00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The school system's teaching styles

853 Views | 12 Replies

Well we are going back to school and I can't help but shudder at the thought of being taught by idiots again.
For a while I have plain out refused to do work just because I can't handle the lack of information they give you past the blatantly obvious.
There is zero involvement of students who sit there and do nothing, which explains why they're grades are atrocious by nation standards; which in turn are atrocious by the worlds standards. It's pathetic.
There should be a involvement of every student in the room, calling on kids who are twiddling their hair will help them in the end.
Another thing I can't stand is (for most teachers) They think they need to put on a show! They do a fucking half wit comedy routine to humor the class. You don't need your students to like you, you need them to respect you. Even if they think your a little strict. Only one of my teachers has met my criteria of what a teacher should be like.
My french teacher.
She comes into school 5 hours early after a night of working on the work for the day.
She has a website registered just for student use for grades, updates, extra help, games, and printable worksheets for the entire quarter. And in class she involves everyone if they don't get it she teaches them. And she lets us reflect on things that don't make sense before elaborating rather than zipping past it.

How do you guys feel about YOUR school system or that of your country.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 05:59:44

At 1/2/13 05:39 AM, Jomillex wrote: Only one of my teachers has met my criteria of what a teacher should be like.
My french teacher.
She comes into school 5 hours early after a night of working on the work for the day.
She has a website registered just for student use for grades, updates, extra help, games, and printable worksheets for the entire quarter. And in class she involves everyone if they don't get it she teaches them. And she lets us reflect on things that don't make sense before elaborating rather than zipping past it.

How do you guys feel about YOUR school system or that of your country.

It sounds like she does her best to go the extra mile and she deserves credit for that, but you can't expect of every teacher to put that much effort into their jobs. I know where I live the work load for teachers is very high already (with little reward) and very few people want to get into teaching for that reason. If they all had to meet your standards, I think we'd get even fewer applicants and an even bigger casualty rate due to burn-outs.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 10:51:56

At 1/2/13 05:39 AM, Jomillex wrote:
There should be a involvement of every student in the room, calling on kids who are twiddling their hair will help them in the end.

i agree that students should have equal chance to participate in class acitivties if time allows. you can learn from your peers and analysse a problem from a different point of view. this is of course helpful if there is no right or wrong answers. you can also learn from the mistakes that other students have made if there is a fixed answer.

however, quite often, it is easier said than done. i know it is possible to get students involved in class group discussions and activities for a language or arts subject (softer subject) if the teaching schedule is not tight.

i don't think this approach is always pratical (say science subjects) if a large number of topics need to be covered within a given time limit.

in this case, continuous assessments are better alternatives. (e.g. assigning homeworks or quizzes from time to time). after all, it is the student's responsiblity to make sure they don't fall behind the class.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 14:02:30

how the teachers in my county teach "You should have payed attention the first time no I wont show you how to do it...OH you werent here??? well get the notes from a classmate that wasnt paying attention"

I always come with a good plan, when that dont work I switch out to the hood plan

,.l.. >_< ..l.,

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 14:18:58

At 1/2/13 05:39 AM, Jomillex wrote: She has a website registered just for student use for grades, updates, extra help, games, and printable worksheets for the entire quarter. And in class she involves everyone if they don't get it she teaches them. And she lets us reflect on things that don't make sense before elaborating rather than zipping past it.

Every teacher at my high school did this. I barely had any teachers that I didn't like.

Also, kids don't respect teachers because they don't respect their parents because their parents don't discipline them. So criticizing the schools for the parents' faults is wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 15:29:51

Most of my teachers actually know what they're doing. They give us work, help us if we need but are actually strict and reinforce the rules. Probably the only class where we don't really do much is maths. We're given a demonstration on whatever new thing we're learning (Obviously only if we're learning something new) and given a page inthe textbook to work on for the rest of the period. A lot of the time I sit there doodling because I find myself unable to concentrate on the task at hand. All the other teachers are fine, though. The only teacher I really hated was my first year French teacher because she was fucking retarded. Nobody ever took her seriously because she hardly ever actually punished anyone. The entire period the class would talk and not do any work, and she would rarely ever do anything at all. Just stand there and shout "stop talking!" On the rare occasion she would threaten us with lines, she'd pretty much say "If you behave I don't give you them" so we get off anyway. Hell, we ended up getting moved to another teacher because of this (I think it was more to do with her being new and actually needing a class to teach, though) The fact that she was actually French may also have contributed to all the people making fun of her.

There's also my current Science teacher, who is Polish, though she actually punishes the people in the class, and for pretty stupid reasons too. Half the time I get the feeling she doesn't even know what she's actually doing, and she was probably the only time I've ever actually made fun of a teacher because she is really stupid. I'm seriously glad she's just a substitute and will probably be gone next year. I really am.

Like I said, all the other teachers are fine though. Some are on the strict side, but at least they know how to teach.

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 16:15:39

I found it generally got better with college. Everyone has to endure the bullshit that is middle school, but face it; y'all are acting like little shits the whole time. Unless it's a "cool teacher", y'all cut them some slack, and you KNOW you guys did...that's how it happened; "Mob Mentality 101" ...a substitute teacher came in, and god help you if you actually learned anything.

So with a bunch of snot-nosed, puberty struck aggressively hormonal puke-stains giving you, a good teacher that's doing it out of the love of the craft and strengthening our future generation's minds, are CONSTANTLY getting a bunch of bullshit, trying to teach them basic crap. While they're fighting each other and being obnoxious because the other little assholes think it's THE FUNNIEST THING EVER, and it disrupts the entire atmosphere...over and over again with interruptions, or kids that can't sit still for five goddamn minutes and pay attention to this video the curriculum is FORCING you to show them because it's your job......and while you lament about it to your faculty, the worst fucking teacher there who clocks in for a paycheck because they stopped giving a fuck after their divorce has NO PROBLEM with literally the same disruptive hellspawns....and why? Because they don't teach them anything.

...it would seem like an uphill battle...

...also, our teachers are payed like garbage, so if they actually had higher pay and a more strict guideline of leadership skills as well as their own ability to teach, and they made this the standard for every state? Oh yeah. Shit would be off the hook....but the parents need to want it for their kids, and the kids need to learn what's at stake, and how finite their time in blissful irresponsibility is going to be, compared to the toils of adult life.

In short, it's everyone's fault. Fuck.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 17:07:21

At 1/2/13 04:23 PM, Urban-Champion wrote: I feel that the only thing our system needs to address is the "regurgitation means learning" issue

100% agree with this. When schools gain funding based on test scores, they pretty much tunnel vision on scantron test results and prioritize kids learning JUST the information on the mass-printed paper packets, or whatever happens to be on that curriculum. It's the major, huge difference between college and high school.

granted, there are many, many college courses that follow something similar, the teaching methods vary wildly.

There's something to be said, though, for an efficient, cost and time effective means of processing a fuckload of information when you're talking about the volume of kids these days...I mean, these schools are packed... but by the schools focusing on cramming for the test, cramming for the test, cramming for the test, THEY/WE DO regurgitate it all out for said test, and then fail to retain the information.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 21:38:56

I dunno man, I just do my work and I don't bitch. You're complaining about the education system of the US (hell, your profile even states that you're in the part of the US that has the best education system) yet you're completely unaware of the horrid education systems there are out there in the world, like in Africa and the Middle East. Sure, America might not be as good as Finland or Hong Kong, but it's certainly not the worst. Be grateful of the opportunities that present you and stop bitching about the negative.

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 21:50:36

At 1/2/13 09:49 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 1/2/13 05:39 AM, Jomillex wrote: Another thing I can't stand is (for most teachers) They think they need to put on a show!
Shakespeare is cool!
MacBeth is ROCK AND ROLL!!! KIDS!!!!

KIIDDDSS!!! AAAAGAHGAHGH

The school system's teaching styles

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 21:52:39

Living in a world of retards leads to a series of systems based on retards.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 21:54:32

If I could go back and redo Highschool I surely would have chosen to be home schooled instead.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to The school system's teaching styles 2013-01-02 22:25:36

At 1/2/13 09:49 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 1/2/13 05:39 AM, Jomillex wrote: Another thing I can't stand is (for most teachers) They think they need to put on a show!
Shakespeare is cool!
MacBeth is ROCK AND ROLL!!! KIDS!!!!

KIIDDDSS!!! AAAAGAHGAHGH

Aaand this is why I can't stand my math class.

BBS Signature