00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xenbonzacura just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain?

1,496 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-11 23:41:18

Hey guys, I'm not 100% this is the best place to post this, but I really wanted input and advice from musicians like myself. And in that sense, this is definitely the best place on Newgrounds!

About two years ago, I was diagnosed with tendonitis in both hands. It was mostly centered in my wrists, but my fingers suffer from it as well. Since then, I've seen a few doctors and went through a couple of months of therapy too. I've also had to reduce myself in indulging in music for only a short period of time before having to stop again to rest and heal. Needless to say, this has been very...frustrating, especially since I've even had to change my career goals because of it.

I've tried medicine (anti-inflammatory), massages, soaking in warm water... but it never changes. I start back playing keyboard for a couple of weeks, then BAM. It's back. And then I have stop for a couple weeks (or sometimes months) and...yeah.

So, my NG family, have you found any special ways of combating hand pains from playing, recording, etc.? Or have anyways of coping with it? I've just gotten back into playing and have even submitted audio on here for the first time. I've really enjoyed the community and want to keep producing pieces, but am worried that I won't be able to overcome this condition.

Any input would be appreciated. :)

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 02:20:53

maybe your body is telling you that you're so bad it actually hurts! haha just kidding

in all seriousness i agree with Braiton. Maybe you're not using proper techniques therefore causing too much stress on your wrists.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 05:46:13

Maybe a wrong technique? a wrong position of the hands on keyboard/ piano would do that.
Try to see a classical piano teacher for a correct technique and a doctor if the problem persists.

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 08:09:39

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the next step would be see a teacher like most of you have suggested. What's weird is that I've played for a few already and I haven't been questioned on my technique...I don't think I'll be going to the doctor anytime soon though. Last time I went, he simple said, "If you want to stop the pain, stop doing what causes it." Lol

I'll see if I can get some lessons over the summer. Thanks for the input!

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 13:08:21

At 4/12/13 08:09 AM, Aikata wrote: Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the next step would be see a teacher like most of you have suggested. What's weird is that I've played for a few already and I haven't been questioned on my technique...I don't think I'll be going to the doctor anytime soon though. Last time I went, he simple said, "If you want to stop the pain, stop doing what causes it." Lol

I'll see if I can get some lessons over the summer. Thanks for the input!

If you do get some lessons, try to get some with a piano professor at a university rather than a general private teacher. Some private teachers are great, but you don't have to be that good to get away with teaching piano. I'm the recipient of a few years of less-than-stellar piano lessons, and I suffered a bit as a result.

In the meantime, try to see how your arms are moving when you are playing. Do your fingers ever completely straighten out? Are you bending your wrists up and down when you play? Either one of these can cause some wrist pain, and if you are doing these, try to play using your shoulders more, and by rotating your hands rather than bending them up and down. Also, check your posture. Make sure you aren't playing down into the piano by your lap. move the piano bench a little ways away and play with your arms extended (but not quite zombie-like). Lower the bench a bit until you're forced to sink into the keys with your arms rather than your wrists.

Hope that helps! If you are doing the extreme opposite of any of these that could be why the pain is happening as well, but these are certainly some common mistakes.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 13:54:14

I can't believe nobody's made a tasteless masturbation joke yet. Seriously, I'm disappointed!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 17:38:55

Hey again Aikata,

I actually have suffered with tendonitis for a few years myself although it tends to be focused near my ankles and knees.

Take two fish oil capsules per day. It will help to greatly reduce the inflammation.

Make sure that when you practice with your arms at about a 45 degree angle. You are going to cut off your circulation if you practice with "doggy" paws (meaning your wrists are closer to your shoulders).

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 17:40:25

WAIT (Mod feel free to edit this) I meant 90 degree.

90 degree angle, not 45.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 21:55:18

At 4/12/13 05:40 PM, frootza wrote: WAIT (Mod feel free to edit this) I meant 90 degree.

90 degree angle, not 45.

I would say 90 degrees OR GREATER, there are a number of schools of thought on that.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for Overcoming Wrist Pain? 2013-04-12 22:13:09

At 4/12/13 05:38 PM, frootza wrote:
Take two fish oil capsules per day. It will help to greatly reduce the inflammation.

Fish oil capsules eh? That'll be a first for me. I'll look into it!