00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BloodyPeckii just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Skill -vs- Patience

561 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-09 17:21:22

There are 2 points I want to bring up, but not comment on as I'd rather read your thoughts on it instead.

[First]: Take a game like Star Ocean: The Last hope. This game literally takes hundreds of hrs to 100%; if you've played this game you'll know there really isn't anything too difficult other than the Jedi-like discipline needed to finish the damn thing.

Now, take a game like Mirror's Edge. This game requires ninja-like reflexes to 100%, and if you've ever fully completed it then fuck you, I'm jealous much.

So my question is this: What's the difference between the 2 when all that separates the learning curve is time e.g if I spend enough time with Mirror's Edge I will inevitably 100% it -vs- if I had enough time to finish Star Ocean, then I most certainly would.

[Second]: This isn't really a question so much as an epiphany I'd like to share. If you're clicking through games online to order and you're not a little drunk, you'll never have the courage to make up your freaking mind as to what you actually want to order. Soooooooo......always drink when ordering games, yeah?

I tried, later then.

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-09 17:41:23

Patience is a skill you require over time in life.

And no, you shouldn't be drunk when purchasing anything.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-09 17:43:41

I'd say your definitions given for skill and patience are both correct, with the two being clearly distinct. Patience requires time, skill requires experience.

As to your second issue, apparently our ability to make decisions on the fly is best when we have to urinate, or at least we control our impulses better.

BBS Signature

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-09 18:02:19

I think the assumption that you'll be able to 100% any game as long as you keep putting time into it is false. Some games, especially heavily twitch based ones, just can't be learned. You either have reactions good enough to master them, or you don't. It doesn't matter how many hours I put into God Hand, how much I learn the enemy patterns or perfect my combos, I'm not quick enough to consistently dodge when that meter ticks over into "DIE!".

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-10 02:08:13

Patience is a type of discipline that has to be taught, nobody is born with a virtue of patience.
So really it's one in the same

BBS Signature

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-10 14:08:04

This is where a lot of fighting games succeed. A lot of developers these days are realizing that not everyone wants to do VS mode online, and are including a wealth of single-player content. Take Persona 4 Arena, for example. It has dozens of hours of a story mode, but still has a lot of multiplayer features fighters need to stay afloat. However, Persona 4 Arena is generous enough to include both skill and patience, because it does not force you to complete story mode, arcade mode, etc. I've only scratched the surface of the game, and already, I am having a great time online!

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-10 16:54:28

at least for me, the part of the game when you are still learning new stuff is the most interesting one. once you have learned how to do everything, the games becomes exponentially boring and repetitive. i thinks thats why they add storylines to it, because it would be harder to make a game with so much to learn, so after you know how things work, you still have the story to keep you hooked. when that fails, you quit the game and leave a bunch of angry comments on internet forums

and no, you should never be horny or in any kind of drug when buying stuff

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-10 19:20:25

At 4/9/13 05:41 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: Patience is a skill you require over time in life.

And no, you shouldn't be drunk when purchasing anything.

I'm finishing up the Hitman HD collection right now and I've 100% the first 2; Blood money is my goal, now. I've made my way through BM once so far and am working for the 5 Pro silent assassin achievement. Without whiskey in my system it has taken me 4-5 tries on each lvl to get that rating, but with whiskey in my system it only takes me once, twice at the most.

Reason being my concentration isn't so focused on an end game as opposed to wtf I see before me, so this makes it easier to reach my goal. I use this train of though when I make an online purchase as it helps me maintain that 'moment' when I'm deciding what's fun or not. I can click through a hundred pages of 'cool stuff' and completely forget what the heck I was so excited about to begin with, is the point here.

Haven't you ever had many options in front of you, but were too grounded in reality to make a decision; the pros and cons became the focus instead of the actually [x] at hand?

So I'll have to politely disagree with you, as I think we should be a bit drunk on ALL decisions made. =[]

I tried, later then.

Response to Skill -vs- Patience 2013-04-10 19:54:03

At 4/10/13 07:20 PM, IGreenI wrote:
I'm finishing up the Hitman HD collection right now and I've 100% the first 2; Blood money is my goal, now. I've made my way through BM once so far and am working for the 5 Pro silent assassin achievement. Without whiskey in my system it has taken me 4-5 tries on each lvl to get that rating, but with whiskey in my system it only takes me once, twice at the most.

I mean, whatever works for you. I never had to rely on alcohol for gaming, aside for a couple of (amusing) social events. Get a group of friends, get everyone mad drunk, and go play some FEAR. It's actually quite the riot.

Reason being my concentration isn't so focused on an end game as opposed to wtf I see before me, so this makes it easier to reach my goal. I use this train of though when I make an online purchase as it helps me maintain that 'moment' when I'm deciding what's fun or not. I can click through a hundred pages of 'cool stuff' and completely forget what the heck I was so excited about to begin with, is the point here.

Like I said, whatever works.

Haven't you ever had many options in front of you, but were too grounded in reality to make a decision; the pros and cons became the focus instead of the actually [x] at hand?

Maybe a couple of times, but nothing that went out of hand. I just took it slow and I eventually reached my goal (both in the real world and in gaming).

So I'll have to politely disagree with you, as I think we should be a bit drunk on ALL decisions made. =[]

Well I, personally, wouldn't want to be drunk when I'm off shopping online. I kind of don't want to spend my money.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature