00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can we please see new consoles!!!

1,772 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 21:11:11

Im tired of seeing nintendo, microsoft, and sony going at it. We need more people in this. And no the ouya isnt competing with these consoles. I want to see lots of consoles come on. Imagine if samsung or somone went into gaming. Would be big. I would love the variety. I am truley hoping people stand up this year and make new consoles to compete with next gen consoles like ps4 and wiiu.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 21:13:54

"new consoles"= "video game crash"

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 22:05:39

So two more consoles would cause a crash?

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 22:20:12

I hear Sony is dropping out and I believe I heard somewhere that Steam is joining in.

I don't know how I feel about either of these.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 22:34:41

I'd like to see AMD make their own console. They make CPUs, GPUs, RAM, SSDs (coming up soon), and they design motherboards. The only components they don't make are power supplies, cases, and disc drives - often the cheapest parts of the console. Aside from a pretty hefty discount on components, they also have access to the engineers and driver programmers that design and upkeep their devices. If current consoles are extremely optimized with third-party devs working on them, I imagine the original devs could juice out a bit more from it. If the new generation of AMD powered consoles does well, hopefully AMD will get the urge to try out console making on their own.

As a side note: a console with an unmodified miniATX motherboard complete with a consumer grade CPU slot, an empty PCIE slot, and an "Other OS" feature would be godly.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-09 23:18:53

No no no no no. NO. We have enough already. Oversaturation risks another video game crash like Themajormel mentioned.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-10 03:23:45

I'd rather see all the consoles gone and replaced by portable gaming PCs.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-10 03:59:24

At 3/10/13 03:38 AM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
At 3/10/13 03:23 AM, Jin wrote: I'd rather see all the consoles gone and replaced by portable gaming PCs.
Why do people say shit like this? I fail to see the problem people have with consoles.

Maybe because the market for gaming PCs would grow, and they would thus become both cheaper and better. Additionally, games would be created exclusively for PC and thus hopefully not have the same compatibility problems that ports often do. With all games released for a single console, everybody would be free to play the games they like without buying a specific console with games made exclusively for it. I'd like that too, it sounds like a dream world! :)

The exception being portable consoles, those will always be a useful alternative.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-10 04:03:24

At 3/10/13 03:59 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Maybe because the market for gaming PCs would grow, and they would thus become both cheaper and better. Additionally, games would be created exclusively for PC and thus hopefully not have the same compatibility problems that ports often do. With all games released for a single console, everybody would be free to play the games they like without buying a specific console with games made exclusively for it. I'd like that too, it sounds like a dream world! :)

The exception being portable consoles, those will always be a useful alternative.

Exactly. I don't have a problem with consoles. They're just done serving their purpose; being a portable gaming PC.

And yes controllers with screens are still useful... until computers get small enough to fit in them.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-10 13:02:41

Companies know not to compete with these giants, remember the phillips c-di? I think electronic companies learnt to just stick to making T.V's. Besides to make them even more scared, when Sega went bankrupt, they knnew that could happen to them if they don't invest, their console is shit or doesn't have good games (the saturn needed a good sonic game to keep it going)

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-10 13:46:15

I can't see what new consoles would bring to the table that the current ones don't. It'd be a different case maybe if they were progressions towards virtual reality but I doubt that would catch on without one of the big names and a hell of a lot of funding behind it.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-11 19:14:59

I don't think so, it would just segregate the market further, there's just absolutely no need for it. The gaming market is crowded as it is, we've got PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii U, Steambox, OUYA, Tablets, Phones, and Streaming Services (like OnLive), there just isn't the space or need for it.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-11 19:59:22

At 3/11/13 07:14 PM, iMini wrote: I don't think so, it would just segregate the market further, there's just absolutely no need for it. The gaming market is crowded as it is, we've got PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii U, Steambox, OUYA, Tablets, Phones, and Streaming Services (like OnLive), there just isn't the space or need for it.

the wii u sucks anyways

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-11 20:02:41

At 3/11/13 07:59 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 3/11/13 07:14 PM, iMini wrote: I don't think so, it would just segregate the market further, there's just absolutely no need for it. The gaming market is crowded as it is, we've got PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii U, Steambox, OUYA, Tablets, Phones, and Streaming Services (like OnLive), there just isn't the space or need for it.
the wii u sucks anyways

Okay, well what does that have to do with it? I don't understand the objective of your post.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 00:53:25

Too bad. These guys are in the industry for now on.

Service with a smile? I'll show you service with a smile.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 06:11:50

At 3/11/13 07:59 PM, Sequenced wrote: the wii u sucks anyways

The name says it all. :)

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 06:24:47

At 3/9/13 09:13 PM, TheMajormel wrote: "new consoles"= "video game crash"

This.

Also: consoles, really? PC gaming is where it's at.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 07:21:05

At 3/19/13 06:24 AM, BANGsquared wrote:
This.

I don't get why so many people are like this. Some games are good on the PC(Like a Skyrim) but I find there to be plenty of games worth playing on consoles that would be hard to play on a PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Also some of the newer games on Wii U couldn't even translate to the PC. I don't see how you could play games like a NintendoLand on a PC.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 13:58:35

At 3/19/13 07:21 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 3/19/13 06:24 AM, BANGsquared wrote:
This.

I don't get why so many people are like this. Some games are good on the PC(Like a Skyrim) but I find there to be plenty of games worth playing on consoles that would be hard to play on a PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Also some of the newer games on Wii U couldn't even translate to the PC. I don't see how you could play games like a NintendoLand on a PC.

A vast majority of games (FPS, RPG, RTS, MMO) are greatly superior when played on PC. You do however, have a point. Today's gaming consoles are more adept at playing, say FIFA or any other sports and driving sim. I don't really want to go into Wii U because that's a whole other concept: of course you couldn't play Wii U games on the PC but most of them aren't really that good and they don't provide a compelling reason to go out and get a console instead of just wading in the sea of quality PC games.

To sum up, the PC is great for a majority of games, while the consoles have increasingly become almost niche and casual markets.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 16:26:58

So youre asking for an entirely new video game company to just spring up and release a console?

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 23:40:30

Dude, do you really want to pay an excessive amount of money for a new console? Just enjoy the stagnation of the console development.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 23:44:48

Just go with what most of the people on this post are saying. PC is where it's at.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-19 23:56:31

There is a neat little portable emulator called the GCW-Zero. According to GCW-general threads on /vg/, these things can emulate a lot of retro consoles flawlessly. That said, it's no better than a hacked PSP.
There's also the OUYA being released really soon.

I personally am all for the oversaturation of consoles. Hopefully more competition would mean developers would have to make their consoles more obtainable, but that's for another thread.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-20 00:38:36

At 3/19/13 11:56 PM, Chdonga wrote: There is a neat little portable emulator called the GCW-Zero. According to GCW-general threads on /vg/, these things can emulate a lot of retro consoles flawlessly. That said, it's no better than a hacked PSP.
There's also the OUYA being released really soon.

I personally am all for the oversaturation of consoles. Hopefully more competition would mean developers would have to make their consoles more obtainable, but that's for another thread.

Most new consoles sell at an initial loss, so the lowest end console would end up being the cheapest, and probably the most profitably (example being the Wii). The issue with multiple consoles is multiple exclusive titles. Many of the newer gaming devices are Android based which allows each game to be played on various hardware; if more custom hardware/OS consoles were announced, exclusives would be much harder to afford considering one would need to buy both the game and the console to play it on.

I would rather have a fewer number of big consoles. Handheld devices and OS's keep consoles from sprouting too high in price despite not supporting the same experience that a more specialized console can. The result of fewer consoles is a model where only one, well-priced console exists upon which every exclusive title is held.

If there was only one big console, I would rather it be up-gradable and highly optimized. The best case scenario would be a console sized box with consumer-grade, replaceable parts and an OS that supported something similar to the older PS3's "Other OS" feature. In fact, if the device used a consumer-grade motherboard, one could freely replace the processor, graphics card, RAM, and even use their own computer case, although I would expect that the console OS would only function with the default configuration. Basically, I would like to see an affordable PC in a console shell with a gaming focused OS and the ability to install other OS's.

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-20 05:53:13

I completely agree. Other then this we have Game Stick and GCW-Zero coming and opening new markets as well. I hope gaming will not become like other "consumer industries" :C

Response to Can we please see new consoles!!! 2013-03-21 11:02:12

So let me get this straight, you want people who have never made video game consoles before to make video game consoles to compete with actual video game console companies?

Do you think game developers would have any interest AT ALL in making games for such systems?

Back in the day there were many more consoles, the 3DO the philips, the Oddysee, the Atari Jaguar etc. all these things. They only had a few shit games with them made by the companies themselves or a rare addition from other developers, they all failed due to the simple fact no actual games were being made for them as they were shit.

Yes there are only 3 companies now who make game consoles, who gives a shit? That is good. The company who makes the consoles matters very little. It is the companies who make the GAMES who matter. And they make games for those consoles due to them being the best formats to sell the games on.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature