00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How Common Is Art Theft...

994 Views | 13 Replies

How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 17:33:04

Here on Newgrounds? Just thought I would ask the simple question, seeing as it's pretty common on a lot of other art sites.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:00:37

Creative Commons is one hell of a license.

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:10:56

the real question is why does it matter?

0 to the Bombchu

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:29:20

Flash movies are ripped all the time, that's why there's the NG API - making you money from going viral since 2009.

As for art... You're screwed?

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:38:03

it does not happen to u when you are cool like m e

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:40:02

Why do you care? Do you really think someone who has to steal art is going anywhere with what they stole? I mean, no one is going to get a gig doing concept art for Tim Burton with your illustrations.

My power is the only power.

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 19:45:43

At 10/18/12 07:40 PM, DevinArcane wrote: I mean, no one is going to get a gig doing concept art for Tim Burton with your illustrations.

validest point of all tim e

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 20:35:59

At 10/18/12 07:25 PM, Urban-Champion wrote: it might not matter to you because you haven't contributed any content that you truly put effort into

least I have contributed I took what few audio I have had down in 08 and one flash. and I can score down any submission pretty hard with my Voting Power I can vote 0 for two weeks and ruin a whole accounts submissions

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-18 20:43:20

This looks more like a topic better suited to this sub-forum.

Art theft is extremely rare on Newgrounds; once it's noticed (and art thieves rarely go more then a day without being caught) the moderators delete the crap they pass off as their own and tell them to grow some balls and draw their own art.

However, the term "Art Theft" is hyperbole; they're not redistributing it outside of the means the artists themselves would, they can't technically sell it outside of prints (which you can't do on Newgrounds) and their crimes are generally comprised of desperately wanting to have your skill. It's a pointless and profitless endeavour.

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-19 03:44:04

At 10/18/12 05:33 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: seeing as it's pretty common on a lot of other art sites.

Seeing that this is the internet I'm not expecting a full fledged thesis but can you please provide a citation for this statement? Regardless, art theft would become readily apparent from your portfolio not matching up, and not being able to provide sufficient evidence stating that this is your work if contacted. Everything you do on the internet leaves a trail...so no point in trying to steal or being worried of being stolen from.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-19 04:13:27

At 10/18/12 07:40 PM, DevinArcane wrote: Why do you care? Do you really think someone who has to steal art is going anywhere with what they stole? I mean, no one is going to get a gig doing concept art for Tim Burton with your illustrations.

I'm pretty sure Tim Burton has a hard enough time pushing his "dark re-imagining" of The Sound of Music or some shit.

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-19 12:06:35

At 10/18/12 08:35 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
least I have contributed I took what few audio I have had down in 08 and one flash. and I can score down any submission pretty hard with my Voting Power I can vote 0 for two weeks and ruin a whole accounts submissions

Wow...Another confession made by the infamous Tony-DarkGrave. God, I wish voting power was not based on level. It's a bullshit system.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-19 12:25:18

At 10/19/12 12:07 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Who would steal your art?
I mean, seriously.

I honestly don't know. I know I have some fans, and I know some people think my art is good (not to toot my own horn or anything), but I don't know anybody who would steal my art, nor have I had my art stolen.

BBS Signature

Response to How Common Is Art Theft... 2012-10-19 14:18:29

At 10/19/12 04:13 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: \"dark re-imagining" of The Sound of Music or some shit.

Are you aware of how badass that could turn out?

My power is the only power.