00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

3kip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wii U will win the console wars/why

4,078 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-03 21:05:11

At 10/3/12 08:58 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 10/3/12 08:40 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/3/12 08:30 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
One issue I'd like to bring up is that so called "low storage hard drive". 32 GB isn't and insane amount, but the Wii U accepts external storage devices, including USB storage. So don't tell me that is an extreme inconvenience for you.
What the hell is this?! You're telling me this 8th generation console will hold less memory then a standard Xbox 360 hard drive. Noooo....Really?-NOOOO! This has to be a sick joke.
No it's not...

Now that I think about it Nintendo's not really big on DLC so it won't matter regardless. Plus it's not like they won't be selling SD cards or whatever form of memory they sell with the WiiU.

Truth hurts bro.

Not much of a Nintendo fan.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-03 22:53:44

That, and I would also like to throw in. Storage and external hard drives have gone down so much in the last five to six years. I remember when 513 megabyte external storage would set you back at least two hundred. You can get up to Terabytes now.

As far as the Unreal Engine 4 goes. I can say that Epic themselves said "that it could be ported to the Wii U."

I just want to add, it is up to game developers. They can decide themselves if they want to use it, or make a exclusive game for the Wii U

Source
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31117

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-04 22:06:31

At 10/3/12 02:41 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 10/3/12 02:33 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also motion control lol. Come back when someone actually understands how to make it work with gameplay, pretty much anyone with any common sense can answer that but we have yet to see any of those being hired by companies.
So motion controls didn't work in skyward sword?

Apparently the controls in that game were so unresponsive, the game was completely unplayable.

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-04 22:23:17

At 10/3/12 08:40 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/3/12 08:30 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
One issue I'd like to bring up is that so called "low storage hard drive". 32 GB isn't and insane amount, but the Wii U accepts external storage devices, including USB storage. So don't tell me that is an extreme inconvenience for you.
What the hell is this?! You're telling me this 8th generation console will hold less memory then a standard Xbox 360 hard drive. Noooo....Really?-NOOOO! This has to be a sick joke.
No it's not...

Truth hurts bro.

I'm gonna be honest that is pretty bad, but Nintendo did do everything to keep the cost down. Hell, the controller will retail for $160 so it was either not include the tablet controller or something else. However in this day and age who doesn't have a removable drive of some sort? And besides it's not like the 360 doesn't do the same thing and on that note, it's no surprise the PS3 is still more expensive. Perhaps somewhere down the like Nintendo will have a bundle with a Hard Drive included so if that were to be the case, problem solved.

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 18:36:40

Nintendo will be king of console graphics once again - That is until PS4 and Nextbox are released.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 20:26:02

Anyone wanna see how pretty the WiiU Can be? Then watch this video, and set it to 1080p! Or Come look at these Pictures!

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 20:54:53

At 10/5/12 08:26 PM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote: Anyone wanna see how pretty the WiiU Can be? Then watch this video, and set it to 1080p! Or Come look at these Pictures!

Most Colorful games look fantastic in HD.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 21:35:55

At 10/5/12 09:33 PM, Escalus wrote:
Looks like a Gamecube game in HD... (Then again, a lot of colorful and vibrant games "look" beautiful)
"Capcom confirmed to Famitsu magazine That Monster Hunter Ultimate has been Re textured in NATIVE 1080p . Its not upscaled."

Jesus you REALLY hate Nintendo huh?

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 22:58:56

At 10/5/12 06:24 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
At 10/4/12 10:06 PM, JoSilver wrote:
At 10/3/12 02:41 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: So motion controls didn't work in skyward sword?
Apparently the controls in that game were so unresponsive, the game was completely unplayable.
Actually they worked fine.

Buy one of theses.

Wii U will win the console wars/why

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-05 23:34:35

At 10/5/12 09:42 PM, Escalus wrote: Looks like a Gamecube game in HD... (Then again, a lot of colorful and vibrant games "look" beautiful)

As a person who is obviously an artist you should know that is the truth right there. Making a game look good has nothing to do with the brute force of a GPU. Nintendo has gone to extreme lengths to prove this, two examples would be Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. These games are stunning to look at with their only flaw being their not in "1080p". I don't care if you're being sarcastic or not but the fact is overall art direction is what makes a game look good not realism. Albeit when something is rendered in the most beautiful fashion possible it can make even better than before, but doesn't it say more when it can be amazing despite it technical limitations?

"Capcom confirmed to Famitsu magazine That Monster Hunter Ultimate has been Re textured in NATIVE 1080p . Its not upscaled."

Do you even know what that means? Because I don't know how that helps your argument. Are you defending the game or what?

Now, what I'm pointing out for those screenshots "Proving the power of the WiiU", is that it isn't "Proving" a thing, it's a port of Monster Hunter 3DS with Re-textures in NATIVE 1080p. It's not HD, nor does it prove "The WiiU's powerful graphics capabilities"

They said the game was re-texture to "NATIVE 1080p", not unscaled. That means the artists have gone and redo the game textures to look good in "NATIVE 1080p", keyword "NATIVE"! Instead of just blowing all the textures up they've redone them to look good in HD!!!

Admittedly, Monster Hunter is not the best game to show off the power of the Wii U but then again that video sure was. Good thing you completely danced around that one.

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 06:07:45

At 10/5/12 09:42 PM, Escalus wrote:
Now, what I'm pointing out for those screenshots "Proving the power of the WiiU", is that it isn't "Proving" a thing, it's a port of Monster Hunter 3DS with Re-textures in NATIVE 1080p. It's not HD, nor does it prove "The WiiU's powerful graphics capabilities"

Ummmmm, you do know that it's not a straight up port if they re-modeled everything to be in NATIVE 1080p, which is naturally HD. Also, the game is going to be running at 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS... Being 1080p and 60 FPS from the start, kind of does prove "The WiiU's powerful graphics capabilities".

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 10:19:16

I think the Wii U might win because of good third-party support. They're really trying to do something more edgy to bring in the more hardcore gamers while still keeping the casual crowd, which is a good marketing strategy, but it will only work until the NextBox and PlayStation Orbis (that's one of the concept names for the PS4) come out. We should be seeing new consoles in 2014, so the Wii U will have a one and a half year head start. After all, the Sega Dreamcast did, but look where THAT ended up. Hopefully, Nintendo should get some third party support that will keep the console selling until maybe 2016, and that's being generous, considering the Wii has so far lasted until now.

Though, hopefully, they pack the Wii U with the remote, touch-pad AND one controller all packaged for about $300. Also, they need to have backwards compatibility with Wii and Gamecube games if they want to keep their place in the market. If I buy a Wii U, I expect to be able to play Muramasa: The Demon Blade on it, considering that the controller it's coming with will make playing it a dream come true. Also, Bayonetta 2.

They really, REALLY need to step up their game if they want to succeed, and I sincerely hope they got rid of the friend code system and instead follow Sony and Microsoft's examples.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 10:37:05

There won't really be a clear "winner". That is like asking out of Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter, who will come out on top. They are all separate monopolies, and they will reign as long as they have an army of annoying fanboys.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 12:41:32

The game devs seem to agree that the Wii U is "it". Many console exclusives and they realize it is the best decision, economically. The "hardcore" PS3/Xbox market is tiny, and they have bascially become FPS platforms. Most people don't want that.

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 13:34:31

At 10/6/12 12:41 PM, LemonCrush wrote: The game devs seem to agree that the Wii U is "it". Many console exclusives and they realize it is the best decision, economically. The "hardcore" PS3/Xbox market is tiny, and they have bascially become FPS platforms. Most people don't want that.

Amen Brother! I've really only played like 3 shooters in the last 5 years and already I'm sick of em....

Except for TF2... That never gets old.

Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why 2012-10-06 13:40:04

At 10/6/12 08:51 AM, Escalus wrote: Re-texturing a 3DS game and porting it to a WiiU isn't proving it's capabilities, it's re-releasing a game with a few perks, on a console that it's creators "claim" is extremely powerful. If THAT's proving a console's capability, then that new Kingdom Hearts 1.5 collection on the PS3 is the best looking re-textured HD port that was ever conceived.

You really know what you can take away from Monster Hunter or any other game I've seen for the Wii U? It can run games at 1080p at 60 fps with almost zero aliasing. The PS3 and 360 can't even kinda do that.