00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best 3D Animation Software?

4,842 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-08-07 05:11:30

What is the best 3D animation software?
What is the best 3D animation software for FREE?

I installed Blender. I'm completely new to animating 3D stuffs although I have been doing Flash for couple of years.

So Blender vs Autodesk Maya, which would win?
I haven't tried neither of them yet and Maya is expensive as hell!

Thanks.

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-08-07 05:30:39

Maya is a fantastic program and if you're a student you can download a free version

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-08-07 06:24:11

Blender is hard to use sorta imo.
I only use it if i have to.
I've only used blender to do modelling.

Theres no "best". Learning is all the same no matter the program, its hard at first, then its like riding a bike.
The USER INTERFACE will be a problem for you in blender at the beginning maybe and you will have to figure it out.
Find a recent tutorial on youtube.

Its pretty easy to transfer your knowledge from one program to another once you've learned it.
But really just start with any program (Seriously it wont matter, just flip a coin.) Get on youtube watch tutorials if you're self teaching etc.
If you plan to enroll in a course make sure you know which program they're teaching on and get that one.
If you're a student, Max/ Maya's got like a 3(?) year free trial.
Also Max is easier than Maya, but Maya is probably more errr.. professional? Or rather precise?

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-08-07 11:49:10

At 8/7/12 06:24 AM, Informant wrote: Blender is hard to use sorta imo.
I only use it if i have to.
I've only used blender to do modelling.

Theres no "best". Learning is all the same no matter the program, its hard at first, then its like riding a bike.
The USER INTERFACE will be a problem for you in blender at the beginning maybe and you will have to figure it out.
Find a recent tutorial on youtube.

Its pretty easy to transfer your knowledge from one program to another once you've learned it.
But really just start with any program (Seriously it wont matter, just flip a coin.) Get on youtube watch tutorials if you're self teaching etc.
If you plan to enroll in a course make sure you know which program they're teaching on and get that one.
If you're a student, Max/ Maya's got like a 3(?) year free trial.
Also Max is easier than Maya, but Maya is probably more errr.. professional? Or rather precise?

on the note about max vs maya I like to say that maya holds your hand less, you can do pretty much whatever you want but you can also screw up alot of things if you don't know what you're doing. Things in maya is alot more open and you can tweak whatever you want.

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-08-11 15:57:07

At 8/7/12 11:49 AM, Magical-Arts wrote: on the note about max vs maya I like to say that maya holds your hand less, you can do pretty much whatever you want but you can also screw up alot of things if you don't know what you're doing. Things in maya is alot more open and you can tweak whatever you want.

maya is the one that really in my opinion is easier to learn, with max all i can do is put a ragdoll on the grid i cant model a thing in it

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-09-11 13:54:08

What is the best 3D animation software:

Autodesk Maya by a long shot. I also heard 3DS Max is decent although I've never used it personally.

What is the best 3D animation software for FREE:

I'm not entirely sure as I don't really use free 3D software, although as mentioned above, if you're a student you can get Maya for free for about 3 - 4 years. As for exclusively free, the only other program I've heard about is Blender.

BBS Signature

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-11-14 01:23:02

There is no best.

I use Lightwave 3d. But telling you why would just start a flame war of workflow beliefs and stuff :).

I can say this for certain. Blender is worth learning even if you choose another software, even if most people will agree its interface is very hard to get past its very unorthadox and hard-to-learn interface. You can use Blender to circumvent SPECIFIC weaknesses in commercial software packages. (IE: a robust node-based compositing solution or fluid dynamics).

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-11-14 05:36:18

At 8/7/12 05:11 AM, ShockBlaze wrote: What is the best 3D animation software?

I installed Blender. I'm completely new to animating 3D stuffs although I have been doing Flash for couple of years.

Thanks.

Maya is slightly better, but it's not worth the money when something like Blender is around IMO.

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-11-29 06:29:07

My favorite is Cinema 4D (obvious due to my username). It's kind of similar to Maya in layout, but it just feels better in my opinion. I can't really explain it, it's just personal preference.

Personally, I don't really like Blender. Don't get me wrong, the fact that it's free makes it automatically worth getting especially for all the stuff that it can do. I just never liked the layout. It always seemed like the developers purposely made everything so darn hard to find. The first time I used Blender, it took me 10 whole minutes to finally figure out how to pop in a freakin' cube. To me, that's just inexcusable.

But I do have a few friends who use Blender and they enjoy it. In the end, it's all personal preference. Each 3D software can do just about anything, it's just which you personally prefer for some bizarre reason or the other.

Response to Best 3D Animation Software? 2012-12-01 17:25:13

At 8/7/12 05:11 AM, ShockBlaze wrote: What is the best 3D animation software?

Thanks.

as for best free 3d software its either blender or if you are willing to do the extra work to get your models imported, source filmmaker.