00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Waimor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

42,437 Views | 359 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 11:27:02

At 11/12/12 03:47 AM, Lucky wrote:
At 11/10/12 10:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: BAM!!! Something other than women! How about that, eh? Also, this is part one of...a few sketches for the next few days. The end product will be AMAZING!
I'm sure
SARCARM

Thank you for your reply. Glad you caught the mistake before I did anything reckless. So, I guess what I need to fix is the leg, and the arm, right? No problemo!

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 11:32:25

At 11/12/12 08:30 AM, monsterparty wrote:
At 10/11/12 08:27 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 10/11/12 08:05 PM, monsterparty wrote: I think something that would help improve your artwork is line quality. Right now, your lines are kind of hairy. I'd say with anything you sketch, take the time to clean up your lines and give them some weight. That alone will make a huge difference and help establish depth.
Would it help me in my line art in Photoshop?
I forgot that I posted this about line quality, and I didn't realize you replied. The answer is YES. Yes, it will. If you wouldn't mind sending some line work that you did on Photoshop my way, I'd like to show the difference. Maybe it'll help you on your next painting. C:

You can just look at my newest piece in the art portal to figure out the way I do my lines. I usually use the line tool, but this time, I think I am just going for a straight up brush that will blend in with the rest of the picture. Thing is, what I usually do for my sketches, is when I do the lineart for my work, I pick out the lines that make the most sense and cut out ones that don't work for the piece. As for the painting, I am aiming for something similar to this:

http://static.zerochan.net/Gwendolyn.full.204063.jpg

Do you know any tutorials I could find that could really help me on this? I figure this piece is going to take longer than two weeks if I do a sketch a day, do a background, paint each individual character, etc. My new estimate is about three weeks, what with all of the reading I might have to do, as well as picking up some new techniques. As for clouds, I kind of accidentally stumbled onto that one day by using the fade brush and then just blurring it a bit. So, know any good tutorials for this style of painting? That would really be helpful!

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 12:06:55

At 11/12/12 03:47 AM, Lucky wrote:
At 11/10/12 10:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: BAM!!! Something other than women! How about that, eh? Also, this is part one of...a few sketches for the next few days. The end product will be AMAZING!
I'm sure
SARCARM

I appreciate the help and all, but you do know it's stylized, right? Just checking. I went in and corrected what I felt needed to be corrected, such as the angle of the torso, the hand holding the rock, and the leg facing away from the viewer, etc like you pointed out, so it's all good now.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 12:12:54

Hopefully this pose makes a little more sense now than it did. Thanks for your help, Lucky.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 13:52:19

Moar dragons, FTW!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 13:58:54

At 11/12/12 12:12 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Hopefully this pose makes a little more sense now than it did. Thanks for your help, Lucky.

The pose looks better, but the legs still need some work. Another look at Lucky's sketch might help you, as well as maybe looking at Posemaniacs or something for work with the perspective.

Moar dragons, FTW!

The wingspan should probably be bigger. I know dragons are magical and whatnot, but the wing to dragon ratio is a bit off :P

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 14:59:54

What do I do next? Should I start with all of my base colors? What kind of brush should I use and so on? I have already diagrammed where everyone is being placed including the dragons and the heroes.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 16:00:03

This cave sucks ass, I know. Don't remind me. Anyone know what I could do better? Better yet, would anyone mind teaching me how to do this better?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-12 16:42:06

This actually LOOKS like a rock! Hori shet!!!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 11:01:30

I completely re-did the hair, made the hand pulling the string bigger and corrected some subtle errors. Now if only I knew how to line this character in Photoshop. I want the painting to look like this: http://kidfenris.com/valodinsphere.png

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 11:53:23

I have an honest question (ReNaeNae stay away. I know how you like to ban me and delete my posts, but NOW IS NOT THE TIME).

Why do you all just absolutely hate me? If there's anything I could do to change, what would it be?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 12:31:08

At 11/13/12 11:53 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: I have an honest question (ReNaeNae stay away. I know how you like to ban me and delete my posts, but NOW IS NOT THE TIME).

Nope, I'm completely ok with this topic as long as you're aware that you're shitting up your own art thread... and this one will NOT be deleted. Also, if you start crying and making up lame excuse, getting defensive and/or belligerent towards anyone that answers this question... that YOU asked... I will ban you. You've willing opened the flood gates so you're gonna have to accept the consequences.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 13:12:37

At 11/13/12 11:53 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: I have an honest question (ReNaeNae stay away. I know how you like to ban me and delete my posts, but NOW IS NOT THE TIME).

Why do you all just absolutely hate me? If there's anything I could do to change, what would it be?

People don't like you because you aren't willing to take most of our advice, you get quite belligerent, you preoccupy yourself with tangents and meaningless aspects like art portal ratings, you keep worrying about us reacting to your sketches more than the sketches yourself, and you generally just make a mess of things with all this drama. No, the rest of the forum is not blameless per se, you have been singled out on occasion, because your reputation as an immature and mediocre artist precedes you. Yeah, it sucks and isn't fair, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here, and I'm sure others have more to add, I'm writing this from my mobile so I am not gonna write an essay here.

If I had any advice for you, and I should be taking the same exact advice, so you know I'm being genuine, but forget about your stylized drawings for a while. Yes, they are stylized. Are they stylized well? That's another story. If you can easily draw a realistic human in any position you want, you will be able to whip out those stylized anime chicks like you never thought you could.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 14:03:28

You constantly ask for advise and not take it afterwords

You CONSTANTLY bump your thread when it's at the bottom of the thread list begging for advise instead of trying to figure things out on your own

You NEVER figure things out on your own and DEMAND being spoon feed information which you barely fucking use

You now post in other people's threads giving out a)bad adviseb) advise which you cant even take for your own f-ing artor both

You would be THE WORST art school student since you never take the time to improve or listen to that god damn advise and keep on making anime girls calling them your f-ing style.

You're a 20 something year old with the improvement mentality of a 14 year old girl - "Everything i do is amazing! How can it not be, I made it!'

Your art isn't horrible, it's bad, but not horrible. You're just really really reallyfucking annoying and demand to be the centre of attention at all times

There's more i'm sure , I just haven't had my morning coffee yet

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 16:04:16

I need a small bit of advice. I already have a nice contrast here for her hair, but how do I get something like this:

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=hair+painting+tutorial&offse t=48#/d1ufc73

What kind of brush do I use, and how do I produce the somewhat same result?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 16:36:27

At 11/13/12 04:21 PM, EJR wrote:
At 11/13/12 04:04 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I need a small bit of advice. I already have a nice contrast here for her hair, but how do I get something like this:

Use the default brush. Just use different sizes. The shading part requires a bigger brush than the lighting. The instructions are pretty clear.

gl :-)

I am actually trying that right now. And I don't want to seem like I am blowing you guys off, it's just that I want to get this painting done. After I am done painting the archer, I will put her into a background, if anyone would be so kind as to teach me how to paint a cave (that would be really swell and awesome).

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 16:40:57

At 11/13/12 04:04 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I need a small bit of advice. I already have a nice contrast here for her hair, but how do I get something like this:

Why don't you figure out for yourself?
take a picture of hair, draw it. apply learned stuff to your drawing.

Still looks like shit? repeat.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 16:51:57

At 11/13/12 11:53 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Why do you all just absolutely hate me? If there's anything I could do to change, what would it be?

It's because you're someone who never contributes anything useful in our community, yet actually thinks and acts like someone absolutely important. I hate you for asking me for advice and then deliberately disobeying what I just told you. You're incompetent, you never learn, and worst of all you have an ego big enough for the Art Forum to hold a tea party in. You're a stuck-up kid who thinks everything he makes is great! But in reality it's something that a 15 year old would draw.

I actually genuinely wanted to help you the first time, but you were to concerned with how right you are to listen to the advice you asked for. Plus, I don't want you commenting on other people's threads, giving "advice". You have no right to that, considering that you disrespected everyone by being such a self-righteous, ego-centric delusional manchild.

I think everyone's lives in the forum would be better if you either changed or leaved forever, Guess which will come first?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 16:52:07

I think this turned out pretty well! If my shading keeps going in this direction, this is going to be one hell of a piece (at least, to me anyways)!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 18:59:13

At 11/13/12 04:52 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I think this turned out pretty well! If my shading keeps going in this direction, this is going to be one hell of a piece (at least, to me anyways)!

Alright here's a tip on the hair thing. For long hair generally speaking the top layer of hair all comes from the top of the scalp from the hair line. The way you texture the hair makes it look like it just starts out of nowhere. Make the strands start at the hair line instead of just drawing lines that go to the top of the head.

yellow line = hairline.

My Art Thread Re-do

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 19:29:00

At 11/13/12 06:59 PM, JackDGreatest wrote:
At 11/13/12 04:52 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I think this turned out pretty well! If my shading keeps going in this direction, this is going to be one hell of a piece (at least, to me anyways)!
Alright here's a tip on the hair thing. For long hair generally speaking the top layer of hair all comes from the top of the scalp from the hair line. The way you texture the hair makes it look like it just starts out of nowhere. Make the strands start at the hair line instead of just drawing lines that go to the top of the head.

yellow line = hairline.

SON OF A BITCH!!! Now I have to redo all the shading! Oh well...Thanks for your help! I really wish I would have caught that sooner!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 20:30:13

I am almost done with her skin, after which will be the clothes. Also, I redirected the hair detailing, as JackDaGreatest pointed, so thanks so much for that. Really appreciate the favor on that one!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-13 22:28:58

At 11/13/12 09:52 PM, TheLulzyArtist wrote:
At 11/13/12 08:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Can you please complete something, it's rather hard to judge and critique an incomplete work. I wanna say that I feel that the skin and hair conflict with each other just by the way it's painted but I cannot be sure until it's done. I also noticed in another comment of your's you said that you were gonna stick this in a background, I don't think that's the wise thing to do because in my opinion it's much harder to make a background's shading/lighting to match a character/object than vice-versa.

I've already made a concept sketch for that. Also, how would you shade the skin, might I ask? I like the way it's turning out so far, but a little bit of advice wouldn't hurt.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 10:27:29

At 11/13/12 11:26 PM, KaDoYuu wrote:
At 11/13/12 10:28 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
a little bit of advice wouldn't hurt.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Though, isn't there another way to construct a pose other than using a skeleton that's a little...simpler?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 12:43:11

At 11/14/12 10:27 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Though, isn't there another way that's a little...simpler?

Nope. You wanna get better, you work harder.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 17:36:20

At 11/14/12 10:39 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 11/14/12 10:38 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 11/14/12 10:36 AM, Amaranthus wrote:

Hope this helps a little.
let me try that again
I give up, apologies.

It's fine. I found one of the links that works, and I have to say that I am quite surprised that I didn't think of that method earlier.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 17:38:04

At 11/14/12 12:43 PM, Otto wrote:
At 11/14/12 10:27 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Though, isn't there another way that's a little...simpler?

Agreed, but there's always an easier route to get what needs to get done done. Does it still require hard work? Tons. So while the method is easier, the amount of drawing you will be doing will be more or less the same.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 18:23:25

At 11/14/12 05:47 PM, JoseFonz wrote:
At 11/14/12 12:43 PM, Otto wrote:
You do realize that it's possible to simplify the framework, right? Yeah, I'm willing to bet you do, so why not simply tell him?

I know that, which is why I shrank down his sentence in the quote to what he was really thinking, which is 'why isn't drawing really good really easy when I want it now'

Obviously there are easier ways to look at structuring the frame of a body; I would cite Andrew Loomis as a source that needed no other references really, unless you wanted the comfort of plenty of sources.

All of Andrew Loomis' books can be downloaded here for free as .pdfs and the one you want is Figure Drawing For All It's Worth. Although really, you want it all, because it's all good good good good stuff.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 19:02:20

At 11/14/12 06:23 PM, Otto wrote: Obviously there are easier ways to look at structuring the frame of a body; I would cite Andrew Loomis as a source that needed no other references really, unless you wanted the comfort of plenty of sources.

All of Andrew Loomis' books can be downloaded here for free as .pdfs and the one you want is Figure Drawing For All It's Worth. Although really, you want it all, because it's all good good good good stuff.

Why is it that everyone and their mom constantly give loomis as generic art advise, there are way better artists to study and he's not the end all be all of art skill. Glen Vilpu, Burne Hogarth, Bridgeman,Nicolaides or for Hiryu the McDonalds coloring books, which i'm sure he won't even finish coloring until first he posts them here 5 times asking for advice and not taking it.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-14 19:29:52

Obviously there are easier ways to look at structuring the frame of a body; I would cite Andrew Loomis as a source that needed no other references really, unless you wanted the comfort of plenty of sources.

I'll definitely check it out, and after I am done with this painting I am working on, I will definitely be doing a shit ton o' pose practice.

BBS Signature