00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 11:48:47

OK, so I've always been a big AS2 programmer, and then I come onto this forum, and it seems like everyone says that AS3 is better. WHY would I learn AS3, and WHERE would be the best place to start learning it?

Thanks.

Response to As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 12:25:42

At 1/22/13 11:48 AM, GMR516 wrote: WHY would I learn AS3,

Because it is better in every important aspect.

and WHERE would be the best place to start learning it?

milchreis.newgrounds.com/news/post/576285

Response to As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 12:31:39

At 1/22/13 11:48 AM, GMR516 wrote: OK, so I've always been a big AS2 programmer, and then I come onto this forum, and it seems like everyone says that AS3 is better. WHY would I learn AS3, and WHERE would be the best place to start learning it?

Thanks.

there's so many arguments against AS2 and for AS3 that I honestly couldn't tell you them all. AS3 is superior to AS2 in so many ways on so many levels that it's just ridiculous at this point.
i'll share what I can.

1. AS2 teaches you really bad general programming habits that take a long time to forget
2. AS2 is slower than all hell
3. AS2 doesn't do sockets
4. Until you forget AS2, you'll be stuck with it because you'll always think it's "easier" than all the other programming languages, when the truth is it's just lazier.
5. AS2 was made in the early 2000s. It's dead. Let it go.
6. Adobe officially dropped support for it the first of January, and their next IDE series will come without the option. FlashDevelop already dropped official support for it, and other IDEs are soon to follow. You won't be getting much help for your AS2 flashes anywhere after this year. I sure as hell am just going to tell you to switch.
7. AS2 wasn't made to handle modern games. It's an extension of AS1 (though the structure is most like AS3, nobody uses it the correct way) and AS1 was simply an animator's tool to help things along.

1. AS3 uses a structure called Object-Oriented Programming, and thus is very organized. Ever try to find code in a large AS2 project? Learn OOP, and that problem (any may others) disappears.
2. AS3 was designed to help Flash programmers, AS1 and AS2 was designed to help Flash animators.
3. Flash has become much larger than an animation tool, and Adobe realized it, so they released AS3, which is constantly updated to more modern technology.
4. AS4 is coming out soon, but it's pretty much just AS3 with a few cool features thrown in (operator overloading, anyone?) - The structure of AS3 is permanent throughout Adobe's releases of the next ActionScript. Learn this and you learn them all.
5. Though OOP isn't the only way to program, it certainly fits Flash very well. Everything is an object (and everything is literally an Object) so you use that to your advantage when dealing with putting objects (DisplayObjects) on the stage. AS2 implemented OOP, but AS3 actually got it right.

there's so many more, but that's where I stop. As for your "best tutorial" - there is none. The way you learn is completely different from everyone else. The only thing that seems to stay consistent when people learn OOP is that one day they wake up and it all makes sense. Before that, they struggle, but it just all of a sudden hits them like a train and they've learned the way basic OOP works. Once you understand that, you have overcome by far the largest obstacle in your way.

I have a tutorial on AS3, FlashDevelop, and OOP i my sig (appropriately named so) - here's the direct link if you don't want to go visiting middle-man pages :P

also, the video

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 12:40:20

Thanks guys. I actually have the courage to learn AS3 now. :D

Response to As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 12:59:55

At 1/22/13 12:40 PM, GMR516 wrote: Thanks guys. I actually have the courage to learn AS3 now. :D

I have faith in you. Believe in the me who believes in you!

Response to As2 Or As3? 2013-01-22 13:08:24

At 1/22/13 12:59 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/22/13 12:40 PM, GMR516 wrote: Thanks guys. I actually have the courage to learn AS3 now. :D
I have faith in you. Believe in the me who believes in you!

Lol, okai.