00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Figure- fun app for inspiration

1,172 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 15:46:43

This app.

I stumbled across it while idly surfing the music part of the app store. Looked snazzy, only cost a dollar, powered by Reason. Worth 99 cents to me.

It is a fun, fun little app.

It's no DAW. It doesn't make any claims to be. What it does is give you some funky presets to play with, some basic mixing tools, and a quirky input method. Instead of tapping notes one by one, you simply set a key, range, basic rhythm, and interval, and you slide your finger across and around the keyboard. It will jump through your set intervals while playing the rhythm specified. All diatonic, no need to worry about wrong notes. It feels good and looks good.

You're not going to compose any masterpieces here, especially since the longest recordable length is 8 bars. However, I have found that messing around with Figure for three minutes is more productive than sitting at a keyboard for twenty. It's easy to get a sound in your head with, and, as I've said before, it's probably one of the best-looking apps I've ever seen.

Simple, fun, intuitive. If you have any kind of iProduct, pick this up for yourself.

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 15:52:06

Another thing I'm missing out on because I don't have any iThings.

It looks interesting though, nice find!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 17:24:18

Requirements: iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation)

*Has 2G iPod touch*

Figure- fun app for inspiration

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 17:42:23

I think I played around with it for about 4 minutes before I got bored. :3

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 18:57:54

Pretty cool. I actually don't have any iDevices, but I've played around with similar apps in the past.

They are good for experimenting with different grooves I guess, but it really doesn't compare to having a DAW in front of you. I guess its the next best thing though.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 19:08:56

No Apple products for me.

I refuse to get sucked in! :P

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 19:49:43

Hopefully I can give it a shot with my 3rd Gen ipod. Definitely something to help me pass the time.
Thanks for sharing.

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-03 23:42:57

At 3/3/13 07:49 PM, StaticBlu wrote: Hopefully I can give it a shot with my 3rd Gen ipod. Definitely something to help me pass the time.
Thanks for sharing.

This is pretty nifty! Not a substitute for your friendly neighborhood DAW or anything, but it's a fun toy to play with.

BBS Signature

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-04 13:47:32

I decided to give it a go with my hand me down Iphone and I have to say it is rather nifty! Obviously it's no DAW but as OP said it isn't trying to be. Just a fun little musical toy :3

Just expect to make stupid stuff like this

https://soundcloud.com/duttonsayshi/lol-loopan

Response to Figure- fun app for inspiration 2013-03-04 13:56:28

At 3/4/13 01:47 PM, DuttonsaysHi wrote: I decided to give it a go with my hand me down Iphone and I have to say it is rather nifty! Obviously it's no DAW but as OP said it isn't trying to be. Just a fun little musical toy :3

Just expect to make stupid stuff like this

https://soundcloud.com/duttonsayshi/lol-loopan

I just realised I said the exact same thing as the post above >_< that was unintentional.