00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Picking the right VSTi for modding?

1,221 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello!
I use Prologue on Cubase and I've just recently started learning more about how to reall use ocilators and such (prior this I just fidgetet with them and listened how it sounds).

Now I'm curious on where do you people start before you go all knob-crazy? What's the core fundamental for choosing what instrument to start modding?

Once again I apologize if my stoopid question and improper term use drive you nuts, curse of being self-learned :P

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to Picking the right VSTi for modding? 2013-04-19 01:04:50

At 4/19/13 12:42 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Hello!
I use Prologue on Cubase and I've just recently started learning more about how to reall use ocilators and such (prior this I just fidgetet with them and listened how it sounds).

Now I'm curious on where do you people start before you go all knob-crazy? What's the core fundamental for choosing what instrument to start modding?
Once again I apologize if my stoopid question and improper term use drive you nuts, curse of being self-learned :P

Any synth where the default patch is just a sine wave is a good start.
Alternatively, you can make your own using something like SynthEdit and then you'll learn not only what stuff sounds like, but how everything in a synth is connected.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Picking the right VSTi for modding? 2013-04-19 16:02:07

Like ^he^ said, start with a basic Sine. (Like in massive, use the defualt "new" patch). Then I just select oscillators and tweak em. Any synth should have a default sine/preset to begin with. Just mod it from there, and see how you like it.

Response to Picking the right VSTi for modding? 2013-04-19 17:19:55

At 4/19/13 12:42 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Now I'm curious on where do you people start before you go all knob-crazy?

FYI, in England, your knob is your penis.

Now that that's out in the open (so to speak), back to the subject at hand.
When you want to learn a new synth, first you should study a ton of default patches and modify small things to see what each part changes. Take what you learn from that to make your own patches.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Picking the right VSTi for modding? 2013-04-20 13:01:47

Great advice people!
I've actually been picking presets and tweaking from there, silly me. Never knew there was a "new patch option" :D

Stay in school

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.