00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Otto's New Grotto

16,953 Views | 120 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-29 14:24:54

At 10/15/12 05:42 PM, EJR wrote: Redraw it

There's no good way of saying this but I don't have a soul so no, I won't :(

At 10/25/12 06:46 PM, Dromedary wrote: love your art, man.

Thanks Drommy

here's some shitty pen sketches I did whilst watching really old Mock The Week episodes. A million points to anyone who can guess who any of these people are supposed to be.

Otto's New Grotto

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-10-29 14:28:11

At 10/29/12 02:24 PM, Otto wrote: A million points to anyone who can guess who any of these people are supposed to be.

Is the one with the glasses the pig owner from snatch? What's his name.. Brick face, tin brick, brick top something..?

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-07 16:06:32

At 10/29/12 02:28 PM, Lundsfryd wrote:
At 10/29/12 02:24 PM, Otto wrote: A million points to anyone who can guess who any of these people are supposed to be.
Is the one with the glasses the pig owner from snatch? What's his name.. Brick face, tin brick, brick top something..?

Ahh no sorry, it was Frankie Boyle.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OBAMA

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-07 16:48:00

At 11/7/12 04:06 PM, Otto wrote:
At 10/29/12 02:28 PM, Lundsfryd wrote:
Ahh no sorry, it was Frankie Boyle.

Oh then I think I know the guy above him. It's the guy who always has a pint and wears a school jackett on stage. Anyways.. This is Brick top.I still think your drawing looks a bit like him :)

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-12 13:40:34

At 11/7/12 04:48 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: Oh then I think I know the guy above him. It's the guy who always has a pint and wears a school jackett on stage. Anyways.. This is Brick top.I still think your drawing looks a bit like him :)

Heh well you're surely not wrong

hey doodz it's my thespian friendo

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-12 13:43:05

Various caricatures of Bishop Welby

In other news I'm going to have my first ever go at a bit of digital painting this evening, lets see how it goes by tomorrow yeah

wish me luck, if you got any tips hit me up

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-24 16:11:22

watch out for the

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-26 21:03:29

First life drawing doing a lady girl woman

annoyingly hard

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-26 21:06:55

I finished that one early so did a quick one in 15 minutes that frankly I like a lot more, daww

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-26 21:10:14

Hmm, all these are A1 so there's a big detail loss, so sadly that means all you have to go on is tone, which is by far my worst bit. I tried harder on it here though.

usually I am a quality of line whore

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-26 21:13:33

At 11/26/12 09:10 PM, Otto wrote: Hmm, all these are A1 so there's a big detail loss, so sadly that means all you have to go on is tone, which is by far my worst bit. I tried harder on it here though.

usually I am a quality of line whore

aw piss

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-27 08:18:12

More boring life drawing then, though this one's all in biro if that makes you guys happier

Anyone have any crit on these bits here?

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-27 08:22:39

last one I promise, then I'm gonna finish my first digital piece avec tablet a la PsCS6

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-28 11:25:58

oh my god someone please tech me how to paint

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-28 14:11:18

At 11/28/12 11:25 AM, Otto wrote: oh my god someone please tech me how to paint

Maybe someone should learn you how to spell 'teach' first huh.

I know it's a typo, I'm just joking with ya.

That looks great though. Looks just like Mr Romney. And I'm sure it'll look even better when it's finished.
(If you're into caricatures you should definitely check out Jason Seiler if you don't know him already.)

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-11-28 21:25:21

Thanks man! Think I preferred it before frankly. Well there it is folks, my first digital painting, please please tell me how I can get better at this malarky

See not horrible quality here

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-02 12:23:25

how is pannting formed

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-02 14:25:13

sort of very small update but really I'm just procrastinating

apologies

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-02 15:01:29

At 12/2/12 02:25 PM, Otto wrote: sort of very small update but really I'm just procrastinating

apologies

I absolutely love the way this one is coming along.

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-02 15:44:33

At 11/28/12 09:25 PM, Otto wrote: Thanks man! Think I preferred it before frankly. Well there it is folks, my first digital painting, please please tell me how I can get better at this malarky

See not horrible quality here

This is really great for your first digital painting, and I love the contrast of that kind of realism in the face and flatness of his clothes.
I think the only thing I would add is some shading in the teeth. How it is now kind of works because of the way his clothes are, but since it's a part of his face, it just strikes me as something that would be shaded with the rest of it.

SO ANYHOW, I love your thread, and I bet your sketchbook is really fun to flip through in real life.

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-05 15:32:41

At 12/2/12 03:01 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: I absolutely love the way this one is coming along.

Thanks man! I always appreciate it

At 12/2/12 03:44 PM, monsterparty wrote: This is really great for your first digital painting, and I love the contrast of that kind of realism in the face and flatness of his clothes.
I think the only thing I would add is some shading in the teeth. How it is now kind of works because of the way his clothes are, but since it's a part of his face, it just strikes me as something that would be shaded with the rest of it.

SO ANYHOW, I love your thread, and I bet your sketchbook is really fun to flip through in real life.

Thankyou kindly. I think you're really right, I did some sloppy joppies on the teeth there (and the hairline/hair). I'll tidy it up later, after I hopefully get to grips with the whole digital painting thing. I'm not so great tonally; I usually draw all my plains with line because I'm lazy.

Speaking of which, here's some of my face. It's part of my News project; I'm putting on my News-Specs to see things from an end-of-the-world perspective.

The four eyes of the apocalypse. Pretty sure this picture is going to look absolutely rank what with all the shrinking and quality reduction lol.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-05 15:34:15

Here's Bill O'Reilly to really make things worse. Happy Christmas.

Here's better-res

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-06 20:11:42

eh sketchbook; bottom half of an A4 page because I'm too skint to pay for two sketchbooks so I cut one in half

watercolours boomboom

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-07 16:59:32

Really nice stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-08 00:54:23

trippy stuff! I like it!

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-08 20:45:37

At 12/7/12 04:59 PM, JamieWelch wrote: Really nice stuff!
At 12/8/12 12:54 AM, wash wrote: trippy stuff! I like it!

Thanks folks!

I didn't time this but it was probably 5-10 minutes tops, but I wanted some seriously critical feedback on these unreferenced studies (is it a study with no reference?) I had a go at whacking out this out but I wander if anyone can point out things I need to work on that I'm not seeing. Please and thankyou, onwards and upwards.

as I post this I realise my my my what a low down arse

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2012-12-09 08:07:00

At 12/8/12 08:45 PM, Otto wrote: I didn't time this but it was probably 5-10 minutes tops, but I wanted some seriously critical feedback on these unreferenced studies (is it a study with no reference?) I had a go at whacking out this out but I wander if anyone can point out things I need to work on that I'm not seeing. Please and thankyou, onwards and upwards.

Well for 5-10 minutes it's pretty good.
I know I'm guilty doing it myself all the time but maybe stay away from shading until you're absolutely certain about the sketch. It's a lot harder trying to make adjustments with a paintbrush than with a pencil (figuratively speaking of course, it's obviously drawn digitally).
For one there seems to be some kind of odd tense muscle between the neck and the right shoulder which doesn't look right in combination with the loosely hanging right-arm. It looks as if he's stuck in between two different poses at the same time.
Same thing with the feet and hips: The heel of the right foot seems to be off the ground which would cause the hip skew counterclockwise, yet it the hip's angle seems to be going the other way.

A neat little trick to correct these kind of mistakes is to cover up the parts of your drawing that don't look right with your hand and trying to figure out what's going on behind the hand. It's a trick similar to flipping the canvas horizontally (something you can only do digitally). But the best way to avoid them is to draw a stick figure-skeletons until you're more comfortable thinking out poses (I'm definitely not even close to that stage myself).

Otto's New Grotto

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2013-01-22 19:10:17

At 12/9/12 08:07 AM, MrFap wrote: A neat little trick to correct these kind of mistakes is to cover up the parts of your drawing that don't look right with your hand and trying to figure out what's going on behind the hand. It's a trick similar to flipping the canvas horizontally (something you can only do digitally). But the best way to avoid them is to draw a stick figure-skeletons until you're more comfortable thinking out poses (I'm definitely not even close to that stage myself).

Thankyou very much for that man, I've been trying out that cover-up technique and it does work. I'll have some new figures up soon I hopes!

Here's a drawing of the inside of my head, 0.2mm ink fineliner straight to paper. I've given up sketching in pencil first, unless it's important.

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2013-01-22 20:24:31

At 1/22/13 07:10 PM, Otto wrote:
Here's a drawing of the inside of my head, 0.2mm ink fineliner straight to paper. I've given up sketching in pencil first, unless it's important.

I dig that to a pretty high degree
Sick work man, keep it up

Response to Otto's New Grotto 2013-01-27 19:00:51

At 1/22/13 08:24 PM, 372 wrote:
At 1/22/13 07:10 PM, Otto wrote:
I dig that to a pretty high degree
Sick work man, keep it up

Thanks very much man!

old animations put in a gif because they're going in my portfolio for an animation course right now. I don't know if they're good enough, but I'd like it if you guys could reassure me or confirm my doubts, either way is fine!

Otto's New Grotto

BBS Signature