00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique..?

1,079 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique..? 2012-09-02 21:34:20

Umm so yeah, I don't really ask for critique because I'm usually sensitive to it.. but here I go anyway.
Submited a picture, got a really low rating lol. So I'm just wondering what is it I need to work on? I know the hat and part of the shirt is solid black, it's not that I'm lazy about making it detailed, it's just that I personally like the way it looks. So does it look bad because it's plain? or sloppy? Or I need to work on the face? I need some serious feedback though...don't say something mean like "that really sucks" >.>

Critique..?

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-02 22:42:46

not bad at all but there are some things that are distracting i think.

his nose is really big and anatomically incorrect. the lines and shades make it look like the top of the nose is sticking out

related to the nose issue is the spread of his eyes, they seem to far apart.

his underlip is very light and doesnt have a clear border. it looks swollen

this is clearly a boy, but the top part of his face looks very feminine, maybe that is your intention. If not maybe roughen the eyebrows a bit

and even though you already adressed it, why wouldnt you add a bit of depth to the hat? you can keep the color dark, but make it a bit more 'forming'. your choice of course

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-02 22:54:16

The only real advice I can give is to finish it. It looks unfinished to me, but that's just my take on it.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-02 23:27:01

First and foremost crop it better, all of that unnecessary space detracts from it overall big time. Then you're going to want to sharpen your edges, make the black parts as defined as possible. . The whites of the eyes should be whiter and the pupils should be blacker, make them pop. Maybe through in some reflection on the pupils. The neck sort o looks like it is resting on an amorphous black blob so give is a more curved collar. I think you pretty much nailed the light stubble though so congrats on that.
I hastily made a visual aid in MS paint for you just to give a very basic look at what I'm saying.

Critique..?

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 00:42:59

@Tomsan Thanks for the critique. Lol as for it being slightly feminine...I usually tend to draw males intentionally feminine, so when I try to draw them masculine they still turm out kinda girly. x]

@HiryuGouki Lol, yeah its finished. I wouldn't really call it a sketch..but it's just a quick thing I did.

@JackDGreatest Thanks :] oops...I usually add shine to the eyes, I don't know why I didn't for this one. As for sharpening the edges, I'd prefer a softer look..I dunno that's just me. But cropping it more, and fixing the collar I agree with.

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 00:56:45

It's a nice rendering of a face but...
As you've already admitted, the face does look a bit feminine. And the nose has a rather high bridge.
I don't think it's much use to edit this one and re-upload it looks good enough.
But for future reference when drawing masculine faces:
- expressed cheekbones
- Adam's apple

Critique..?

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 06:10:08

At 9/3/12 12:56 AM, MrFap wrote: It's a nice rendering of a face but...
As you've already admitted, the face does look a bit feminine. And the nose has a rather high bridge.
I don't think it's much use to edit this one and re-upload it looks good enough.
But for future reference when drawing masculine faces:
- expressed cheekbones
- Adam's apple

that looks more feminine than before, those eyes look extremely female and almost as if he/she has mascara on their eyes

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 06:42:40

At 9/2/12 09:34 PM, iVomit wrote: Umm so yeah, I don't really ask for critique because I'm usually sensitive to it.. but here I go anyway.
Submited a picture, got a really low rating lol. So I'm just wondering what is it I need to work on? I know the hat and part of the shirt is solid black, it's not that I'm lazy about making it detailed, it's just that I personally like the way it looks. So does it look bad because it's plain?

I'd say it's this. The biggest technical problem I can point out is that his face is too big for his head; a good guideline is to have the eyes halfway down the head.
In the image below I made his face a bit smaller and lowered it, furthermore I flattened out his nose a bit, it was very prominent. As a follow-up to mrfap's advice I gave him a stronger jawbone to make him more manly if that's what you were after. Mostly though I'd say this image is kind of bland.
Regardless; don't pay the art portal scores too much attention; the newgrounds userbase has shown on more than one occasion to have no clue as to what is or isn't good art.

Critique..?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 11:40:54

At 9/3/12 06:10 AM, Lucky wrote: that looks more feminine than before, those eyes look extremely female and almost as if he/she has mascara on their eyes

Haha, you're right. And I forgot to add the cheekbones to. That'll teach me for messing with other peoples drawings.

Critique..?

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 13:17:24

At 9/2/12 09:34 PM, iVomit wrote: Umm so yeah, I don't really ask for critique because I'm usually sensitive to it.. but here I go anyway.
Submited a picture, got a really low rating lol. So I'm just wondering what is it I need to work on? I know the hat and part of the shirt is solid black, it's not that I'm lazy about making it detailed, it's just that I personally like the way it looks. So does it look bad because it's plain? or sloppy? Or I need to work on the face? I need some serious feedback though...don't say something mean like "that really sucks" >.>

I dig the super black pupils, made me think of a demon so I kept that. I personally think it needs some more contrast, besides the already mentioned things I think contrast is key on this one but don't get discouraged though, it's a really nice image, just fix the things everyone mentioned and you'll be good. Also I fucking like how it's like just hovering in mid air, looks like a bust and I really like that.

Critique..?

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 13:53:08

I love the amount of paintovers in this thread.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 14:03:38

At 9/3/12 01:53 PM, J-qb wrote: I love the amount of paintovers in this thread.

Haha yeah! I love it when everyone pulls together to help out :3
I'd help too but it's already better than anything i could do.

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 14:25:39

At 9/3/12 01:53 PM, J-qb wrote: I love the amount of paintovers in this thread.

Jajajaja, it's inspiring to see the whole community unite to help an individual get better.

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 15:26:15

Thanks for the critiques. I appreciate how everyone took the time out to actually show me what I needed to work on. All the advice given has been extremely helpful. x]

Response to Critique..? 2012-09-03 16:41:28

At 9/3/12 03:26 PM, iVomit wrote: Thanks for the critiques. I appreciate how everyone took the time out to actually show me what I needed to work on. All the advice given has been extremely helpful. x]

No worries, mate just fix up your image and let's see how it comes out :)