00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to best evaluate?

780 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to best evaluate? 2012-11-28 05:55:43

I was wondering, what was the major criteria in evaluating arts.
What do you guys evaluate first, what do you guys look at when you start looking for some new things on the
galery.

What call you guys attention in art terms?

see ya :D

Response to How to best evaluate? 2012-11-28 07:19:06

Well, the thing that grabs someone's attention will always be different from person to person.

And even with some people, myself included, will vary from day to day and change with my mood. Things that usually stand out more often though would be really strong line work and strong shading in black and white pictures. And in color pictures well... I don't know... guess that just varies too much

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to How to best evaluate? 2012-11-28 08:41:05

At 11/28/12 07:19 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Well, the thing that grabs someone's attention will always be different from person to person.

And even with some people, myself included, will vary from day to day and change with my mood. Things that usually stand out more often though would be really strong line work and strong shading in black and white pictures. And in color pictures well... I don't know... guess that just varies too much

I see, that´s curious, I don´t get influenced by my mood while I´m "judging" things.. but it´s curious what you´ve sayd.. well for me.. i love the xpressions and fine color jobs.
but thanks for the answer ;)

Response to How to best evaluate? 2012-11-28 10:03:53

At 11/28/12 05:55 AM, Visilveira wrote: I was wondering, what was the major criteria in evaluating arts.
What do you guys evaluate first, what do you guys look at when you start looking for some new things on the
galery.

I tend to look at art on a whole variety of levels, and it varies from piece to piece. The first aspect I look at is just the overall piece. What is there, what can I physically see. Is the composition good (or is there one even)? What do the colors do (if there are colors)? Is the subject matter represented accurate (is there a subject matter and is it supposed to be accurate)?
After a brief time spent analyzing what is visually apparent I then start to think about the intention or thought process behind the piece. What was the artist going for, and for what reasons did they choose that. Were they successful?

What call you guys attention in art terms?

As far as personal preferences im drawn more towards realistic representations of things. Im also a sucker for excellent composition. Color isnt important (i actually prefer stuff in a neutral color scheme). Clean presentation is also crucial to get my attention, sloppy or messy shading and line work tends to turn me away from a piece (uncontrolled sloppyness, not intentionally wavy linework or shading outside the bounds).

Response to How to best evaluate? 2012-11-28 19:32:34

I just go with whatever suits my tastes at the moment. For example, if I am digging a certain series, I will look up art for it. Other times, if I just want to look up cute things, I will do so. When I judge a product, I usually try to judge based on things like color scheme, line work, shading, etc. If it's good, it's good, and I probably will like it. If it's crap, I just take a quick peek and move on and usually try not to say anything, unless it's something I find offensive.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature