00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need a serious artist

754 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I need a serious artist 2013-02-10 23:17:48

I'm going to try going department by department here. Posting generalties is getting me nowhere. This site seems to be like a one stop shop for game development, yet nobody seems interested enough to take it seriously. It's been a discouraging start, but hopefully I can turn it around here.

I am making a game. I have an incredible story written (I am a screenwriter for film. This is my first game) and some awesome, unique game mechanic ideas. I need artists to come up with some concept work.

If I like your work, and you are interested in a really good project, then we can talk about moving forward. While I don't have a ton of money to throw around, I have enough to make it worth your while if we decide to move forward.

I don't have a specific art style picked out, but I am definitely partial to the 16-bit sprite style, ala SNES. But if something really cool and unique came about, I'd be willing to consider it. Right now, the only thing set in stone are story and game mechanics. This is a chance to be involved in a really good project and make a little money. If you are looking to be involved in something worthwhile, I promise you, you have found it.

Please respond in the thread or PM me.

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-10 23:38:11

Try the Collabinator.

Also you'll be more likely to get bites if you prove that you're bringing something useful to the table- if you're unwilling to give us details of what you're planning that might catch people's imagination, at least give us some writing samples to show that you're worth our time.

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-11 03:05:27

At 2/10/13 11:17 PM, JasonHebert1 wrote: I'm going to try going department by department here. Posting generalties is getting me nowhere. This site seems to be like a one stop shop for game development, yet nobody seems interested enough to take it seriously. It's been a discouraging start, but hopefully I can turn it around here.

I am making a game. I have an incredible story written (I am a screenwriter for film. This is my first game) and some awesome, unique game mechanic ideas. I need artists to come up with some concept work.

there are so many writers begging for animators or coders to 'flesh out' their special story, if you're a halfway decent animator or coder chances are you have a ton of left over projects you can flesh out at any point. Somehow I dont value the 'idea man' role as a valuable one , the only way to prove yourself i'd say is to actually post some content be it story or game bible or whatever. Empty words dont fly well will most artists

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-11 03:46:18

At 2/11/13 03:05 AM, Lucky wrote:
At 2/10/13 11:17 PM, JasonHebert1 wrote: I'm going to try going department by department here. Posting generalties is getting me nowhere. This site seems to be like a one stop shop for game development, yet nobody seems interested enough to take it seriously. It's been a discouraging start, but hopefully I can turn it around here.

there are so many writers begging for animators or coders to 'flesh out' their special story, if you're a halfway decent animator or coder chances are you have a ton of left over projects you can flesh out at any point. Somehow I dont value the 'idea man' role as a valuable one , the only way to prove yourself i'd say is to actually post some content be it story or game bible or whatever. Empty words dont fly well will most artists

Agreed. A writer has to be AMAZING for me to use my time working on his baby. Of course, obviously being paid for that time changes things. But I personally would be far more interested knowing what some of these films are? Any sample work online or in a bookstore? Actually curious. I've done some concept work and storyboard work for film too. Van Helsing, Aliens and Cowboys, and some commercials, indie films, etc. It's been years since I've done any of it though, I didn't like it. That said, hit us! Sounds exciting!

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-13 11:11:06

@Hyptosis

Hey, man! Thanks for your response. Since I last posted that, I actually have a very talented programmer from here on board that loves the story/design ideas I've come up with. So a little crew is starting to come together, and I'm really excited. I do have a link to something I wrote online. It is a completely different style from anything video game related, but it does show a sample of my work:,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZIaLiRX14

In the above link, I actually served as director as well. I have zero experience in directing, and did it only because of limited financial resources at the time, and I desperately wanted to get my work on the screen. So, I ask not to judge it from a directorial standpoint, because I am not a director. We also had a problem with the film, where we lost the alternate angles at the beginning, and the first few minutes are all one angle, which gets pretty monotonous, and quite frankly, boring to watch. It picks up speed as it goes on, though. Just judge the writing portion, please.

I'd also like to see a sample of your work online, if possible.

@Lucky

To be blunt, I've received so many negative and insulting responses on these boards from people before they even knew a thing about the project, and I'm so fed up with it, that I don't care whether or not you consider what I do to be a skill. That seems to be a common thought around here about anyone who's not a programmer or artist.

Like I said, I come from the film (technically video) world, where people of all different skills get together and create a project with all of their individual talents combined into one. The screenwriter doesn't look down on the actors, the director doesn't look down on the DP, etc. Around here there seems to be an attitude of "I'm a programmer / artist and you're just some talentless guy that is lucky I'm even taking the time to insult."

While I realize there are lots of people that have ideas that want someone to "flesh them out", and while I realize the one fleshing them out does the vast majority of the work, quite frankly there are just as many programmers, artists or animators as there are idea guys. While I've had a bad start finding some, they are also a dime a dozen, so if you don't want to be involved in the project, why take the time out to respond negatively/insultingly? I just don't get it. Not to mention, I even talked about being willing to pay. Someone comes here saying they have some great ideas they would like help with, and are going to pay, and the response is that he's talentless and not worth anyone's time?

I understand there are probably a million "idea guys" that probably say something like "Yeah you're like this dude in space and you have like 19 guns and.." but this is far from that. This is a long, fully fleshed out, quality story. Every character is completed and has depth. I have some extremely unique game mechanic ideas, along with a couple that are twists on common existing ideas, that really make for a unique, fun and challenging experience. As the story is written, the entire overworld is planned out, as well as the theme/individual ideas for each of the 14 levels (4 of which being optional). It is written in a way to allow the player options that impact the story without creating too much extra work for the programmer.

Again, if I sounded insulting at all in this response, it is out of a little frustration of constant bashing before anyone knows a shred of info about what I'm planning. And, to be honest, whenever I read "Looking for a writer" and "pay" in the same sentence, that right there is enough to peak my interest to atleast LEARN about the project before insulting it. But, that's just me.

I'm not forcing anyone to be involved. It will be well worth your time if you are, though.

Sorry for the long post, everybody, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-13 11:27:36

Also @Lucky

Wasn't clear on that last post. It was not directed "at" you, as you were obviously not insulting me, for the most part. It was more just explaining why I found things frustrating, which you had commented on by explaining why I was having the problem.

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-13 11:49:10

At 2/13/13 11:11 AM, JasonHebert1 wrote: To be blunt, I've received so many negative and insulting responses on these boards from people before they even knew a thing about the project, and I'm so fed up with it, that I don't care whether or not you consider what I do to be a skill. That seems to be a common thought around here about anyone who's not a programmer or artist.

If you want to organise a partnership with somebody, the other person also has the right to know something about you, and why you're worth working with. People should know more about the project before they take interest, since it could be an idea they have no wish to work on. Scant details would be enough.

You say it's a common thought to anyone who's not a programmer or artist. The truth is it's common with everything.
If you're fed up with it, you should consider opening up rather than writing a page long moan about it.

BBS Signature

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-13 11:55:23

You seem to be misunderstanding what I wrote. I agree that people should want to learn more about the project before deciding whether or not to work on it. My "moaning" was that when I would post about a project I have and inviting people who are interested to PM me to learn about it, receiving comments such as "There are so many ideas guys I should spit in your face for bothering me" and things along those lines. That isn't made up, I actually received a response like that.

All I was asking, is exactly what you were saying, if someone is interested, please let me know, and I'll give them more info. That wasn't an entire page moaning about it, it was also posting a sample of my past work. I am trying to get to know people on here, and inviting them to know more about me and my project, I just feel it is unnecessary to receive respones about getting spit in my face and that I'm talentless because I dont draw or program.

At 2/13/13 11:49 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/13/13 11:11 AM, JasonHebert1 wrote: To be blunt, I've received so many negative and insulting responses on these boards from people before they even knew a thing about the project, and I'm so fed up with it, that I don't care whether or not you consider what I do to be a skill. That seems to be a common thought around here about anyone who's not a programmer or artist.
If you want to organise a partnership with somebody, the other person also has the right to know something about you, and why you're worth working with. People should know more about the project before they take interest, since it could be an idea they have no wish to work on. Scant details would be enough.

You say it's a common thought to anyone who's not a programmer or artist. The truth is it's common with everything.
If you're fed up with it, you should consider opening up rather than writing a page long moan about it.

Response to I need a serious artist 2013-02-13 11:57:59

@Hyptosis

Just looked at your thread. Awesome work, man! I hope you have some interest in the project. I'd be willing to provide you details via PM, if so. The programmer I am working with is working on a demo build of the first level right now, as we speak, with placement art.