00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why do people love HL2 so much

2,811 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 14:44:54

There's a lot of reasons why everyone love HL2. It basically changed the way we look at FPS today. A good FPS needs adventure, a good plot, and of course stellar gameplay.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 14:59:39

<huge wall of text>

At 3/21/13 06:03 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: OK, i'm going to be serious, I like some Valve games (Half Life 1, TF2 (the game itself, not the community) one of the things I honestly don't understand is the hype over HL2, a few months ago, I thought HL2 looked cool from the trailers and screenshots, and there was a lot of love for the game over several websites, So I tried it out. Needeless to say, the game disappointed me, the first half, instead of being progressively good, shifts from somewhat fun (the airboat chase and the intro to the game) to extremely boring (going through sewers solving valve puzzles), the second half of the game was pretty decent, however, the AI in the resistance in Anti-Citizen One is so bad that I got in hallways at least 3 times and I was forced to restart the game. The ending of the game was also extremely abrupt and left a bad taste in my mouth, it SCREAMED to me that Valve just wanted your money if you wanted to keep on with the story. They should have at least give it a proper ending instead of a giant cliffhanger that said to people; "Will Alyx die? spend 10 bucks to find out!", The game also had problems with enemy variety, there were no real bosses that you had to THINK on how to use the environment to kill said boss like in HL1, the actual present enemies were mostly tiny gadgets that weren't fun to kill at all (manhacks), and the story was just 1984; the video game, the only real good things that made this game stand out was the atmosphere of the first ~10 minutes of the game and the soundtrack (most of which was re-used from HL1).
The gravity gun also wasn't really that special, it was fun for the first 5 minutes but having an entire chapter dedicated to it got old extremely fast.

So tell me, NG am I missing something? because I think this is no where near the holy grail of FPS's let alone PC gaming in general, if anything, that title should go to HL1 as it was dozens of times better than it's sequel, whose beta looked more like a fuller, funner sequel, but for some reason beyond my head the Valve team scraped a large portion of content that would of made this game so much better (more depressing atmosphere, Morpha boss, several enemies that would have just been cool to have like Combine assassins or the fish monster things from HL1)

</huge wall of text>

Yeah I'm not going to read that. I'd like to keep my vision thanks.

People like Half Life 2 "so much" because it is a great game. I replayed it a month ago and it was still just as amazing. It did a ton of things that were brand new. (not just graphically) Awesome story, gameplay, graphics, physics, voice acting, dialogue, sound effects, soundtrack, replayability, etc. etc. etc. Everyone is expecting HL3 (or HL2e3) to do the same.

Btw, in the future, learn to format text. Even if it's just sporadic papering of your text with arbitrary line breaks. At least then it's somewhat readable.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 15:35:17

To a wide audience certain aspects of this game where something they had not seen before... and like shiny new toys, shiny new mechanics bring attention!

One of the most notable was the Physics Engine used in game 'Hence the puzzles are around every corner' i was amazed when i played half life because this engine mixed with the Gravity Gun allowed to use the enviroment against my opposition i spent countless hours sometimes just messing about with the different objects in game...

To hardcore fans of Half Life 1 this game was no doubt a dissapointment as the whole atmosphere we experienced was taken away... the world filled less with horror and Head Crabs and more with this brand new 'Combine' and action! which is heavily preffered by most.

~CoolSignature

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 16:27:20

The graphics were really good for 2004. Has a good engine with good physics, and more puzzles than in HL1, more challenging.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 17:43:33

At 3/23/13 04:27 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: The graphics were really good for 2004. Has a good engine with good physics, and more puzzles than in HL1, more challenging.

Laugh out Loud, HL2 was nowhere near as hard as HL1, the bosses in HL1 required you to learn a way to use the environment on how to hill them, since HL2 mainly revovled around the gravity gun, the puzzles were extremely more predictable and easy to figure out than in HL1, and the general enemies in HL1 were more challenging to kill than in HL2, also, like I said many, many times before HL1, a game from six years before HL2 was released, was dozens of times better than it's sequel.

To hardcore fans of Half Life 1 this game was no doubt a dissapointment as the whole atmosphere we experienced was taken away... the world filled less with horror and Head Crabs and more with this brand new 'Combine' and action! which is heavily preffered by most.

It's funny how you say this game had more action, yet there were several points where you were just crawling around in boring sewers solving valve puzzles, also, there wasn't a lack of headcrabs, they were the only regular enemy in the entire game besides zombies and soldiers, everything else in the game was either an obstacle enemy that was only there to keep you away from the ocean/in your buggy or a boss enemy that was repeated to death several times

great choice of words, he lied

So, because someone might prefer other games released around the time as HL2 like Doom 3, Project Snowblind, GTA; San Andreas, or Civilization IV or several other great games they are lying?

filler text

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 18:09:36

Don't forget all of the mods that have developed off of H2 and H1, the community contributes to everything that spawns off it far more than any terrible cod spray 'n pray game, that alone would make it one of the most influential games ever, never mind the story or physics

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 18:32:46

At 3/23/13 06:09 PM, Gottaketchup wrote: Don't forget all of the mods that have developed off of H2 and H1, the community contributes to everything that spawns off it far more than any terrible cod spray 'n pray game, that alone would make it one of the most influential games ever, never mind the story or physics

I wasn't talking about HL1 or mods, I was talking about why I don't like HL2.

You're thinking of the Source/GoldSource engine

filler text

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-23 19:30:59

At 3/23/13 06:32 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
At 3/23/13 06:09 PM, Gottaketchup wrote: Don't forget all of the mods that have developed off of H2 and H1, the community contributes to everything that spawns off it far more than any terrible cod spray 'n pray game, that alone would make it one of the most influential games ever, never mind the story or physics
I wasn't talking about HL1 or mods, I was talking about why I don't like HL2.

You're thinking of the Source/GoldSource engine

sorry didnt quote the message i was sort of making a reply to, the one that says
"Why is it suddenly such a popular opinion here that Valve sucks?" in combination with the topic,
My b.
In response though i never really got into H2 because i was ballsdeep in halo 2 at that time, but H2 did have like moments of wonder and amazement, watching the combine work and how fluid there were and how they moved compared other games at that time. There was also moments of terror when you were walking around these dark allies and everything is quiet seeing dead bodies and headcrabs scattered around when all of a sudden a zombie gets up and hits you and you crap your pants. Although the loading was a buzzkill when it first came out. I wouldve appreciated it alot more if i wasnt such a hormonal teenager who just wanted to pvp and kill.

Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-25 01:44:08

No matter how many times you try to rationalize it and read into it, people have opinions. Just as you have your own. You didn't Like Half Life 2 as much as you did the first one, that's fine. That being said, as much as you try to disprove another's opinion, some people will still have the same opinion. You can either agree with their opinion, or disagree, and leave it at that. From what I've seen, your just bitching. People obviously enjoyed Half Life 2. Everyone has different reasons for enjoying it, but the reasons are still there, as much as you try to disprove them.