testing project area, that was me, and it was for the Newgrounds Rebellion project we're working on. Soooooo yeah, my bad for the confusion! XD

Oh wow, that's what that was?! :O Thank you SO MUCH!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Rebellion 2013-05-01 17:40:36

At 5/1/13 05:17 PM, greyhawk241 wrote:
At 5/1/13 05:04 PM, geniebmusic wrote: Hey, guys. Just to let you know, if you got a random invite to a testing project area, that was me, and it was for the Newgrounds Rebellion project we're working on. Soooooo yeah, my bad for the confusion! XD
Oh wow, that's what that was?! :O Thank you SO MUCH!

LOL you're welcome xD That doesn't eliminate the collaboration meeting obstacle though. We still need to come to agreement on that :/