00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Forbzy2001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound.

671 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound. 2013-04-13 22:14:42

Earthbound or Mother 2 for SNES is one my favorite games of all time. Yes, all of time...

Anyway, after several playthroughs as a kid and adult(?) I feel as if there is a deeper message or messages in this game. There is alot of crazy symbolism in this game.

Wondering if anyone else had any thoughts, comments, or observations?

Exploring the stranger side of life...

www.indianakairos.wordpress.com

Response to Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound. 2013-04-14 12:40:14

Well, there's the battle with Giygas that seems to hint at the abortion of a baby. There's also the story about the producer or one of the writers or whatever who once walked into a theatre as a little kid and witnessed a rape scene on screen. Supposedly he got the inspiration for the final battle from that experience.

Other than that, the game contains loads of references to (Western) pop culture but I think that's really about it when it comes to contend that's aimed at the more mature players. It could be that there's a hidden meaning behind the game, but I never discovered it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound. 2013-04-15 11:05:36

Yeah, that Giygas part is weird. There are all sorts of theories on that one. There is one about where by defeating Giygas, you "abort" the universe. I dunno..

The game just has symbolism, whether intentional or not towards what some people call esoteric knowledge. Or maybe that's just me thinking this..

Poo's training in Muu, enemies like the ego orb...there's a bunch of it all over the game. Sometimes I think the story of the game is just a vehicle to display some concepts. And to me the story doesn't actually start to move until near the end once you go to Stonehenge and rescue Apple Kid and all that stuff. Yeah..I'm blabbing.

Exploring the stranger side of life...

www.indianakairos.wordpress.com

Response to Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound. 2013-04-15 16:37:54

in the room where you fight five cops, thats supposed to represent the whole rodney king fiasco.

rodney king got beaten down by 5 cops.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Esoteric knowledge in Earthbound. 2013-04-15 19:35:32

I didn't play Earthbound as a kid, but just recently I got around to giving the game a go. It seems like a fantastic game, but it's not really my cup of tea. I'm not sure if it was the strange psychedelic battle sequences that turned me off, or if it was the odd disturbing feeling that the game gave me. Either way, the notion of abortion is by far one of the most disturbing things I think I've ever come across in a game. It's also been said that the game draws parallels between nature and industrialization. Very deep messages indeed.

It's really a shame that I can't get into the game more. If I had picked it up at an earlier age perhaps my perspective would be different...

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature