00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Niightmare69 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is Mario Sunshine underrated...

2,896 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

...Compared to the other great Mario titles? Whenever I see a best Mario game thread these are the top contenders:
The original Mario Bros
Mario 3
Mario World
Mario 64
Mario galaxy
and Mario galaxy 2.
I rarely ever see Sunshine mentioned and it's usually only once and nobody seems to agree, but whoever says the others gets laid by anyone who agrees. So why is such a great game so underrated compared to these? I can play with the big dogs and should deserve more attention.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 17:03:51

What? People didn't like Sunshine? That's new to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 17:22:01

At 4/11/13 05:03 PM, Pkmn2 wrote: What? People didn't like Sunshine? That's new to me.

It's not that they don't like it, it's that I never see it pop up whne talking about great MArio games, hell even the Mario KArt series seems to get more praise than it!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 17:30:41

Because it doesn't have the nostalgia of the older games, it's not as revolutionary as 64 and not as fun as Galaxy. When it's not a milestone and just flat out not as good as the others it's no surprise it doesn't get picked. Sunshine is alright but it doesn't come close to SMW or Galaxy.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 17:48:03

It was okay to me. Didn't feel as fun as 64 or galaxy in my opinion. It might have only been me, but I felt the game was cheap at times.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 17:57:25

Maybe because it's so hard to get nowadays.

I still have yet to play it.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 18:20:25

At 4/11/13 05:57 PM, Painbringer wrote: Maybe because it's so hard to get nowadays.

Bullshit! It's sold over 5.5 million copies, that's just lazy, if you can't find a copy.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 18:41:53

At 4/11/13 06:20 PM, darkjam wrote: Bullshit! It's sold over 5.5 million copies, that's just lazy, if you can't find a copy.

I prefer to either buy it locally, or download it on the Wii U Virtual Console (when it comes out).

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 18:57:27

I prefer to either buy it locally, or download it on the Wii U Virtual Console (when it comes out).

I don't know what sort of game shops you got where you live mate, but most of my shops sell games as far back a the Mega drive/ Genesis.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 19:06:54

At 4/11/13 06:57 PM, darkjam wrote: I don't know what sort of game shops you got where you live mate, but most of my shops sell games as far back a the Mega drive/ Genesis.

Usually the EB Games store (a division of Gamestop) sells older games, but nothing as old as GameCube anymore.

I guess my best bet is the local flea market, which has a thousands of games and some vintage systems: If I can only remember to go out there this weekend, that is.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 19:11:10

I guess my best bet is the local flea market, which has a thousands of games and some vintage systems: If I can only remember to go out there this weekend, that is.

Just make sure to not go to the guy with a lazy eye, in the bullring (a giant shopping center in Birmingham, a good tourist attraction because of one bronze bull apparently) there's this guy like that who says he has quality consoles but are just fucked pieces of junk.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 19:16:39

At 4/11/13 07:11 PM, darkjam wrote:
there's this guy like that who says he has quality consoles but are just fucked pieces of junk.

Not sure what the UK flea market scene is like, but the biggest controversy where I live is people selling stolen items.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 19:34:43

Not sure what the UK flea market scene is like

Shifty, unless you know where to shop and you are smart, it also depends where you go.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 21:10:51

The only thing i dislike about is the difficulty, and how gimmicky it is.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-11 21:41:42

When it comes to Super Mario Sunshine, there are a few things that annoy me. The cutscenes are not skippable in all cases and they take so freakin' long. Whenever I want to start a new game, I have to watch the same scenes over and over. Also, all the Piantas in the game are stupid. How is it possible to mistake Shadow Mario for Mario at all? First off, Mario is not blue, and he isn't known to carry a giant paintbrush. I guess if the game did realize this, there wouldn't be a game at all, but couldn't the Piantas have just asked for Mario's help, since he is a famous Hero guy? I could have accepted that. But no, they even disregard the words of Princess Peach; a person that is not only royalty, but also isn't known to lie... except for that whole cake thing, but we can talk about that later.

Other than these points, the game is awesome. The graphics are good, and the music is nice. The worlds are well designed and the FLUDD mechanics work well for the game. If only those other things were changed then it would be much better in my opinion.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-12 04:10:29

I thought it was a pretty fun game.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

Who walks away from a spider attack?

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-12 16:55:04

The water aspect is fun, but the game lacks the longjump which made Mario 64 as fun as it was.
Another problem is the blue coin bullshit. Collecting 100 coins in a level is fine, collecting 8 red coins in a level is fine. Collecting all 7 or 8 stars per level is fine. But collecting 200+ blue coins requiring constant backtracking, searching, level repeating, repeating identical positions to get the joint coins etc. is just plain annoying. It is not worth 100% winning that game, it isn't entertaining to which is a complete shame.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-12 19:16:54

I will go as far to say that Super Mario Sunshine was a good game, giving Mario F.L.U.D.D. to use, was pretty nifty and fun. However at times the game was frustrating, mainly due to its lack of polish. What I mean is, landing jumps can be cumbersome, grabbing ledges and wires, and the camera could at times be unbearable to control. If you can look past those flaws, then Super Mario Sunshine is a pretty damn good game. I would say that the best platformer Nintendo has ever made though would have to be Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, however Mario is not the main playable character in that game, so it doesn't really count as a Mario Game.

The other Mario games that you listed are superior to that of Super Mario Sunshine. That's usually why Sunshine is left off the list.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-13 06:50:34

Actually unlike a few of you I've always felt that FLUDD was the weak point of the game. It removed the one aspect of mario games that I have always loved- the ability to bounce around a level and using real skill to reach seemingly inaccessible places with jumping ability alone. FLUDD made a lot of tricky jumps very cheap (especially when gaining height- you can easily back flip/wall jump away from the wall, and then use flood to turn around and get onto a high wall). I much prefer the mechanics of the long jump to lengthy hovers with FLUDD.

Blue coins were a pain in the ass as well, though I didn't mind the treasure hunting principle. Being encouraged to explore levels is something the Galaxy games really miss. Some form of clue as to their locations would have been nice, as some levels you spend hours just squirting at blank walls in the hope of finding secret coins (I'm looking at you, Noki Bay).

Otherwise I loved the game, it just doesn't stand up to the other games in the series.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-13 13:21:50

Underrated? I thought it was overrated.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-13 15:35:49

At 4/13/13 01:21 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Underrated? I thought it was overrated.

Nope. Some say that Super Mario Galaxy is overrated.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-13 17:57:39

At 4/13/13 03:35 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 4/13/13 01:21 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Underrated? I thought it was overrated.
Nope. Some say that Super Mario Galaxy is overrated.

I haven't enjoyed a mario game since 64 / paper mario (if you include paper mario)

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-14 00:08:20

It's not really underrated, it just took people a little time to get used to it.

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-14 01:43:44

Sunshine is actually my favorite Mario game. And it's not like it was the first Mario game I grew up with or anything. I grew up with Mario 64 first. But I feel like I just had more fun with Sunshine.

I wish it was more appreciated. Same with the gamecube. I mean the gamecube isn't that bad

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-14 01:46:45

I dont think I ever beat the first area, I never owned it and when I play it at a friends house there's too much text for a quick jump in and play.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Mario Sunshine underrated... 2013-04-14 15:13:43

I love it, it's my favorite Mario game. Yeah, didn't like Galaxy. Bite me.

Thread lightly.

BBS Signature