00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

'Inspiration' and New Music

1,370 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-03 07:31:20

Hey all, I'm pretty new to posting on newgrounds but i wanted to ask for advice regarding electronic music. I am more of a metal person than anything else but I love writing electronic music (retro-y I guess) and i want to start listening to it to improve my writing/creating/mixing skills. I LOVED the soundtrack to Hotline Miami (M.O.ON <3) and Zweihander by Logan from TekSyndicate. However I feel that i need to have a bigger variety (I NEED MOAR). Any suggestions are welcome :D

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-04 09:35:21

Listen to a lot of various genres.

I.e., bonobo, nosaj thing,aphex twin, shpongle, quantic, twisted mushroom, ltj bukem, makoto, above & beyond, etc

lel

BBS Signature

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-04 09:46:35

Hey I'm similar to you, my main genre is heavy metal but I love writing score with electronica elements (mainly retro ones). :)
I just write electronica in the same way I write any other genre and people seem to like that a lot, at least, on Youtube my electronica tracks get a ton of thumb-ups and good feedback.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-04 11:11:35

hi, what mostley works for me is that I listen to different kind of genre's and then I'm gonna make a track with some of the effects out of those track's which I liked the most. mostley it's an awsome thing and just by listening to it or trying to google it u find the way how u do such a thing. and then it is importand to just make it your own and try to give it some own flavour.

so I would suggest that u listen to the stuff u wanna make first like for instance House, look up some tutorials and then try to make a house like track.

Good luck and if u have any questions don't be ashamed to pm me ;)

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-04 11:58:58

At 2/4/13 09:35 AM, Sequenced wrote: Listen to a lot of various genres.

I.e., bonobo, nosaj thing,aphex twin, shpongle, quantic, twisted mushroom, ltj bukem, makoto, above & beyond, etc

I meant infected mushroom... my bad lol

lel

BBS Signature

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-04 15:04:11

At 2/3/13 07:31 AM, EvilJellyMan990 wrote: Hey all, I'm pretty new to posting on newgrounds but i wanted to ask for advice regarding electronic music. I am more of a metal person than anything else but I love writing electronic music (retro-y I guess) and i want to start listening to it to improve my writing/creating/mixing skills. I LOVED the soundtrack to Hotline Miami (M.O.ON <3) and Zweihander by Logan from TekSyndicate. However I feel that i need to have a bigger variety (I NEED MOAR). Any suggestions are welcome :D

There are scads of electronic sub-genres you can look into. There's breakbeat, trance, dubstep, drum&bass, chiptune, glitch, techno, hardstyle, hardcore, rave, dance and every possible mixture and crossover of the aforementioned.

The references you listed are examples of chiptune; it's hallmark sound is the use of the most basic triangle, square and sine settings on a synthesizer, which are the basic building blocks of sound design. Anymore, though, it get's difficult to classify electronic songs into exact genres because we like to use the best parts of everything.

Here are some examples for each genre:
Breakbeat = Pendulum => Sounds of Life.

(special note about Pendulum, they don't stick strictly with one genre; also be sure to listen to [Self VS Self featuring Anders Friden of In Flames] and [Set Me On Fire] which is actually dubstep rather than breakbeat)

Dubstep = Knife Party => Centipede.
Drum&Bass = Evol Intent => The Rapture
Glitch = The Glitch Mob - Beyond Monday
Techno = THIS
Rave = Manion => Raver's Fantasy
Hardstyle = THIS
Trance = Paul Van Dyk => Let Go
Dance = Cascada = Everytime We Touch
Hardcore = THIS

Enjoy studying those genres, my friend! Learning what makes each one unique is the key to improving.

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-05 12:08:57

Thanks to everyone who suggested and gave me some tips :3 once i get a break from school its time to go on music-findin'/music-writtin' binge. Once again thanks to everyone!

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-07 14:45:42

At 2/4/13 11:58 AM, Sequenced wrote:

Dude. Thank the motherfucking divine powers of sound for Infested Mushroom. Just wow thanks for the recommendation I will go back to listening to "The Rat" at dangerously high levels:P

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-07 14:54:51

Abstract, House, Minimal, pop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD1NTfTF21I

Not entirely what you're looking for, I think, but looking into new styles is awesome or something.

: "Sorry, but 'FUCK.als' already exists"

BBS Signature

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-10 01:41:30

Here's a few suggestions if you'd like

The Chemical Brothers(Personal Fav)
Pendulum(Hold Your Color)
Aphex Twin
Feed Me(Raw Chicken)
The Prodigy(Invaders must die)

There's tons of different electronic music out there, it can get quite overwhelming with all the different genres, sub genres, genres within sub genres. Though all the more to explore.
Personally i like a lot more chill electronic music like trip hop, and liquid drum and bass. Stuff from Hospital Records like London elektricity and B- Complex.

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-11 11:59:40

listen to this guy "Gloker" on soundcloud and this other guy "Snoopie777"

they aren't well known but their shit's pretty unique

Gloker: https://soundcloud.com/gloker/gloker-stars-ballad

Snoopie777: https://soundcloud.com/snoopie777/snoopie-new-begining

Response to 'Inspiration' and New Music 2013-02-11 23:56:14

At 2/7/13 02:45 PM, EvilJellyMan990 wrote:
At 2/4/13 11:58 AM, Sequenced wrote:

Dude. Thank the motherfucking divine powers of sound for Infested Mushroom. Just wow thanks for the recommendation I will go back to listening to "The Rat" at dangerously high levels:P

Also, check out Becoming Insane by Infected Mushroomif you haven't had the chance. It's grande.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznfI0O2v9E