00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept

1,414 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-03 01:25:20

ITs ipad 2.5D platformer game concepts please like my page if you like or any suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wizardstudioz/149274751808388 ?ref=hl

Thankyou,

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-03 08:40:09

At 11/3/12 01:25 AM, creativenandu wrote: ITs ipad 2.5D platformer game concepts please like my page if you like or any suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wizardstudioz/149274751808388 ?ref=hl

Thankyou,

Looks great, though the hand holding the staff looks to much like it's clenched in a fist. If you look at a reference you'll see why the thumb can't overlay the fingers like you drew it.

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-03 12:20:27

That's a great point about the hand. Otherwise, I really like the dynamic coloring of this-- and the costume design, too!

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-03 20:00:14

It's incredibly generic looking, sure, but the overall quality of the art isn't bad. I just wish everyone wasn't trying to rip off J.R.R Tolkein all the time. I know he made some great fantasy conventions which are now overused and dull (a point I will parody to no end in my parody action/RPG), but come on!

Not dissing the QUALITY of the piece...I am just saying you should try and make your wizard...Less generic looking. Anyways, that's my two cents on the issue.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-04 12:15:33

At 11/3/12 08:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: It's incredibly generic looking, sure, but the overall quality of the art isn't bad. I just wish everyone wasn't trying to rip off J.R.R Tolkein all the time. I know he made some great fantasy conventions which are now overused and dull (a point I will parody to no end in my parody action/RPG), but come on!

Not dissing the QUALITY of the piece...I am just saying you should try and make your wizard...Less generic looking. Anyways, that's my two cents on the issue.

The wizard is great, the colors are really nice too. I'd say that his "fire" hand looks a little small compared to his overall anatomy and I see no feet whatsoever which he should have because his robe is not actually touching the ground, it's more like just floating there. If he's meant to be floating, I'd just to bring a little bit more so there's not confusion. I really like the little book hanging there but personally I think it would look better if it was hanging from the back of book rather from the front of the book. The design on the robe is solid only problem is that the lower left part of the robe seems flat, and it doesn't like it was shaded with the rest of the image, I'd rework on that and use the top part of the robe as reference, and you're good.

Now listen HiryuGouki, Every time I come upon a post by you I realize that you know nothing of what you are talking about. God. Just woow. Look stereotypes serve to give everyone a general understanding of what they're looking at (in art of course) a wizard, has a long beard, and is old. That is stereotype to follow. You can add all of your originality to a character but a wizard is a wizard, and you're gonna have him looking like an Tolkien creation. Cause if you take away the beard and make him young, you're still gonna have to use similar clothing to the one in this image because face it, that's a wizard. It's either that or Harry Potter looking guy, period. Same with orks, and unicorns, and elves, and dragons. Fantasy art will always have a certain set of rules to follow, that's just it. Also the shameless plug was just un called for, it makes your whole post sound dumb, and a call for attention so stop.

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-04 18:19:21

Now listen HiryuGouki, Every time I come upon a post by you I realize that you know nothing of what you are talking about. God. Just woow. Look stereotypes serve to give everyone a general understanding of what they're looking at (in art of course) a wizard, has a long beard, and is old. That is stereotype to follow. You can add all of your originality to a character but a wizard is a wizard, and you're gonna have him looking like an Tolkien creation. Cause if you take away the beard and make him young, you're still gonna have to use similar clothing to the one in this image because face it, that's a wizard. It's either that or Harry Potter looking guy, period. Same with orks, and unicorns, and elves, and dragons. Fantasy art will always have a certain set of rules to follow, that's just it. Also the shameless plug was just un called for, it makes your whole post sound dumb, and a call for attention so stop.

Fantasy does have its conventions, but rules are meant to be broken. A unicorn is whatever the hell I want it to be; it doesn't have to just be a horned horse that's benevolent and wise. A wizard isn't always a man in his old age, nor does it even have to be a guy. A dragon doesn't have to be a giant flying lizard. All I am saying is that maybe he could try to be a little more creative in how he thinks about his characters. Again, the quality is excellent, that I will not deny, but instead of re-using stereotypes, why not create new characters that don't necessarily don't fit in with any stereotypes? Why not make a whole new concept of a character? You could have a character who is a freelancer, a jack of all trades, a magic swordsman, which I see very little of today, a winged, shorter-neck version of a dragon with a chubbier figure and more than six legs. That could be a dragon, and that's an entirely new way of doing it too.

So no, you don't have to follow certain rules to get something classified as something else, that's unimaginative in my eyes. Again, not doubting the quality of the art, it's just the concept that needs some work. I realize I have a lot of work to do as well, but my point still stands. I see way too many stereotypes and would like to see some new ones being made instead of everyone trying to rip off JRR Tolkien.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-04 18:52:31

At 11/4/12 06:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I see way too many stereotypes and would like to see some new ones being made instead of everyone trying to rip off JRR Tolkien.

So just because he's a male with a beard and a robe, he's a stereotypical Tolkien wizard?
I'm sorry, but your definitions are so loose and vague that you could call everything that occurs in the fantasy realm to be a ripoff of Tolkien, according to your judgement.

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-04 20:10:31

It's a really impressive drawing, even though there are those issues with both hands that have been mentioned before. I like the pose you chose, while it might not seem like something special, it is still very dynamic and conveys the supposed power of the wizard. I like the contrast and generally the good job you did with the different light sources. From the facial expression, the skin color and the color scheme of the clothing, I get the impression that he could be an evil wizard. It would be nice to get some more info about the game's story and gameplay. I am just curious. Good job overall.

@Mabelma: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the robe can cover his feet from this perspective even if it doesn't quite touch the ground.

About the Tolkien discussion. He looks NOTHING like any Tolkien wizard design I have ever seen. Even if you could find one that looks somewhat similar, it's still far from being "typical".

BBS Signature

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-05 11:47:43

At 11/4/12 08:10 PM, Luwano wrote: @Mabelma: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the robe can cover his feet from this perspective even if it doesn't quite touch the ground.

You're right, they would cover his feet, but I really think he should make it either touch the ground properly or raising a little higher, cause right now it's difficult at least for me to know where he's standing. It's the lower part of the robe that bothers me, the whitish color.

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-05 11:56:07

At 11/5/12 11:47 AM, Mabelma wrote:
At 11/4/12 08:10 PM, Luwano wrote: @Mabelma: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the robe can cover his feet from this perspective even if it doesn't quite touch the ground.
You're right, they would cover his feet, but I really think he should make it either touch the ground properly or raising a little higher, cause right now it's difficult at least for me to know where he's standing. It's the lower part of the robe that bothers me, the whitish color.

I can't understand how it's bothering you.. he got it bang on.. that's exactly how it would flair out.. i like this pic over all, and you have some considerable talent, I too find his hands to be a bit small.. and his face seems washed out.. your environmental paints and lighting is very strong, right now his entire robe seems a little flat to me tho.. it needs more gradation in the forshortening.. a bit more rendering maybe..

NEW DPI STUDIOS ART BOOK CAMPAIGN

CHECK IT

COME LOOK>> BUY A BOOK :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ipad Platformer Game Art Concept 2012-11-05 14:03:16

This is the part I mean, see how it's just floating there.